Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Read but don't jump off the ledge

Started by Porked Tongue, April 10, 2017, 09:28:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 11, 2017, 03:54:06 pm
My stepson is tremendous on the violin. Gets paid to go school AND gets work in professionally in his field as well.

When I say paid, I mean he gets money beyond tuition, books, and room and board.

It's like people don't recognize that athletes have a skill that earns them a scholarship in their field also but aren't allowed to make money with it. It's the ONLY skill set on a campus that is treated this way.

I hear what you are saying, but think of it this way.  Is anyone offering you $250,000. A new car, a home, etc to play at say bama over auburn? 

HF#1

If they go, we aren't making the tournament. If they stay, we could make a run in the tournament. It could be that much of a swing in the program. Portis and Qualls all over again.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Letsroll1200

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 13, 2017, 01:58:57 pm
I hear what you are saying, but think of it this way.  Is anyone offering you $250,000. A new car, a home, etc to play at say bama over auburn?

You are clueless if you think they're getting 250 to play overseas

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2017, 09:19:28 pm
You are clueless if you think they're getting 250 to play overseas

You drunk??? 

sowmonella

Average Pro ball salary in Europe is about $110,000 per year tax free.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

onebadrubi

Quote from: sowmonella on April 13, 2017, 09:39:04 pm

I never brought up over seas salary or pay.  I'm talking about what some dig 1 athletes are being given.

Hawg Red

Quote from: sowmonella on April 13, 2017, 09:39:04 pm

Wouldn't they still have to pay taxes on that in the US?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 13, 2017, 09:34:40 pm
You drunk???

Clueless! I know some guys from Little Rock that started playing overseas. They are not making 100,000 dollars. Overseas basketball is very competitive and is made up of different leagues. They can work there way to making a great career overseas but initially the big money is for guys that's already established in the European leagues.

reddawg213

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2017, 07:33:54 am
Wouldn't they still have to pay taxes on that in the US?

The first $100,800 is excluded under the Foreign earned Income exclusion. They will have to pay the local taxes of that country though

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 14, 2017, 09:10:04 am
Clueless! I know some guys from Little Rock that started playing overseas. They are not making 100,000 dollars. Overseas basketball is very competitive and is made up of different leagues. They can work there way to making a great career overseas but initially the big money is for guys that's already established in the European leagues.

You read my quote and thought I was talking about overseas?  I quoted a man trying to make an argument why a college athlete (basketball and football mainly) for why they should be able to profit off their likeliness, comparing to his daughter making money playing a band instrument or whatever.  My quote was then saying, can she get $250,000 for chosing say auburn over bama or whatever, getting cars, houses etc.  HOW IN THE HECK did you take that and think I was talking about playing overseas?  Man, you failed miserably in comprehending what I was saying. 

The_Iceman

No reason not to. Go hear what the draft scouts have to say about your game. They will hear what they need to improve on to be able to improve their status.

Both should be back unless they just want to go overseas and make money.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

ricepig

Hawg Red

Danny West reported neither are interested at this time in playing overseas. They are looking for feedback from the NBA. They'll be back.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2017, 02:22:48 pm
Both should be back unless they just want to go overseas and make money.

I guess I just don't get this part.  We see guys like Miles Bridges already saying he's coming back and anytime Arkansas has a guy that could possibly play overseas, we have the basically beg and plead with them to come back to finish up and possibly put them in a position to be drafted in the NBA.  Many times it doesn't work and they end up bolting (Qualls, BJ Young, even Thurman, and on-and-on).

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2017, 02:32:52 pm
Danny West reported neither are interested at this time in playing overseas. They are looking for feedback from the NBA. They'll be back.

Well, that's good to hear.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2017, 02:32:52 pm

Hope West is right. Thanks for the info, Hawg Red.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

The Hogfather

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 14, 2017, 02:46:54 pm
Man it would have made such a difference in recent years if BJ and Qualls would have just come back... And they might be playing in a better league right now as a result

Exactly!

GoHogzzGo

No surprises here, to me at least. Hope they get good feedback but realize they won't go top 50 and return for next year.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

TNhawgfan

I would do the same thing in their position. It's the smart move.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The_Iceman

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2017, 03:06:05 pm
https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/852975124747890688

Good point.

It's a fair point BUT that money will be there next year regardless. Let's just hope neither are in such dire financial straights that they can't wait and try to improve their stock here.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 14, 2017, 03:16:55 pm
It's a fair point BUT that money will be there next year regardless. Let's just hope neither are in such dire financial straights that they can't wait and try to improve their stock here.

Exactly. Why resign yourself to that when you could come back, have a great year, probably make all-conference, and improve your chances of making the NBA (which is likely what they're goal is)/ Hopefully there is no overriding financial hardship, though I'd imagine if that were the case, someone would have signed with an agent. Usually see that when the mind is made up to just play professional basketball regardless of draft stock.

ricepig

southarkhog06

I assume this is the same thing Kingsley did last summer?

Hawg Red

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 14, 2017, 03:32:52 pm
I assume this is the same thing Kingsley did last summer?

By all appearances at this point. May 24 is the withdrawal date to still be able to return to college, but we should really know their intentions around the first two weeks of May when NBA Draft combine invites go out.

RME

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2017, 03:31:59 pm
And of course, Ebola says "Macon and Barford leaving Arkansas" in his SEC Country story, such a tool.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/jaylen-barford-daryl-macon-go-nba-draft?utm_campaign=SF_SECCountryHogs&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

He's catching some hell on Twitter for saying "they're going pro," haha.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on April 14, 2017, 03:42:17 pm
He's catching some hell on Twitter for saying "they're going pro," haha.

And it appears he either does not understand what "going pro" means or he's just trying to be an ass.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2017, 03:48:35 pm
And it appears he either does not understand what "going pro" means or he's just trying to be an ass.

I'll take the later for $400, Alex.

PorkSoda

would suck to lose those two, but I like the new rule that allows them to try out at the combine before making a final decision.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

azhog10

April 14, 2017, 04:15:07 pm #131 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:28:26 pm by azhog10
Is Bolin really this stupid?

Also this isn't anything new. We've been hearing for a while they would test the waters to get the feedback they desire. Bolin is insinuating heavily one or both will go overseas. He also implies that one can turn "pro" and then back to an amateur. It doesn't work like that. They aren't a "pro" until they've hired an agent or are actually making money playing basketball therefore ending their time as "amateurs". Ten days till after the combine is when they have to let us know. I hope they let us know a little sooner. We could get a kid like Crawford, Hardy, and one more big if they leave. But the longer they wait the less options we will have.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on April 14, 2017, 04:15:07 pm
Is Bolin really this stupid?

I follow him on Twitter. Yes....yes he is.

SONofHAM

April 14, 2017, 05:08:43 pm #133 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:02:18 pm by SONofHAM
Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2017, 04:49:14 pm
I follow him on Twitter. Yes....yes he is.
He is a media troll.  Obvious attempt for clicks.

Can anyone find any quotes from Macon or Barford where they say they are going pro?  Or that they are leaving Arkansas?

All I can find is:

"My ultimate goal is to play at the next level and this is an opportunity to see where I stand and get feedback from NBA teams," Macon said in a release from the school

"My dream has always been to play in the NBA and this gives me the chance to go through the process and be evaluated by teams," said Barford.

Also, his article about Moses last year said "testing the waters." 

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.