Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the BIG 12 in Arkansas' future now that Broyles is retiring?

Started by rink6670, June 05, 2007, 01:01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 01:57:07 pm #50 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:14:52 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
 ;D

rzrbckfan426

Quote from: hawkhog on June 05, 2007, 01:52:49 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on June 05, 2007, 01:03:16 pm
No.  Let's stay in the best conference in the Nation...

you're not in the Big Ten :)

I know, at least we're not constantly OVERRATED every year

Chief Mac

Quote from: rink6670 on June 05, 2007, 01:01:04 pm
He was dead-set against it, but now that he is retiring, will the new administration listen to the fans???

which fans?  I haven't heard anyone say they would rather be in the Little 12
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

dman

Stay in the SEC and schedule the big boys for the non-conference games.  I know the SEC is the best and hardest to win, but I would love to play either texas or oklahoma regularly.  The texas game helps our recruiting.  If not ou or ut, then some other Div 1 team and not chattanooga.

Stella

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:17:05 pm
Why not go to the Big 12 and win real championships?

As oppose to settling for 5th and 6 th place in the SEC, if you arent going to do what it takes to win the SEC, then why stay?

Yeah, our Chancellor is so committed to winning in the SEC, NOT!  If he was, Nutt would be gone.

razorbass

Chief Mac

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:48:23 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on June 05, 2007, 01:40:21 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:33:14 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on June 05, 2007, 01:31:22 pm
He was dead-set against it, but now that he is retiring, will the new administration listen to the fans???

This is called a "homer post" because if the roles were reversed and we were in the BIG 12 talking about going to the SEC you would say the opposite.

Fact is the current admin is perfectly happy losing and cashing that pay check. The recruiting base is better in the SEC, but seeing how we dont land any of those recruits, it does nothing for us.

STFU 311...I love being in the SEC...this is not a homer post...are you scared of competition??? SEC is MUCH better than the Big 12. Why do you think if we move to the Big 12 we would all of a sudden "win" championships??

You are a homer if you believe the SEC to be "that much" better then the Big 12 i mean seriously.

What is the difference between Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, And Us compared to K-state, Neb, Colo, Kansas?

SEC has 2 great programs so does the Big 12   Florida/Lsu,  Texas/Oklahoma.

The only reason you are preaching SEC as if we are comparing the NFL to the European League is because are currently IN THE SEC, like i said if it was flip flopped you would be claiming the Big 12 was WAY BETTER then the SEC.

actually, the SEC has more than just two great teams.  Teams that have consistently in the past 10 yrs been ranked in the top 10:

UGA
Auburn
LSU
Tennessee
Florida

Top to bottom, the big 12 CANNOT compete with the SEC
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Stella

311Hog

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on June 05, 2007, 02:02:03 pm

This is called a "homer post" because if the roles were reversed and we were in the BIG 12 talking about going to the SEC you would say the opposite.

Fact is the current admin is perfectly happy losing and cashing that pay check. The recruiting base is better in the SEC, but seeing how we dont land any of those recruits, it does nothing for us.

STFU 311...I love being in the SEC...this is not a homer post...are you scared of competition??? SEC is MUCH better than the Big 12. Why do you think if we move to the Big 12 we would all of a sudden "win" championships??

You are a homer if you believe the SEC to be "that much" better then the Big 12 i mean seriously.

What is the difference between Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, And Us compared to K-state, Neb, Colo, Kansas?

The only reason you are preaching SEC as if we are comparing the NFL to the European League is because are currently IN THE SEC, like i said if it was flip flopped you would be claiming the Big 12 was WAY BETTER then the SEC.

actually, the SEC has more than just two great teams.  Teams that have consistently in the past 10 yrs been ranked in the top 10:

UGA
Auburn
LSU
Tennessee
Florida

But you cannot balk at the power house the Big 12 conference is, without showing you are a homer.  If i remember correctly in the modern era (last 10 years) several National Champions have come out of the Big 12 as many or more infact then have come from the SEC in the same time frame.

You can claim they play a "weaker schedule", etc etc all you want but the fact remains. Do i think the SEC is better? yep sure do, but im not going to sit here and act as if we are talking about the Big 12 as if it were the Sun Belt conference.

SEC, Big 12, Pac-10 are the three premier conferences for college football, while there is a difference between them, but it isnt all that big.

Chief Mac

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 02:06:55 pm

UGA
Auburn
LSU
Tennessee
Florida

But you cannot balk at the power house the Big 12 conference is, without showing you are a homer.  If i remember correctly in the modern era (last 10 years) several National Champions have come out of the Big 12 as many or more infact then have come from the SEC in the same time frame. You can claim they play a "weaker schedule", etc etc all you want but the fact remains. Do i think the SEC is better? yep sure do, but im not going to sit here and act as if we are talking about the Big 12 as if it were the Sun Belt conference.

SEC, Big 12, Pac-10 are the three premier conferences for college football, while there is a difference between them, but it isnt all that big.

Wrong.  The SEC is superior.

1996  Florida (SEC)
1997  Michigan (Big 10)
1998 Tennessee (SEC)
1999  Florida St (ACC)
2000  Oklahoma (Big 12)
2001  Miami (ACC)
2002  Ohio St (Big 10)
2003  LSU  (SEC)
2004  USC (Pac 10)
2005  Texas (Big 12)
2006  Florida (SEC)

Breakdown:

SEC: 4
ACC: 2 (Miami was part of Big East when they won)
Big 10: 2
Pac 10: 1
Big 12: 2

Ouachihog

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 02:06:55 pm

UGA
Auburn
LSU
Tennessee
Florida

But you cannot balk at the power house the Big 12 conference is, without showing you are a homer.  If i remember correctly in the modern era (last 10 years) several National Champions have come out of the Big 12 as many or more infact then have come from the SEC in the same time frame.

You can claim they play a "weaker schedule", etc etc all you want but the fact remains. Do i think the SEC is better? yep sure do, but im not going to sit here and act as if we are talking about the Big 12 as if it were the Sun Belt conference.

I rarely agree with you 311, but you are making some good points IMO.  I think it is the opinion of our fans that the SEC is far and away better than the big 12.  This just isn't the case, as you pointed out. 

Do I think the SEC is the better overall conference?  Yes.  However, the power of both conferences is much closer than many SEC fans realize. 

Over the past 8 years, the conference RPI of the big 12 has been BETTER than the SEC in 5 of the 8 years.  The big 12 also has a higher conference RPI in 2 of the last 3 years. 

I like the SEC, but the argument that we should not go to the big 12 b/c it is a much weaker conference doesn't hold water, according to the rankings. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

texasaggie

man i hope you come to the big 12. that would be great for us. yall are solid oponents and would add a lot to the conference

hawkhog

Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on June 05, 2007, 01:58:07 pm
Quote from: hawkhog on June 05, 2007, 01:52:49 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on June 05, 2007, 01:03:16 pm
No.  Let's stay in the best conference in the Nation...

you're not in the Big Ten :)

I know, at least we're not constantly OVERRATED every year

you have to look at head to head competition and the Capital One and the Outback Bowls do just that.  The Big Ten has won 13 games and the SEC has won 12.  ( I combined both bowls).

Now isn't is more fun to be debating things like this on a message board than what we typically have been forced to deal with as a result of Razorback on The Hill mismanagement...

go hogues

I've got a great idea.  I'm going to hold my 16 year old kid back this year so he can play against the JV teams.  That way, he'll look REALLY good and I can be proud of myself.  There's really no use in him playing against people his own age anyway.

This is the mentality some of you have regarding the move to the Big-12.
Please don't let the inferiority and mediocrity complex that bubbles forth on the hill creep down and seep into your better judgement.
We can bring new leadership in and be a dominant SEC team.  There is no doubt in my mind about that.  Look no furthur than the 2006-07 major sports programs at the UA.  Conference champions in each major sport under a banner of mediocrity.
Think what we could be without that mindset!
It's all about changing mindsets.  Once we can do that, people will see how awful it would be to join the Big-12. 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

311Hog

Quote from: go hogues on June 05, 2007, 02:36:37 pm
I've got a great idea.  I'm going to hold my 16 year old kid back this year so he can play against the JV teams.  That way, he'll look REALLY good and I can be proud of myself.  There's really no use in him playing against people his own age anyway.

Please don't let the inferiority and mediocrity complex that bubbles forth on the hill creep down and seep into your better judgement.
We can bring new leadership in and be a dominant SEC team.  There is no doubt in my mind about that.  Look no furthur than the 2006-07 major sports programs at the UA.  Conference champions in each major sport under a banner of mediocrity.
It's all about changing mindsets.  Once we can do that, people will see how awful it would be to join the Big-12. 

LOL yeah its just that simple to change a mindset.

Bro did you not hear our Athletic Director say POINT BLANK WE ARE EIGTH OR NINTH IN THE SEC AND ALWAYS WILL BE, our Head coach is the poster boy for Mediocrity, and a portion of our fans ACTUALLY LIKE THE INDEPENDANCE BOWL, AND FEEL LIKE JUST BARELY BEING OVER FIVE HUNDRED IS THE BEST WE WILL EVER BE.

Im sorry man but i would much rather be back in our old stomping grounds of Texas and Oklahoma, then to be humiliated on national tv.

GBPackerFan

What fans are wanting us to go to the Big 12?  I was completely unaware of this.  The SEC is where we need to be, not the Big 12.  I want to play the best teams in the country every year, and that is in the SEC.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: JAMAHog on June 05, 2007, 01:05:34 pm
Are there fans who want to be in the Big 12?  I don't know any. 
*PBD raises hand in the back of the room*
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

blake

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:17:05 pm
Why not go to the Big 12 and win real championships?

As oppose to settling for 5th and 6 th place in the SEC, if you arent going to do what it takes to win the SEC, then why stay?
I aqgree with ya.

311Hog

Quote from: GBPackerFan on June 05, 2007, 02:42:33 pm
What fans are wanting us to go to the Big 12?  I was completely unaware of this.  The SEC is where we need to be, not the Big 12.  I want to play the best teams in the country every year, and that is in the SEC.

you said the key word

"play" not win but "play".

BCShogs

go hogues

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 02:40:56 pm
Quote from: go hogues on June 05, 2007, 02:36:37 pm

LOL yeah its just that simple to change a mindset.

Bro did you not hear our Athletic Director say POINT BLANK WE ARE EIGTH OR NINTH IN THE SEC AND ALWAYS WILL BE, our Head coach is the poster boy for Mediocrity, and a portion of our fans ACTUALLY LIKE THE INDEPENDANCE BOWL, AND FEEL LIKE JUST BARELY BEING OVER FIVE HUNDRED IS THE BEST WE WILL EVER BE.

Im sorry man but i would much rather be back in our old stomping grounds of Texas and Oklahoma, then to be humiliated on national tv.
Who's to say we would not still be humiliated?
If it is so hard to change mindsets, then this is what would happen:
We would move over to the Big-12 with the rest of the college sports world laughing in our faces.  We would perform really well for a year or two and then guess what?  That old, familiar thought of mediocrity would start slipping back into our mindsets.  First it would be a laziness in recruiting, then it would be "Well, we can't expect to beat Texas and Oklahoma EVERY year" then it would be, "Our only losses this year came to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M, and they are nationally ranked powers."
AHHHH, see a pattern there?  We would slowly regress back into the mindset of not giving the extra effort to be the best team we can possibly be.  We WOULD STILL be mediocre.  Sorry, but until mindsets are changed (JFB will be gone on 12/31/07, DMW will follow closely behind)That, my friend, is a HUGE jump in the right direction, especially if we can bring in a new AD who is in touch with this century and ready to make this one school state, a state with no pro sports or no big competitiors, a school that absolutely dominates every facet of every sport.  It CAN happen.  ALL the resources are there.
I'm sorry but I think that any reasoning for a jump to the Big-12 is incorrect reasoning.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

311Hog

I dont see it that way:

1. The College world is already laughing at us so you should be use to that by now.

2. We use to really compete well in Texas in the SWC hell we actually WON CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS then, so stands to reason we could do it again, and this time on a much bigger scale because the Big 12 is like the SWC on steriods.

I mean i dont want to leave the SEC, but i am tired of recruiting like we are in the Sun Belt, selling to the fans like we are in the SEC, and Coaching like we are in Jr. High School.

go hogues

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 02:54:49 pm
I mean i dont want to leave the SEC, but i am tired of recruiting like we are in the Sun Belt, selling to the fans like we are in the SEC, and Coaching like we are in Jr. High School.
So you would rather be recruiting like the SEC but competing against the Jr. High?

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 03:07:00 pm #73 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:16:39 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
wow :razorback:

311Hog

Quote from: go hogues on June 05, 2007, 03:02:34 pm
So you would rather be recruiting like the SEC but competing against the Jr. High?

I would rather we recruited, played, and coached as if we were a premier team in the SEC. Remove the "moral" from Moral Victories.

go hogues

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 03:07:19 pm

I would rather we recruited, played, and coached as if we were a premier team in the SEC. Remove the "moral" from Moral Victories.
So why not stick with that mentality and stay in the SEC!  I don't WANT to be an SEC caliber team in the Big-12.  I want to be an SEC caliber team IN THE SEC.

EnemyNumberOne

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 05, 2007, 01:35:52 pm
Quote from: Tomcat on June 05, 2007, 01:33:33 pm
One thing I like about the SEC, is that almost every conference game is like a bowl game against stiff competition.  We wouldn't get that in the Big XII

we would play maybe two big games a  year in the little 12

I look at OKlahoma's home schedule every year and they do not play hardly any big games at home. Only ones they have is when the play somebody out of conference.

Using Athlon's preseason rankings, your best home games this year are against Auburn (21), South Carolina (UR) and Mississippi State (UR). Is that really better than two of OU(7)/Texas(2)/A&M(23) and one of the north teams like Nebraska (17)?

As an A&M fan, I probably would have prefered we went to the SEC, but I'm now pretty happy in the Big 12.

311Hog

Quote from: go hogues on June 05, 2007, 03:09:48 pm

So why not stick with that mentality and stay in the SEC!  I don't WANT to be an SEC caliber team in the Big-12.  I want to be an SEC caliber team IN THE SEC.

News Flash it doesnt matter if i have that mentality, our Athletic Director doesnt, our HEad football coach doesnt, a significant portion of our fan base doesnt.

And that is the problem.

cosmodrum

Quote from: menehune on June 05, 2007, 01:10:10 pm
Why don't all of you who want to hire and fire the coaches, determine what conference we're in, etc. go apply for the athletic director's job.

If you don't like what is discussed on this board, why do you post?
Go away, batin'

311Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 05, 2007, 03:12:13 pm
Quote from: menehune on June 05, 2007, 01:10:10 pm
Why don't all of you who want to hire and fire the coaches, determine what conference we're in, etc. go apply for the athletic director's job.

If you don't like what is discussed on this board, why do you post?

you know i would apply for the AD job, but i am not a 100 year old WASP so i doubt i would have a shot.

go hogues

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 03:10:56 pm
Quote from: go hogues on June 05, 2007, 03:09:48 pm

News Flash it doesnt matter if i have that mentality, our Athletic Director doesnt, our HEad football coach doesnt, a significant portion of our fan base doesnt.

And that is the problem.
Hey, that's what I was saying!  lol

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 03:27:56 pm #81 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:08:04 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
Interesting post :razorback:

Lhs

Hog fans have their heads so much up the A$$es of the SEC that they cannot see that Arkansas would be much better in the Big 12. 

If you look at this objectively, the Razorbacks need to be in the Big 12.  Unless we're scared of getting drummed every year in basketball by Mizzou, get whupped by OSU in baseball and getting our teeth smashed in by the likes of Texas, OU and A&M every year. 

Newport Hog

Quote from: hawgaramus on June 05, 2007, 01:07:04 pm
I love being in the SEC, but we are a better geographic fit for the Big 12.  One of the reasons we haven't developed a real rivalry in the SEC yet is because we don't match well geographically with any one school.  If we were in the Big 12, we'd have a history with Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.  We would also have "border rivalries" with Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. 

The money and prestige of being in the SEC is nice and everything, but we have to start developing some kind of rivalry games to keep things interesting.  The prestige of the Big 12 would go up by adding a program like Arkansas anyway.....

Okay I would rather play Ole Miss/Alabama anyday of the week rather than Mizzou and OSU.  Come on the Big 12 sux I want to stay in the best conf in America!!!!!

Lhs

I think Mizzou kicked Ole Miss' ass in football last year and Miss St in basketball.  I don't need you remind you of the ass kicking we took against them in basketball.

Newport Hog

How about lets just stay in the SEC and play Texas Texas AM or OU every year Non conf

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 03:56:13 pm #86 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:06:30 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
Theres a thought :razorback:

oldbooniehog

I'm going to say this again.

Only small-minded losers with severe inferiority complexes really want to leave the SEC for the Big 12.

There. I said it again.

oldbooniehog

JEM

SEC all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 04:43:25 pm #89 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:05:17 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
Quote from: oldbooniehog on June 05, 2007, 04:14:51 pm
I'm going to say this again.

Only small-minded losers with severe inferiority complexes really want to leave the SEC for the Big 12.

There. I said it again.

oldbooniehog

----------------
lol ;D

ksrazorback

No way, that would be like going back to the old SWC, we were fortunate to be able to get in the SEC and that is where we should stay!!

Don't listen to Memphis-ites...

:razorback:   Go Razorbacks    :razorback:     :razorback:
Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 05:00:04 pm #91 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:04:16 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
Quote from: ksrazorback on June 05, 2007, 04:54:41 pm
No way, that would be like going back to the old SWC, we were fortunate to be able to get in the SEC and that is where we should stay!!

Don't listen to Memphis-ites...

:razorback:   Go Razorbacks    :razorback:     :razorback:

Very Interesting  :razorback:

Adram

as ppl have said on this thread.....recruiting would be 5 times better for us if we were in the Big 12 getting Texas exposure.

edmo

Leaving the SEC would be INSANE! Why would we want to leave The Premier Athletic Conference for the Big 12?

NWASooner

Again, the SEC isn't THAT much better than the Big 12.  The Big 12 North is down right now but if you were in the Big 12 South, you'd finish no better than third on a consistent basis, which is about where you're at in the SEC West.

The money between conferences is a net wash but you might be able to get into a better bowl if you're in the North unless Nebraska and Colorado and maybe K-State get back into gear.

Don't laugh at Colorado, either.  Going back 20 years, they're a better program than Arkansas and they recruit California VERY well.  Dan Hawkins is also a good coach.

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 05:05:06 pm #95 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:24:33 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
I agree.

:razorback:

rules

Why would you want to go and play in the big 12? That conference SUX"S!! They have OK, TX & NE...Nothing else - major step down.  Maybe we should go to the MEAC???

hawkhog

Quote from: NWASooner on June 05, 2007, 05:03:34 pm
Again, the SEC isn't THAT much better than the Big 12.  The Big 12 North is down right now but if you were in the Big 12 South, you'd finish no better than third on a consistent basis, which is about where you're at in the SEC West.

The money between conferences is a net wash but you might be able to get into a better bowl if you're in the North unless Nebraska and Colorado and maybe K-State get back into gear.

Don't laugh at Colorado, either.  Going back 20 years, they're a better program than Arkansas and they recruit California VERY well.  Dan Hawkins is also a good coach.

I agree with NWA Sooner.  The SEC is probably better than the Big top to bottom but what matters the most is...what is best for the U of ARKANSAS and the Big 12 is probably a better conference (for the fans and the program).  This is applicable to all major sports.  Playing Kansas in BB is just as prominent as playing Kentucky.  Texas equal to Florida.  Then add Okie State, Texas Tech, Mizzouri, K-State and even A&M and OU.  Same with baseball...

razorrog1

Quote from: Since 1894 on June 05, 2007, 01:09:16 pm
I can see it, unless the money was better in the Big 12.
Bingo! Won't ever happen unless there's more money involved.

slowride

We wouldn't do any better in football in the Big XII than we do in the SEC.  We need to join a conference like Conference USA or the Mid-America Conference.  That way we truly could be dominant.  We wouldn't earn as much money but we would have more success on the field and all the fans would be happy.  In basketball, the Big XII is as tough as the SEC.  OSU, Texas, and Kansas have all gotten to the final four in recent years.