Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

iPad 3 out today

Started by GusMcRae, March 07, 2012, 02:37:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

http://www.newsmax.com/SciTech/Apple-iPad-4G-/2012/03/06/id/431556

I don't own an iPad yet.
So, do I fork over the dough and get "the latest and greatest", or now just pick up a iPad 2 for next to nothing?  Primary use would be for aviation.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

fdx flyer

If your primary use is aviation, I'd say go with the older versions.  Heck, even an iPad one will suffice.  To be able to have built in GPS, you need to get the version that includes wifi+3g, not just wifi alone.  You don't have to pay for a data subscription.  The basic wifi only version does not have a built in GPS though. 

I have Foreflight, but WingX looks good too.  With WingX you can add on AHRS and synthetic vision stuff that looks pretty cool (you have to buy an $800 AHRS module).  Honestly, I don't use the iPad in the plane as much as I thought I would.  If I flew more IFR, it'd be great as an EFB.  As it is, I primarily use it for pre-flight planning, and use my Garmin Aera 560 for nav.

bvillepig

fdx flyer has it pretty well nailed.

I also don't use the Ipad much in the plane but I use the heck out of it for pre flight and weather.

I use foreflight and agree that it's primary use would be pre flight.

It looks as if the aviation world is really going to support the Ipad well.

GusMcRae

March 08, 2012, 08:24:45 am #3 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:26:20 am by GusMcRae
My C-182 has a Garmin 430, without WAAS.  No other GPS in the C-182, so I had been thinking of adding an Aera 560.  If the iPad has weather capabilities, would it be as reliable for weather needs in flight, thus not really needing to get an Aera 560, since I have a 430?  Or does the Aera 560 do way more in regard to weather than an iPad could do, so I just need to bite the bullet and get both. 
I do understand the other capabilities of the Aera, the C-150 has an Aera 500, and it is much more user friendly than the 430 in regard to Nav, finding airport info, whatever else you need, etc,,,, (I'm still learning how to use the 430). 
Anyone have input?

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 08, 2012, 08:24:45 am
My C-182 has a Garmin 430, without WAAS.  No other GPS in the C-182, so I had been thinking of adding an Aera 560.  If the iPad has weather capabilities, would it be as reliable for weather needs in flight, thus not really needing to get an Aera 560, since I have a 430?  Or does the Aera 560 do way more in regard to weather than an iPad could do, so I just need to bite the bullet and get both. 
I do understand the other capabilities of the Aera, the C-150 has an Aera 500, and it is much more user friendly than the 430 in regard to Nav, finding airport info, whatever else you need, etc,,,, (I'm still learning how to use the 430). 
Anyone have input?

i agree with bvillepig/fdxflyer in regards to the 'in cockpit usage'.

i have a 696, and here is how a typical flight goes...

all preflight is done with foreflight, including filing the flight plan. once i crank up, its 696 as primary and ipad as backup, a lot of times i use the ipad when looking at the airport diagram and i use the scratch pad some. overall i would consider it as priceless as a back up and it makes flight planning much easier.

do the GPS units you guys are talking about have VNAV? what is the difference in the aera stuff and just the regualar garmin, like my 696 or a 496?

gus, coming from a VFR pilot, i would think an ipad would be a great solution for you, you have the 430 for primary nav, ipad for planning/back-up/geo-ref plates/in flight wx/afd/etc. you could yolk mount that sucka, get you a bluetooth antennae and you would be set.

also, if you guys are using your ipad as your log book, you are missing out. i use http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Default.aspx and would highly recommend it.

here is the last flight i logged on it... i was picking my kids up in Cabot after a weekend in Hot Springs, but it is a good example of what it can do. there is an ipad/iphone app and it uploads it to a website, pretty slick. you can see your ground track also, i really like that, makes a good case for auto-pilot, although in this example LR approach was involved in a lot of the mess.

http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Public/ViewPublicFlight.aspx?id=175756
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 08, 2012, 08:46:31 am

do the GPS units you guys are talking about have VNAV? what is the difference in the aera stuff and just the regualar garmin, like my 696 or a 496?

http://myflightbook.com/logbook/Public/ViewPublicFlight.aspx?id=175756

I don't believe the Garmin Aera 500 that we have in the C-150 has VNAV capabilities.  If it does, I don't know how to view it.  I know the Aera 560 will do more than the 500, although I have never operated one.  My CFI keeps telling me that I should get a 560 for the C-182.  I'm going to ask him the same thing about whether or not an iPad will give me all that I need when taking into consideration that the C-182 already has a Garmin 430.

I think the Aera 500, 560 series, is just the "touch screen" versions of the older 396, 496, etc...  I may be wrong about that.  I figure they have some sort of additional features than their predecessors.

GusMcRae

I just looked up the features of both the Aera 500 and 560.  Both show to have VNAV.  I'll have to look again at the Aera 500 we have in the C-150. I just don't fly it much anymore, and lately it has been local flying, so I didn't even hook it up and snap it in the air-gizmo.

Flying Razorback

The Air Force is beginning to purchase iPads for their electronic flight bag use.  I know just our regional flight bags are heavy and cumbersome, worldwide ones are even worse.  The initial movement is based on "fuel savings" and paper savings by not having to buy as much FLIP or haul around the entire worldwide pack.  However, I still don't like the idea of putting all my faith in an electronic or batter powered piece of equipment.  Guess I'm still a little old school in that regards.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

GusMcRae

Well, I took the plunge. iPad 3, wifi, 3g, 64bit.  Signing up for foreflight today.  Best Buy had an interest free thing going on for 18mo.  I've got a lot to learn about it all.

BTW, where's everyone been lately?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 03, 2012, 01:50:27 pm
Well, I took the plunge. iPad 3, wifi, 3g, 64bit.  Signing up for foreflight today.  Best Buy had an interest free thing going on for 18mo.  I've got a lot to learn about it all.

you'll love ff...

i have the annual blues. waiting my turn to get the annual done... havent flown for about 5 days now... no fun.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 03, 2012, 02:24:26 pm
you'll love ff...

i have the annual blues. waiting my turn to get the annual done... havent flown for about 5 days now... no fun.

It's been 8 days for me.  I am planning to go have my s-tech 20 AP worked on Thursday, about 100 miles away.  I've been missing that thing since it quit working.  That will give me some time to figure the iPad out while waiting on the repair.
Annuals on both 150 and 182 are due in June. 

gotyacovered

April 03, 2012, 04:53:09 pm #11 Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:26:28 am by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on April 03, 2012, 02:54:58 pm
It's been 8 days for me.  I am planning to go have my s-tech 20 AP worked on Thursday, about 100 miles away.  I've been missing that thing since it quit working.  That will give me some time to figure the iPad out while waiting on the repair.
Annuals on both 150 and 182 are due in June. 

it wont take you long, bville got me started right, once you learn what to put in the search box, its game on.

just get your profile set up and you can type it in to include winds aloft, or not, different speeds and fuel burn... mine almost always read something like

M18 KHOT 3500FT N42653

here it is with the radar on...

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 03, 2012, 01:50:27 pm

It has been quiet but I'm guessing it's just a busy time of year for everyone.  I've been gone on training, had to travel to Chicago, been busy with my masters, and am moving to Little Rock in 2 weeks.

It's been crazy around here for me.

Now my dilemma, I have 985.1 instructor hours...  I could fly heavy next week the week before the move to get to 1,000.  Or I could just resign myself to "about 1,000 instructor hours..." in conversation.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on April 03, 2012, 08:12:28 pm
It has been quiet but I'm guessing it's just a busy time of year for everyone.  I've been gone on training, had to travel to Chicago, been busy with my masters, and am moving to Little Rock in 2 weeks.

Now my dilemma, I have 985.1 instructor hours...  I could fly heavy next week the week before the move to get to 1,000.  Or I could just resign myself to "about 1,000 instructor hours..." in conversation.

Bust it man.

GusMcRae

I agree with gotya.  If I were that close to that milestone, I would want that feather in my cap. 

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 03, 2012, 04:53:09 pm
it wont take you long, bville got me started right, once you learn what to put in the search box, its game on.

just get your profile set up and you can type it in to include winds aloft, or not, different speeds and fuel burn...

I've got some folks around here that use it a lot that can help get me lined out on it.  I've lurked around on it a little bit and did get my plane profile set up, but I definitely need a little start-up help. 

bvillepig

Get your 1000 !!

bvillepig

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 04, 2012, 01:57:24 pm
I've got some folks around here that use it a lot that can help get me lined out on it.  I've lurked around on it a little bit and did get my plane profile set up, but I definitely need a little start-up help. 

Gus What do you need ? We will help if we can.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 03, 2012, 09:19:38 pm
Bust it man.

Quote from: bvillepig on April 04, 2012, 05:14:10 pm
Get your 1000 !!

Ha, alright, I'll see what I can do.  That's only about 4 flights, 3 next week and one the following Monday for my fini flight.  I'll do what I can, but it won't be easy!

GusMcRae

Quote from: bvillepig on April 04, 2012, 05:15:06 pm
Gus What do you need ? We will help if we can.

Thanks guys. 
Ok, here goes the first of probably many Qs:

Mine is the iPad 3.  My CFI's is a 2 or 1.  On his when he has an approach plate pulled up, he can push the main button 3 times (I think), and it goes to a night time mode, inverts the blacks and the whites so you can see it better at night in the cockpit..... When you try that on mine, it just goes back to the main menu.  I don't know if this is a feature in Foreflight, or if it is a setting on the iPad in general.
I've looked for the feature in both, and cannot find how to do it.
It's no big deal right now b/c I don't really make a habit of flying at night anyway. 
But I would like to know how to make it go into this "night time" mode.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 05, 2012, 01:15:50 am
Thanks guys. 
Ok, here goes the first of probably many Qs:

Mine is the iPad 3.  My CFI's is a 2 or 1.  On his when he has an approach plate pulled up, he can push the main button 3 times (I think), and it goes to a night time mode, inverts the blacks and the whites so you can see it better at night in the cockpit..... When you try that on mine, it just goes back to the main menu.  I don't know if this is a feature in Foreflight, or if it is a setting on the iPad in general.
I've looked for the feature in both, and cannot find how to do it.
It's no big deal right now b/c I don't really make a habit of flying at night anyway. 
But I would like to know how to make it go into this "night time" mode.

over my head already. i have a 2 and tried to duplicate it with no luck.

i went through all the settings and couldnt find it out that way either. i briefly looked through the device settings with no luck as well.

makes me wonder if that is a feature of the "Pro" version which add the geo-ref plates, IDK, just a thought.

bvillepig

I think I have a 2 . On mine there is no way to reverse the plates for night that I know of. The setting to turn the brightness down is in Settings
Brightness and WallPaper. Right below cellular data.  Turn auto brightness off and set to your liking.

GusMcRae

April 06, 2012, 12:00:26 pm #22 Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:02:18 pm by GusMcRae
Quote from: bvillepig on April 05, 2012, 08:42:28 pm
I think I have a 2 . On mine there is no way to reverse the plates for night that I know of. The setting to turn the brightness down is in Settings
Brightness and WallPaper. Right below cellular data.  Turn auto brightness off and set to your liking.

If my CFI and I can figure it out by sitting down with them side by side, I will let y'all know.  His is a 2 I think, but it may be a 1.  If the 1 had it, I can't imagine that they would not include that feature on the 2 and 3.

I feel pretty dumb,,,, for the trip I just got back from, I didn't figure out how to turn on the "location services" (it was off) until I got back and got help with it this morning.  It was helpful having the maps with my routes on there, and to have the airport info right at my fingertips.....  Tommy likey! ;D

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 06, 2012, 12:00:26 pm
If my CFI and I can figure it out by sitting down with them side by side, I will let y'all know.  His is a 2 I think, but it may be a 1.  If the 1 had it, I can't imagine that they would not include that feature on the 2 and 3.

I feel pretty dumb,,,, for the trip I just got back from, I didn't figure out how to turn on the "location preferences" until I got back and got help with it this morning.  It was helpful having the maps with my routes on there, and to have the airport info right at my fingertips.....  Tommy likey! ;D

i just talked with my dad, they are in the process of purchasing them for the fleet right now, he agrees with my suspicion that it is the difference between the foreflight and forflight HD pro. the price is double.

GusMcRae

I got the Foreflight mobile pro, since I am instrument training this year and wanted the approach plates to be available to me.  So you're saying that there is another level, or the business pro or fleet plans have HD, and that may be the only way you get that feature???

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 06, 2012, 12:13:22 pm
I got the Foreflight mobile pro, since I am instrument training this year and wanted the approach plates to be available to me.  So you're saying that there is another level, or the business pro or fleet plans have HD, and that may be the only way you get that feature???

No. I think of you have the pro version should be able to flip/flop the white/black on the plates.

GusMcRae

Quote from: fdx flyer on March 07, 2012, 03:06:11 pm
With WingX you can add on AHRS and synthetic vision stuff that looks pretty cool (you have to buy an $800 AHRS module).  Honestly, I don't use the iPad in the plane as much as I thought I would.  If I flew more IFR, it'd be great as an EFB.  As it is, I primarily use it for pre-flight planning, and use my Garmin Aera 560 for nav.

Looks like a new product on the market called "Stratus" is very similar to the AHRS module.  Portable receiver that wirelessly streams NEXRAD radar, text weather, TFR's and GPS position to Foreflight.  No subscription required, but the receiver is up there in that $800 price range as well.

Probably not going to go that route.  Trying to find a slightly used Garmin aera 560 at a big discount off of new price.  New they are $1599 right now and another $129 for the panel mount airgizmo.

GusMcRae

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 13, 2012, 10:08:40 am
Looks like a new product on the market called "Stratus" is very similar to the AHRS module.  Portable receiver that wirelessly streams NEXRAD radar, text weather, TFR's and GPS position to Foreflight.  No subscription required, but the receiver is up there in that $800 price range as well.

Here's a link: http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/pilot-supplies/free-cockpit-ipad-weather-we-fly-stratus

After reading this I'm thinking about it instead of a Garmin aera 560.  I should be able to get a used 560 for about $1,000 or so, plus the subscription for xm radio and weather.  But I've already made the investment for the iPad, could get this stratus thing for $800.00, and no subscription needed.  Wouldn't have xm radio capabilities though.

Any thoughts?

High Octane Hog

GusMcRae

Quote from: High Octane Hog on April 24, 2012, 11:08:53 pm
its awesome

HOH, are you saying the Stratus is awesome?  Please elaborate.  I am very close to pulling the trigger on ordering one, and foregoing the purchase of a Garmin with xm weather capabilities.

GusMcRae

Enable Night Mode for viewing approach charts at night

The iPad has a built-in feature that allows you to invert the colors on the screen — this is very useful when viewing approach charts at night by showing white text and graphics on a black background. Here's how to enable it:

Go to the Settings icon on the iPad.
You'll be at the "General" selection on the left by default; scroll down on the right side and select "Accessibility".
Select the "Triple-click Home" option now at the bottom of the list.
Select "Toggle White on Black" from the list (you'll see a check mark at the right when it's selected).
Now, when viewing an approach chart and you click the home button three times quickly (circular button on the lower front of the iPad), you'll invert the colors of the screen. This makes for a much better low-light viewing experience at night in the cockpit.

I have not done this yet, but will today.
This came from Sporty's top 12 iPad tips.  Y'all might want to take a look sometime.  It's been helpful.

Flying Razorback

I was given my Air Force issued iPad 3 today.  But of course in perfect government/military form we are not allowed to so much as change the background picture on it.  We are not allowed to install apps on it.  We are not allowed to connect it to Wi-Fi or any other network source.  Not allowed to connect it to our home computers or computers on the Air Force network.  Not allowed to take pictures with it or store any personal information on it (even though it was issued directly to us).

All we are allowed to use it for is storing all of our flight manuals and publications.  It also has all of our enroute charts, approach plates, and planning documents.  But of course the display isn't NVG compatible...

Pretty expensive for a PDF reader.  Fragile and short battery life too.  You think it would have been cheaper to hand out a bunch of $99 Kindles or Nooks if all they want us to do is read PDFs on it.

GusMcRae

Oh yes, and when the next big thing comes out, it will be sanitized and thrown in a warehouse somewhere or given away to a local grade school. 

That's a shame, but that's the way we do it in civilian govt service as well. We have not gotten any thing smaller than laptops though.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on August 30, 2012, 09:11:37 pm
I was given my Air Force issued iPad 3 today.  But of course in perfect government/military form we are not allowed to so much as change the background picture on it.  We are not allowed to install apps on it.  We are not allowed to connect it to Wi-Fi or any other network source.  Not allowed to connect it to our home computers or computers on the Air Force network.  Not allowed to take pictures with it or store any personal information on it (even though it was issued directly to us).

All we are allowed to use it for is storing all of our flight manuals and publications.  It also has all of our enroute charts, approach plates, and planning documents.  But of course the display isn't NVG compatible...

Pretty expensive for a PDF reader.  Fragile and short battery life too.  You think it would have been cheaper to hand out a bunch of $99 Kindles or Nooks if all they want us to do is read PDFs on it.

typical government BS. the fact you cant have FF/WingX/Garmin on there is interesting. my guess is they dont have protocols/training in place to control its use in the cockpit so they toss toss it out.

next thing you will know the fed gov will subsidize solar panels and ethanol. /too late ;D

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on April 04, 2012, 08:25:24 pm
Ha, alright, I'll see what I can do.  That's only about 4 flights, 3 next week and one the following Monday for my fini flight.  I'll do what I can, but it won't be easy!

Status? ;D

i was thinking about this other day and couldnt find it - have to admit, didnt look in the iPad 3 thread  ::)

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 31, 2012, 09:29:09 am
Status? ;D

i was thinking about this other day and couldnt find it - have to admit, didnt look in the iPad 3 thread  ::)

No, I didn't make it.  Fell just shy.  Selling the house, packing, moving, and out processing turned out to take all my time.  Flying at my last assignment took about 10 hours out of the day and I just couldn't put off the things I had to do during "business hours" enough.  Too many times I could only accomplish something "between 10 AM - 11 AM on Thursday..." or something. 

I still feel like I learned a ton and got a lot of valuable flying out of that assignment.  I got about 1300 hours while I was there and just a few hours shy of 1000 instructor hours.  I got about 1150 PIC twin turbine hours which is nice to have in the back pocket since I'm about to be a copilot for 6-12 months before getting back to the PIC hours.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on August 31, 2012, 03:28:47 pm
No, I didn't make it.  Fell just shy.  Selling the house, packing, moving, and out processing turned out to take all my time.  Flying at my last assignment took about 10 hours out of the day and I just couldn't put off the things I had to do during "business hours" enough.  Too many times I could only accomplish something "between 10 AM - 11 AM on Thursday..." or something. 

I still feel like I learned a ton and got a lot of valuable flying out of that assignment.  I got about 1300 hours while I was there and just a few hours shy of 1000 instructor hours.  I got about 1150 PIC twin turbine hours which is nice to have in the back pocket since I'm about to be a copilot for 6-12 months before getting back to the PIC hours.

Congrats anyway... ;D

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 31, 2012, 09:23:48 am
typical government BS. the fact you cant have FF/WingX/Garmin on there is interesting. my guess is they dont have protocols/training in place to control its use in the cockpit so they toss toss it out.

next thing you will know the fed gov will subsidize solar panels and ethanol. /too late ;D

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous.  It all started as a whimsical idea by someone in a position of power.  They wanted an iPad in flight, said "get it done".  And then when it filtered through all the levels, and all the people afraid they'd be tied to the first accident while someone was playing Angry Birds, we got an $800 eReader.  All they want is for it to be used to read PDFs...  Seems that they could have gone much cheaper for that.

rnclittlerock

this is a bit late but if all you want is a cheapo GPS alternative look into a 7" android tablet instead.

i have used both a samsung galaxy 7.7 and a google nexus (both are 200 dollars) with naviator (naviatorapp.com) and it works great.

plus with the smaller form factor you can yoke mount it.  10" tablets are a bit big for cockpit use, imo, at least in a 172 they are...

Flying Razorback

Quote from: rnclittlerock on September 09, 2012, 07:42:35 pm
this is a bit late but if all you want is a cheapo GPS alternative look into a 7" android tablet instead.

i have used both a samsung galaxy 7.7 and a google nexus (both are 200 dollars) with naviator (naviatorapp.com) and it works great.

plus with the smaller form factor you can yoke mount it.  10" tablets are a bit big for cockpit use, imo, at least in a 172 they are...

I have always thought that the full size tablet would be a little clumsy in the cockpit.  I think the iPad mini this fall will find good use in the cockpit.  I had someone the other day telling me good things about the Samsung Note or whatever it's called.

rnclittlerock

September 09, 2012, 10:56:43 pm #40 Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:02:21 pm by rnclittlerock
Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on September 09, 2012, 08:05:39 pm
I have always thought that the full size tablet would be a little clumsy in the cockpit.  I think the iPad mini this fall will find good use in the cockpit.  I had someone the other day telling me good things about the Samsung Note or whatever it's called.

yeah the note has better hardware than some of the tablets, if a bit small.

i currently fly with a nexus tablet and have no complaints.  i don't own a plane yet so in old rentals, it's definitely worth having for a couple hundred bucks plus 5 bucks a month when there is no other GPS option.

i use a yoke mount from RAM mounts, works fine, doesn't obstruct the instruments, easily folded away and stuffed in my bag along with the small tablet when i hop out of the crappo old rental.

gotyacovered

i'll be curious to see how the mini-ipad works out. think its pretty sweet, although i have zero complaints in cockpit regard ipad size... i have my 696 mounted with a ram yolk mount on the left side and the ipad on the right side angled towards me and it doesnt obstruct anything from the left seat... i have not had a right seat pilot since installing it.

i imagine when i start IR training it might move, just not sure how it is going to work over there with the approach plates.

i wish i could get teh 696 panel mounted and the ipad on the left seat yolk...

BTW - rnclittlerock... welcome to the board, glad to have another voice around!!! you based in arkansas? fly for fun? work? both? fly to many games?

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 10, 2012, 10:08:26 am

i imagine when i start IR training it might move, just not sure how it is going to work over there with the approach plates.

i wish i could get teh 696 panel mounted and the ipad on the left seat yolk...

I have not mounted my i-pad anywhere.  If I'm by myself, I put it in the right hand seat, pick it up when I want to look at foreflight map, to check out airport info (i.e. pattern alt, frequencies, runway options, etc...), enter myflightbook entries, etc...
If I have a passenger, I give them the duty of holding the iPad, I give them verbal instructions how to look up airport info and how to do the "tap now" on myflightbook. 

I've thought about yolk mounting the iPad, but it just seems that it's going to obstruct my vision to several instruments. 
My 560 is panel mounted, and of course my 430 is, so I can look up any airport infor on either of those, however, foreflight to me is much more user friendly to look up that info.  The myflightbook is just a convenience deal too.  I just don't think I want to be rubber-necking around a panel mounted iPad (which is really just a luxury/convenience item) to see the instruments that I truly need to be paying attention to. 
I can see how right hand side yolk mounted iPad would not be as "in the way". 

rnclittlerock

September 10, 2012, 08:14:58 pm #43 Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:22:22 pm by rnclittlerock
Quote from: gotyacovered on September 10, 2012, 10:08:26 am

BTW - rnclittlerock... welcome to the board, glad to have another voice around!!! you based in arkansas? fly for fun? work? both? fly to many games?

i'm actually just finishing up my private.  been casually working at it for, well, coming up on a year, lol.  got busy after about six months and rather than making time just had the CFI keep signing me off on solo endorsements to putter around for fun with but i'm trying to actually finish it now.  went and did the written at american flyers in dallas last month and am planning on flying every other day for a week or two and then scheduling the checkride.

i was renting 5208D out of SUZ for the first six months but that guy sold it so am now renting 737JR out of CWS to finish up.

my dad and grandad both flew, in addition to granddad being a mechanic, so kinda in the family.  i guess i'll be the first to be able to afford a nice plane, that's about all i got on them.  nicest thing dad ever saw the title to was a J3 Cub, and he lost that around the time i was born.  engine failure, had to put it down in a cow pasture and the cows ate the fabric, they love the taste of that paint/epoxy apparently.

i live in hillcrest now, originally from NOLA.

i'm a landlord so don't really have to go to work every day, that's how dad convinced me to go fly and let him relive his youth vicariously.  got family in DFW, STL, and NOLA so i'll be using something for short 2 hour trips mostly.  got an old house i've been working on to sell but when it's gone i'll probably be in the market for some  transition hours in a Bonanza and plan to buy an A36.

GusMcRae

Nice to have some new blood.
I'm not the only one on this board with Bonanza envy.
Keep us posted on your progress towards the pp and the search for a bird.

GusMcRae

I had my iPad out this AM, had it on "My Flight Book" and tapped the "tap for now" for the start engine time.  It had about 75% battery.  By the time I did my run-up, I looked down and it had gone completely off and would not come back on.  After taking off and climbing to alt, I dug out my cig lighter charger and plugged it in.  Nada, zip, zero.  I thought it had fried or something.  I did have the music jack plugged into it when I hit the master avionics switch on,,, not sure if there was some sort of  power surge that shut it off or what.
After I got back to my FBO, my CFI told me to hold the power button, and the home screen button (big round button at the bottom) down for 6 seconds or so, and that is supposed to re-boot it or something.  It worked.
I'll try to remember not to plug in the music jack until after turning the master av switch on. Not sure that had anything to do with it, but that's the only thing I can think of that I did different.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on October 24, 2012, 11:59:02 am
I had my iPad out this AM, had it on "My Flight Book" and tapped the "tap for now" for the start engine time.  It had about 75% battery.  By the time I did my run-up, I looked down and it had gone completely off and would not come back on.  After taking off and climbing to alt, I dug out my cig lighter charger and plugged it in.  Nada, zip, zero.  I thought it had fried or something.  I did have the music jack plugged into it when I hit the master avionics switch on,,, not sure if there was some sort of  power surge that shut it off or what.
After I got back to my FBO, my CFI told me to hold the power button, and the home screen button (big round button at the bottom) down for 6 seconds or so, and that is supposed to re-boot it or something.  It worked.
I'll try to remember not to plug in the music jack until after turning the master av switch on. Not sure that had anything to do with it, but that's the only thing I can think of that I did different.

holy cow! so what audio port were you plugged into, the audio panel. its alarming that it did that to your ipad, but even more so that it is doing/did it to you audio panel!?! that current would have to go through it to zap the ipad no? i assume you didnt have any breakers tripped?

surely you just had a crash and it turned itself off or something. i think in general settings there is a diagnostics section and you can look at crash reports...

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 24, 2012, 12:48:47 pm
holy cow! so what audio port were you plugged into, the audio panel. its alarming that it did that to your ipad, but even more so that it is doing/did it to you audio panel!?! that current would have to go through it to zap the ipad no? i assume you didnt have any breakers tripped?

surely you just had a crash and it turned itself off or something. i think in general settings there is a diagnostics section and you can look at crash reports...

When I had all that avionics work done, I had them put in a music jack to run an iPad/iPod, etc,,,  That's the port I had it plugged into.  It does not plug directly into the audio panel.  But the music mutes when any activity comes over the radio, or if someone in the plane talks on the intercom. 
No circuit breakers tripped or anything.  No problems anywhere except with the iPad going down. 
It must have been just a coincidence that it crashed, but I did have it plugged in prior to flipping on the master av switch.  I'm was just guessing that it could have been a power surge from that, even though there shouldn't be any power coming through that at all. 

gotyacovered

October 24, 2012, 01:07:17 pm #48 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:34:43 pm by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on October 24, 2012, 01:05:24 pm
When I had all that avionics work done, I had them put in a music jack to run an iPad/iPod, etc,,,  That's the port I had it plugged into.  It does not plug directly into the audio panel.  But the music mutes when any activity comes over the radio, or if someone in the plane talks on the intercom. 
No circuit breakers tripped or anything.  No problems anywhere except with the iPad going down. 
It must have been just a coincidence that it crashed, but I did have it plugged in prior to flipping on the master av switch.  I'm was just guessing that it could have been a power surge from that, even though there shouldn't be any power coming through that at all. 

ya i am with you, probably coincidental.