Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TJ?

Started by HOGMAN31, November 11, 2017, 01:58:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Bielema has a short leash with TJ.
When he didn't catch that pass / lateral?? - I thought well he's done for the day.
And by God he was.
He's not allowed to play through a mistake.

Hope to see him transfer if Bielema isn't canned.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 02:53:13 pm
Bielema has a short leash with TJ.
When he didn't catch that pass / lateral?? - I thought well he's done for the day.
And by God he was.
He's not allowed to play through a mistake.

Hope to see him transfer if Bielema isn't canned.

He had not done well before that compared to the other backs. 

He probably should leave if that happened. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:39:27 pm
For 15 not at RB you have to have a qb capable of delivering. 
Wilson is correct.  You are making excuses.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:44:06 pm
Against TCU Hayden tried bouncing a couple of runs like he had against FAMU and they were poor decisions.  He didn't see many touches after that.  TJ did it on his first run today.   I suspect Mitchell wasn't too happy.  Then he was hesitant on his next run.  Not saying he shouldn't have gotten touches other ways.

You aren't following the company line here. Now, give a jet sweep, or another screen, but he, or any of our RB's are going to get wide on LSU  very often.

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 02:56:28 pm
You aren't following the company line here. Now, give a jet sweep, or another screen, but he, or any of our RB's are going to get wide on LSU  very often.

Maybe a middle screen? Perhaps a tunnel screen? Maybe a wildcat look or two?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on November 11, 2017, 02:55:54 pm
Wilson is correct.  You are making excuses.

No excuses. If you want to get a player 15 touches and they aren't at RB you have to have a qb who can get them the ball.  TJ should have had a few more chances from spots other than RB.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2017, 02:58:01 pm

Sure.

Atlhogfan1

The lack of creativity with a player like TJ is one of many reasons why BB will be fired. 

hawgon

Well, hell, we all know Bert.  He is anything if not petty.  You knew the kid would be punished for doing so well and making Bert look like an idiot all week. 

Bebop

Quote from: TebowHater on November 11, 2017, 02:47:21 pm
Only takes accountability when it works. Like last week - "I told him to put TJ in"

When we don't play him, blames others

Exactly. Cant get rid of Bielema fast enough

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bebop on November 11, 2017, 03:01:30 pm
Exactly. Cant get rid of Bielema fast enough

Chaney's O looked good on first possession.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 03:01:01 pm
The lack of creativity with a player like TJ is one of many reasons why BB will be fired.

That's what's sad. We once threw a TD to an OLman, tried to run the football with a TE when we've got a stable of good RBs, yet we can't draw anything up for our most explosive playmaker.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

TheEnemy

You don't bench your homerun hitter when he strikes out his first couple at bats.....and you don't give up on your best big play runningback after a couple runs....when you are playing a team that you are going to have to have some big plays against to have any chance of winning.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 11, 2017, 02:58:01 pm

Works for me.

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:54:22 pm
He had not done well before that compared to the other backs. 

He probably should leave if that happened. 

He had 2 touches before that / when your first quarter offense gains all of 28 yards, no one is doing much. I agree when running up the gut Whaley or Williams is the better option. Not sure there's a legitimate excuse for totally ignoring Hammonds in the 2nd half - (when you fall behind and need to put up quick scores).
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

aloha_kid

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 11, 2017, 02:02:39 pm
3 touches no production, whaley had hot hand

Shhhh don't say that too loudly.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 11, 2017, 03:07:02 pm

Yep. College football is more than just being handed the ball and running fast. Works against famu and cc.  If TJ isn't capable of being a RB on more downs then they needed to be more creative with him.

HOGMAN31

Put him on the field as a decoy for a few plays, eventually it will pay off.

HogPharmer

Let TJ PROVE he isn't worth my of more touches then I'll accept benching him.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Bebop

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 11, 2017, 03:07:02 pm

Sure, give the ball to the back who is hot. The issue with Hammonds, however, exists outside of one game: it has been going on the entire season. It becomes more frustrating when the coach has said that Hammonds would get more opportunities in the future.

twistitup

Hammonds needs more opportunities.

You don't stop giving to a back when he's not productive on a few carries.....get into the flow of the game and keep going to him occasionally. Chances are he will hit a big one.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgXi

Quote from: rude1 on November 11, 2017, 02:10:17 pm
You know the MO by now, guys who he hasn't played much makes some plays in limited duty, the response is to not play them much going forward to eliminate the questions on why X player hasn't been playing all along. Will Gragg is fitting this too, make a nice play, get rewarded with more bench time so the coach doesn't have to answer the question on why we haven't seen much of this player.

Right outta the hooter dale playbook

soso

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 11, 2017, 03:13:32 pm
Let TJ PROVE he isn't worth my of more touches then I'll accept benching him.
What does this mean?

McBain

Quote from: soso on November 11, 2017, 07:28:25 pm
What does this mean?

Give him 15 carries and see what happens. Not just two. Didn't even see the field in the second half.

hoglady

It's hard to be productive  - when every time he enters the game he gets the ball.
I don't think he was in for a single play that wasn't called for him.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that - but I don't recall seeing him in on any other play.

Cinco de Hogo

Bottom line is that any coach that I want as HC would be getting the ball to Hammonds, Jones, Patton, Gragg etc...  BB simply will not allow an offense that spreads the defense out enough to have space to operate in.  After 5 years how could any fan still be blind to this?  If you can't recruit power but you can speed why recruit slow and weak then refuse to play what speed you do have?

Maybe someone wants fired so he can go live on the beach with a beautiful wife and new daughter.

MushroomCloudHog

I look at it this way. If you have impact players on the team and you can't find a way for them to impact the game....It falls on the coach and staff. If he's not "ready" enough to put in the game....it falls on the coach. If it's the "scheme"..you modify the "scheme" to fit your talent. I don't like or dislike Nutt....but he changed his offense to fit Matt Jones...as a Freshman...and starting out in the SEC 0-3. Building your scheme around your talent is THE key. DMac running, receiving, returning and passing for TD's is fitting your scheme to your talent. Anything "Bert" has to say as to "why" he didn't see the field is at best wasted oxygen in value. CAN HIM NOW

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: clutch on November 11, 2017, 02:25:16 pm
You've got to find ways to get your most explosive player the ball effectively. If a teams fast, you don't want your fastest guys sitting around watching. You need the ability to draw something up to get them the ball in space.

Fact!!! Look at other teams, they find creative ways to get your big playmaker the ball in space and let his natural abilities and instinct figure out the rest...Definitely don't agree with not playing him more even in a slot screen or that dumb jet sweep...

scogs

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 11, 2017, 02:01:21 pm
They're trying to work him in, it's tough. He also got stepped on in practice 2 months ago. They are going to do. Better job of working him in going forward. He has to learn the playbook.

+1

https://i.imgur.com/BZZeyIh.gif

Cave City Joe

"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on November 11, 2017, 07:38:03 pm
It's hard to be productive  - when every time he enters the game he gets the ball.
I don't think he was in for a single play that wasn't called for him.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that - but I don't recall seeing him in on any other play.
This is a good point. How effective can he truly be if the few times he comes on the field he is getting the ball? To be effective he needs to be in the game on more plays period so the defenses can't key on him when he comes into the game.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Bebop on November 11, 2017, 03:25:46 pm
Sure, give the ball to the back who is hot. The issue with Hammonds, however, exists outside of one game: it has been going on the entire season. It becomes more frustrating when the coach has said that Hammonds would get more opportunities in the future.
He will be given more opportunities: in practice but never during a game.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

I think a 12 year old could find a way to get TJ the ball in space on an NCAA football game

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:18:45 pm
LSU D a little faster than CC.  TJ not effective as a RB today.  But they should find ways to move him around more.

Porkchop#1

I am sick and tired of you people saying Coach Bielema is not a good defensive coach!

He's done way better than any other coach we've faced at shutting down TJ Hammonds' production.

bds21hog

Or could it be due to posts on the tweeter? Not an analytics guy
Smells of Dale

hobhog

Baffling game and play management all day.....

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:04:53 pm
Ineffective today.  Looked hesitant. 
Agreed.  He did nothing the couple times he did touch it.  He probably should have had more touches, yes, but Whaley and Williams were doing decent, especially on the drive before halftime. 

hobhog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 11, 2017, 10:53:52 pm
Agreed.  He did nothing the couple times he did touch it.  He probably should have had more touches, yes, but Whaley and Williams were doing decent, especially on the drive before halftime.

He has averaged over 10 yards a touch. It's obvious to anybody watching he is a step faster than anyone in red. But ok. Bench him after a "couple of touches"....

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:44:06 pm
Against TCU Hayden tried bouncing a couple of runs like he had against FAMU and they were poor decisions.  He didn't see many touches after that.  TJ did it on his first run today.   I suspect Mitchell wasn't too happy.  Then he was hesitant on his next run.  Not saying he shouldn't have gotten touches other ways.
No one will want to hear it, but this is the correct answer.  One of the staff's major rules is "get what you can get".  Make that back cut 4 yds down field.  Not behind the line where you may pop a run, but cost 3yds if you're wrong. That what TJ did and he came out.  The plan was to run inside and off tackle.  That worked.  Not every play is destined to be a sweep. I wish he would have had more touches, but LSU's speed to the outside edge and the corner takes away a lot of what TJ brings to the table. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

atom hog

So Bert  "called that play" too? That's no way to reward the guy that saved his a$$ from getting fired last week.

FANONTHEHILL

Please don't overvalue my comment above as any type of agreement or endorsement of anything going on with the staff.  Just a comment as to why TJ's decision making led to his limited touches.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawgon

Superman won't be successful against a legit SEC team when you only insert him into the game two or three times and give him the ball every single time.  TJ needs to be in the field.  He is someone that teams must account for and even as a decoy he could help.  Amazing that our staff has trouble figuring out ways to use talented guys instead of just putting them out there and letting them play. 

twistitup

Quote from: hawgon on November 12, 2017, 05:26:55 am
Superman won't be successful against a legit SEC team when you only insert him into the game two or three times and give him the ball every single time.  TJ needs to be in the field.  He is someone that teams must account for and even as a decoy he could help.  Amazing that our staff has trouble figuring out ways to use talented guys instead of just putting them out there and letting them play.

Agree, he needs to be on the field more....let him be a decoy every now and then....don't put him in, give him ball- then back to sidelines.

They are just keying on him when he goes in.

twistitup

Tj is like a Reggie Bush type - not big but huge playmaker in the right situation...

hawgon

Quote from: twistitup on November 12, 2017, 05:41:16 am
Tj is like a Reggie Bush type - not big but huge playmaker in the right situation...

IF you wanted him to succeed.  Bert didn't want him to do well yesterday.  He wanted him to be ineffective so that Bert didn't look like as big of an idiot for not playing him the last two years.  Someone has to pay for making Bert have to answer all those uncomfortable questions all week.

atom hog

Quote from: hawgon on November 12, 2017, 05:59:24 am
IF you wanted him to succeed.  Bert didn't want him to do well yesterday.  He wanted him to be ineffective so that Bert didn't look like as big of an idiot for not playing him the last two years.  Someone has to pay for making Bert have to answer all those uncomfortable questions all week.
^^^^
This!!! Plus he's an Ark. kid and it gives Bert an opportunity to give a big middle finger to the fans. Oh, and Will Gragg won't see the field except in the case of injuries forcing him into the lineup.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 02:06:10 pm
Maybe.  Certainly on the field.

Yeah, I mean, if a guy can't get going after 3 plays, he needs to sit and think about where his head is!!
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

hoglady

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 12, 2017, 05:20:57 am
Please don’t overvalue my comment above as any type of agreement or endorsement of anything going on with the staff.  Just a comment as to why TJ’s decision making led to his limited touches.

Oh, I get what you're saying. Whaley and Williams played well yesterday.
TJ is different type player and working him in effectively would really help this offense. Sustained drives are hard to do every single time you have the ball. We've got to have some of those big plays. Hammonds has been the player who can give that to the offense. They've just done a poor job of getting him the ball in space.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Bebop on November 11, 2017, 03:25:46 pm
I dont disagree but you cant look at it in a vacuum.  Hammonds and Hayden are both similar type backs.  Hammonds showed his stuff after Hayden got hurt.  IMO the staff just thought Hayden was better, right or wrong.  I dont know of many teams that use 4 running backs regularly.  As for yesterday, they were having success up the middle.  On the otherhand, I would love to see more wildhog and get hammonds some touches there.