Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any of you guys in NWA that are certified to give lessons?

Started by Ugly Uncle, May 05, 2012, 10:43:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

I know there are a couple of flight schools up here, but they cost a whole lot more than I can afford right now.  Was wondering if there were any of you that would like to earn a little extra money by teaching me how to fly.

Don't know if any of you are certified to do this or even if it is legal, just thought I would throw that out there.
Retired Radio Host

gotyacovered

May 07, 2012, 01:25:21 pm #1 Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:27:44 pm by gotyacovered
you are looking for a CFI... and i am sure there are a few guys on here that hold that rating, but i dont think any of them actively teach.

there is a guy around here that will do it for $20 per hour, i think the avg going rate is $35-40/hour.

i know you didnt ask for advice, but i am going to give it to you anyways: it'll save you money in the long run.

step 1) get you a shoebox and save ~$5000 ($125/hour) and then start your training.

step 2) take a week off werk and spend that whole week with your CFI, you will get your ticket quicker and the CFI will like it mo betta. each lesson the CFI will spend some of the next lesson reviewing maneuvers/procedures ect from the last lesson and you can eliminate this.

i started september 6th and got my ticket on feb 2. using this plan. and that was with my plane being down for 27 days getting the prop overhauled.

my goal was to have my PPL before i turned 30, and as life is, it took me until 33. take your time and do it right. it'll be worth it. was for me.

in the mean time buy this (below) and start studying... i did my ground school during my training, that was kind of intense, fo ahead and get the written out of the way...

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/GroundSchool/private.asp
You are what you tolerate.

FaytownHog

I'm interested also. Always been a dream. Could come in handy sooner than later given some future endeavors I have coming up.

gotyacovered

faytownhog - if you can use it for business it makes a lot of difference. i use mine for work, (i own it personally - in a partnership) and it works out ok; but if i had a business that could own the airplane it would make a big diff. it can be a direct write off.

last week i was able to be in DeQueen, Crosset and Magnoila in one day... left Hope at 11:15 and got back at 3:45 (i logged 2.7 hours) so the time en route was probably about 2.5 hours. if i didnt fly i would have done that trip on 3 different days. that is where it is paying off for me.

on top of all that - its just fun. being able to load my family up and fly an hour that normally takes 3 hours to drive. makes the weekend longer.

"it aint cheap" is the only problem i have with it.

FaytownHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 07, 2012, 04:46:14 pm
faytownhog - if you can use it for business it makes a lot of difference. i use mine for work, (i own it personally - in a partnership) and it works out ok; but if i had a business that could own the airplane it would make a big diff. it can be a direct write off.

last week i was able to be in DeQueen, Crosset and Magnoila in one day... left Hope at 11:15 and got back at 3:45 (i logged 2.7 hours) so the time en route was probably about 2.5 hours. if i didnt fly i would have done that trip on 3 different days. that is where it is paying off for me.

on top of all that - its just fun. being able to load my family up and fly an hour that normally takes 3 hours to drive. makes the weekend longer.

"it aint cheap" is the only problem i have with it.
Good point right there! Only problem is, if I own the business, I'm still paying for it! LOL. But at least it's a write off at that point!

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 07, 2012, 05:06:35 pm
Good point right there! Only problem is, if I own the business, I'm still paying for it! LOL. But at least it's a write off at that point!

i can tell you from personal experience, its better to have a write off than not!!! but i get what you are saying, money is money.

FaytownHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 08, 2012, 09:44:23 am
i can tell you from personal experience, its better to have a write off than not!!! but i get what you are saying, money is money.

absolutely!

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 08, 2012, 09:46:05 am
absolutely!

out of curiosity did either of you look at that sky venture (or whatever it is) at drake? its next million air...

did they give you guys a hourly cost for a trainer and a CFI?

bvillepig

I did some of my initial private training with Sky Venture out of Jonesboro. Mark Francum and Kathy are great people and started the one at Drake.

There is also a flight school at Bentonville. I have flown in and out of there dozens of times but do not personaly know the instructors. The mechanic however is top notch and the FBO people seem first class.

I would also echo what gotya has said.   

FaytownHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 08, 2012, 09:59:30 am
out of curiosity did either of you look at that sky venture (or whatever it is) at drake? its next million air...

did they give you guys a hourly cost for a trainer and a CFI?
yes, they are nice people for sure. It's any
where from 5-7k for everything to get your license there. Haven't been to check the other place yet.

FaytownHog

Quote from: bvillepig on May 08, 2012, 06:31:18 pm
I did some of my initial private training with Sky Venture out of Jonesboro. Mark Francum and Kathy are great people and started the one at Drake.

There is also a flight school at Bentonville. I have flown in and out of there dozens of times but do not personaly know the instructors. The mechanic however is top notch and the FBO people seem first class.

I would also echo what gotcha has said.   
I really like Mark. Good guy.

The one in Bentonville also bought the one that used to be in Springdale, so they are one big one now that you can take lessons at either airport at now.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FaytownHog on May 08, 2012, 09:36:02 pm
yes, they are nice people for sure. It's any
where from 5-7k for everything to get your license there. Haven't been to check the other place yet.

i aopa's latest issue they were talking about a new flight school that opened up in Arkansas and i cannot remember for the life of me where it was... i'll look at it when i get home, that may be a good place to look at if they are just getting started up.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on May 08, 2012, 06:31:18 pm

I would also echo what gotya has said.   

bville!!! i was starting to think you went off the grid!!!!

Ugly Uncle

This is great advice Gotya.  Thanks.  I really do need to start this sooner rather than later.
Retired Radio Host

bvillepig

Nah I always check in several times a day but have not had much I could add lately.  I like to listen and learn and it sure does bring back a lot of good memories.

I am also not in the air the way I was in March so I was having withdrawal symptoms. I do have a trip to Dallas for work next week so I am looking forward to it.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 09, 2012, 05:28:23 pm
This is great advice Gotya.  Thanks.  I really do need to start this sooner rather than later.

Here is what you need to consider... You could potentially get your license for very, very cheap, if you do it quick! I didn't read all the details but wanted to point it out!

I would consider buying to get my instrument. You could turn around and sell it, take a loss if you need to and still be way ahead!

http://m.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItemDesc.aspx?emvAD=768x928&aid=280873604987&emvcc=0

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on May 09, 2012, 07:11:05 pm
Nah I always check in several times a day but have not had much I could add lately.  I like to listen and learn and it sure does bring back a lot of good memories.

I am also not in the air the way I was in March so I was having withdrawal symptoms. I do have a trip to Dallas for work next week so I am looking forward to it.

Good luck, be safe. if need a third leg or pit stop swing by m18 and I'll buy you breakfast/lunch/dinner or a pop!

What airport you flying into?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: bvillepig on May 09, 2012, 07:11:05 pm

Same thing, I haven't flown since April 16th and won't for a few months.  I'll have a ton of simulators but it's not the same.  It's the one thing that sucks about flying for a living versus flying for fun, I don't get to control when I get to fly or how much.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 09, 2012, 08:13:22 pm
Good luck, be safe. if need a third leg or pit stop swing by m18 and I'll buy you breakfast/lunch/dinner or a pop!

What airport you flying into?

KADS is only a mile from where I need to go but I hate the thought of 7.66 fuel. Still trying to decide. Maybe Mesquite or Denton and get a car.

We definatly need to get together and Thanks. 

You guys get busy and good luck.

gotyacovered

GusMcRae

Sherman Muni (KSWI) is a pretty cheap fuel stop, showing $4.78 right now, and not too far.  You could fill up there, then fly down to KADS.  They  may stick you with a ramp fee if you don't buy there high dollwr fuel though. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 10, 2012, 02:55:44 pm
Sherman Muni (KSWI) is a pretty cheap fuel stop, showing $4.78 right now, and not too far.  You could fill up there, then fly down to KADS.  They  may stick you with a ramp fee if you don't buy there high dollwr fuel though. 

i have been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a post from you...

there was a 182 that crashed yesterday trying to get into KSRR... dont you fly in there some?

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 10, 2012, 03:00:03 pm
i have been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a post from you...

there was a 182 that crashed yesterday trying to get into KSRR... dont you fly in there some?

Yikes!  I've only flown out there once so far, but plan on flying out there several times a year. 

I put my 182 in the avionics shop this AM.  Did the transponder exchange with the C-150 (had a friend fly it down there) while we waited, which didn't take hardly anytime, and we flew the 150 back home.  Having a master avionics switch installed, re-rack all avionics (they're sagging a bit) new circuit breakers for avionics, and an air gizmos panel mount for a Garmin aera 500/560.  Have a 500 that goes in the 150, but trying to pick up a 560 worth the money on e-bay.

Thanks for your concern. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 10, 2012, 04:05:44 pm
Yikes!  I've only flown out there once so far, but plan on flying out there several times a year. 

I put my 182 in the avionics shop this AM.  Did the transponder exchange with the C-150 (had a friend fly it down there) while we waited, which didn't take hardly anytime, and we flew the 150 back home.  Having a master avionics switch installed, re-rack all avionics (they're sagging a bit) new circuit breakers for avionics, and an air gizmos panel mount for a Garmin aera 500/560.  Have a 500 that goes in the 150, but trying to pick up a 560 worth the money on e-bay.

Thanks for your concern. 

where do you live? understand if you dont want to answer or PM if you dont want to post...

bad deal.... looks like a get-there-itis crash. sucks... RIP.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20111130X21518&ntsbno=CEN12FA090&akey=1

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 10, 2012, 04:37:58 pm
where do you live? understand if you dont want to answer or PM if you dont want to post...

F05, in the county.

Avionics shop is at KBKD.

GusMcRae

Having a master avionics switch installed, re-rack all avionics (they're sagging a bit) new circuit breakers for avionics, and an air gizmo panel mount for a Garmin aera 500/560.  Have a 500 that goes in the 150, but trying to pick up a 560 worth the money on e-bay.

Here's a pic of my current panel.  Shouldn't look too much different since I'm not doing the big money panel overlays, light rings, etc....  They should knock it out next week, but I probably won't get it back until 5-21 at the earliest.  I'll post an "after" pic then.

bvillepig

gotyacovered

GusMcRae

Thanks. The avionics were a major reason I jumped on it the day it showed up on Trade a Plane.

GusMcRae

Have a 500 that goes in the 150, but trying to pick up a 560 worth the money on e-bay.

Pulled the trigger on a 560, won the bid on e-bay for $999.  Received it this week and it has hardly been used, in great shape.  So,,, I'll have it to go in that air gizmo next week when I get my ship back.  After all this,,, I sure hope the annual is gentle on me.

Also,,,, I sincerely apologize for the highjacking of this thread.

gotyacovered

May 16, 2012, 11:03:42 am #30 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:56:52 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on May 16, 2012, 10:55:11 am
Pulled the trigger on a 560, won the bid on e-bay for $999.  Received it this week and it has hardly been used, in great shape.  So,,, I'll have it to go in that air gizmo next week when I get my ship back.  After all this,,, I sure hope the annual is gentle on me.

Also,,,, I sincerely apologize for the highjacking of this thread.

everytime i see the word annual right now i want to  :puke: