Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I do not Believe in "Win-at-all-Costs."

Started by WilsonHog, September 12, 2017, 11:24:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

why can't a coach run basically a clean program, graduate kids, and try to win championships. why does winning championships have to mean win at all cost.

I think are baseball & track teams have chances to win titles, are they win at all cost programs.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgmasta

Quote from: Kevin on September 13, 2017, 08:00:39 am
why can't a coach run basically a clean program, graduate kids, and try to win championships. why does winning championships have to mean win at all cost.

I think are baseball & track teams have chances to win titles, are they win at all cost programs.

That's a good question but I think it has to do with the amount of money being made and spent. Whenever any sort of business is throwing around this kind of moolah there will be some that do anything to get ahead.

And let's not kid ourselves SEC football is big business.

Kevin

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 13, 2017, 08:03:51 am
That's a good question but I think it has to do with the amount of money being made and spent. Whenever any sort of business is throwing around this kind of moolah there will be some that do anything to get ahead.

And let's not kid ourselves SEC football is big business.

I ask the question based on it seems our ad thinks you either are a win at all cost or mediocre.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HotlantaHog

To those who say we are having this discussion a little early, I kind of agree .... but I also think it's reasonable for folks to look at the TCU game (and end of last year) and extrapolate into the future.

Texas A&M is a bad team, has played pretty badly all year. I think Arkansas will win that game -- Arkansas has every reason to be motivated having lost to the Aggies year after year, and it wouldn't seem to be that difficult. South Carolina is a middling team -- likely to finish in the middle to lower part of the SEC East. They would be near the bottom of the SEC West. Muschamp isn't that great of a head coach, as he has proven in the SEC.

If Arkansas can somehow win those two games, a lot of the Fire Bielema and Fire JL talk will calm down a bit, and a winning season (7-5 or 8-4) would seem plausible. Lose ONE of those two games, and it gets difficult to see the season getting better. Who really thinks this team can compete with Alabama or LSU or Auburn for that matter?

HotlantaHog

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 11:41:41 pm
I don't think you will find many Bielema defenders at this point. What it has come down to is those who worshipped Bobby P making that argument by the back door of abusing Jeff Long, suggesting in essence he had no reason to fire Bobby. In other words if you think Petrino was the second coming then Jeff Long must be the devil.
You can believe Bobby Petrino is a very bad guy and think there would be some way to keep him on with a suspension, and negotiate the penalties over time. ...

GuvHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 13, 2017, 08:18:21 am
You can believe Bobby Petrino is a very bad guy and think there would be some way to keep him on with a suspension, and negotiate the penalties over time. ...

Exactly. What Bobby did was wrong but his transgressions did not merit termination.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on September 13, 2017, 08:12:01 am
I ask the question based on it seems our ad thinks you either are a win at all cost or mediocre.

No, some who are win at all cost read and hear his comments AND INFER or IMPLY that he thinks that, even though NOTHING he said really means that at all.

But it goes deeper. It goes to the point that some fans believe the only way teams are winning is cheating, and therefore the Hogs should sell their souls and do the same. Here is the problem with that though, even if everyone is cheating, doing so yourself won't guarantee winning because everyone else may just start cheating more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JIMMY BOARFFETT

We need someone in charge of this program who has that "fire in their belly."  A fire that hasn't been quenched by a 15 million dollar buyout.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 08:31:39 am
Exactly. What Bobby did was wrong but his transgressions did not merit termination.
He had the opp to stay and chose something else.  There's another entire thread on it in the first page here.  But go ahead and blame Jeff Long and me and anyone else that was embarrassed by that April Fools junk. 

hogsanity

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on September 13, 2017, 08:49:47 am
We need someone in charge of this program who has that "fire in their belly."  A fire that hasn't been quenched by a 15 million dollar buyout.

Yea, cause " want to " has to be the problem. Actually "want to" is the problem, as in elite players do not have the "want to" come play here when they can go anywhere they "want to" and play all they "want To" usually closer to those who " want to " see them play " and " want to " do so in person. Also, the state of Ar does not " want to " do the things that would help make more in state talent because they do not " want to " upset a bunch of people who do not " want to " see their hole in the road school consolidated.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on September 13, 2017, 08:00:39 am

Facilities and history, while we marvel at our football facilities, they are just average in the SEC. As to history of winning, well you know our history in football.....

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 10:54:17 am
Facilities and history, while we marvel at our football facilities, they are just average in the SEC. As to history of winning, well you know our history in football.....

IMO, alot of people are in the anger stage over this as they are finally realizing 7-8 program is exactly what the Hogs program is. They are having trouble accepting that.

Hogdomer

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 10:54:17 am

Our history in football and our current place both indicate we should be able to beat TCU, Texas Tech, Toledo, Texas A&M and Missouri.  This isn't about hogsanity's obsession with making sure the rubes know how stupid they are if they think we can compete with Bama, LSU and Auburn. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: oldbooniehog on September 12, 2017, 08:45:11 pm
And to clarify, I am not defending Bielema.

Fire him all you want to. Run him out of the state.

Hire the coach of your dreams. It won't matter.

Well, it will matter exactly this much.

It will make the difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd in the SEC West vs finishing 6th or 7th.

And that's about as good as it gets for Arkansas since 1992. 

And, how the old coach exits and the new coach arrives can sure add some years between the 6th/7th and the 2nd/3rd.

I really enjoy your posts in this thread.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogman64

probably not accurate to judge by appearance , but actually sometimes a change in appearance  is an indication of how someone is   functioning
in other ways......

Look at the BB the day we hired him and look at the BB now.....

At times I  feel like maybe  Wisconsin had that coach we hired on that day  and we have the one you see now....

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 12, 2017, 05:28:48 pm
You all will be kissing on Jeff and Bert when they end the season 11-1...(I'm not drunk, but wish I was) count on it!   You'll all be saying what a brilliant AD Jeff is for having a significant buyout for Bret...

:) :D ;D

HatfieldHog

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!