Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Criticism of Jeff Long aside...

Started by WalHog2018, November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 06:50:12 pm
why hasn't it been made? What is stopping him?

Better for recruiting to be able fire a coach and then announce the next coach vs fire a coach and give other teams a month to poach recruits.  Firing mid-season doesn't accomplish anything.

LawrenceofBabylon

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 07:15:09 pm
so i should ask the Lord tomorrow at church whether CBB will be back?

Why must you mock god?

WalHog2018

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 11, 2017, 09:19:13 pm
I think fans are more concerned with that than coaches.  There is zero advantage to firing him now.  There's not one active coach in America that's changing jobs before the end of the season.
are you kidding? That happens all the time and it affects recruiting. Look at Kirby Smart at UGA. Left and recruited for UGA while still coaching for Alabama.

WalHog2018

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 11, 2017, 09:20:52 pm
Better for recruiting to be able fire a coach and then announce the next coach vs fire a coach and give other teams a month to poach recruits.  Firing mid-season doesn't accomplish anything.
poaching recruits is happening now. Other recruiting departments are already telling people B.B. is gone. That's a moot point.

Martygit

RIP OTR, REV

hog.goblin

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 09:52:16 pm
are you kidding? That happens all the time and it affects recruiting. Look at Kirby Smart at UGA. Left and recruited for UGA while still coaching for Alabama.

So we are going to hire a coordinator?  Kirby still didn't get hired until after the regular season.

hog.goblin

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 09:53:29 pm
poaching recruits is happening now. Other recruiting departments are already telling people B.B. is gone. That's a moot point.

At least CBB and the staff have a fighting chance in talking to recruits.  There is no benefit to fire a head coach during the season.  It gains the program nothing.

LawrenceofBabylon

East Clintwood

Quote from: tusked on November 11, 2017, 09:16:05 pm
You might make that back with fans going to the last two games that aren't going to go.

The tickets have already been sold.  It doesn't matter if they're used or not.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

bennyl08

Quote from: MartinGit on November 11, 2017, 09:57:47 pm
Please capitalize God when you're referring to Him

Hog in Memphis is god?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

WalHog2018

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 09:52:16 pm
false. Kirby was hired before the SEC championship game. No, i am not asking for a Coordinator, but it is possible to snag someone like Norvell right after his conference championship game.

Athog

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm
Why hasn't B.B. been fired? Is the buyout the issue? I just don't understand.  Something else? Seems like a lot of schools will need a new HBC and we could get a head start?

Just because he has not told you does not mean nothing is going on.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: Wooderson on November 11, 2017, 06:50:52 pm
There is no benefit to firing him before seasons end. Just because Bret is the coach doesn't mean things can't happen behind the scenes. No coach will officially be interviewed until the end of the regular season even if Bret is fired this week.

For real. It didn't help Florida.

hog.goblin

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 12, 2017, 06:00:30 am
false. Kirby was hired before the SEC championship game. No, i am not asking for a Coordinator, but it is possible to snag someone like Norvell right after his conference championship game.

And they fired Richt the day after the GA Tech game...not during the season.  Kirby was already contacted and ready to go behind the scenes.  We can do the same thing with Norvell or anyone else we want. 

Firing a coach midseason does nothing positive for the program and potentially harms recruiting for those who might be waffling.

It does, however, feed the irrational fans who can't wait a few games.  I'm not sure how that's a benefit.

WalHog2018

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 12, 2017, 08:06:57 am
And they fired Richt the day after the GA Tech game...not during the season.  Kirby was already contacted and ready to go behind the scenes.  We can do the same thing with Norvell or anyone else we want. 

Firing a coach midseason does nothing positive for the program and potentially harms recruiting for those who might be waffling.

It does, however, feed the irrational fans who can't wait a few games.  I'm not sure how that's a benefit.
Guess Tennessee is wrong for doing what they did today with a Burch Jones. You should be AD at Tennessee and Florida.

hog.goblin

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 12, 2017, 11:06:50 am
Guess Tennessee is wrong for doing what they did today with a Burch Jones. You should be AD at Tennessee and Florida.

Yep, they are wrong.  They accomplished nothing today.

jjdlc

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 08:40:03 pm
that's why you fire him now, announce a new coach the day after the Season ends  and have all about 2-3 weeks to talk to recruits before the dead period. Wait till after the dead period, youve already lost prime recruiting time. If you don't understand that, you don't understand Football. Recruiting is cutthroat. Every day matters.

So, completely sacrificing the next 4+ weeks of recruiting, while massively increasing the chances of losing commits we have now is supposed to help recruiting?  You even say in your last sentence, "Every day matters."  Your logic is truly astonishing.

WalHog2018

Quote from: jjdlc on November 12, 2017, 11:54:29 am
So, completely sacrificing the next 4+ weeks of recruiting, while massively increasing the chances of losing commits we have now is supposed to help recruiting?  You even say in your last sentence, "Every day matters."  Your logic is truly astonishing.
i dont think you understand that having Bret here is essentially not having a coach already in the recruiting world. Dirty recruiting is happening right now. Your understanding of recruiting is truly astonishing.

jjdlc

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 12, 2017, 12:09:17 pm
i dont think you understand that having Bret here is essentially not having a coach already in the recruiting world. Dirty recruiting is happening right now. Your understanding of recruiting is truly astonishing.

Dirty recruiting happens all the time, with or without coaching turmoil.  I follow recruiting very closely, quality recruits just do not commit to schools with interim coaches.  They do however still commit even when a coaches future is in doubt.  Its also much easier for an incoming coach to retain an existing commitment, than to get new commitments, however, the longer you go with no head coach, the chances of those existing commits bailing before the new coach ever has a chance to keep them increases exponentially. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 12, 2017, 12:09:17 pm

CBB and the staff at worst are telling recruits to stay true to the program.  At best to wait and see or that they feel they'll be back.

If they are fired recruits are completely in the dark except for contact from other schools.

It's astonishing you can't understand that.  Nothing positive gained firing him 2 weeks early.  Only potential harm.

bob slydell

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm
Why hasn't B.B. been fired? Is the buyout the issue? I just don't understand.  Something else? Seems like a lot of schools will need a new HBC and we could get a head start?

How exactly do you get a "head start" firing a coach during the season?  We aren't hiring a replacement until sometime in December regardless of when CBB is let go.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

In many situations firing before the end of the season is not a good idea.  This is a different situation.  Prospective coaches are not sure we will have an opening based on the relationship of Bret and Jeff.  Norvell might actually prefer Arkansas over the better jobs he may be offered but if there isn't an offer from us and there is from another organization, he would be a fool not to take the other offer.  Also, this early signing period might affect the recruits available to us.  A recruit knowing who we will have as coach should be beneficial to our actual recruiting.  If Bret is fired, some of his recruits may choose to leave.  Not so sure thats a bad thing but don't know.  In the instant situation, I think it would be good for us to either fire Bret or come out and explain we are keeping him.  Either way, that should help in recruiting.  Worst of all is that a recruit doesn't know who the coach will be and just leaves us for another team.

MushroomCloudHog

This sounds uber crazy and I'm sure I'll get blasted...but David Bazzell might be a good AD.