Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:04:08 pm by jbcarol
Noise weary SEC may implement fines

QuoteWhen Southeastern Conference coaches, athletic directors and presidents gather in Destin, Fla., this week for the league's annual meetings, the issue closest to those wearing maroon will involve their fans' beloved cowbell.

A possible strengthening of the league's 36-year-old policy against artificial noisemakers is expected to surface. The presidents, ADs and coaches in favor of new regulations will say State is thumbing its noise at the league policy and that the bells give State an unfair noise advantage.

Mississippi State, though, appears ready to present the cowbell it in softer terms: It's a tradition.

"Two of the things that make Mississippi State athletics really special are being a charter member of the Southeastern Conference, but also the symbol and the unique tradition of the cowbell," athletic director Scott Stricklin said. "We're proud of both of those. ... Ideally, there could be found a way to allow those two to coexist."

The unfortunate part is, (the cowbell is) the only one I know of that's been legislated against," Stricklin said.

Cowbell opponents say State brazenly snubs the league rule. If State can break the rule, why can't other schools have thundersticks or air horns?

State says otherwise. It has signs that says noisemakers are banned and security guards take hundreds of bells that are in plain view from fans who walk into Scott Field for football games.

State fans know the drill: Hide the cowbell in a purse. Stick it in a back pocket and pull down the back of the shirt. Even tape it to a thigh. If it's not in plain sight, it can't be taken away.

[Clay Nation in his Dixieland Delight Tour wrote that the front of the pants was the preference for males.]
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

southeasthog

The problem is that the ushers let them in within full view. Questioned they answer "I don't see anything."
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

The Hogfather

They should've been gone a long time ago.  It is complete crap.  Use them all you want outside the stadium.  Keep the "tradition" outside the stadium.

jbcarol

coaches voted 11-1 on Wednesday to not remove the ban on artificial noisemakers

Quote"How can you enforce it?" SEC commissioner Mike Slive said. "Let me say, the rule was put in place before I got here (as commissioner)."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogfan064

Who cares if they have their bells?  It's not as if they are winning games because of it

I like hearing the cowbells on TV and in person.  Great tradition and really all MSU has.

OTTER

If you are going to have a rule, enforce it!  If you are not going to enforce it and if you are going to ignore it, then repeal the damn rule. 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 03, 2010, 07:31:32 am
Who cares if they have their bells?  It's not as if they are winning games because of it

I like hearing the cowbells on TV and in person.  Great tradition and really all MSU has.

We should start bringing airhorns, whistles, and cymbals.  Just call it our new "tradition".

How exactly is it a great tradition?  And how in the hell do you like the sound of those obnoxious things?

As OTTER said, if you are going to have a rule, enforce it.  Otherwise, let us bring in our whistles and cymbals.

LAHOGG

If they start calling atleast one 15 yard penalty a game on the home team that would stop it real quick.

jbcarol

The cowbell compromise idea

QuoteHere's a compromise idea straight from conversations in the hallways of the Sandestin Hilton: Classify cowbells as noise similar to what comes out of the stadium speakers. (That's institutionally controlled noise, in SEC jargon.) Such noise is allowed at certain times in the game — pregame, halftime, between quarters, timeouts, etc. It's not allowed during game play or between plays.

State fans could bring 'em and ring 'em all they want during the specified times. Outside of those times, cowbell noise would be frowned upon. (No, I don't know the finer details of how that would be policed, enforced or penalized, etc. One step at a time here.)

jbcarol

cosmodrum

Why don't they just hang them back on their wives necks and when they feel the need to make noise just shake the bejeezus out of the wimmens.

At least that would be good comedy for the rest of us, although it could probably cause a stampede.
Go away, batin'

IronHog

I'm carrying a duck call to the next game I attend.

You want noise?  Get 20-30K Arkansans blowing a call!
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 04, 2010, 01:39:02 pm
Cowbell Compromise Passes First Hurdle

Quotehe compromise will last for a year. Slive said that if State appears to be abiding by the rule, it'll remain in place. If not, it'll be revisited. Will it work?

"I don't know," Mississippi State president Mark Keenum said. "We're going to do our part to educate and make sure our fans know about this."

Slive said the league's athletic directors will work on determining a penalty structure for violations of the new rule when they meet in August. As for how violations will be determined, "we'll attempt to police it appropriately," Slive said, "just like we try to police our not-rushing-the-field legislation."

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: IronHog on June 04, 2010, 02:23:38 pm

They do this at Stuttgart football games. 

People who bring cowbells to any game at any level should be dragged outside and beaten senseless.  The things are uber annoying.

IronHog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 04, 2010, 05:58:06 pm
They do this at Stuttgart football games. 

Yea, but can they play the fight song?

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

56Hog

Don't be too rough on poor MisStake.  Finding uses for a surplus of cowbells was the inevitable spin-off result of the ultimate triumph of Mississippi State's 21st Century Bovine research program...

The Stealth Cow!
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

jbcarol

http://twitter.com/ringresponsibly

Twitter account established to help MSU ring cowbells at the correct time and avoid SEC fines.

grayhawg

jbcarol

The SEC By-Law Revision related to the cowbell

They are supposed to ring them only during breaks in action where other schools might play music over the sound system.

If they abuse it, they are supposed to be fined.

jbcarol

State's SEC opponents have agreed to play vuvuzelas but only, repeat only, during dead times in action to honor SEC by-laws.

They will come in distinctive SEC colors.

grayhawg

Quote from: jbcarol on June 19, 2010, 08:23:44 am
State's SEC opponents have agreed to play vuvuzelas but only, repeat only, during dead times in action to honor SEC by-laws.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

RazrRila99

Personally -- the fine (unless its VERY steep) will do nothing.  Put it like this -- the first possession of each quarter (first infraction) will incur a 15 yard penalty for that game.  Then each time bell is heard during "non dead play" time its another 15 yard penalty.  I know harsh, but its the only way to make it even. 

Besides that is THE MOST annoying soundmaker available.

jbcarol

Quote from: Cole1976 on June 19, 2010, 10:33:26 am

How does the cow bell rank in comparison?

porkurina

If they are allowed cowbells then their opponents should have them also.  Then everyone can ring the bells.  And this means at away games also.  Wonder how much they would like it when their offense is calling plays and 60,000+ fans ring their bells?

SteveInArk

The SEC should have told State that they had to start using "audio-taped" cowbells only -- over their official loudspeaker system.  Then install metal detectors and "get those bells out of the stadium".  They could re-cycle the metal from confiscated bells to pay for passing out free, multi-colored paper cowbells to wave during the loudspeaker playing of bells.  Kind of like the 1st grade....

No, this will work! Really!  Oh, nevermind.  :)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

ALLVOL

This is such a big NO DEAL. Holy darn can the leadership of the SEC waste time or what. Hell MSU has very little if ANY traditions. Let them ring their darned bell. I swear there are so many people who want to take the character out of sports and the fun.

jbcarol

http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/2010/06/coming-soon-vuvuzelas-in-the-sec/

StoernerJonesFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 21, 2010, 07:48:09 pm
This is such a big NO DEAL. Holy darn can the leadership of the SEC waste time or what. Hell MSU has very little if ANY traditions. Let them ring their darned bell. I swear there are so many people who want to take the character out of sports and the fun.
What else are they going to discuss?  Having more competent SEC officiating?  Ha, Yeah right! 

jbcarol

Quote@SEC_Chuck Wait, what? Did the rule change? Doesn't it specify "traditional" artificial noisemakers only?

http://twitter.com/kyleveazey

pigture perfect

I would rather listen to the cowbells that try to  listen to one of them speak.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbcarol

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on June 23, 2010, 11:27:19 am
What else are they going to discuss?  Having more competent SEC officiating?  Ha, Yeah right! 

I think there was something to that.  In the midst of the conference expansion turmoil, Slive is indicating that cowbells and Bama's bye situation are the biggest issues the SEC face.  That large and in charge public face.

PeabodyHawg

Compromise should have been that Misstake fans can only ring their bells when the Bulldogs do something good.  That would limit the ringing to 2-3 times a year, or during the entire Ole Missy game.

jbcarol

woopigsooie1222

Quote from: Cole1976 on June 19, 2010, 10:33:26 am
Personally -- the fine (unless its VERY steep) will do nothing.  Put it like this -- the first possession of each quarter (first infraction) will incur a 15 yard penalty for that game.  Then each time bell is heard during "non dead play" time its another 15 yard penalty.  I know harsh, but its the only way to make it even. 

well in that case when we play them this year I'm bringing a cowbell down to Starksville and I'm gonna ring it so much MSU will get safety's every time they get the ball
The South Will Rise Again!

BallHog1

Not to derail, but has anyone else noticed that flashing strobe lights on the scorer's tables at some SEC basketball home courts. I'm thinking it was Florida or Kentucky a year or two ago that had these lights flashing like cameras everytime the visiting team was on offense. That needs to go too.

jbcarol

SEC establishes fine structure for cowbells

Quote$5,000 for the first offense, $25,000 for the second and $50,000 for the third.

Porkerpower

Remember back in the 70's/80's when the refs could flag the home team for "EXCESIVE NOISE" if the visiting team could not hear well enough to get their signals called?

Yea, the visiting QB would make an attempt to call out signals, then would back away and turn around to give the referee "that look" like his signals just can't be heard.  The defense would plead for the crowd to quiet down.

That was a hoot.

jbcarol

Hogman2

If cow bells are legal, Hog fans need to bring in those Vuvezelas used in the World Cup everytime their opponents are on offense!  Can you imagine the sound of 50 plus thousands of those NON-NOISEMAKERS trying to call plays?  Here cow bell ringers!  Listen to THIS! LOL 

LeArrEssSea

Quote from: IronHog on June 04, 2010, 02:23:38 pm

You want noise?  Get 20-30K Arkansans blowing a call!

They do that at Oregon games. I watched Oregon play Mississippi State in 2003 in Starkville. The cowbells mixed with the duck calls was so unbelievably obnoxious.

CaseyHawgDog

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."<br />- John Wayne

hawgbur

Quote from: LeArrEssSea on August 19, 2010, 09:38:13 am
They do that at Oregon games. I watched Oregon play Mississippi State in 2003 in Starkville. The cowbells mixed with the duck calls was so unbelievably obnoxious.
Don't know about the duck calls, ..... but a Deer Grunt call can be blown to sound exactly like a hog grunt. About 50,000 Hawg Grunts going at the same time would certainly garner some attention.
I'd REALLY like to hear that,LMAO! ;)

jbcarol

DukeOfPork

How they have been allowed to so blatantly violate the noisemaker policy for so many years is beyond me. 

This is long overdue...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5727697

hogfan064

1873Hawg

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

Albert Einswine

The cowbells are a weak alternative to legit fan noise.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

I hope they keep them too!  The NCAA and SEC got too many fan rules for me.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bpig

Lord, it is not like the cowbells give them a big advantage. Look at their record over the years. I sure agree with Delta Boy. Too many rules.