Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why aggressively switch on every screen at the top of the key?

Started by pigsooie1000, January 28, 2017, 11:35:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 02, 2017, 07:02:18 am
Well to be fair, I believe he was talking about our defensive attack vs screens, not our overall record.  You can be happy with our record this year, as I am, and still dislike some of our tactics and the way we show up vs peer teams and those rated better than us.
Agreed. That's about the best way you can put it. I'm happy with our record but there are certain things we could do that would make us even better and more consistent. The talent is already there, clearly.

I think communication is the key with this team. If we communicate we will be hard to beat. If we don't communicate we make it way easier for the opponent.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TheEnemy on January 31, 2017, 05:54:24 pm
You telling me Big O and Darnell Robinson was coming out and switching and playing man on the guards.  Again I don't ever remember that being a big part of Nolan's defense.

When we beat LSU back when they had Chris Jackson and Shaq, I saw Lenzie Howell guarding Shaq in the post on several occasions. I thought it was crazy but we won though.

Temprees

I don't like this switch either, especially with Moses and Thompson, and not every time.   If it happens very late in the shot clock, thats okay. 

Big Nasty 34

A buddy of mine brought up a good point the other day. If we are going to switch all screens, we need to play Thompson and Moses together more so we would still have a rim protector down low if the other is 30 feet from the basket. Maybe upcoming classes will help that, as well.

HoopS

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on February 03, 2017, 03:16:09 pm
A buddy of mine brought up a good point the other day. If we are going to switch all screens, we need to play Thompson and Moses together more so we would still have a rim protector down low if the other is 30 feet from the basket. Maybe upcoming classes will help that, as well.
maybe we are friends because I've said that to anyone who will listen.

I don't like Moses constantly leaving the paint to guard up top. He has good hands and makes some plays, but it usually leaves a void behind him and I suspect some teams bait this action to make scoring in the paint Childs play against us. Usually you'll see Watkins or somebody slide down in there but it seems assbackwards to me to have the best rim protector around chasing guards while a guard mans the paint. Maddening to me and it is a huge point of contention for me. If he's going to do that crap, better have TT or heck maybe Bailey in with the understanding that at least one BIG mans the paint.

elksnort

Quote from: rude1 on January 29, 2017, 09:58:53 am
I would love to hear an answer to this. Every coach we play against believes making that switch over and over favors them, yet our coach some how believes it's an advantage for us. I would love the media to just ask the question to at least see what his thought process is on this, "Coach I notice that you have your big men switch ball screens away from the basket leaving them guarding the opponents guards, what is your thought process on making this switch"?  At least I would like to know there is a thought process involved in why we do this.
The key word is 'process'. Is there one?

rude1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 03, 2017, 09:03:04 am
When we beat LSU back when they had Chris Jackson and Shaq, I saw Lenzie Howell guarding Shaq in the post on several occasions. I thought it was crazy but we won though.
You have pretty good eyesight seeing how Lenzie never played in the SEC and therefore never against Shaq.

elksnort

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 30, 2017, 12:11:17 pm
We have played some of our best defense this year in the matchup zone, where we don't have to execute Mike's idiotic screen switching.
I can not say with 100% certainty, but I think you are correct.

The guards just run by Moses when he is away from the basket. Keepem' in front of you!

elksnort

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 30, 2017, 12:11:17 pm
We have played some of our best defense this year in the matchup zone, where we don't have to execute Mike's idiotic screen switching.
But we do a pretty good job executing his idiotic matchup zone huh... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"