Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guy lands his plane on freeway when engine stalls

Started by 1873Hawg, September 30, 2013, 10:53:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1873Hawg

The 22-year-old pilot, Kyle Davis, and his passenger, Joe Surowiec, were not injured in the landing and declined medical treatment, officials said.

The landing of the dual-seat SkyRanger airplane shortly after 10 a.m. was caught on video by Surowiec, a professional videographer, and was posted on YouTube.

The two landed just west of 29th Street Northwest and Davis guided the plane into a parking lot at Brooks Furniture, 2951 Havendale Blvd. N.W., said Polk County sheriff's spokeswoman Donna Wood

"By the grace of God, there wasn't a whole lot of traffic," Davis said. "If there had been traffic on the road and I thought I was going to put people in danger, I would have landed in the lake."

Deputies were called to the scene, but there wasn't much for them to do. Officials from the National Transportation Safety Board cleared the incident, Wood said.

Two cameras on the plane captured the drama. One focused on the cockpit, taping their conversation, and the other was facing the plane's engine.

The two-minute video begins with Davis at the controls, piloting the plane over Winter Haven.

The engine quits and Davis and Surowiec quickly begin looking for places to land.

"Can we land in that field," Surowiec asks, pointing toward Davis' window.

"I don't think I can get to it," Davis responds.

A few seconds later, Davis is able to restart the plane. Already at a low altitude, the restart only lasts about 15 seconds.

Surowiec again asks about another nearby field, but it's too far.

Davis spots Havendale Boulevard and, in the midst of a few expletives, lines up for his landing.

"I'm going for the road," Davis says in the video.

Another engine restart lasts about six seconds, not enough to make much of a difference. Below them, Havendale approaches fast.

Passing businesses and the occasional car driving on the opposite side of the divided highway, Davis lands in the center lane and quickly steers the plane into the Brooks Furniture parking lot.

"About two minutes into the flight, the engine quit," Davis said Monday. "And I don't know why it quit. We had plenty of fuel."

The pair were flying the plane for a friend to the Sun 'n Fun Fly-In in Lakeland from the Winter Haven Municipal Airport, what is typically a 15-minute flight.

Davis has been a flight instructor for two years and received his pilot's license when he was 18, he said.

"I went through a normal engine-out procedure," he said.

Davis chose the best route to glide the plane in, spotted a place to land and then tried to restart the engine, he said.

"As a pilot and flight instructor, you are told to look for landing spots," Davis said. "Roads work great."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=665_1240456627
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

gotyacovered

nice job... Wasn't going fast enough for prop to windwill, every time it did, it fired. With some altitude I wonder if he could have figured it out. Just had no time.
You are what you tolerate.