Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HDN Supporter---send me your questions

Started by PlaygroundLegend, June 05, 2007, 01:14:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PlaygroundLegend

Actually, no, but I knew that would get some attention. I hate labels, but if forced upon me, I would probably be labeled a supporter. I will gladly take any questions and attempt to explain why I feel the way I do. Only serious questions, please. I don't live on this board, but will check this thread periodically and answer in due time each question deemed to be sincere, I promise. I don't expect to change a lot of minds, maybe a few, and am not really attempting to do that. It's just an attempt for one fan to logically explain their rationale.
   First, a few of the most common questions.

Q) Did HDN deserve a 'two-year pass'?
A) It was ok by me. I know the NCAA investigation had an effect on recruiting. The debatable part is how much. JFB himself had several lean years in the 70s. I think it was the fair thing to do at the time.
   q) Do other coaches deserve a 'pass'?
   a) Sure. Stan Heath got one, his first two years. No one had any expectations at all then. The pressure picked up in year 3.
   q) What about John Pelphrey?
   a) He won't get one this year. The talent is there to compete at a higher level. If he has a good year this year and meets most reasonable expectations for this team, then yes, he will get time to rebuild. Circumstances dictate that(loss of seven players)

Q) Was the Gus Malzahn thing handled well?
A) I rarely think it's a good idea for JFB to meddle by telling his coaches who to hire and fire. The results are fairly predictable.
Q) Why?
A) I think the head coach should be allowed to run his program as he sees fit and if the AD isn't pleased with the results, then make a change. But don't micromanage...by the way, I'm a big JFB fan. I don't particularly care for his habit of tinkering with assistant coaches, though. Malzahn was a forced 'hire'(as o-coordinator, that is). In the short term, it was great; long term, look what happened
Q) Was Malzahn necessary?
A) I thought Gus brought some nifty innovations. I thought the offense needed some tweaks in certain situations, not a complete overhaul. For example, I thought we were lacking in certain key short yardage situations in 2005(Ex. S Carolina, Vandy) 
   Q) Do you have animosity towards any of the Springdale gang?
   A) No. All parties, at least publicly, have conducted themselves in a professional manner(Malzahn, Nutt, etc)
   Q) What about players?
   Q) It's probably for the best that MM and DW transfer. No animosity towards them at all, they've been cool. They were really only here because Malzahn came anyway.
   Q) What about parents?
   Q) I have big problems with parental over-involvement with their kids, particularly in sports. This is a much bigger problem than just the Arkansas situation.

Q) What about MM's mother?
A) Way too involved. There are proper and improper ways to go about things. An example is when Alex Mortenson was benched just after being told he was going to start the Georgia game in 2005. Chris Mortenson, being a supportive parent, had some concerns. So, Nutt and staff showed some practice film and relayed their concerns that maybe Alex wasn't ready yet after all. I'm sure no one in the Mortenson home was happy, but they understood the rationale behind the decision, at least. In the end, Alex transferred because he felt he would get to play more elsewhere. The point is, they handled their concerns in a professional and discrete way...unlike anything that's happened lately.

Q) Did MM get treated fairly?
A) Yes, otherwise he wouldn't have started his second collegiate game, and eight total. I thought he did a very good job for a frosh. All those Springdale guys saw the field quite a bit.

Q) Do you think HDN told T Prewett to send that e-mail?
A) No
   a) What about the phone calls?
   b) I think Prewett obviously has ties to the Nutts, particularly Danny, and is a strong supporter of the Nutts. This was her own very misguided attempt to show it. Anyone who would type that and hit 'send' needs some help.

Q) What about the e-mail investigation?
A) It's ridiculous. There shouldn't even be an 'investigation'. MM is not the first person to receive a crankpot phone call or e-mail, and won't be the last. Reggie Fish received things like that, and no one is complaing, filing lawsuits, or trying to 'protect' him. And nobody should, he can stand on his own two feet.
   q) So what is the solution?
   a) Hit DELETE or HANG UP the phone
   q) That's all?
   a) The bigger question to me is how people know athletes' e-mail addresses and phone numbers, but that appears to be something that's not terribly secretive so I'm not sure what a good solution is to this. It's not a real problem anyway, it's always been there as a possibility.

Q) Do you think HDN had an affair with Donna Bragg?
A) No, but it doesn't pass the smell test. I don't think anything improper happened, but the perception is bad no matter how you look at it. But Diana Nutt doesn't seem too(publicly) concerned about it, so that's good enough for me. HDN can't go anywhere without somebody knowing it, so I would suspect a credible 'smoking gun' would have emerged by now if this really happened.

Q) Are you concerned about recruiting? What about Ziemba, Burns, Green...low rankings
A) I want all instate kids to go to UA. You have to look at the circumstances behind each case and determine if there is a persistent problem. Lee Ziemba was going to Auburn; I never expected him to come here. His entire family are Auburn people. Why would he go to UA? Only when Ark thumped Aub and started having a strong season did Ziemba start having second thoughts. Of Mustain, Burns, and Mallett, UA wasn't going to get all three. MM committed first, KB and RM started looking elsewhere. KB had a chance to change his mind, but it was very late in the game. Green is the one of those three(Ziemba,Burns, Green) that 'got away', evidently because the coaches envisioned him more as a fullback, H-back than a tailback...looking at the early returns from this year's class, the instate recruiting seems to be going well(so far). Cruz Williams, Matt Hall, the Camden QB. Time will tell, though.

Rankings: I don't anticipate Ark to ever be ranked very high in football recruiting. This state doesn't have the numbers that LA, Tex, FL, and GA have, for example. I don't feel that's admitting defeat but rather acknowledging reality. There is a difference.

Q) Are you pleased with the 2006 season?
A) Yes, very. No one had Arkansas winning 10 games preseason.
   Q) Even how it ended?
   A) I was disappointed in the Wisconsin game, thought that was a 'tossup'.
   Q) What about the passing game?
   A) It can be better, it was good at times. We also need a better FG kicker. These games are too close to be lacking there.
   Q) Do you expect 10 wins again?
   A) Wow, that's tough. Maybe, it's possible. I think 8 is a good number to expect, with 9 very possible and 10 or 11 possible. Of course, injuries to McFadden, Jones, C Dick, or Monk would hurt.

Q) So you have low expectations for Ark football?
A) No, not at all. I have expectations. But to say Ark is on the same playing field with Florida, Texas, or LSU is crazy. Football is nothing but a numbers game; you have to have good players, and lots of them, and those states produce plenty of them. That doesn't mean that Ark can't have a great year.

Q) 'I called that play, brutha'. What about that?
A) That was a joke. The week leading up to the game, there was a lot of the usual chatter about playcalling, etc. Nutt's response was an attempt at humor in reference to that. I happened to be listening to the postgame; when hearing that, I laughed because I knew what the context was. Nutt laughed. Chuck Barrett laughed. Basically, it was a victorious locker room and people were enjoying it. I thought nothing more about it and am quite amazed at the legs that incident has grown.

Q) What about the future?
A) UA should be good this year. After that, who knows? After losing McFadden and others, there will be a dropoff. I don't know if Nutt would survive or want to survive. I said prior to last season that camps and opinions have been formed, and they probably won't change, which is very unfortunate. And a lot has happened since then. A head coach loses some fans every year that he's at a job anyway, it's natural attrition.

Q) So are you a hard core HDN supporter?
A) No. I hate labels. I look at it more from the big picture. I support the person in the job as much as the person. As Roosevelt said, 'Credit goes to the man in the ring'. The application in a coaching context is that there are a lot of criticisms that are unwarranted and unfounded. It's not a job I would want even for the money they make.

Q) So why does HDN attract so much attention?
A) I think his mannerisms have something to do with that. He's excitable on the sidelines, some like a more low-key persona. The same things that opposing teams' fans notice. Some don't like the conducting of the band. It's all harmless to me, I don't think much about it either way, it's just his personality. Some also see him as too much of a salesman, so the same traits that make him a good locker room motivator hurt him in that regard.

dacskc

Good summary, I'm from the "other side". Every time I attempt to ask a "why" question I get blasted, so thanks for the insight. BTW, could you expand on something. You said you didn't believe HDN had anything to do with TP's emails. How do explain the increased activity of their correspondence at the time of both emails? To me, if it happens once, it's a coincidence...twice...not so much. I still think the email is what they talked about, not the impending death in the family. (you'd have to believe that talking about sad situations compelled her to send them...which is just well, ...weird)

Choctaw Hog

Are you the self appointed "Dear Abby" of Hogville?

Conway Cool Daddy

June 05, 2007, 01:28:42 pm #3 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 01:30:45 pm by Conway Cool Daddy
Why is Teresa Pruitt still allowed on campus?
Why is Houston still taking cheap shots at Mitch?
Why was David Lee hired? Why pay him 300K?
Why does Houston have a horrible Bowl record?
Why did recruits not know who was recruiting them from the UA?
Why did Houston text D Bragg 1000 times but not Burns or Ziemba?
Why are James Shibest, Chris Vaughn, Bobby Allen, and Clifton Ealy still coaching at the UA?
Why did Stan get fired for lack of success and not Nutt? ( See Broyles comments in Sunday's ADG)
Why are people impressed with a season in which we won only 71% of our games?
???

The Marmot

Do you know FOR A FACT that Reggie Fish, or RoJo for that matter, received hate mail? If so, do you know FOR A FACT how they handled it?
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Simple Swineman

That big, long summary is nice and all, but you didn't address my biggest problem with HDN...

Q) Do you think Houston Nutt is a good football coach?

hogsailor

dude, you have way too much time on your hands...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

Juboar

1.   Who are you?
2.  Is Sam Olubutu a mind reader?
3.  How was Nutt handling the Email he knew nothing about?
4.  Did Nutt lie to White about his relationship with TP or did White lie to us?
5.  Does Lindsey Construction bid on Foundation projects?
6.  Why wasn't the apology letter sent immediately to MM?
7.  When Diane refers to the "haters to the north" - who is she referring to?
8.  When Nutt refers to himself as a winner- what does that mean?

I thought of these in a matter of minutes and look forward to the answers.
Thanks.

TheNuttlessFrontier

QuoteI want all instate kids to go to UA. You have to look at the circumstances behind each case and determine if there is a persistent problem. Lee Ziemba was going to Auburn; I never expected him to come here. His entire family are Auburn people. Why would he go to UA? Only when Ark thumped Aub and started having a strong season did Ziemba start having second thoughts. Of Mustain, Burns, and Mallett, UA wasn't going to get all three. MM committed first, KB and RM started looking elsewhere. KB had a chance to change his mind, but it was very late in the game. Green is the one of those three(Ziemba,Burns, Green) that 'got away', evidently because the coaches envisioned him more as a fullback, H-back than a tailback...looking at the early returns from this year's class, the instate recruiting seems to be going well(so far). Cruz Williams, Matt Hall, the Camden QB. Time will tell, though.

1. Will you please provide me with links or some source of "inside information" that says we never had a shot at L.Ziemba?

2. Will you provide me me with something more concrete other than your opinion as to why the UA wasn't going to be able to get the signatures of Burns and Mallet in addition to Mustain?

3. If you think your reason for B.Green leaving AR is truly the reason then either:
       a.  You haven't heard his side of the story
       b.  You need to remove the blinders

TOM "tbw1"

) What about MM's mother?
A) Way too involved. There are proper and improper ways to go about things. An example is when Alex Mortenson was benched just after being told he was going to start the Georgia game in 2005. Chris Mortenson, being a supportive parent, had some concerns. So, Nutt and staff showed some practice film and relayed their concerns that maybe Alex wasn't ready yet after all. I'm sure no one in the Mortenson home was happy, but they understood the rationale behind the decision, at least. In the end, Alex transferred because he felt he would get to play more elsewhere. The point is, they handled their concerns in a professional and discrete way...unlike anything that's happened lately.

Please document how Ms. Campbell was too involved.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: PlaygroundLegend on June 05, 2007, 01:14:48 pm

Q) 'I called that play, brutha'. What about that?
A) That was a joke. The week leading up to the game, there was a lot of the usual chatter about playcalling, etc. Nutt's response was an attempt at humor in reference to that. I happened to be listening to the postgame; when hearing that, I laughed because I knew what the context was. Nutt laughed. Chuck Barrett laughed. Basically, it was a victorious locker room and people were enjoying it. I thought nothing more about it and am quite amazed at the legs that incident has grown.

so its okay that he took potshots at the fans instead of telling the truth and giving Casey and Monk credit for making the play happen.

yep, you're a dyed in the wool nuttbag lover.

HogNuttz

If you could clear a few things up, that would be great.

1) Where is Jimmy Hoffa's body?
2) Who really took the Lindburg baby?
3) Where is Amelia Earhart and her plane?
4) Was there a shooter on the grassy knoll?
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

TOM "tbw1"

Q) What about the e-mail investigation?
A) It's ridiculous. There shouldn't even be an 'investigation'. MM is not the first person to receive a crankpot phone call or e-mail, and won't be the last. Reggie Fish received things like that, and no one is complaing, filing lawsuits, or trying to 'protect' him. And nobody should, he can stand on his own two feet.
   q) So what is the solution?
   a) Hit DELETE or HANG UP the phone
   q) That's all?
   a) The bigger question to me is how people know athletes' e-mail addresses and phone numbers, but that appears to be something that's not terribly secretive so I'm not sure what a good solution is to this. It's not a real problem anyway, it's always been there as a possibility.

What emails did Reggie Fish receive that came from someone close to the Head Coach's family?  Were these emails forwarded to the coach's wives?

If that is true then something really needs to be done.  NOW!
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

PlaygroundLegend

Some really good questions. I see a few that are not good, but a lot of good ones too.

I promise I'll get to these later when I have more time to go through each one. L8R

LJHOG

June 05, 2007, 02:23:04 pm #14 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 02:25:14 pm by LJHOG
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on June 05, 2007, 01:28:42 pm
Why is Teresa Pruitt still allowed on campus?  Why not?  Anyone can go on campus.
Why is Houston still taking cheap shots at Mitch?  document one please
Why was David Lee hired? Why pay him 300K? to improve QB play (he had worked with MM)  thats what it took
Why does Houston have a horrible Bowl record?  we generally play better teams
Why did recruits not know who was recruiting them from the UA?  who said they don't
Why did Houston text D Bragg 1000 times but not Burns or Ziemba? don't know
Why are James Shibest, Chris Vaughn, Bobby Allen, and Clifton Ealy still coaching at the UA?HC wants them there
Why did Stan get fired for lack of success and not Nutt? ( See Broyles comments in Sunday's ADG) attendance down
Why are people impressed with a season in which we won only 71% of our games?10 aint bad, and better than expected
???

hogtusk

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?  :)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

hogtusk

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
:)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: LJHOG on June 05, 2007, 02:23:04 pm
Why is Teresa Pruitt still allowed on campus?  Why not?  Anyone can go on campus.
Why was David Lee hired? Why pay him 300K? to improve QB play (he had worked with MM)  thats what it took
Why did recruits not know who was recruiting them from the UA?  who said they don't
Why are James Shibest, Chris Vaughn, Bobby Allen, and Clifton Ealy still coaching at the UA?HC wants them there
Why did Stan get fired for lack of success and not Nutt? ( See Broyles comments in Sunday's ADG) attendance down
Why are people impressed with a season in which we won only 71% of our games?10 aint bad, and better than expected
???

your excuse for the bowl games was awful

We were taken to the woodshed by a very very mediocre Minnesota team and we all know what a great football tradition UNLV has too.

LSUFan

How does it feel being Florida's B!tch?

kitshicker

I'm from the other side of the fence than you, but I have to admit that you did a good job of answering some questions (the best that you could, at least.) I don't agree with some of them, but I respect your opinion. Your conclusions are well thought out and reasonable, for the most part anyway.

+1

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: LJHOG on June 05, 2007, 02:23:04 pm
???

"I love the ones that we got, and they wanted to be here," Nutt said. "They don't have the ink, they don't have the Parade behind them, but they've got a lot of good heart and want-to to be a Razorback. " You want the ones that want to be here. "

If you don't think that is a shot then you are blind.

Not everyone is allowed on campus, especially ones that threaten or harass students
David Lee would work for half of that. Wait and see what he gets paid at his next job when he gets fired here.
TRG documented the recruits who didn't know who was recruiting them during the season.
Broyles said Stan was fired because he couldn't win NCAA tourney games. Is he lying?
EVERYONE plays better teams in bowl games.
I expected 9-10 wins, are your expectations so low that you brag about winning only 70% of your games?

TheNuttlessFrontier

QuoteSome really good questions. I see a few that are not good, but a lot of good ones too.

Just for clarification, which ones are "not good" and why?

ghg1

Why did 30+ campus recruiting visits go unused last season?

How many hours a week do HDN and his 'boys' play basketball?

Does he still shower in his underwear like he did at Central High?

hoginator

Quote from: ghg1 on June 05, 2007, 03:04:17 pm

Does he still shower in his underwear like he did at Central High?
TMI
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

kimjongsqUeAl

June 05, 2007, 03:11:40 pm #24 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:14:31 pm by hawgacyde
Why is Teresa Pruitt still allowed on campus?probably because she gives money to razorback foundation
Why is Houston still taking cheap shots at Mitch?because HDN is a weirdo
Why was David Lee hired? Why pay him 300K? because he is HDN's good buddy dude!
Why does Houston have a horrible Bowl record?because HDN sux in the post season. he can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack
Why did recruits not know who was recruiting them from the UA?because HDN was at the holiday inn express at the time. duh!
Why did Houston text D Bragg 1000 times but not Burns or Ziemba?because HDn has unlimited text messaging on his wireless plan payed for by you and me. a hell of a deal so why not take advantage of it! plus that chick is kinda hot too! (sarcasm alert)
Why are James Shibest, Chris Vaughn, Bobby Allen, and Clifton Ealy still coaching at the UA?because them's hooten's good ol' boys' man! you actually think people should be held responsible for there actions?  whats wrong with you?!
Why did Stan get fired for lack of success and not Nutt? ( See Broyles comments in Sunday's ADG)because in football its ok to have back-to-back losing seasons! derrrrr! besides, wasn't it franky boy that said that we could never get a top notch coach to come to AR anyway (football that is)?  according to frankins, firing nutt would be unacceptable and couldn't get a better coach anyway.
Why are people impressed with a season in which we won only 71% of our games?this is sooo obvious that it is killing me to even type these words.  we (as a whole)are ok with mediocrity.  winning 10 games is SOOO frickin amazing to some folks that they are willing to hold HDN to legendary, godlike status for achieving this impossible feat.  and also to some winning 11 or more games a year is so outragious and mind blowingthat wnning 10 games will suffice.  and losing the last 3 doesn't matter as long as we are SEC West champs.  Thanx, Hawgacyde
???

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: HogNuttz on June 05, 2007, 01:48:39 pm
If you could clear a few things up, that would be great.

1) Where is Jimmy Hoffa's body?
2) Who really took the Lindburg baby?
3) Where is Amelia Earhart and her plane?
4) Was there a shooter on the grassy knoll?

And, if everyone's knees bent the other way, what would a chair look like?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

BigDeal

These are very good explanations from an obvious insider. Additionally, as stated; he doesn't appear to be biased one way or the other. Some make not like the answers, but they all make sense, you will have to admit.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: BigDeal on June 05, 2007, 03:26:15 pm
These are very good explanations from an obvious insider. Additionally, as stated; he doesn't appear to be biased one way or the other. Some make not like the answers, but they all make sense, you will have to admit.

Whether they make sense or not depends on your perspective and opinion, not facts.

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

aloha_kid

Q) Did HDN deserve a 'two-year pass'?
A) It was ok by me. I know the NCAA investigation had an effect on recruiting. The debatable part is how much. JFB himself had several lean years in the 70s. I think it was the fair thing to do at the time.
   q) Do other coaches deserve a 'pass'?
   a) Sure. Stan Heath got one, his first two years. No one had any expectations at all then. The pressure picked up in year 3.

Stan heath took over the basketball program under a tremendous negative atmosphere.  The cupboard was sparse to say the least and he lost the incoming class.  Stan got jobbed

ghg1

When is Lady Di going to apologize for forwarding that e-mail with comment?

You know, as ponder this whole thing now, it seems to me that had she not taken that one little action, we likely would have never known anything about all of this.  So thanks, Diana, for helping to expose just how petty your husband is. 

RebelliousHog

My questions, and I mean these in the nicest way.

Q. Who made you the answer man?

Q. Is BigDeal REALLY that clueless?

Q. Does a person who accepts no responsibility for a loss REALLY need to be the HC?

Q. Is HogNation going to hell in a handbasket?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

jhogfan554

PlayGround did a good job of trying to give a perspective to the questions that get beat to death on here. You may not agree with his answers and that's OK, but at least he tried to give some answers/opinions and did so without attacking anyone else or their opinions, which is something not seen very often on here.

TulsaHogFan

How exactly was MM mother involved?  What exactly did she do to be "too" involved?

What actions, quotes, appearances, do you use to substantiate your claim that she was too involved?

I actually know his mother and had the chance to observe her while attending several open practices.  I never saw her involved any more that myself.  In fact i might have been more involved than she was as i was interviewing coaches last year, while she sat quietly waiting for Mitchell to finish.

I have never seen a single ounce of proof of her involvement during the season.  Once finished, of course she asked to sit in on a meeting with Broyles which was requested by another parent.  Thats it.  Thats her involvement.  Yet it was too much?

Damn i would LOVE to have seen your opinion of Matt Jones' father during the season especially since the practices were open and he was at every single one. 

So please explain to me, how she was way too involved.

jhogfan554

Just throwing my opinion in -I don't think being at practice, even if it is every day is too involved at all. I do think the meeting with Broyles was certainly ill timed, and perhaps ill conceived, and I mean that for all of the parents. I played 4 years of college ball and we had guys on our team that at times were not happy about one thing or another to some degree, usually playing time or postion, or touches. If you feel that way you go to the coach, you work your butt off in practice, you make sure the film show you are doing it right every chance you get, even if your reps are limited. Never did I see a parents meeting with the AD. If you are a parent and you feel you have to get something off your chest I  think you try to go to the coach first, and you go after the season if over (after the bowl game in our case). I think that is the time of the year when you can talk about direction and plans for next year. If it is about some aspect of student life that you do not hold the coach responsbile for, then this would not apply and you could go whenever you felt the need.

hogtheznutts

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on June 05, 2007, 05:17:40 pm
How exactly was MM mother involved?  What exactly did she do to be "too" involved?

What actions, quotes, appearances, do you use to substantiate your claim that she was too involved?

I actually know his mother and had the chance to observe her while attending several open practices.  I never saw her involved any more that myself.  In fact i might have been more involved than she was as i was interviewing coaches last year, while she sat quietly waiting for Mitchell to finish.

I have never seen a single ounce of proof of her involvement during the season.  Once finished, of course she asked to sit in on a meeting with Broyles which was requested by another parent.  Thats it.  Thats her involvement.  Yet it was too much?

Damn i would LOVE to have seen your opinion of Matt Jones' father during the season especially since the practices were open and he was at every single one. 

Come on Tulsa, anytime a parent or parents go to an AD to discuss football then they're to involved?   You can say whatever you want and I'm not going to go look it up but when she has to be quoted saying that I agree HDN can run the offense he chooses, then you got a major mom problem.   How did the shoe leak that came out come to pass?  Why did we have to get an article saying that UA actually spent $5,000+ to get that corrected. what about that MM wanted his highschool shoulder pads so they wouldn't click on his helmet?  We're talking Division 1 football and to hear your leader or your leader's mother leaking this stuff is just absurd.  Go do that at USC and see how it's taken.  It's no slam but they both just needed to grow up a little.  I'm sure Beck didn't mean as much harm as she did but the reality she was part of the problem.  

The back side of this is that the fans and media wouldn't let this junk go and MM didn't get the opportunity for this growing up period to go unnoticed, that's the real shame.  I promise you he won't complain about anything like that at USC because he knows he's not the ONE there.  Don't give me this crap about blisters, DMAC played with a severely injured toe for gods sake, that probably hurt a little more don't you think?  Was he complaining?  Hell no he was practically forcing the coaches to play him.  All I'm saying is that this isn't peewee league and that crap shouldn't have been front page and used against a coaching staff.  If that's the way it's going to be than this staff is way to soft and we need to stick supporting gymnastics.

AFWarrior83

Are Hogville.net posters affecting recruiting in any way positive/negative? That is the main thing I am curious about.
Hogville member since 2005.

grizzlyhawg

Quote from: hogtheznutts on June 05, 2007, 05:51:40 pm

Come on Tulsa, anytime a parent or parents go to an AD to discuss football then they're to involved?   You can say whatever you want and I'm not going to go look it up but when she has to be quoted saying that I agree HDN can run the offense he chooses, then you got a major mom problem.   How did the shoe leak that came out come to pass?  Why did we have to get an article saying that UA actually spent $5,000+ to get that corrected. what about that MM wanted his highschool shoulder pads so they wouldn't click on his helmet?  We're talking Division 1 football and to hear your leader or your leader's mother leaking this stuff is just absurd.  Go do that at USC and see how it's taken.  It's no slam but they both just needed to grow up a little.  I'm sure Beck didn't mean as much harm as she did but the reality she was part of the problem.  

The back side of this is that the fans and media wouldn't let this junk go and MM didn't get the opportunity for this growing up period to go unnoticed, that's the real shame.  I promise you he won't complain about anything like that at USC because he knows he's not the ONE there.  Don't give me this crap about blisters, DMAC played with a severely injured toe for gods sake, that probably hurt a little more don't you think?  Was he complaining?  Hell no he was practically forcing the coaches to play him.  All I'm saying is that this isn't peewee league and that crap shouldn't have been front page and used against a coaching staff.  If that's the way it's going to be than this staff is way to soft and we need to stick supporting gymnastics.

yep..

that is it in one package..

good post

In reference to Matt Jones he was successful at Arkansas when he was on the football field.  Big difference between him and and the back up QB who went to go play football with his friend in USC.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: BigDeal on June 05, 2007, 03:26:15 pm

How about the other very good questions that have been asked......very valid and I look forward to solid answers in return.  I would ask or suggest you give it a shot....but lord only knows what kind of stuff you would come up with.  I have never liked having discussions with anyone that is unable to see something from one angle and that being theirs...You are a solid example of such a person.

86jacketstchamps

So in regards to your points written....Casey's parents are too involved as well.....Since Nutt stated that they called and wanted to discuss their uneasiness with the posibility of losing another year's redshirt for Casey.....with Nutt saying that they wanted Nutt to either redshirt him or play him.....???

And before you go and talk about Dmac playing with the hurt toe....maybe you should do some checking and make sure that it was his choice to do so, or if in fact he was pressured and pushed to play......I for one as a HC, would not have risked playing my stuf RB in the opening game, when that game had nothing to do with the full season, and the expectations were not there at that time as well.  Dmac would not have been on that field, if it had been most coaches.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: aloha_kid on June 05, 2007, 03:35:34 pm
Q) Did HDN deserve a ‘two-year pass’?
   q) Do other coaches deserve a ‘pass’?

Stan heath took over the basketball program under a tremendous negative atmosphere.  The cupboard was sparse to say the least and he lost the incoming class.  Stan got jobbed

I love how so many feel that Nutt deserved the 2 year pass, and seem to think that it was just unfair for him to go through that, if he didn't cause it.  If some want to look at how other schools with higher expectations in place look at a so-called black cloud for an excuse....just reference Alabama and see how long David Shula was given...and he and the program was under far worse NCAA restrictions...but never did it hit their recruiting extremely hard.   I also will note that Nutt recruited better during that 2 year cloud....with his season record being what suffered, however...that record should not have been affected by the cloud in my mind......but then again.....we never have depth and never have the oppurtunity to redshirt quality players while building towards the future.

Hogrenderings

Most parents are not quoted by the media. 

NEVER heard of a grandparent saying that a head coach both:  1)  "Abused Mitchell"   .....and in next sentence said HC 
                                                                                     2)  "Ignored Mitchell"

These statements were heard by me on the news.

That's too much parental/grand-parental involvement......

Justme

You're correct.  Parents and players should have no say-so in U of A athletics.  It's all about Nutt and Co. and however they choose to do business.  Everyone else is to remain quiet, including fans (except Teresa, whose input is invaluable), BOT, administration, and Foundation.  Sshh.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: Hogrenderings on June 05, 2007, 06:42:32 pm

NEVER heard of a grandparent saying that a head coach both:  1)  "Abused Mitchell"   .....and in next sentence said HC 
                                                                                     2)  "Ignored Mitchell"

So if what the grandparent stated is actually the truth, and her son just asked for his release, why would it be wrong for her to comment on it?

waphill

- why does he waste time outs on 3rd/4th downs so that we have none left for end of half/game
- after those timeouts why does he run the same ole plays, pass to the fb in the flat
- why do his pass plays consist of max protect, 10 yd out by SE, FB in the flat
- why is he afraid to throw the ball in the middle of the field
- why does he coach "not to lose", instead of to win
- why does he not a have a single bit of aggression in his bones
- why is he afraid to play possibly the best player on the team, just because he is a freshman
- why did he lose to Vandy at home
- why does he treat bowl games like a vacation, and have very lax rules and curfews for the players
- why are all of his punishments just a slap on the wrist

Those are just some off the top of my head

hogtheznutts

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on June 05, 2007, 06:29:18 pm

So in regards to your points written....Casey's parents are too involved as well.....Since Nutt stated that they called and wanted to discuss their uneasiness with the possibility of losing another year's redshirt for Casey.....with Nutt saying that they wanted Nutt to either redshirt him or play him.....???

And before you go and talk about Dmac playing with the hurt toe....maybe you should do some checking and make sure that it was his choice to do so, or if in fact he was pressured and pushed to play......I for one as a HC, would not have risked playing my stuf RB in the opening game, when that game had nothing to do with the full season, and the expectations were not there at that time as well.  Dmac would not have been on that field, if it had been most coaches.
[/quote
Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on June 05, 2007, 06:29:18 pm

So in regards to your points written....Casey's parents are too involved as well.....Since Nutt stated that they called and wanted to discuss their uneasiness with the possibility of losing another year's redshirt for Casey.....with Nutt saying that they wanted Nutt to either redshirt him or play him.....???

Go figure you chiming in your BS.  I ate lunch with Felix, DMAC and another former ALL SEC player under Nutt right before the SEC Championship game.  I know what he told me and you as usual just make up crap to sound cool on a message board.  Your post insinuated DMAC didn't want to play and once again your either ignorant of the facts or believed some false propaganda.   Are you really trying to say Casey's parents did anything remotely what Beck did?  Goodness if you buy that then the truth you don't really want.

Hogrenderings

Quote from: 86jacketstchamps on June 05, 2007, 06:49:10 pm
Quote from: Hogrenderings on June 05, 2007, 06:42:32 pm

NEVER heard of a grandparent saying that a head coach both:  1)  "Abused Mitchell"   .....and in next sentence said HC 
                                                                                     2)  "Ignored Mitchell"

So if what the grandparent stated is actually the truth, and her son just asked for his release, why would it be wrong for her to comment on it?

Do you really want to hear the comments of every grandmother on a football team?  How crazy.  Can you just see Granny running out there with the water can, towel, ice bag and other paraphenalia whenever little Johnny gets sick and throws up in the 100 degree heat at practice.

Are you honestly serious?

Talk about the green jerseys causing trouble........This is absolutely NOT the way football should be played.  Shoot, why don't we just bring in the aunts and uncles and let them interview, too.  Let's not leave anybody out.  This is crap and you know it.

Hogrenderings

Quote from: Justme on June 05, 2007, 06:46:49 pm
You're correct.  Parents and players should have no say-so in U of A athletics.  It's all about Nutt and Co. and however they choose to do business.  Everyone else is to remain quiet, including fans (except Teresa, whose input is invaluable), BOT, administration, and Foundation.  Sshh.

Who's the coach?  This is not an interactive sport with the audience.

Justme

Quote from: Hogrenderings on June 05, 2007, 10:07:16 pm
Quote from: Justme on June 05, 2007, 06:46:49 pm

Who's the coach?  This is not an interactive sport with the audience.
Most sports aren't interactive.  And did I mention we don't have a real coach?

PlaygroundLegend

Good summary, I'm from the "other side". Every time I attempt to ask a "why" question I get blasted, so thanks for the insight. BTW, could you expand on something. You said you didn't believe HDN had anything to do with TP's emails. How do explain the increased activity of their correspondence at the time of both emails? To me, if it happens once, it's a coincidence...twice...not so much. I still think the email is what they talked about, not the impending death in the family. (you'd have to believe that talking about sad situations compelled her to send them...which is just well, ...weird)

Answer: Considering Prewett's relationship with D Nutt, and by extension the Nutt family, I don't see anything terribly unusual about some phone calls or see any reason to question at this time the nature of the calls. Bottom line, I don't believe H Nutt gave any direction to T Prewett. I believe her actions and decisions were her own, poor as they were. That's my opinion.