Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Criticism of Jeff Long aside...

Started by WalHog2018, November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WalHog2018

Why hasn't B.B. been fired? Is the buyout the issue? I just don't understand.  Something else? Seems like a lot of schools will need a new HBC and we could get a head start?

hoghearted

He should at least announce he will be let go at the end of the season.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WalHog2018

Quote from: hoghearted on November 11, 2017, 06:45:08 pm
He should at least announce he will be let go at the end of the season.
then why hasn't he? What is stopping him?

ricepig

The Pulse

Everyone knows it's coming at this point. I wish he'd get on with it already.

WalHog2018

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 06:49:28 pm
That decision hasn't been made.
why hasn't it been made? What is stopping him?

Iwastherein1969

Unlike most in MMQB, I am not so sure there is going to be a firing this season. So I'm not getting my hopes up. Jeff Long is one different dude.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Wooderson

There is no benefit to firing him before seasons end. Just because Bret is the coach doesn't mean things can't happen behind the scenes. No coach will officially be interviewed until the end of the regular season even if Bret is fired this week.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Wooderson on November 11, 2017, 06:50:52 pm
There is no benefit to firing him before seasons end. Just because Bret is the coach doesn't mean things can't happen behind the scenes. No coach will officially be interviewed until the end of the regular season even if Bret is fired.
ever heard of the new "early signing period" for football ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

WalHog2018

There is no benefit to firing him before seasons end. Just because Bret is the coach doesn't mean things can't happen behind the scenes. No coach will officially be interviewed until the end of the regular season even if Bret is fired this week.
wouldn't the benefit be appeasing the fans? You know, the ones who pay the bills.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 06:50:12 pm
why hasn't it been made? What is stopping him?

Some have said that Long is not coming back so who would fire CBB?  No one is in charge.

WalHog2018

WalHog2018

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 06:52:17 pm
Some have said that Long is not coming back so who would fire CBB?  No one is in charge.
I would be shocked if ADJL was actually fired. Unless he left on his own

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 06:49:28 pm
That decision hasn't been made.

I think you are aware that the decision to let BB go has been made.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

WalHog2018

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 11, 2017, 07:05:44 pm
why do you say that?

ricepig

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 11, 2017, 07:05:44 pm

We assume it has, but there's no actual proof it has.

WalHog2018

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 07:08:34 pm
We assume it has, but there's no actual proof it has.
I'm worried sick that he will be back

007 License To Squeal

WalHog2018

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 11, 2017, 07:14:18 pm
Seek and Ye shall find

That is all.
so i should ask the Lord tomorrow at church whether CBB will be back?

ricepig

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 07:10:39 pm
I'm worried sick that he will be back
Oh, I feel 100% that he won't be back, but until it actually goes down....

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 07:33:41 pm
Oh, I feel 100% that he won't be back, but until it actually goes down....
This.  I don't see how he could stay... but I'm not going to put any money that he gets canned either.

Martygit

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm
Why hasn't B.B. been fired? Is the buyout the issue? I just don't understand.  Something else? Seems like a lot of schools will need a new HBC and we could get a head start?

Because the season is not over and there's no reason to do it before then - and, personally, I hate it when coaches are fired mid-season unless there's a really good chance to get a wanted replacement to commit and you don't want to let them get away - there's also the issue that if the administration waits until after 1/18, it will cost less
RIP OTR, REV

ricepig

Quote from: MartinGit on November 11, 2017, 07:37:55 pm
Because the season is not over and there's no reason to do it before then - and, personally, I hate it when coaches are fired mid-season unless there's a really good chance to get a wanted replacement to commit and you don't want to let them get away - there's also the issue that if the administration waits until after 1/18, it will cost less

He'll be fired on Nov. 27th.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 07:43:33 pm
He'll be fired on Nov. 27th.

I agree that it will be made public then, but it is already a done deal.

jjdlc

What advantage is there to firing him now?  You aren't hiring a new coach till December anyway.  I haven't seen any school that fired their coach mid season who could be said to have gained some advantage to doing so.  Right now FL might even wish they had waited.

oldhog63

That would be my guess as to what is currently taking place.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm

Season not over. Rarely does a head coach get fired in the season. It does happen but it is still rather rare.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cave City Joe

As much as I think CBB is not the coach we need I'm not convinced Long will let him go.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

WalHog2018

Quote from: jjdlc on November 11, 2017, 07:48:37 pm
What advantage is there to firing him now?  You aren't hiring a new coach till December anyway.  I haven't seen any school that fired their coach mid season who could be said to have gained some advantage to doing so.  Right now FL might even wish they had waited.
recruiting.. something we are seriously lacking in...

jjdlc

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 08:05:45 pm
recruiting.. something we are seriously lacking in...

Please tell me how having no coach, and a lame duck staff helps recruiting. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We will see more coaches being fired during the season due to the new early signing period
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 11, 2017, 07:46:29 pm
I agree that it will be made public then, but it is already a done deal.

It's not a done deal until it's done.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WalHog2018

Quote from: jjdlc on November 11, 2017, 08:07:26 pm
Please tell me how having no coach, and a lame duck staff helps recruiting.
that's why you fire him now, announce a new coach the day after the Season ends  and have all about 2-3 weeks to talk to recruits before the dead period. Wait till after the dead period, youve already lost prime recruiting time. If you don't understand that, you don't understand Football. Recruiting is cutthroat. Every day matters.

ricepig

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 08:40:03 pm
that's why you fire him now, announce a new coach the day after the Season ends  and have all about 2-3 weeks to talk to recruits before the dead period. Wait till after the dead period, youve already lost prime recruiting time. If you don't understand that, you don't understand Football. Recruiting is cutthroat. Every day matters.

What if the coach you want still has a championship game, no sitting coach is going to sit out a conference championship game.

WalHog2018

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 08:42:44 pm
What if the coach you want still has a championship game, no sitting coach is going to sit out a conference championship game.
fair. Announce after his conference ship. Gives you about 10 days before the dead period.

ricepig

Martygit

RIP OTR, REV

sickboy

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 11, 2017, 06:50:52 pm
Unlike most in MMQB, I am not so sure there is going to be a firing this season. So I'm not getting my hopes up. Jeff Long is one different dude.

Bielema's gone.

Tusks

I guess while Jeff was sitting outside the BOT meeting with his cell phone, he was looking at his bank balance and decided he needed this $1M/year job and decided to capitulate and play pall with the boosters.  I'd say he's been taken down a notch and maybe just maybe if he stays he won't be such an obnoxious arsehole.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

snoblind

Quote from: WalHog2018 on November 11, 2017, 07:07:40 pm
why do you say that?

I'm hearing BB is gone after the season.  Long has the opportunity to look and will be gone after north end zone is done if he hasn't found  a position.  Guess we are going to find out how good my sources are.

David†

"Feelers" are being sent out to find interest. I know for a fact that Tubbs was contacted for interest in coaching the Hogs next year.

WalHog2018

Quote from: tusked on November 11, 2017, 09:01:16 pm
I guess while Jeff was sitting outside the BOT meeting with his cell phone, he was looking at his bank balance and decided he needed this $1M/year job and decided to capitulate and play pall with the boosters.  I'd say he's been taken down a notch and maybe just maybe if he stays he won't be such an obnoxious arsehole.
i really do that that is true. He is obnoxious. If he was even just slightly hospitable and nice to the fans, he'd be much more well liked.

Tusks

Quote from: David† on November 11, 2017, 09:04:46 pm
"Feelers" are being sent out to find interest. I know for a fact that Tubbs was contacted for interest in coaching the Hogs next year.

Tubbs?  You can't be serious.  THAT would set the program back 10 years.   Hell I'd take Butch Davis and Les over Tubbs.

ShadowHawg

We knock about 300k off his buyout by letting him finish the season out

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on November 11, 2017, 09:12:03 pm
Tubbs?  You can't be serious.  THAT would set the program back 10 years.   Hell I'd take Butch Davis and Les over Tubbs.

Uh huh

Tusks

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 09:14:09 pm
We knock about 300k off his buyout by letting him finish the season out

You might make that back with fans going to the last two games that aren't going to go.

David†

Quote from: tusked on November 11, 2017, 09:12:03 pm

I'm with you. I don't think he'd take it if offered. Point being they are looking for interest. He is the only example I know.