Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I thought our Coach was an idiot...

Started by RazrBakr, March 23, 2006, 11:37:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazrBakr

But Gonzaga's is a complete M-O-R-O-N!!!
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

Salvaboar Dali

March 23, 2006, 11:40:56 pm #1 Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:51:38 pm by Salvaboar Dali
Quote from: RazrBakr on March 23, 2006, 11:37:17 pm

On that note: he (Mark Few) is being pursued for the Indiana Job. Mizzou also wants him. He is also the one coach in the USA (other than Coach K) I would fire Heath tomorrow to get.

hawgfan80

What exactly did Few do that you would consider him a moron? I'm pretty sure he didn't turn the ball over, or foul anyone, or miss any jumpers.

hogtheball

The basketball world will be shocked to find that out.  Especially the coaches and athletic directors around the country.  Mark Few is probably the most sought after coach in college basketball right now (because coach K will never leave Duke).  Do you even follow college basketball?
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Richard_white

Gonzaga in the sweet 16 and Arkansas watching it.

To me that makes Stan smart

freedomcounty

Mark Few is a good coach, but he's overhyped just like Gonzaga. Adam Morrison was a marginal high school player that exploded in college. He's good, but he's not that good. I'd rather have Billy Donovan.

Lando Calrissian

UCLA was dead in the freakin' water and Gonzaga's (aka Mark Few's) decision to go to that ridiculous "hold the ball until there is 5 seconds left on the shot clock" routine is what cost them the game.  Plain and simple.

3 minutes is a LOT of time in basketball.  I believe UCLA was down by around 9 points for most of the 2nd half.  That is only 3 possessions.  Mathematically speaking (which I hate), even by running the shot clock down everytime, the other team still has PLENTY of time to make up that margin considering you aren't getting any points via the bad shots you *have* to take because of the shot clock.

I always felt that Gonzaga was a bit overrated anyway, but if I'm a Gonzaga fan right now then I'm freakin' p*ssed over how the 2nd half of that game was handled by that coaching staff.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

riccoar

Not to mention that once the steal was made Gonzaga did not hustle back to help.  Few should have called a TO after UCLA went up by 1 to settle his boys down.  Instead that knucklehead tried to drive the length of the floor and lost the ball costing them the game.

hogfankb

Quote from: hawgfan80 on March 23, 2006, 11:55:28 pm
What exactly did Few do that you would consider him a moron? I'm pretty sure he didn't turn the ball over, or foul anyone, or miss any jumpers.

Anyone think the gonzaga fans are complaining because that kid was in the game? I didn't get to see the end of the game so I don't know which player it was. I know if he was an arkansas player fans across the state would be yelling "why wasn't mccurdy in!!" or if it was mccurdy in "why was a freshman handling the ball in crutch time!!"

Those excuses sure seem to be what cost us the game against Bucknell(+FT shooting) but that was stan's fault?

Fan's are crazy.

RedSatinHog

I would absolutely stop following the Razorbacks completely if Few were hired in Fayetteville.

What his team did in the last 0:15 of the game last night was unthinkable.  Three possessions during that stretch, and Adam Morrison touched the ball ONCE--in the BACKCOURT!!!

That would have been like Sutton giving the ball to anyone but Moncrief in '79 when any game was on the line.  He would have been burned at the stake for it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hogtheball

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 25, 2006, 05:23:29 am
I would absolutely stop following the Razorbacks completely if Few were hired in Fayetteville.

What his team did in the last 0:15 of the game last night was unthinkable.  Three possessions during that stretch, and Adam Morrison touched the ball ONCE--in the BACKCOURT!!!

That would have been like Sutton giving the ball to anyone but Moncrief in '79 when any game was on the line.  He would have been burned at the stake for it.

Actually, Arkansas lost a few close games in '79-80 in which Mocrief didn't get the ball much in the last three possessions.  Duke lost Thursday because Paulison (the freshman point guard) tried to take charge and had a couple of key turnovers in the last minute and failed to get the ball to the shooters - I guess you'd freak out if coach K was hired by Arkansas too.  Can anybody even count the number of times Dean Smith's teams lost in the last two minutes due to stupid plays and missed assignments?  It's all part of college basketball.  Coaches are great one minute and terrible the next. 

Mark Few is a GREAT coach.  He didn't build the Gonzaga program (Dan Monson get's a lot of credit for that), but he's done incredibly well there. 

The truth is, Gonzaga's point guard, Derek Raivio, make a couple of bad plays (in an otherwise great game) and Batista - the teams go-to big man - fell apart the last 7 minutes of the game.  Also, the athleticism of UCLA took its toll on Gonzag in the second-half and showed why depth is so important.

Few's career record is 159-37 in his six years as head coach following 10 years on the Bulldogs bench as an assistant. The 159 victories tie him with Roy Williams for most victories by a NCAA Division I sixth-year head coach, Williams turning the trick his first six years at the University of Kansas. His 133 victories rank second for a fifth-year head coach in NCAA Division I history as do his 105 wins through four seasons. 

Oh, and he's done this at Gonzaga with an enrollment of under 5,000 students and very little money.  Gonzaga is about the size of Henderson State University in Arkadelphia. 

To suggest that he's anything less than an incredible basketball coach is to proclaim your complete ignorance of the sport of college basketball.  If coach K retired next year, Mark Few would be one of the three coaches they would call.  If, for some reason, Mark Few wanted to leave Gonzaga, he would be the number one candidate for every single coaching job in the country.  Thank God you're not an athletic director at Arknasas.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

arkhogdog61

RazrBakr you started this topic and then didn't respond, whats up with that!
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Calling All Hogs

It's important to note that our coach is, in fact, an idiot regardless of how Gonzaga does!

hogman64

Batista went Nutts on their next to last possession when UCLA stole the ball from him... the point guard was wide open under the UCLA basket and Batista just looked at him standing there and for some reason he decided he needed to hold on to the ball istead of getting rid of it, and subsequently he got stripped of it,, a totally dumb play on Batista's part............Ucla had 4 guys  dogging the ball and if had thrown to the guard he could have taken a couple of dribbles and passed to a wide open Morrison at mid court......Batista wen totally Nutts  IMO.

Porkahontas

Yeah, why on earth would we WANT a coach who could put us in the NCAA tourney every year and be considered one of the top programs in the country given the natural disadvantages Gonzaga faces with recruiting budget, school size, funds, facilities, conference, and everything else.

Hell, I wouldn't want Coach K also because of how lousy Duke did against LSU in the last minute or two. You see Big Baby Davis get that rebound off his missed free throw? I wouldn't want a coach who couldn't teach his kids to block out on a free throw. I've got HIGHER standards than that.

Good lord.

hogtheball

We should have some kind of minimum-standard knowledge test for members before allowing anybody to post a new topic on a given sport.   

1.  Dean Smith was coach at what major university?

2.  What was Pete Maravich's nickname?

3.  True or False: Pick and roll is a basketball term that refers to the hairdo made popular by Julius Erving in the 70's.

4. Multiple Choice:  Gonzaga has been a consisent top-20 basketball the last ten years because: (A) They have the best facilities money can buy     (B) They are located right in the middle of the best talent-pool in the country,   (C)  They have access to a lot more money than the public schools with which they are competing,  or (D) great coaching.

Answer key:  1. North Carolina    2.  Pistol    3. False    4. D
If you missed one or more of these questions, please refrain from posting basketball-related topics on any message board.

hogtheball

Geez, I thought extreme sarcasm might draw the original poster out.  No such luck.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Porkahontas on March 25, 2006, 11:35:43 am

Hell, I wouldn't want Coach K also because of how lousy Duke did against LSU in the last minute or two. You see Big Baby Davis get that rebound off his missed free throw? I wouldn't want a coach who couldn't teach his kids to block out on a free throw. I've got HIGHER standards than that.

Good lord.

Fatigue made cowards out of Duke. Big Baby made what had to be the most embarrassing rebound in Blue Devil history.

razorback44

Quote from: hogman64 on March 25, 2006, 11:26:49 am
Batista went Nutts on their next to last possession when UCLA stole the ball from him... the point guard was wide open under the UCLA basket and Batista just looked at him standing there and for some reason he decided he needed to hold on to the ball istead of getting rid of it, and subsequently he got stripped of it,, a totally dumb play on Batista's part............Ucla had 4 guys  dogging the ball and if had thrown to the guard he could have taken a couple of dribbles and passed to a wide open Morrison at mid court......Batista wen totally Nutts  IMO.

That is exactly what I was thinking, I can't believe people haven't been making a bigger deal out of this.  Batista looked right at Ravio, paused, and then turned away...only to get stripped.  If he would have just passed the ball, the game would probably have been over.  It seemed almost like he threw the game.  Anyone would have thrown the ball to the WIDE OPEN guy when there is 15 seconds left in the game with a one point lead.  It just made no sense.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

hogtheball

Quote from: razorback44 on March 26, 2006, 01:01:20 am
Quote from: hogman64 on March 25, 2006, 11:26:49 am

That is exactly what I was thinking, I can't believe people haven't been making a bigger deal out of this.  Batista looked right at Ravio, paused, and then turned away...only to get stripped.  If he would have just passed the ball, the game would probably have been over.  It seemed almost like he threw the game.  Anyone would have thrown the ball to the WIDE OPEN guy when there is 15 seconds left in the game with a one point lead.  It just made no sense.

I don't know, maybe Batista was worried about Raivio's 94% free throw percentage in a fouling situation?

Richard_white

Quote from: hogtheball on March 25, 2006, 11:50:08 am
We should have some kind of minimum-standard knowledge test for members before allowing anybody to post a new topic on a given sport.  

1.  Dean Smith was coach at what major university?

2.  What was Pete Maravich's nickname?

3.  True or False: Pick and roll is a basketball term that refers to the hairdo made popular by Julius Erving in the 70's.

4. Multiple Choice:  Gonzaga has been a consisent top-20 basketball the last ten years because: (A) They have the best facilities money can buy     (B) They are located right in the middle of the best talent-pool in the country,   (C)  They have access to a lot more money than the public schools with which they are competing,  or (D) great coaching.

Answer key:  1. North Carolina    2.  Pistol    3. False    4. D
If you missed one or more of these questions, please refrain from posting basketball-related topics on any message board.

Damn it, I thought the answer to #4 was Fresh Legs