Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Firing Jeff Long: Be careful what you wish for ...

Started by Salted Pork, November 11, 2017, 08:35:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidr295

Quote from: Salted Pork on November 11, 2017, 10:22:53 pm
Ding ding ding! There's the weaksauce Neo-Confederate carpetbagger argument festering in HV, ladies and gents.

Cause everyone that wants them both gone are confederates... What an idiot. It's obvious he was joking.

Davidr295

How dare we want Arkansas people to run things at the university of Arkansas.. The nerve of us.

Hogwild

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 11, 2017, 08:42:38 pm
You either Jeff Long or a staff member of his office,
Tickets are over priced for the product on the field!
Concessions are a joke!
Money 💰 is not everything!

rljjr

Quote from: Salted Pork on November 11, 2017, 08:35:17 pm
In everyone's rush to ship CBB out of Fayetteville, a lot of posters here seem to want Jeff to go with Bret. Why?

Pros:
- The athletic department is financially sound with world class facilities
- All programs, except for football, are headed in the right direction and are winning
- His recent new hires in volleyball and softball have been slam dunks, and Coach Neighbors for women's hoops will probably be successful as well
- Scandal free athletic department

Cons:
- He made a mistake hiring Jimmy Dykes
- He shouldn't have extended Bielema after the 2014 season with that raise and buyout

Anything else? Am I missing anything here? Jeff Long is an ATHLETIC director, not a FOOTBALL director. Bret will be let go as soon as after Thanksgiving and probably as late as 2018 and his replacement will (hopefully) right the football ship.

Waiting for the "carpetbagger" argument which is about the stupidest, most xenophobic defense ever. And oh, the university, NOT ATHLETICS, signed the Pepsi contract.

I don't think anyone here knows what a BAD AD is truly like and once we get "one of those," we'll be wishing we never threw the baby out with the bathwater.

His "business decisions" killed tradition and excitement. The U of A feels so corporate now. I understand money is up, but that would change anyway since the alums and major power brokers are voting with their phone calls, texts, emails and check books.

HardCore

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 11, 2017, 09:54:49 pm
+1000.he is not a good A.D. a good A.D. is a guy like Barry Alvarez. he has built great football and basketball programs.he has never made a mess like Long has of their football program.Jeff Long is not a good A.D.

Dead on!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Davidr295 on November 11, 2017, 10:57:32 pm
Cause everyone that wants them both gone are confederates... What an idiot. It's obvious he was joking.

Apparently, it wasn't obvious to him.  I thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick...
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Salted Pork on November 11, 2017, 10:22:53 pm
Ding ding ding! There's the weaksauce Neo-Confederate carpetbagger argument festering in HV, ladies and gents.

It was a joke, not a phallus.  Don't take it so hard, Nancy.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 11, 2017, 08:51:45 pm
Good post. I don't get the scorched earth mentality.

Scorched Earth?  He'll lose his job, get a big buyout, and be free to seek employment elsewhere...not be lynched or have his house burned down.

island hog

Baby out with the bath water, bull in s china shop... the football team is underperforming and the HC must go... and while you're at it, burn down the forest too.  Agreed CBB must go but tearing the program out by its roots is not what's needed.  That's what he's saying.

Grunt

In everyone's rush to ship CBB out of Fayetteville, a lot of posters here seem to want Jeff to go with Bret. Why?

Pros:
- All programs, except for football, are headed in the right direction and are winning
- His recent new hires in volleyball and softball have been slam dunks, and Coach Neighbors for women's hoops will probably be successful as well

Cons:
- He shouldn't have extended Bielema after the 2014 season with that raise and buyout

Anything else? Am I missing anything here? Jeff Long is an ATHLETIC director, not a FOOTBALL director. Bret will be let go as soon as after Thanksgiving and probably as late as 2018 and his replacement will (hopefully) right the football ship.

Waiting for the "carpetbagger" argument which is about the stupidest, most xenophobic defense ever. And oh, the university, NOT ATHLETICS, signed the Pepsi contract.

I don't think anyone here knows what a BAD AD is truly like and once we get "one of those," we'll be wishing we never threw the baby out with the bathwater.
Cons: He fired B.P.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Grunt

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on November 11, 2017, 09:26:38 pm
EXACTLY. Long tossed BP way under the bus to protect himself and then acted like he was so hurt by the situation. Everybody in the athletic dept knew what was going on, and JL STILL ok'd the hiring of Dorrel.  The buck starts and stops with the guy in charge. You can't be "Mr All-Powerful AD" when you want to and then play "Mr Clueless" and act like you had no idea she was even on staff. GTFOH with that shiz. Long is an opportunist and saw an opportunity to make sure HE didn't get sued and also to make himself look like a saint. F that dude. 

Also, miserable hires in Softball and Volleyball that have both had to be replaced in addition to the clusterfugs that are Johnelle and Bert and the almost hiring of Tommy Bowden and Jim Grobe.
+ 10

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

EastexHawg

Quote from: island hog on November 12, 2017, 12:12:42 am
Baby out with the bath water, bull in s china shop... the football team is underperforming and the HC must go... and while you're at it, burn down the forest too.  Agreed CBB must go but tearing the program out by its roots is not what's needed.  That's what he's saying.

Jeff Long represents the "roots" of the program?  Who thinks that?

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 11, 2017, 11:49:41 pm
Scorched Earth?  He'll lose his job, get a big buyout, and be free to seek employment elsewhere...not be lynched or have his house burned down.

look man. you and I one of the few from the start. soooooooo much stupid to go arou d on the hill
Let's make some waves.

Ragnar Hogbrok

LZH

Quote from: Grunt on November 12, 2017, 12:15:28 am
Cons: He fired B.P.

BP fired himself, he had an opportunity to stay but thought Jeff was bluffing.

BB is on his way out, and I firmly believe we already have our next coach in waiting. Jeff does a fine job except for hiring coaches. He isn't going anywhere in the near future.

razorcash2

I didn't like the way he just sat back when they took a knee. I believe he made one weak statement in regards to it,  and that was it.

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 11, 2017, 10:26:17 pm
There is so much wrong with this post. You really don't have a clue what went or goes on up there...

And to answer your question up there. I will take the money running things over Long any day of the week and twice on days that end in Y.

PRJ

lmao. sorry PRJ many of us called it from the start, but they loved fat boy.. swear to everythingholy you and I could have lost less games.  lmao. pos Bert and these d bags that banged on us for hiring a fat infant
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: LZH on November 12, 2017, 12:26:36 am

BB is on his way out, and I firmly believe we already have our next coach in waiting. Jeff does a fine job except for hiring coaches. He isn't going anywhere in the near future.

love ya buddy, but no.
Let's make some waves.

jvanhorn

Quote from: The Chief on November 11, 2017, 10:14:18 pm
Yep.  You can tell from his northern vernacular that he's a no good Yankee carpetbagger sympathizer.

Well it for sure tells me all I need to know about you as a human being.

Let's make some waves.

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 12, 2017, 12:33:00 am
Yep.  You can tell from his northern vernacular that he's a no good Yankee carpetbagger sympathizer.

do those  northern people know how to do a quote thing.  lmao
Let's make some waves.

might we accidentally hire a good football coach. shut your hole
Let's make some waves.

snoblind

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 12, 2017, 12:25:21 am
look man. you and I one of the few from the start. soooooooo much stupid to go arou d on the hill

I give the two of you props on the coach, I was willing to give him a chance and gave both of you grief for slamming him at the start.  In hindsight it is obvious, I should have known better.

Long - I've never like that hire.

snoblind

Quote from: LZH on November 12, 2017, 12:26:36 am

Long is gone within the year.

rude1

Ole JL has obviously gotten the wool pulled over some people's eyes still. Has convinced them that he is something special in the athletic department, despite 6 years running of mediocre to bad football and generally a lack of national accomplishments from either of the big 2 sports under his watch. His ability to market cliches and give eloquent speeches has them fooled into thinking he is doing something really special around here that is irreplaceable.

bondhue

Keep Long.  UofA is not a win at any cost program.

There would be a cost to firing CBB and getting another coach.  UA can't win at any cost.  Getting a new AD would entail a cost.  No costs.

By the way, all the UofA grads I was with today thought the game was glorious.  They don't believe in winning at any cost.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Quote from: snoblind on November 12, 2017, 12:40:53 am
I give the two of you props on the coach, I was willing to give him a chance and gave both of you grief for slamming him at the start.  In hindsight it is obvious, I should have known better.

Long - I've never like that hire.

eh.  would rather have been wrong buddy.    F
Let's make some waves.

snoblind

Quote from: bondhue on November 12, 2017, 12:47:45 am

There would be a cost to firing CBB and getting another coach.  UA can't win at any cost.  Getting a new AD would entail a cost.  No costs.

By the way, all the UofA grads I was with today thought the game was glorious.  They don't believe in winning at any cost.

You and your buds think losing 33-10 was glorious? 

No wonder you aren't capable of understanding that getting of an incompetent AD has nothing anything to do winning at all costs.  Not to mention the AD you are defending has his own issues with ethics, but that is another story,
-

Glorious?  man you guys share tap shoes or have your own?
Let's make some waves.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Davidr295 on November 11, 2017, 10:59:57 pm
How dare we want Arkansas people to run things at the university of Arkansas.. The nerve of us.
Hogville has to have heroes and boogy men. Besides,  the GOBN sounds way more sinister than Mr. Integrity.  God forbid we have major donors who care enough to ask questions.

The_Bionic_Pig

November 12, 2017, 03:08:07 am #81 Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:30:57 am by The_Bionic_Pig
So JL is a Yankee now?  Their are some good ole boys on here relitigating the civil war on here...

Robert Patrick Petrino was born 1,373 miles NORTH of Fayetteville (Lewistown, MT)

We hate the "Hillbilly" label's but reinforce them with that very word.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Torqued pork

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 12, 2017, 03:08:07 am
So JL is a Yankee now?  Their are some good ole boys on here relitigating the civil war on here...

Robert Patrick Petrino was born 1,373 miles NORTH of Fayetteville (Lewistown, MT)

We hate the "Hillbilly" label's but reinforce them with that very word.

It's not exactly unheard of for a school to hire a coach or an AD with some ties to that school especially when things hit rock bottom, so you can spare us the hillbilly crap.

The Kig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 11, 2017, 08:42:38 pm
Money 💰 is not everything!

Ummmm.....sorry to break it to you, but that is the ONLY important factor here.  Long may lose his job, but it won't be due to CBB not wining ballgames, it will be declining revenue.  Now don't get me wrong, losing games may equate to decrease in revenue,  but it is ALWAYS about the money. 
Poker Porker

The_Bionic_Pig

November 12, 2017, 06:18:38 am #84 Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:31:14 am by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: Torqued pork on November 12, 2017, 03:40:59 am
It's not exactly unheard of for a school to hire a coach or an AD with some ties to that school especially when things hit rock bottom, so you can spare us the hillbilly crap.

At what point did I mention hiring & ties to a school.... it's like having a disagreement with my wife....stick to the subject please.

I could care less who the AD is or where he was born. You have no problem signing recruit's from another region of the country.

I'm focused on all the "good ole boys" who fondly reference cival war terms... THEIR WAS NOTHING COOL ABOUT A WAR FOCUSED ON KEEPING SLAVERY LEGAL.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 12, 2017, 12:33:00 am

Go back up and read.

I swear, I thought the sarcasm and humor was oozing from my post. I guess I'm just on a different level in that regard.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 12, 2017, 06:18:38 am
At what point did I mention hiring & ties to a school.... it's like having a disagreement with my wife....stick to the subject please.

I could care less who the AD is or where he was born. You have no problem signing recruit's from another region of the country.

I'm focused on all the "good ole boys" who fondly reference cival war terms... THEIR WAS NOTHING COOL ABOUT A WAR FOCUSED ON KEEPING SLAVERY LEGAL.

To be fair, carpet bagger was a Reconstruction term and Yankee was a Revolutionary War term.

farmhawg

Pros:

Cons:

Maybe you leave with him.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 10:14:29 pm
Winning in track is worth zero in about every way possible. When people talk about college dynasties they rarely even mention McDonnell and I would venture to guess he has the most national titles of any coach regardless of sport. Couldn't care less.

Did you see the circus that was the Broyles complex at the end of Broyles' time as AD? That was what the athletic dept run by folks with U of A ties. You miss that? Because that is who will be running things again. Those folks fired themselves by hiring Nutt, Heath, Altman, and Pel and then enabled Nutt's behavior to the point of a fan revolt.

Leave me out of that mess.

It's not worth zero to me.
There's a right way to treat a Coach of McDonnell's accomplishments and there's a wrong way.
Long chose the wrong way.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

EastexHawg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 12, 2017, 06:18:38 am

I agree.  I don't care where he came from as long as the desire to win and a refusal to accept losing burn within him.  Broyles was from Georgia but he lived and breathed Arkansas excellence on the field/court.  Maybe that was simply because he coached here for so many years.  He built Arkansas athletics with his own hard work and couldn't stand to see it torn down.

And yes, I somewhat give him a pass for getting "soft" as an octogenarian. 

jbigs77

Pros:

Cons:

Well thought out post. And I totally agree with it. Then I look at how many post this guy has and it says 32. How come so many of you with thousands of post cant write something even near intelligent?

Oliver

When we first hired Jeff Long as AD, I was very optimistic.  He studied under the best AD in the NCAA, Joe Castiglione.  Years later, I'm guessing Long must have ripped his eyes out and used them to plug his ears during the time he was studying under Castiglione. 

sigpooie

You nitwits are going to really be set back by how well someone who 1. gives a damn about our State flagship 2. does not have a glorious anything when we have a losing record in anything 3. Does not think of Arkansas as his personal check book.  4. Meddles in his employees just enough to know they are cheating on their spouse, they are losing because they don't have a clue of how to do what someone else has been doing for them before. Bye Jeffy, Bye Brett and Bye people who work for them having a glorious time at our expense.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Hawg2afault

#1 on your cons list should be that he refused to meet with the winningest coach in the history of college athletics, Coach John McDonnell!  42 National championships and this joker says, You can't just walk into my office, you need to schedule an appointment with my secretary. 

Pros:

Cons:

the 1 and only

Pros:

Cons:

agree
sad but has you can see
there are many here who need to put the bottle down before they think
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Seebs

I don't wish Jeff Long ill-will. I just wish him happiness elsewhere.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawg2afault

Thanks!  Now there's coffee all over my lap top! 

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on November 12, 2017, 01:47:18 am
Glorious?  man you guys share tap shoes or have your own?

TebowHater

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 09:49:00 pm

That Long disregarded the wishes of Coach John McDonnell regarding the track program shouldn't be forgotten. McDonnell built the best program in the nation, success we've never seen in any sport, 40+ national championships but Long knew better than McDonnell, the man that built it. Not a chance.
McDonnell earned the right to name his successor.

McDonnell did name his successor, any post to the contrary is complete ludicrous.

10thPlanet

Quote from: The Chief on November 12, 2017, 12:26:06 am
You’ll have to be more specific.
No kidding Chief, I haven't even posted and I know he was talking about me.

Grunt

I don't think you get it.