Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the scrimmage today

Started by Mike Irwin, March 10, 2018, 04:45:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Cole Kelley went 10 of 12 for 137 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Ty Storey was 8 of 13 for 108 yards and one touchdown.

Daulton Hyatt, just 2 for 7 for 16 yards and no touchdowns.

No surprise.

March 10, 2018, 04:50:19 pm #1 Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:54:36 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 04:45:20 pm

No surprise.
Like Pokey says, competition is over and Hyatt is the starter.

Mike Irwin

In the running game Chase Hayden and Maleek Williams combined for 16 carries and a 141 yards, that's right at nine yards per rush. Williams also scored a touchdown. T.J. Hammonds had only 16 yards on eight carries but scored twice.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 05:06:04 pm
In the running game Chase Hayden and Maleek Williams combined for 16 carries and a 141 yards, that's right at nine yards per rush. Williams also scored a touchdown. T.J. Hammonds had only 16 yards on eight carries but scored twice.

Was there a long breakaway skewing the 9 yds per carry stat?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on March 10, 2018, 05:08:12 pm
Was there a long breakaway skewing the 9 yds per carry stat?
Hayden had runs of 17 and 42 yards. Williams went for 21 and 30 yards.

Mike Irwin

There were nine sacks in the scrimmage. Two each for Jamario Bell, Dre Greenlaw and T.J. Smith. Randy Ramsey, Gabe Richardson and Santos Ramirez each had a sack.

David Porter, Micahh Smith, Scoota Harris, Armon Watts and Bell each had a TFL. Morris was really high on Ramsey and Bell after the scrimmage.

Snout team

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 05:35:47 pm
There were nine sacks in the scrimmage. Two each for Jamario Bell, Dre Greenlaw and T.J. Smith. Randy Ramsey, Gabe Richardson and Santos Ramirez each had a sack.

David Porter, Micahh Smith, Scoota Harris, Armon Watts and Bell each had a TFL. Morris was really high on Ramsey and Bell after the scrimmage.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy but that sounds like our OLine still has a long way to go.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

lahhog

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 10, 2018, 05:38:53 pm
I'm a glass half full kind of guy but that sounds like our OLine still has a long way to go.

A "sack" in spring ball is anytime somebody gets within 5 yards of the qb. Being at the practice I personally thought they could've let plays go on longer. That number is also split between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings O lines.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: lahhog on March 10, 2018, 05:46:42 pm
A "sack" in spring ball is anytime somebody gets within 5 yards of the qb. Being at the practice I personally thought they could've let plays go on longer. That number is also split between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd strings O lines.
Good point. Morris was pretty happy with the O-line play in the scrimmage saying they've out performed his expectations so far. He singled out Brian Wallace and Hjalte Froholdt for their efforts today.

Swinesong

Did Storey go against first team defense and Kelley against the second string?

Al Boarland

Defense must have been lights out.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 05:28:16 pm
Hayden had runs of 17 and 42 yards. Williams went for 21 and 30 yards.

Thanks. That sounds good. An 80 yard run in there would change things a little.

Dark Helmet Hog

The offensive numbers look pretty good to me. Jut wondering what that says about where the defense is at right now.

ricepig

Quote from: Swinesong on March 10, 2018, 06:15:04 pm
Did Storey go against first team defense and Kelley against the second string?

Some of both.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 06:12:55 pm
Good point. Morris was pretty happy with the O-line play in the scrimmage saying they've out performed his expectations so far. He singled out Brian Wallace and Hjalte Froholdt for their efforts today.

Was there a consistent first 5, or were they subbing guys in quite a bit?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Al Boarland

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 10, 2018, 06:26:20 pm
The offensive numbers look pretty good to me. Jut wondering what that says about where the defense is at right now.

I don't think it's a stretch do expect the D to struggle.

twistitup

Mike,

Did Cole look lighter on his feet? How much weight has he lost in your opinion?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

26.2Hog

Quote from: twistitup on March 10, 2018, 06:55:59 pm
Mike,

I'm not Mike, but 5 lbs. according to what I read in the ADG, Little Rock.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: twistitup on March 10, 2018, 06:55:59 pm
Mike,

Around eight pounds. He doesn't look much different running but is arm was noticeably better than the other QBs to me. Of course I think he's going to win the job because not one of the other guys have impressed me at all. But that's opinion. Morris continues to poo poo the notion that any of the QBs is ahead in the game right now.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 10, 2018, 06:26:20 pm
There was some good give and take. The quick whistles helped but with that many sacks and TFL's it would by silly to suggest that the offense dominated. Each had some big plays.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 07:14:34 pm
There was some good give and take. The quick whistles helped but with that many sacks and TFL's it would by silly to suggest that the offense dominated. Each had some big plays.

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. Historically I've always expected the defense to be ahead of the offense and it doesn't seem its been that way for a while now.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 07:14:34 pm

Would much rather hear that than hear one side dominated the other, which usually indicates a major weakness.

How did the secondary look? Are the DBs in position?

twistitup

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 07:12:27 pm
Around eight pounds. He doesn't look much different running but is arm was noticeably better than the other QBs to me. Of course I think he's going to win the job because not one of the other guys have impressed me at all. But that's opinion. Morris continues to poo poo the notion that any of the QBs is ahead in the game right now.

Thanks. He seems to have a natural leadership ability and passion that makes others around his excited - that's a plus too

lahhog

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 10, 2018, 06:49:19 pm
Was there a consistent first 5, or were they subbing guys in quite a bit?

the first five has been Colton Jackson LT, Hjalte Froholdt LG, Dylan Hays C, Johnny Gibson RG, Brian Wallace RT pretty consistently. I think Dalton Wagner has gotten some first team reps at LT at times as well

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Karma on March 10, 2018, 04:50:19 pm
Like Pokey says, competition is over and Hyatt is the starter.
i said no such thing. I said He is the highest rated so stop automatically assuming Cole is the starter.

In case you missed it, they say Storey has the early lead.

Also, NONE of these guys is our QB of teh future anyway. they are  the placeholder. Noland has the best chance of any of them to be the future at QB, especially if DH is a bust.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RaisinHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 10, 2018, 07:46:45 pm
i said no such thing. I said He is the highest rated so stop automatically assuming Cole is the starter.

Also, NONE of these guys is our QB of teh future anyway. they are  the placeholder. Noland has the best chance of any of them to be the future at QB, especially if DH is a bust.

Who said he had the lead ?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 10, 2018, 07:51:10 pm
Who said he had the lead ?
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Ty-Storey-Cole-Kelley-still-battling-for-Arkansas-Razorbacks-quarterback-job-116079982

"Storey, who unofficially completed 8 of 13 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown, has impressed the coaches with his intelligence and work ethic.

In the first practice of spring, he threw the touchdown pass to Michael Woods during a two-minute drill. He has also moved ahead of Kelley in other drills, leading some to speculate he has a slight lead in the race despite the coaches saying that is based on seniority at this time.

"Ty works his butt off," Craddock said. "He works his ever-loving butt off. He's always in the film room. He's in the indoor on his own, going through his reads, going through his progressions.""
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

twistitup

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 10, 2018, 07:54:54 pm
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Ty-Storey-Cole-Kelley-still-battling-for-Arkansas-Razorbacks-quarterback-job-116079982

"Storey, who unofficially completed 8 of 13 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown, has impressed the coaches with his intelligence and work ethic.

In the first practice of spring, he threw the touchdown pass to Michael Woods during a two-minute drill. He has also moved ahead of Kelley in other drills, leading some to speculate he has a slight lead in the race despite the coaches saying that is based on seniority at this time.

"Ty works his butt off," Craddock said. "He works his ever-loving butt off. He's always in the film room. He's in the indoor on his own, going through his reads, going through his progressions.""

The Storey has yet to be written...

ChicoHog

Sounds to me like the QBs all need work on the mental part of the game and Storey has the slight edge there based on the comments from the coaches.  It's a long way to the first game so anything can happen. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 10, 2018, 08:11:16 pm
Sounds to me like the QBs all need work on the mental part of the game and Storey has the slight edge there based on the comments from the coaches.  It's a long way to the first game so anything can happen. 

We will probably have a better idea after they have significantly more than 10% of the offense installed.
Go Hogs Go!

JIHawg

It seems obvious Morris doesn't want a #1 QB to be named at this stage of spring practice.  He wants all the QB  candidates to keep competing for the job.  He probably has a ranking in his mind, but he's not showing his cards this early.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 04:45:20 pm

No surprise.

To many on Hogville and in the casual fan category of our fan base, if you gave the numbers without the names, 10-12 137 yards and 4 TDs would be outstanding.

Then when you put the name with those numbers and it's not their pet QB, it's "he can't run this offense" or the most intellectual of all, "he sucks" or "he was playing against the 3rd string defense."

Then, the same people will build up the 2-7 with 16 yards guy as a budding superstar who would break all the passing records if the HC just didn't play his favorite based on where he's from..

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

onebadrubi

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 10, 2018, 09:12:28 pm
To many on Hogville and in the casual fan category of our fan base, if you gave the numbers without the names, 10-12 137 yards and 4 TDs would be outstanding.

Then when you put the name with those numbers and it's not their pet QB, it's "he can't run this offense" or the most intellectual of all, "he sucks" or "he was playing against the 3rd string defense."

Then, the same people will build up the 2-7 with 16 yards guy as a budding superstar who would break all the passing records if the HC just didn't play his favorite based on where he's from..

QFT

RaisinHog

So I saw an article from SEC country and it had a " depth chart " I found it a lil odd that Austin Capps was not listed on it ... Any one got any insight on this

EastTNHog

Receiving
Tyson Morris 2-60, TD
T.J. Hammonds 4-51
DeVion Warren 3-44
Cheyenne O'Grady 2-33, TD
Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4
Jerrod Barnes 1-3, TD

Is Tyson Morris a redshirt walk-on?

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

SkeeterHawg

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 10, 2018, 09:36:05 pm
So I saw an article from SEC country and it had a " depth chart " I found it a lil odd that Austin Capps was not listed on it ... Any one got any insight on this
Possibly a shoulder surgery so not practicing until healed.

GuvHog

No one said Storey has the early lead.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 07:12:27 pm
"Morris continues to poo poo the notion that any of the QBs is ahead in the game right now."
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

blu

Thanks Mike. Did any of the receivers stand out? Based on the numbers, it appears they were really spreading it around. Good to see the TE receptions. Could help with Henry.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

rhames

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 06, 2018, 08:01:21 am
Been saying Dalton Hyatt. Still sayin Dalton Hyatt.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Snout team

Quote from: lahhog on March 10, 2018, 05:46:42 pm

I knew they were not tackling the QB but if they were blowing the whistle that quickly it explains the number. Thanks
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

WBOBO

Quote from: EastTNHog on March 10, 2018, 09:41:24 pm
Receiving
Tyson Morris 2-60, TD
T.J. Hammonds 4-51
DeVion Warren 3-44
Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4
Jerrod Barnes 1-3, TD

Quote from: EastTNHog on March 10, 2018, 09:41:24 pm
Receiving
Tyson Morris 2-60, TD
T.J. Hammonds 4-51
DeVion Warren 3-44
Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4
Jerrod Barnes 1-3, TD

I hope Mr. Henry sees these stats.  Looks like TE's are
heavily involved in the game plan.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

ricepig

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 10, 2018, 07:11:04 pm
I'm not Mike, but 5 lbs. according to what I read in the ADG, Little Rock.

+1
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Ranger

PIP on March 6....

DALTON HYATT will be the starter, y'all.

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 10, 2018, 07:54:54 pm

Some read this at face value and come away with the idea that Story is currently leading in the QB competition.

I read it and come away with the true message of the coaches comments which is that Cole Kelley needs to learn from Ty's example and spend more time in the film room, and working on other mental aspects of the game.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

ChicoHog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 11, 2018, 09:03:55 am

Some read this at face value and come away with the idea that Story is currently leading in the QB competition.

I read it and come away with the true message of the coaches comments which is that Cole Kelley needs to learn from Ty's example and spend more time in the film room, and working on other mental aspects of the game.
Agreed.  Also thought it was interesting to hear Hammonds needed to work on pass pro.  Last year the coaches said the same thing but Hogville couldn't understand why Hammonds wasn't playing more.  Pretty obvious he needs a lot of work on blocking.  And according to Hayden this offense is much easier to pass pro for the backs than last years so Hammonds will eventually get it I'm sure. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 10, 2018, 06:12:55 pm

Brian Wallace?  What a surprise...