Santos Ramirez Post Game

Started by WilsonHog, November 11, 2017, 03:08:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"We just gave up at the end and the scoreboard showed it."

The Boar War

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2017, 03:08:39 pm
“We just gave up at the end and the scoreboard showed it.”

Reminds me of quotes from the Pelphrey era.  "They just wanted it more" etc.  Even if it were true I couldn't imagine actually saying it.

hoglady

Man - wonder what Bielema thinks when his players make statements like that?

I've never seen a team have players admit to quitting as much as we do.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

porkrindjimmy

Santos shouldn't be saying that.

He should've went off.

PRJ

Dark Helmet Hog

Unfortunately, the statement matches the current culture of the program. No mental toughness. 

hoglady

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 11, 2017, 03:17:43 pm
Unfortunately, the statement matches the current culture of the program. No mental toughness. 

We really aren't very physically tough, either.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

alohawg

By end I assume he meant the entire 2nd half.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Atlhogfan1

Emotional frustrated player losing to his home state program. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dark Helmet Hog

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: alohawg on November 11, 2017, 03:19:28 pm
By end I assume he meant the entire 2nd half.

Guessing after the failed fourth down. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TheEnemy

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 11, 2017, 03:14:53 pm
Santos shouldn't be saying that.

He should've went off.

PRJ

I think he has been the only one with much fire.....and its just finally just wore him down.

He is probably just showing his frustration.

rzrbk4life

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 03:18:59 pm
We really aren't very physically tough, either.

I'm watching the AU vs. GA game and it's amazing how much more physical those teams are. It's been a few years since I've seen a physical razorback team
Let's call those hogs!!!!

SPAL

I don't mind him saying it. Everyone already knows it  anyway.

hogsolutely

It is so very sad to have to watch all this play out the way it is!   I mean there must be players that care, an performances, an extremely poor coaching is running them into the ground.  Good luck to those young men! I hope the future brings you something so much better!

Vantage 8 dude

Sad when one of your players is far more honest and willing to "tell it like it is" than the HC. Then again, the player doesn't have $4 million+ riding on his lies.

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 03:19:55 pm
Emotional frustrated player losing to his home state program. 

Yep - Ramirez always seems to play hard the whole game.
We had a number of LA players who I'm sure weren't pleased with the way this game played out.
There's been something terribly wrong with this team since the middle of last year - it's hard to know exactly what, but it's there.

SoonerSooie

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 03:20:45 pm
Guessing after the failed fourth down. 

I could not believe that play call! I mean, ok, Kelly is 6'7" or whatever and 260, but when you telegraph that you are gonna run him into the line like we did, then the other team can just have all 11 guy run to that spot! I don't care how big you are, you can't make even one yard in that situation! I was sitting in my chair, and when I saw the alignment, I was iike, surely they aren't gonna just run it into the line??!!!??? But, of course they did, and it was game over. Sigh!

farmhawg

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 03:57:42 pm
We had a number of LA players who I'm sure weren't pleased with the way this game played out.
There's been something terribly wrong with this team since the middle of last year - it's hard to know exactly what, but it's there.
Brettt.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

WilsonHog

Santos said more than once that we didn't play four quarters. Also said that on the long touchdown pass, Henri thought the ball was overthrown and checked up.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2017, 04:10:37 pm
Santos said more than once that we didn't play four quarters. Also said that on the long touchdown pass, Henri thought the ball was overthrown and checked up.

Good to see some context added. 

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: rzrbk4life on November 11, 2017, 03:21:47 pm
I'm watching the AU vs. GA game and it's amazing how much more physical those teams are. It's been a few years since I've seen a physical razorback team

Same here...players are big, fast, physical and bringing the wood!!! Makes ya wonder why these upper echelon SEC teams possess such high intensity players on the field...Hogs are scrappy but not prize fighters that I see out those type of teams...Even LSU was beatable today but just couldn't keep that drive, that fight up for the 2nd half...

MissippHog

Quote from: The Boar War on November 11, 2017, 03:13:19 pm
Reminds me of quotes from the Pelphrey era.  "They just wanted it more" etc.  Even if it were true I couldn't imagine actually saying it.
Well, we all know a "warrior just has to kind of lay down on the ground for a minute, just stay there for a second, and have a good bleed. And just bleed."  All bleeding comes to an end eventually, one way or the other. 

hogpc

Bingo!

pigbacon

I miss the passion on the field. A Tony Bua chasing a ref to the locker rooms type.

Mo_Better_Hogs

That's how i could interpret that. I like Santos, and seems like a pretty tough player. So what was he saying there?

johnny cash

That statement  really all u guys need to know.

Memhogs

Quote from: SoonerSooie on November 11, 2017, 03:59:32 pm
I could not believe that play call! I mean, ok, Kelly is 6'7" or whatever and 260, but when you telegraph that you are gonna run him into the line like we did, then the other team can just have all 11 guy run to that spot! I don't care how big you are, you can't make even one yard in that situation! I was sitting in my chair, and when I saw the alignment, I was iike, surely they aren't gonna just run it into the line??!!!??? But, of course they did, and it was game over. Sigh!

Dont forget out O-line couldnt get a push on a flag football team
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on November 11, 2017, 04:13:24 pm
Same here...players are big, fast, physical and bringing the wood!!! Makes ya wonder why these upper echelon SEC teams possess such high intensity players on the field...Hogs are scrappy but not prize fighters that I see out those type of teams...Even LSU was beatable today but just couldn't keep that drive, that fight up for the 2nd half...
,21 for Auburn reminds me of McFadden.
I love off season Football!!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on November 11, 2017, 05:23:15 pm
That's how i could interpret that. I like Santos, and seems like a pretty tough player. So what was he saying there?

The past two games against pathetic opponents, a few players giving their all was enough...barely.  Against a good team, all 11 have to bring it.  It's obvious not all players on both sides are trying and that is definitely related to coaching.  Some players have quit because the coaches play favorites.  Some have quit because the coaches don't demand more of them.  It's just a damn mess.  Any damn coach we get with a halfway sound football mind, discipline and who demands nothing less than the best will win 8 with these same players next year and compete in the other four.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 11, 2017, 05:29:40 pm
The past two games against pathetic opponents, a few players giving their all was enough...barely.  Against a good team, all 11 have to bring it.  It's obvious not all players on both sides are trying and that is definitely related to coaching.  Some players have quit because the coaches play favorites.  Some have quit because the coaches don't demand more of them.  It's just a damn mess.  Any damn coach we get with a halfway sound football mind, discipline and who demands nothing less than the best will win 8 with these same players next year and compete in the other four.

So many games this year, I get a deeper feeling than just the conclusion that "we are out-manned/out-talented" by the other team. That may be, but I feel it runs deeper. That we're not prepared strategically, mentally, psychologically.

I've been watching Razorback football since the mid 70s. I've seen a few bad teams over the years. But I've never thought what I'm thinking now. It is a mess.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2017, 04:10:37 pm

Santos just put his finger on the one defining characteristic of all Bielema's time in Fayetteville.  Win or lose it's very difficult to point to more than a tiny handful of games where his team played consistently well through the entire game.  They've done enough playing a quarter or half or OT to pull out some wins and they've collapsed completely in one quarter or OT to lose many games but there has never been any sense of consistency in this program for six years now.

Two quarters of good football by the defense plus two good possessions by the offense isn't going to get the job done many weeks and it didn't do the job today.

HawgWild

Quote from: The Boar War on November 11, 2017, 03:13:19 pm

Somtimes you just got to lay there and bleed.

JackTNHogfan

Translation: "We didn't want to tackle Guice because it hurts and Chark is just too fast to cover.  Plus our coaching staff sucks and the season is in the toilet.  So we gave up.  Kind of like telling people you quit your job after getting fired." 

hoglady

"I felt like guys didn't expect us to be in the game at half. They came in laughing at halftime. I kept telling them, we've gotta finish this game out." - Santos Ramirez

Here's another Ramirez quote I came across.

Cave City Joe

I blame the coaches.  If a player quits I would run him til he pukes
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

Some time you need to lay down and take a good bleed!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Salted Pork

Quote from: Cave City Joe on November 11, 2017, 08:16:47 pm
I blame the coaches.  If a player quits I would run him til he pukes

You can't do that nowadays.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 08:08:47 pm
"I felt like guys didn't expect us to be in the game at half. They came in laughing at halftime. I kept telling them, we've gotta finish this game out." - Santos Ramirez

Here's another Ramirez quote I came across.

I'm reminded of a scene in the movie Moneyball when Billy Beane finds his players cutting up in the locker room after a loss.

It bothers him. It eats at him because he's a competitor. He grabs a bat, busts open the boom box (before we had iPods), looks at the players dancing, laughing, having a good time, and asks them if losing is fun. "Are you guys are having fun......is losing FUN?"

This is the point;, and I'm referring to half time adjustments. There doesn't seem to be anyone in that locker room who can get an emotional rise out of this team. Our second half scoring differential with Bielema at the helm is atrocious. We come out flatlining

I love winning, as most do......but I hate losing even more; and there's a big difference between the two.

What I hate above all else is knowing we don't have a chance.

Our boys deserve better than this.....     

The Boar War

Quote from: HawgWild on November 11, 2017, 05:51:19 pm
Somtimes you just got to lay there and bleed.

I feel like too much is made of the lay there and bleed comment and not enough is made of his color red diatribe from the same "press conference".

RealHog

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on November 11, 2017, 10:36:14 pm

I'm reminded of a scene in the movie Moneyball when Billy Beane finds his players cutting up in the locker room after a loss.

It bothers him. It eats at him because he's a competitor. He grabs a bat, busts open the boom box (before we had iPods), looks at the players dancing, laughing, having a good time, and asks them if losing is fun. "Are you guys are having fun......is losing FUN?"

This is the point;, and I'm referring to half time adjustments. There doesn't seem to be anyone in that locker room who can get an emotional rise out of this team. Our second half scoring differential with Bielema at the helm is atrocious. We come out flatlining

I love winning, as most do......but I hate losing even more; and there's a big difference between the two.

What I hate above all else is knowing we don't have a chance.

Our boys deserve better than this.....   

Solid reference, Good post. This team cant stay focused.

Sundog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on November 11, 2017, 10:04:37 pm
No.

Lack of heart is internal, not external.

We failed to recruit men.  Blame the top?  Sure.

But we STILL don't have men on this roster.  The folks with numbers on their jerseys at game time own that, not coaches.

"You recruit your own problems"
~Bert Bulleema~

Nope; Bert failed

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 03:57:42 pm
Probably the coach smelling of alcohol and falling asleep during team meetings.

apcapri

Our players take on the personalities of their coaches. Our coach is soft so our players are soft.

EastexHawg

The hits just keep on coming.  Like so many things, this is incredibly damning.

farmhawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on November 11, 2017, 10:04:37 pm
No.

Lack of heart is internal, not external.

We failed to recruit men.  Blame the top?  Sure.

But we STILL don't have men on this roster.  The folks with numbers on their jerseys at game time own that, not coaches.
Teresa still defending the coach, you do know hootie dale is gone?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Mike_e

These guys need to get their ears on straight.

It doesn't matter who the coach is or how bad he is when the time you get to go out and Hit somebody is fast coming to an end.

The thing that is really damning is as most here say, these players have been taught to find excuses rather than to just go out and live and let somebody else worry about what it all means.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Swestwill66

Quote from: apcapri on November 12, 2017, 07:41:03 am
Our players take on the personalities of their coaches. Our coach is soft so our players are soft.
Absolutely!!!

razorsharptusk

He said what we all are already seeing. Not a shocker.  Him voicing it just confirms it.
GO HOGS!!