Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BIG XII vs SEC

Started by BUCCANEER FAN, June 06, 2007, 02:15:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If a invite to the big 12 was handed to you, what conference would you be in?

BIG XII
77 (24.9%)
SEC
232 (75.1%)

Total Members Voted: 293

jj202020

Yeah...except the big 12 has baylor, colorado, kansas, missouri, iowa st, and ok st. 

sec has vandy and kentucky

razorbass

I can't believe people would want to take a step down to the Big XII :-\

TOMMY DAWG 55

June 08, 2007, 11:00:03 pm #102 Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:08:04 pm by TOMMY DAWG 55
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on June 08, 2007, 10:40:24 am
Quote from: TOMMY DAWG 55 on June 07, 2007, 09:45:14 pm
Quote from: Lhs on June 07, 2007, 09:26:24 pm
Quote from: TOMMY DAWG 55 on June 07, 2007, 05:53:34 pm
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on June 07, 2007, 05:44:23 pm
IF the SEC wasnt a step up we never would have left the SWC and those remaining teams wouldnt have joined the Big 8. The Big 12 owes its existence to the University of Arkansas. SEC ALL THE WAY!! No question

Really? That is very interesting, if memory serves, an invite to the Big XII was given way before the SEC invite. The Big XII commission had intentions of taking arkansas and most of the winning programs in the SWC. Arkansas interest changed when the SEC gave arkansas an invite and arkansas excepted the SEC. I don't seem to get why the Big XII owes anything to the U of A, they were going to take arkansas anyway. :razorback:
I may be wrong, but didn't Arkansas go to the SEC BEFORE the Big 12 was formed?  The first year of the Big 12 was 1996.

Yes arkansas did, Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992 (1 1/2 waiting period for the sec schedule),but arkansas got the Big XII invite first in 1990 and turned it down. I found out that the Big XII commission took a bit of time to find the swc teams they wanted in the big XII because there were a few to choose from and of course after the waiting period of around 2 years for the Big XII schedule for the new teams until 1996. :razorback:  

The BIG XII wasnt formed until Arkansas went to the SEC. Arkansas leaving the SWC lead to SWC being dissolved and some teams joined the BIG EIGHT while others went elsewhere, thus creating the BIG XII. SO it is impossible for the Razorbacks to have recieved an invite to join the Big XII before the SEC, the Big EIGHT maybe, but not the big XII

I stand corrected, i mean't the big 8 of course im used to having to say the Big XII on everything, so its an honest mistake.
Yes arkansas joined the SEC in 1992 before the BIG XII was formed in 1996.So the Big 8 invite to join the Big XII was sent first to broyles then the SEC invite later.Thanks for correcting that DemonHog. :razorback: 

NWASooner

I like how Arkansas fans totally discount Colorado.  Never mind that in the past 20 years, they have a national title, a Heisman winner, and a BCS appearance recently.

What does Arkansas have in that time span that Colorado doesn't?

TOMMY DAWG 55

June 08, 2007, 11:32:47 pm #104 Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 07:12:49 pm by TOMMY DAWG 55
Interesting :razorback:

TOMMY DAWG 55

Quote from: darth sooie on June 08, 2007, 12:13:46 pm
Big 12 dismiss Colorado??? that would never, ever happen.  Also Colorado is a fine geographic fit with the big 12, look at a map and driving distances.  There has been a rumor that Colorado might join the Pac 10 but that is somewhat of a geographic misfit + you got the pain of driving through the mountains. I would guess if Colorado ever left for the Pac 10, the big 12 would probably offer Colorado State to keep the market and poff Ucolorado.  Another thing is i think the big 12 should flip Oklahoma and Kansas State so you would have more balanced divisions:

North
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Iowa State

South
Texas
Tex A&M
Texas Tech
Baylor
Okla State
Kansas State

The Big XII wouldn't allow Kansas State to be in the Southern Division or Oklahoma in the North, its where the states of the universities are located is why they get the spots in the divisions.If Colorado was dismissed from the Big XII then until a replacment university was added to the North Division(outside the Big XII), there would be a united 11 team conference, all playing out right for the Big XII championship. :razorback:   

darth sooie

Well, i think the big 12 would be much better off with that switch, thus you could get a Texas-Oklahoma football title game and the overall divisions would be more balanced. Yet,  they would have to use the format the sec use to use, 2 perm 1 rotating for the non division games so Oklahoma could play Texas and Ok state every year. As for geographic location of the school's, there is no law that they have to square, heck the dallas cowboys are in the NFC east + i remember when the Atlanta Falcons where in the NFC West, so OU could be in the north and kansas state in the south. As for the idea of the big 12 kicking out Colorado, that is like saying the SEC is gonna kick out Georgia, never gonna happen.

TOMMY DAWG 55

June 09, 2007, 11:08:37 pm #107 Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:17:08 pm by TOMMY DAWG 55
Excellent Post, I would love to see Oklahoma and K-State in different divisions myself, it would balance each division with a stronger presence, and would make a better match up in the Conference Championship. Yes i agree on Colorado, I don't think the program will be leaving the Big XII anytime soon. I would expect the Pac-10 to go after Utah or Boise State before prosueing Colorado, because those states border the Pac-10 Conference. :razorback: 

HAWG FAN 55

SEC baseball is doing good this year, MSU for one, in the college world series and maybe more sec teams to add. :razorback:

Big XII, OSU doing good, didn't see if they got in the CWS or not.Anyone know? 

demonHOG1013

Quote from: NWASooner on June 08, 2007, 11:02:07 pm
I like how Arkansas fans totally discount Colorado.  Never mind that in the past 20 years, they have a national title, a Heisman winner, and a BCS appearance recently.

What does Arkansas have in that time span that Colorado doesn't?

Houston Nutt

HAWG FAN 55

Quote from: TOMMY DAWG 55 on June 09, 2007, 11:08:37 pm
Excellent Post, I would love to see Oklahoma and K-State in different divisions myself, it would balance each division with a stronger presence, and would make a better match up in the Conference Championship. Yes i agree on Colorado, I don't think the program will be leaving the Big XII anytime soon. I would expect the Pac-10 to go after Utah or Boise State before prosueing Colorado, because those states border the Pac-10 Conference. :razorback:
-----------------
Hey bro, who did you vote for? I voted for SEC  :razorback:

demonHOG1013

Theres no way to know if the other teams in the SWC would have went to the Big 8 had Arkansas not left the conf. But it is for sure that Arkansas chose the SEC over the SWC or anyother conf. which led to the downfall of the SWC. IF UofA hadnt left it very well may have been intact today. There's no way Arkansas leaves the SEC.

TOMMY DAWG 55

Quote from: HAWG FAN 55 on June 10, 2007, 12:10:12 pm
-----------------

Quote from: HAWG FAN 55 on June 10, 2007, 12:10:12 pm
-----------------

Hey man, i don't know yet, i like both conferences, i really don't see any mismatches when it comes to arkansas being involved, arkansas lost bowl games to the Big XII before and have in the SEC too, so i probably would vote for both.

HAWG FAN 55

Fair enough bro  ;D

You see who won the South Carolina/North Carolina SR game?

Oh did OSU win yesterday? I didn't get to see past the 2nd inning?

CORZRBACKFAN

When the Big 8 merged with the four SWC teams, Colorado and Texas were given open invitations to go to the Pac 10. Obviously, Texas did not fit in. Colorado does. Being a Colorado alum, it makes me laugh when people bring up the idea of leaving the SEC for the Big XII. Like many Colorado fans, I could care less about the Big XII. We view the Pac 10 as a better place for recruiting and fanbase reasons, and are sick of the Texas schools pushing their BS on the rest of the conference.  Sound familiar? With the exception of Boulder, Austin, Columbia, and Lawrence, the towns of the Big XII are worthless. Basically, the UA be giving up athletic prestige to "Fit in" better geographically, and would trade playing schools with the best fans and best stadiums in America for trips to lovely locales such as Waco, Ames, Lincoln, College Station, Manhattan, Lubbock, Norman, and Stillwater. Closer? Sure. Nicer? Not a chance in hell. Isn't Starkville really the only SEC town that has nothing going for it? I consider myself very fortunate to be able to come home to Fayetteville and see my Hogs compete in the best conference in the land, and I will loathe the new AD if he ever moved Arkansas to the incohesive and overrated Big XII!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett