Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Gillespie

Started by Puerco Diablo, March 25, 2006, 10:38:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Puerco Diablo

Gillespie proved his coaching metal by turning around a pathetic UTEP program in one year and then performing the same miracle on an equally pathetic TAMU team this year. A&M won 4 games last year.

Soon he will be wooed away from A&M and we will be stuck with someonewho is just good enough to not get fired.  Does anyone think that Heath is what is best for the long term success of Arkansas hoops?

wrightobe

Quote from: Puerco Diablo on March 25, 2006, 10:38:12 am
Gillespie proved his coaching metal by turning around a pathetic UTEP program in one year and then performing the same miracle on an equally pathetic TAMU team this year. A&M won 4 games last year.

Soon he will be wooed away from A&M and we will be stuck with someonewho is just good enough to not get fired.  Does anyone think that Heath is what is best for the long term success of Arkansas hoops?
Yes, I think it is very possible with Stan Heath, because of his national recruiting abilities.

I have seen on this forum, posting of overall percentage of won and lost basketball games, for Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson, and Stan Heath.

I was wondering, if anyone has posted the won and lost percentage for these three coaches for the first four years at the U of A, which I believe would be a more favorable comparison, as to the future of the basketball program.

I am sure Eddie Sutton's record would be the best, but I honestly do not know, and would be interested.

Hog1751

Suttons record would be best, followed by Nolans and then Stans. I will say the program was not in as bad of shape when either Eddie or Nolan took over as it was when Stan took over.

zwhogfan

I agree, the program was in absolutely horrible shape when Stan got here. He literally had almost nothing to work with. Things would have been different for him early if guys like JJ Sullinger stayed instead of going to Ohio State. Heath has improved the program every year and brought in top rated recruiting classes, though all the recruits haven't necessarily panned out. I think everyone is frustrated at Stan because the progress with the program isn't instant. We all, including me, want to go back to the glory days of the early and mid 90s when a sweet 16 minimum was guaranteed every year. I hope we will be back there soon, with the talent on the team I see no reason why we shouldn't. With that said, I believe Stan has also made a fair share of mistakes, like not pressing v. Bucknell so we would have "fresh legs." Makes no sense to me. I just know that Stan needs to win big if he is going to stay. Another one and done in the NCAA isn't going to make me or any other hog fans happy. He is getting it turned around but if he doesn't turn the corner soon, he should be gone IMO.

hogtheball

Thanks for the post.  Gillespie is a great coach.  I think we'll probably be hearing his name a lot while schools are trying to fill the position after the tournament.  I doubt he'll be at A&M next year. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

wrightobe

Quote from: hogtheball on March 25, 2006, 11:37:39 am
Thanks for the post.  Gillespie is a great coach.  I think we'll probably be hearing his name a lot while schools are trying to fill the position after the tournament.  I doubt he'll be at A&M next year. 
Does not Texas A & M have the rich boosters and supporters to give Gillespie a huge raise, if that is what it takes to keep him at A & M?

hogtheball

Quote from: wrightobe on March 25, 2006, 11:42:46 am
Quote from: hogtheball on March 25, 2006, 11:37:39 am
Does not Texas A & M have the rich boosters and supporters to give Gillespie a huge raise, if that is what it takes to keep him at A & M?

They better start counting the money:  He is currently under contract for $125,000 per year at A&M through the 07-08 season.  By comparison, Heath makes around $800,000.  I think A&M will need at least that to keep him. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

firecampbell

money won't be a factor believe it or not....he went to TCU and has no ties to A&M what so ever.  They will always be second to UT and he wants to go to a bigger school.  Everyone in Texas knows that he will be gone regardless of money.

Puerco Diablo

Quote from: firecampbell on March 25, 2006, 07:17:47 pm
money won't be a factor believe it or not....he went to TCU and has no ties to A&M what so ever.  They will always be second to UT and he wants to go to a bigger school.  Everyone in Texas knows that he will be gone regardless of money.
Also factor in that TAMU athletics is upside down.  Gillespie makes nothing compared to coach Fran but is more successful.  Barnes makes about 50% of what Mack Brown makes at UT.  By my scattered logic, Gillespie needs to make close to a Million a year to stay at TAMU.  Aggies won't do it... though the man has proven his worth.

4thdownnutt

a&m and money=no problem -- they have it

razorbacker80

Count me in as ONE who would love to see Gillsepie coaching the Hogs next year. 

hogtheball

Quote from: razorbacker80 on March 25, 2006, 09:35:31 pm
Count me in as ONE who would love to see Gillsepie coaching the Hogs next year. 

I think everybody is scared to agree with you.  Your avatar is very frightening.  I have to get out of this thread now.