Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, What's Up with the Baseball Team??

Started by lunchbox72703, March 26, 2006, 07:04:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lunchbox72703

razorhead69

So am I. Digging a heck of a hole to climb out of.

HognotinMemphis

Nice. Giving up a 2 run homer in the 9th at home in a tie game to lose. Another choke job by another Hog team. They kill all the cream puffs in the non conf. schedule then start 1-4 in SEC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

TorsinAHog

I guess its a slump or maybe the funk of the rest of the programs are rubbing off on them :puke:
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hogfan064

I think you're getting worried about nothing right now.  They're off to a slow start in the SEC.  Georgia is a very good team.  Their only losses this year are to Alabama and at Southern Cal.  Georgia's RPI is currently 6th, the Hogs are currently 12th.  The Hogs are losing close games, eventually they will break out.  The SEC is just so tough that it's hard to have 3 key injuries and expect not to lose some games.  In 2 months we'll be talking about regional play.

lunchbox72703

Over the past two years, I have become a Razorback baseball fan (and the only baseball team I like at all).  It has become a breath of fresh air between football and basketball.  It also has been nice to see a razorback team that was successful.  But, after this year, I dunno of I can take another disappointing razorback sport. :-\

hogfan064

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2006, 08:08:04 am
Nice. Giving up a 2 run homer in the 9th at home in a tie game to lose. Another choke job by another Hog team. They kill all the cream puffs in the non conf. schedule then start 1-4 in SEC.

The Hogs didn't exactly have a creampuff schedule.  It was just as good as any SEC school. Look at the OOC wins

1. Oklahoma State 15-6 overall and we no hit them
2. South Alabama  16-10 overall and will be a regional team
3. TCU  was a top 25 team when we beat them.  They are struggling
4. 3 wins over La Tech  RPI is  a repectable 62nd
5. Hawaii  19-8 overall record.  They will be a regional team likely
6. 3 wins over CS Northridge.  RPI is 53rd.  They've beaten Arizona State, Oklahoma State, and Washington.  Currently on a 5 game win streak

Our SOS is currently 33rd.  Compare that to current SEC leader SOuth Carolina who's SOS is 118

pigfeet

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on March 26, 2006, 08:11:54 am
Over the past two years, I have become a Razorback baseball fan (and the only baseball team I like at all).  It has become a breath of fresh air between football and basketball.  It also has been nice to see a razorback team that was successful.  But, after this year, I dunno of I can take another disappointing razorback sport. :-\

Thats baseball, at least DVH won't embarrass us (HDN and Fresh Legs)

mikeirwin

Veteran players are letting them down at the plate. Parker, Dugger, Walker, and Arnold killed them in key hitting situations yesterday.
It's very strange. They hired by all accounts the best hitting coach in the SEC in Todd Butler.  I'm wondering if he didn't make so many changes that some of these guys are not adjusting. I remember John Mc Donnell hiring a new field events coach many years ago. The guy changed the windup of their shot putter and the kid went from being one of the best in the country to being very average.
This may not have anything to do with the hitting slump of those players. It's just something I'm looking into. Parker in particular raves about Butler and all he learned from him. That tells me that Parker has made some changes at the plate and yet Parker was to off pretty good start before he went into an all out slump several games ago.
It's not an easy thing to figure out why but the problem itself is easy to see. Guys who should be hitting the baseball aren't getting it done.

PorcineSublime

Sometimes it seems to me to be a case of what we all yell at Stan about. Wrong players for the system we want to use. We have a lot of guys who want to hit for power, and we are trying to make them play smallball. The main difference here is that the switch is not nearly as difficult and I feel we will get it done. Just hope our season is not wasted by the time we do get there.

No excuse for losing last night. We left a man on third with one out or less in three consecutive innings. Got to do better for sure. I think/hope that we will.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

krack1925

very frustrating...  DVH changed the lineup a ton and it seemed to work at the start but as it got colder so did our bats.....  I think it might be as simple as they don't like the cold.  Baseball is full of stuff that makes no sence to me but I know it is true.... slumps and streaks are contagious.  I am hoping we come out of this one today.... 

hogmary

Rhoads gave up one hit in 4 innings, unfortunately, it was a 2-run homer in the top of the 9th to win the game for Georgia.  Injuries  haven't helped either.  Our second baseman, Marquardt, blew out his knee.  His freshman replacement, Ewing, was doing a good job and hitting well, too.
Now he is out with a stress fracture in his foot.  Logan Forsythe, another freshman, had his redshirt lifted and is Ewing's replacement.  Willard (another freshman) is playing shortstop for Ben T.  While understandable, their fielding mistakes and errors were deadly yesterday.  Mike is right, we are getting no production from some of our upper classmen at the plate.  Schmidt had 13 strike outs on Friday night and we lost 2-0.  Hamblin hit a grand slam yesterday, and we lost.  Someone has got to step up at the plate, and soon.

hogfan13

Quite you Texas logo lovin poster

#9man

Quote from: hogfan13 on March 26, 2006, 11:18:13 am
Quite you Texas logo lovin poster
that doesnt make sense, but he isnt a real hog fan, so hogmemphis can SHUT UP

hogman64

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 26, 2006, 08:48:52 am
Veteran players are letting them down at the plate. Parker, Dugger, Walker, and Arnold killed them in key hitting situations yesterday.
It's very strange. They hired by all accounts the best hitting coach in the SEC in Todd Butler.  I'm wondering if he didn't make so many changes that some of these guys are not adjusting. I remember John Mc Donnell hiring a new field events coach many years ago. The guy changed the windup of their shot putter and the kid went from being one of the best in the country to being very average.
This may not have anything to do with the hitting slump of those players. It's just something I'm looking into. Parker in particular raves about Butler and all he learned from him. That tells me that Parker has made some changes at the plate and yet Parker was to off pretty good start before he went into an all out slump several games ago.
It's not an easy thing to figure out why but the problem itself is easy to see. Guys who should be hitting the baseball aren't getting it done.

I agree about the swings.. I am wondering   if those guys you mentioned are having trouble with some changes now that they are seeing better pitching.. i have watched  all the games I can on razorzone and the guys swings seem amazingly similar and some different from last year and they seem to get under the ball a lot.. especially the four guys you mentioned I bet they are not hitting a .100 in SEC play and they were all counted on  to hit and drive in runs,, it hurts alot to have that much punch taken out of the lineup..............they have pretty much been automatic outs..