Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pete Carroll

Started by mikeirwin, June 06, 2007, 08:44:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogbert

LA will be perfect for Beck Campbell and her son.

Springdale HS, Class of '76

Hogs-n-Roses

Those numbers of USC's over the last 5 years are glaring. 6 loses in 5 years. 58 wins. I have never been a fan of theirs and am not about to become one but those numbers really messes you up.

cbjagman

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 06, 2007, 08:44:32 pm
The older I get the more I look at teams in terms of the head coach not their players or fans.
The head coach sets the tone for everything.
There is a reason why USC is getting all these great players (more than they need really). It's the head coach.
Here's a story from Beck.
She had been hit from so many directions over the last few months she had started absorb some of the stuff being said about her and her son.
When they got out to LA she had several conversations with Carroll. At one point she made the remark that a lot of coaches apparently believed that Mitch was damaged goods. At least that's what she had been reading.
Carroll stopped her cold.
"Don't you ever think that," he said. "It's not true. We offered him a scholarship for a reason. He's good. Very good."
Carroll went on to explain that Mitch like every other player on that team would have to bust his butt to get better. No one at USC is guaranteed anything. But he told her to never doubt that Mitch is a very gifted QB.
That meant more to her than most of you will ever know. When you and your son have been ripped by people from your own state, media types who have never spoken to you and out of state fans who don't know Arkansas from UALR you start thinking that maybe you are that person.
When the coach of the top program in college football says it ain't so you don't forget that.
Now listen mister! What the heck does Carroll know? After all, how many games and even NCs has he won since he's been at USC? Let's compare his miserable record with the head coach guru of the Arkansas Razorbacks. No comparison! How many Heisman trophy winners has ole Pete had compared to our own brillant Dale? Just as I thought-no contest. All the more proof that MM will be total failure at qb at USC because Pete C. can't develop qbs or judge talent, much less coach them, the way our coaching brain trust can. (yeah, right!!!!!!)

BumpieJohnson

Pete Carroll is a great coach he will be in the NFL next year Pete Carroll that is.

freebridgehog

Why would Beck feel as though SHE needed a vote of confidence for Mitch's ability to make herself feel good???? Goodness, Mitch was a state champion, a Parade all American and POY, 5 star recruit, Dozens of scholarship offers, all SEC freshmen, a 9 game starter as a freshman in the SEC, a scholarship offer from USC etc. Doesn't make a whole lot sense to be concerned unless you are the type of person that needs to hear it over and over to fuel your own ego? As for Mitch, we will all witness whether or not he has "it". Not raw talent but the space between the ears to match the physical talent. It will play out naturally on the field. Pete, having coached in the pros (EGO central), probably understands how to managed better the 5 star players and their entourage. He will find out what makes Mitch (Beck) tick instead of trying to force Mitch to tick like everyone else. That is the difference in a good coach and great one.

TheNuttlessFrontier

QuoteI just don't understand what this is all about. I read most threads on here daily and I don't see Beck constantly attacked. There was a time when that wasn't true, but now?

The only reason you don't see them being attacked on this board anymore is because Mike put a stop to it.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: freebridgehog on June 07, 2007, 04:00:37 pm
  Why would Beck feel as though SHE needed a vote of confidence for Mitch's ability to make herself feel good???? Goodness, Mitch was a state champion, a Parade all American and POY, 5 star recruit, Dozens of scholarship offers, all SEC freshmen, a 9 game starter as a freshman in the SEC, a scholarship offer from USC etc. Doesn't make a whole lot sense to be concerned unless you are the type of person that needs to hear it over and over to fuel your own ego? As for Mitch, we will all witness whether or not he has "it". Not raw talent but the space between the ears to match the physical talent. It will play out naturally on the field. Pete, having coached in the pros (EGO central), probably understands how to managed better the 5 star players and their entourage. He will find out what makes Mitch (Beck) tick instead of trying to force Mitch to tick like everyone else. That is the difference in a good coach and great one.

I guess you haven't paid much attention to the last year or so.  Mitch AND Beck were systematically drug through the mud by HDN, some of the seniors and the media(even ESPN), not to mention by "sis".  Sis was in constant contact, not only with Danny and Houston, but with the players and their families as well, up and through the Capital One Bowl, LONG after the e-mail was known to have been written by her.

If you don't think they were completely ripped apart here, you need to go back and educate yourself a litte.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

freebridgehog

Shavin, honestly I don't know whether to agree or disagree with your post?? You are correct I don't know anything about any programed approach to drag anybody through the mud? Honestly, I don't think HDN is that calculating or smart.  Examining the situation; however, one could play that fiddle with either hand as to whom was trying to bring down whom. My point had nothing to do with any of that really. It has to do with a young man and his mother believing in that young man's ability. If anything I could see if Mitch's confidence has wavered through all this but the mother? I don't buy she needed to be convinced again! The young man has talent EVERYONE knows that. How much will play out on the field. I am not about to feel sorry for mom because she needs a pat on the back! Mitch is a young man who as his field confidence grows could be a mega star but I still ain't feeling sorry for mom! Oh, and I have followed this saga as many on here have. I just choose to have my OWN opinions.

porkurina

You just don't get it do you?

PulledPork

where did skunk go?  shirley, he was not banned, I would like some more of his whiny comments.

Pulled out..

jdlew

he is a good coach........But I also think they are cheating......Big Time......maybe he is not such a great person....l

slopinhogs

i know Mitch is very good and he will get his shot at USC . there will not be a shortage of 5 star recievers to throw to and they all do have routes to run. i hope he wins the Heinsman out there.

wonder if Becks visit with him made the newspapers out there. Hmmmmmmmm :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

THHAWG

I gain respect for Pete Carroll everyday.

Nutt benched a 7-0 quarterback because he thought it was "time to start winning ballgames". 

WhenPigsFly33

"You are the kind of person who had Beck wondering if she should move to China to get away from this stuff.
Thanks for adding to the story."

Maybe he wouldn't feel the need to "add to the story" if you and the rest of Beck's flacks didn't feel the need to constantly rub salt in the wound.

How self-absorbed do you have to be to not expect this kind of jab at the Razorbacks to produce some kind of negative retort?

I hope Mitch and Beck are very happy in Los Angeles and I hope you eventually find something else to obsess over.

...and if you're really concerned about poor Beck you might want to consider finding that somethihng else sooner rather than later.

SpareRib

Quote from: WhenPigsFly33 on June 07, 2007, 06:22:20 pm
"You are the kind of person who had Beck wondering if she should move to China to get away from this stuff.
Thanks for adding to the story."

Maybe he wouldn't feel the need to "add to the story" if you and the rest of Beck's flacks didn't feel the need to constantly rub salt in the wound.

How self-absorbed do you have to be to not expect this kind of jab at the Razorbacks to produce some kind of negative retort?

I hope Mitch and Beck are very happy in Los Angeles and I hope you eventually find something else to obsess over.

...and if you're really concerned about poor Beck you might want to consider finding that somethihng else sooner rather than later.

...and here's a quote directly from your log, "One of the great things about internet message boards is that, given enough time, a poster will show the world (or at least those who are interested enough to read the message board) whether he knows what he's talking about or not.

One of the terrible things about interenet message boards is it frequently doesn't matter to the type of person who posts the vast majority of messages on most message boards whether a poster knows what he's talking about or not.

My prediction is you will once again be shown to be talking out your ass."

You're right, the number of posts are of secondary importance to content.  Your last sentence describes your tantrum beautifully.

Pork Out
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

USCoastGuard

Why are we talking about mitch still...i mean ya i like him but he is no longer a razorback, he is a trojan. let him go! you guys are acting like a bunch of 12 year olds. let mitch go!

This is HOGVILLE.NET...not trojan.net or tulsa.net...its HOGVILLE.NET
Come back over Gus!

SpareRib

Quote from: USCoastGuard on June 07, 2007, 06:46:36 pm
Why are we talking about mitch still...i mean ya i like him but he is no longer a razorback, he is a trojan. let him go! you guys are acting like a bunch of 12 year olds. let mitch go!

You can post about the Hogs any time you choose.  Start a thread.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

freebridgehog

Pork, I believe I get it more than most.  Again, that is MY opinion. This board is full of opinionated folks. It is of your opinion that I don't get it. That's it in a NUTTshell.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on June 06, 2007, 10:30:41 pm
I remember reading a guy's post who absolutly thought Mitch was 100% overrated.  He could not stand Mitch getting the attention.  He was discussing USC's recruiting.

He said a few simple words. 

The only reason Pete Carroll will go outside of the state of California to recruit a kid, is if Pete believes that kid will play on Sundays.  Otherwise, he doesn't waste his time.

I will remember that quote forever. 

Yes.  Pete came after 3 players who he believes will all play on Sundays.  Thats a huge compliment to those players and to this state.  I just wish we had done a better job of locking them up.  That however is a different story.

Mike thanks for sharing that story.  I hope Beck takes it to heart and enjoys watching Mitch play from now on.

You must mean this guy.  You can get some good laughs reading 'ol werehog's history.

Quote from: werehog on December 15, 2006, 09:01:16 am
Pete Carroll would never ever use a scholly on DW. The Trojans are loaded at every position. Pat Turner and Vidal Hazelton will probably be the top two WRs at USC next year unless Dwayne J comes back for his senior year, but that is unlikely.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=101762.msg1435021#msg1435021
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Quote from: freebridgehog on June 07, 2007, 05:34:15 pm
  Shavin, honestly I don't know whether to agree or disagree with your post?? You are correct I don't know anything about any programed approach to drag anybody through the mud? Honestly, I don't think HDN is that calculating or smart.  Examining the situation; however, one could play that fiddle with either hand as to whom was trying to bring down whom. My point had nothing to do with any of that really. It has to do with a young man and his mother believing in that young man's ability. If anything I could see if Mitch's confidence has wavered through all this but the mother? I don't buy she needed to be convinced again! The young man has talent EVERYONE knows that. How much will play out on the field. I am not about to feel sorry for mom because she needs a pat on the back! Mitch is a young man who as his field confidence grows could be a mega star but I still ain't feeling sorry for mom! Oh, and I have followed this saga as many on here have. I just choose to have my OWN opinions.

Fair enough.  One element that Beck was probably getting at was the way the BAC was throwing out to the media that she was starting drama on a weekly basis.  This was documented by a media member.  However, Beck didn't talk to HDN or the BAC until the infamous meeting.  That lie was being thrown out there by someone, most likely Dale or Danny, so that the media would report it and make her look like a meddler.  She is probably extremely relieved that she is going to get a fair shake this time.

I agree with you, Dale is not that smart.  However, he has become an expert at controlling the media by throwing out rumors to get them to like or dislike someone and to make himself look good.  All of this distracts from his bad administration, bad organizational skills and horrible coaching.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

freebridgehog

Shavin,  I cannot disagree at all with your last sentence for sure. MISMANGEMENT would some up my feelings of the saga; however it is what it is for the time being. I am ready for some FOOTBALL can't wait to see DMAC and co. hit that line!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 06, 2007, 08:44:32 pm
The older I get the more I look at teams in terms of the head coach not their players or fans.
The head coach sets the tone for everything.
There is a reason why USC is getting all these great players (more than they need really). It's the head coach.
Here's a story from Beck.
She had been hit from so many directions over the last few months she had started absorb some of the stuff being said about her and her son.
When they got out to LA she had several conversations with Carroll. At one point she made the remark that a lot of coaches apparently believed that Mitch was damaged goods. At least that's what she had been reading.
Carroll stopped her cold.
"Don't you ever think that," he said. "It's not true. We offered him a scholarship for a reason. He's good. Very good."
Carroll went on to explain that Mitch like every other player on that team would have to bust his butt to get better. No one at USC is guaranteed anything. But he told her to never doubt that Mitch is a very gifted QB.
That meant more to her than most of you will ever know. When you and your son have been ripped by people from your own state, media types who have never spoken to you and out of state fans who don't know Arkansas from UALR you start thinking that maybe you are that person.
When the coach of the top program in college football says it ain't so you don't forget that.

Why should he be treated any other way? The things Nutt let happen to Mustain, an 18 yr old boy, is a travesty. Nutt should be fired due to his handling of Mustain if for no other reason. Nutt was unethical at best in hiring Malzahn to get the Springdale players than he ran them off. How Nutt is still the head coach is a sickening thought.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Quote from: freebridgehog on June 07, 2007, 08:55:05 pm
  Shavin,  I cannot disagree at all with your last sentence for sure. MISMANGEMENT would some up my feelings of the saga; however it is what it is for the time being. I am ready for some FOOTBALL can't wait to see DMAC and co. hit that line!

I respect and understand your stance.  But I can't cheer for a team whose head coach acts this way.  He needs to go and if we are successful I am convinced he will remain.

carabear

I hope Mitch does well at USC

Fourhogs

Quote from: The Marmot on June 07, 2007, 09:47:26 am
Quote from: BartIV on June 07, 2007, 09:45:23 am
Quote from: The Marmot on June 07, 2007, 09:41:52 am
Quote from: MsNuttsandBolts on June 07, 2007, 09:36:58 am
Thanks for the update Mike. I hope that Beck and Mitch can move on from this fiasco. I cant imagine having to sit back and listen to so many talk about my son the way some people have talked about Mitch. How could she keep from getting involved? She is his mother. I can only ponder how she must have felt when she learned of the TP email, especially after she knew that TP is a close personal friend of the Nutts. I hope Mitch helps to lead USC all the way to the top. It would serve the U of A right for allowing all this to happen. I would love for the Razorbacks to win it all as well, but.........if it came down to the national championship game, us against USC and Mitch was the starting quarterback for them,,,,,,,,I'm afraid I would be cheering for the team out west.

Well NuttsandBolts, I just lost a little respect for ya. You showed some true colors with that statement. I think what has happened, and is still happening to a degree, here at our program stinks to high heaven... and I hope Mitch, Damian and Gus succeed where they are... but I'll be hard-pressed to ever cheer for USC... and would NEVER cheer against the Razorbacks.

I would never cheer against the Razorbacks, but if Damien, Mitch, or B. Green see playing time at USC, I will be watching and rooting for them.
If Tulsa was ever on TV, I would watch just to catch a Gus Malzahn run offense.
Its all about the Arkansas connection.
Ex. The only reason I watch the Jacksonville Jags is for Matt Jones or Derek Fisher who didn't go to Arkansas.

I would also watch their games as long as they weren't on when the Hogs are playing. But I would NEVER cheer for Tulsa or USC if they played us... EVER.

Even if your son was the starting QB for the opposition?  I gotta think you would then.  Never say never.

The Marmot

Quote from: Fourhogs on June 08, 2007, 07:27:52 am
Quote from: The Marmot on June 07, 2007, 09:47:26 am
Quote from: BartIV on June 07, 2007, 09:45:23 am
Quote from: The Marmot on June 07, 2007, 09:41:52 am
Quote from: MsNuttsandBolts on June 07, 2007, 09:36:58 am
Thanks for the update Mike. I hope that Beck and Mitch can move on from this fiasco. I cant imagine having to sit back and listen to so many talk about my son the way some people have talked about Mitch. How could she keep from getting involved? She is his mother. I can only ponder how she must have felt when she learned of the TP email, especially after she knew that TP is a close personal friend of the Nutts. I hope Mitch helps to lead USC all the way to the top. It would serve the U of A right for allowing all this to happen. I would love for the Razorbacks to win it all as well, but.........if it came down to the national championship game, us against USC and Mitch was the starting quarterback for them,,,,,,,,I'm afraid I would be cheering for the team out west.

Well NuttsandBolts, I just lost a little respect for ya. You showed some true colors with that statement. I think what has happened, and is still happening to a degree, here at our program stinks to high heaven... and I hope Mitch, Damian and Gus succeed where they are... but I'll be hard-pressed to ever cheer for USC... and would NEVER cheer against the Razorbacks.

I would never cheer against the Razorbacks, but if Damien, Mitch, or B. Green see playing time at USC, I will be watching and rooting for them.
If Tulsa was ever on TV, I would watch just to catch a Gus Malzahn run offense.
Its all about the Arkansas connection.
Ex. The only reason I watch the Jacksonville Jags is for Matt Jones or Derek Fisher who didn't go to Arkansas.

I would also watch their games as long as they weren't on when the Hogs are playing. But I would NEVER cheer for Tulsa or USC if they played us... EVER.

Even if your son was the starting QB for the opposition?  I gotta think you would then.  Never say never.

OK, if my kid started for them, then yes, that is the one situation where I would cheer for another team. However, Mitch is not MsNuttsandBolts kid, and she says she would cheer for USC over Arkansas if they played right now, and that shows me she has more support for Mitch and his team than for the Hogs right now.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Nashville Fan

And people think HDN is a great motivator. PC is a real motivator

MM would run in to a burning building for that man before this is all over. Great talent and the coaching ability to mold it, USC knows how to build a perennial powerhouse.
Pittman or Bust!

HOGansHero

Quote from: USCoastGuard on June 07, 2007, 06:46:36 pm

Good point...I pull for the Razorbacks! Go HOGS!  Basically, I hate USC, Texas, Tennessee, Bummer, Allbarn, Florida, - well I am a HOG fan!

Justme

I pull for Arkansas kids wherever they're playing. 

rocksalt

Quote from: Justme on June 08, 2007, 09:48:57 am
I pull for Arkansas kids wherever they're playing. 

I agree.  Arkansas kids doing good wherever they go is an inspiration to the ones still trying to get somewhere.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

DSMSHog

Who cares.

Lets all say at once, "aaahhhhh Pete, your such a nice guy" "thanks for piling it on at the end there"

DeltaBoy

Thanks Mike

"USC while they were pummeling us 70-17 and 50-14." 

We can all thank Frank I gonna protect my legacy Broyles for those scores.

Like Jimmy Johnson, Pete proved he was good enough to have come to the UA and won a NC here.

Pete class   Nutt no class.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

freebridgehog

I will probably get steamrolled for this comment, but I think JFB has one more bullet in his gun! A silver one that is meant for one person only. Do not underestimate Frank's intuitive ability to know when a coach should go. I think HDN will leave or be asked to leave after this season regardless. The pressure on him and the admins is too great. Shavin don't let all this CRAP spoil your passion for the HOGS! Those 18-22 year olds need us to root for them will all our Razorback passion. Because Razorbacks are NOT quitters!  If we all believe those kids are leaderless then how are we helping them by not supporting the RAZORBACKS! I look at it like this if I pass up an opportunity to root for DMAC, PH, CD, FJ, MM and company then that is my loss in spite of the coach. If those boys can play with all their hearts win or lose I certainly will take my own boys to the game and root for them. If they can win in spite of the HC then wow they deserve all the credit in the world! Go Hogs!