Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Home game, which airport?

Started by Dochog90, August 24, 2012, 08:57:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dochog90

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find any specifics.  I'm thinking about flying to the Rutgers football game this year in my 182 from NE Ar.  I've got about 300 hrs VFR, and a little intimidated in busy controlled airspace.  I'd like to know which airport would be best and if I would need to make arrangements before hand for tie-down or transportation to/from the stadium. Any advice would be appreciated. WPS!

bvillepig

August 24, 2012, 08:46:11 pm #1 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:48:08 pm by bvillepig
Quote from: Dochog90 on August 24, 2012, 08:57:27 am
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find any specifics.  I'm thinking about flying to the Rutgers football game this year in my 182 from NE Ar.  I've got about 300 hrs VFR, and a little intimidated in busy controlled airspace.  I'd like to know which airport would be best and if I would need to make arrangements before hand for tie-down or transportation to/from the stadium. Any advice would be appreciated. WPS!
I have flown into drake Springdale Bentonville xna and Rogers
My preference is Rogers mainly because coming from ne ark it is very easy and the approach is right down the middle of beaver lake. Also flatter up there. There are also a lot of hotels rester aunts and wife loves Pinnacle mall.   All of them are good   The drive from Rogers down I540 to the stadium is about 35-45 minutes.
Get flight following with Memphis center 120.075 depending on where in ne ark and they will take care of you. They will hand you off to Razorback just past Harrison and give you a heading to your field and hand you off to your tower when you have the field.  All of the fields are good but XNA prefers the commercial guys

bvillepig

Forgot one thing bentonville does not have a tower. It is a little hard to spot coming from the east and leaving you have to stay below the XNA veil and also turn out before you get into KASG and KROG.  It is a nice little airport and very convenient to i540

HawgPilot

Drake. Then get a free 5 minute shuttle to and from the game.

Pistol Pete

I know Siloam Springs may be a little far, but I've been there and it seems like a very nice little airport. It is in pretty flat lands, so the wind may be a little brisk at times. Getting from there to the game might be a chore. They have a couple courtesy cars, and rental cars if I remember correctly... doubt they'd want the courtesy car gone that long.

gotyacovered

Drake for me, went into Rogers, but not for a game, it was nice. Million air for me though, $10 to land, get a free pop and shuttle to and from the game, it's the most convienant and nicest and if the winds right you get to fly right over the stadium.

I like being in the system, and some dont. Guessing your not 100% comfy with it... but the way I see it, your flying into BUSY airspace regardless of which airport, might as well not be the guy Memphis/razorback app is telling everyone about with unconfirmed alt, but that's just me.

Do it a few times and you will decide you like it, IMHO.
You are what you tolerate.

El Guapo

I flew in to drake twice last year... Plenty of ramp parking, shuttle to and from the stadium... hard option to beat!
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

GusMcRae

Looks like I'm going to the Bacon and Ags game @ Kyle Field this year, 9-29!  Whoop!

Will most likely fly into Huntsville (UTS) due to proximity of my brother's house, as he will pick us up for the weekend.

If interested in going, CLL is Easterwood Airport, towered, quite busy on game day but very close to Kyle Field.  Pretty sure they have shuttle service to and from the game.
CFD is Coulter Field, non towered, probably 20-30 min drive to Kyle Field, in case someone had friends to pick them up, etc...

I have not flown into either CLL or CFD.  Have flown into UTS last year for Kansas game with bro picking me up.

And a sidenote,,, our game for tomorrow night with LA Tech got cancelled due to a little shower and some wind they're predicting....  Our opener is now against the Gators,,, so much for a warm up game.  Welcome to the SEC,,,,, 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 29, 2012, 08:04:00 am
Looks like I'm going to the Bacon and Ags game @ Kyle Field this year, 9-29!  Whoop!

Will most likely fly into Huntsville (UTS) due to proximity of my brother's house, as he will pick us up for the weekend.

If interested in going, CLL is Easterwood Airport, towered, quite busy on game day but very close to Kyle Field.  Pretty sure they have shuttle service to and from the game.
CFD is Coulter Field, non towered, probably 20-30 min drive to Kyle Field, in case someone had friends to pick them up, etc...

I have not flown into either CLL or CFD.  Have flown into UTS last year for Kansas game with bro picking me up.

And a sidenote,,, our game for tomorrow night with LA Tech got cancelled due to a little shower and some wind they're predicting....  Our opener is now against the Gators,,, so much for a warm up game.  Welcome to the SEC,,,,, 

I've flown in to CLL a few times and I enjoyed it.  They got us a courtesy car pretty easily and it's always fun having lunch around campus area.  Good approaches in  there too for IFR practice.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Dochog90

Sounds like Drake is the best option for me, thanks to everyone for the advice!
DocHog

gotyacovered

Quote from: Dochog90 on August 29, 2012, 03:55:46 pm
Sounds like Drake is the best option for me, thanks to everyone for the advice!
DocHog

It won't be your last... If you have any questions there are several very experienced guys on here (I'm not one of them ;D) that have helped me a bunch.

I'll be at least at bama, Kentucky, auburn and lsu

GusMcRae

Texas A&M University and the University of Arkansas, along with the Dallas Cowboys' organization, have agreed to a new long-term series to play the annual football game between the two schools at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington beginning in 2014 and continuing through the 2024 season.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 30, 2012, 08:30:43 am
Texas A&M University and the University of Arkansas, along with the Dallas Cowboys' organization, have agreed to a new long-term series to play the annual football game between the two schools at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington beginning in 2014 and continuing through the 2024 season.

i have been to everyone one of them, but have yet to fly. looks like i'll get my chance!

gotyacovered

Dochog90... i am going to give you a Drake/Millionair PIREP that is current.

the "no brainer" decision to use drake i detailed earlier... not as much after my first trip up there... i am not going to flame them, but i want to accurately describe my experience this weekend.

i arrive on Thursday... i tell ground i am here for the game, just a day early and they can park me in the normal game day parking area - which they do. they charge me a facility fee of $10. i tell them that i may get gas Sunday, so to just wait and i'll pay then. so sunday when i get there... my ticket is $60... $15 for Thursday, $15 for Friday and $30 for Saturday. reluctantly i hand him my debit card, and as i do i say something to the effect of... "last year they just charged me $10 on game weekends, i realize i may need to pay for Thursday and Friday... but they have never charged me on Saturday before." he agreed and said... that it must have changed b/c (and he showed me the ticket) its clearly says on here $15 for thursday, $15 for friday and $30 for Saturday... i then tell him i should have paid Thursday when i got here b/c it was a lot cheaper... half serious and half to be funny... anyways he calls someone asks them about it and i end up paying $10. which was all good... the reason for my (some what negative) PIREP is for what the linesman said next... which was something to the affect of: ya... nobody knows whats going on around here. a lot has changed since last year.

my experience other than that was exactly as i previously described (although i didnt use the (what was free last year) shuttle to the game... i will be going up there for the Kentucky (and to pick up my 182 from wings sometime this week) and will try to find out more then, but before you head up there you might want to double check the ramp fees, i know i am. it wont likely change anything, but i wanted to make sure you had current info.

the linesman also told me that traffic was half as expected at 72 airplanes. normally they have ~150, and have had as many as 170+. i am sure it was a combo of the football team and weather.

GusMcRae

September 18, 2012, 09:07:08 am #14 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:46:35 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on August 29, 2012, 08:04:00 am

Scheduling conflict was discovered yesterday..... >:(  Arkansas game is a "no go" for me.  I might be able to listen to it on the radio,,, maybe.