Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the BIG 12 in Arkansas' future now that Broyles is retiring?

Started by rink6670, June 05, 2007, 01:01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

Road games would be closer, but we would still play second fiddle to Texass, OU and Nebraska. (We've been away too long imo) why go back now?
Hogville member since 2005.

tmp

I don't see Arkansas switching conferences, things tend to stay the way they are without some big outside forces like those that caused all the changes in the 1990s.

I would, however like the big 12 south, Arkansas should be there in the place of Baylor.

Baylor just doesn't have a fan following to compete with Arkansas, they're in a tough spot trying to compete in a top tier conference.

I also can see recruiting advantages in the big 12 south, Texas is the only place out of state where Arkansas has ever been able to get significant numbers of recruits.

The SEC is good, but it seems alot of folks think it's so great that just being here is good enough. (Frank for example)

Bragging about conference affiliation seems to have taken the place of winning at Arkansas.

Just being in the SEC and winning half the time doesn't do much for me.

I would like to see the administration build a winning program no matter what the conference.

But they have their own agenda, which seems to be keeping the good ole boy network in place no matter what.

Justme

Quote from: edmo on June 05, 2007, 05:02:26 pm
Leaving the SEC would be INSANE! Why would we want to leave The Premier Athletic Conference for the Big 12?
To be more competitive if we're not going to improve our program and get up to SEC standards.

hogzirra

The next person that asks this inane question should be banned from not only this website but the entire internet.  Do it like the army and ban the offender as well as any person with the same isp.
"The smell of fat chicks throws my spine out of place"

-David Bowie

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: rink6670 on June 05, 2007, 01:01:04 pm
He was dead-set against it, but now that he is retiring, will the new administration listen to the fans???

hmm..based on the body of responses, I would say no.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Justifiable Hogicide

There is a group that wants to leave the SEC and go to the Big 12 so that it will be easier on their hero Houston Nutt to win.

The BOT has discussed it privately also, for the same reason.

:razorback:

budcampbellfan

(sigh. . . eyes rolling)  What is with this Big 12 crap?
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on June 05, 2007, 08:38:55 pm

There is a group that wants to leave the SEC and go to the Big 12 so that it will be easier on their hero Houston Nutt to win.

The BOT has discussed it privately also, for the same reason.

:razorback:
They are probably pining away for the old church league, SWC too.  They do not want to fool with being a real football power.  Just continue the old paper tiger, pretender role.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Jellohawg

The switch to the BIG 12 will never happen.  If there is any more BS up on the hill, the SEC office might ask us to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 10:34:53 pm #110 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:22:47 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
Interesting posts :razorback:

hawaiianhogster

Dugann

Arkansas if just now caught up with the rest of the SEC and is starting to postion it's self as a power in the west in all sports.  At least a 1-3 year in and year out. Did you see the $ each school got this year from the SEC for sports shareing?  So to say it HELL NO  we will not switch.  I would like it and think we would rock there even be as good as texas oh yea A and M would be  a step child to us but no we'll not go no where now that we have and yes we have dispite our fball coachs blunders turned the page and have the sec respect right now.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

woodhog14

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 02:06:55 pm
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on June 05, 2007, 02:02:03 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:48:23 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on June 05, 2007, 01:40:21 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:33:14 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on June 05, 2007, 01:31:22 pm
He was dead-set against it, but now that he is retiring, will the new administration listen to the fans???

This is called a "homer post" because if the roles were reversed and we were in the BIG 12 talking about going to the SEC you would say the opposite.

Fact is the current admin is perfectly happy losing and cashing that pay check. The recruiting base is better in the SEC, but seeing how we dont land any of those recruits, it does nothing for us.

STFU 311...I love being in the SEC...this is not a homer post...are you scared of competition??? SEC is MUCH better than the Big 12. Why do you think if we move to the Big 12 we would all of a sudden "win" championships??

You are a homer if you believe the SEC to be "that much" better then the Big 12 i mean seriously.

What is the difference between Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, And Us compared to K-state, Neb, Colo, Kansas?

SEC has 2 great programs so does the Big 12   Florida/Lsu,  Texas/Oklahoma.

The only reason you are preaching SEC as if we are comparing the NFL to the European League is because are currently IN THE SEC, like i said if it was flip flopped you would be claiming the Big 12 was WAY BETTER then the SEC.

actually, the SEC has more than just two great teams.  Teams that have consistently in the past 10 yrs been ranked in the top 10:

UGA
Auburn
LSU
Tennessee
Florida

Top to bottom, the big 12 CANNOT compete with the SEC

But you cannot balk at the power house the Big 12 conference is, without showing you are a homer.  If i remember correctly in the modern era (last 10 years) several National Champions have come out of the Big 12 as many or more infact then have come from the SEC in the same time frame.

You can claim they play a "weaker schedule", etc etc all you want but the fact remains. Do i think the SEC is better? yep sure do, but im not going to sit here and act as if we are talking about the Big 12 as if it were the Sun Belt conference.

SEC, Big 12, Pac-10 are the three premier conferences for college football, while there is a difference between them, but it isnt all that big.

and I would still rather be in the SEC...better TV ratings and coverage and national exposure. (Except Texas)

Since the BCS has started the SEC has won 3 national championships with the Big 12 winning two...to break it down even further...

- SEC in BCS Championship games: 3-0
- SEC in BCS Championship games and how they got there:

1998: Tennessee beat FSU after beating Mississippi St.(9-2)* in the SECCG
2003: LSU beat OU a BIG XII team after beating Georgia(10-2)* in the SECCG
2007: Florida beat Ohio St. after beating Arkansas(10-2)* in the SECCG

- BIG XII in BCS Championship games: 2-3...the 3 Losses in championship games and how the respective team got there goes like this:

2002: Nebraska didn't even play in the conference championship game, didn't even WIN their OWN division...got smoked by Miami 37-14
2003: OU LOST to Kansas St., but still played in the BCSCG and LOST TO LSU an SEC school
2004: OU beat an unranked Colorado team with a .500 conference record in the B12 title game 42-3(not so tough for a conference championship) then went on to get smoked by USC 55-19 in the BCSNGC.

The BIGXII wins go like this:

2001: OU beats FSU after beating Kansas St.(10-2)* in BXIICG
2006: Texas beats USC after beating Colorado(7-4)* 70-3 in BXIICG with Colorado having a .500 record in conference again. Once again...not too tough for a conference championship.

Overall BCS records:

-SEC: 9-4 (13 total) = .692 winning percentage
-BIG XII: 5-7 (12 total) = .416 winning percentage 

The SEC teams played tougher competition to get to the BCSCG in the SECCG, than the BIG XII teams did.

Yep looks like we would win a championship if we moved to the BIG XII easily.  :-\

SEC = SUPERIOR to the BIG XII!!!

* = REGULAR SEASON RECORDS

hogfaninbr

What fans are calling for this???  Playing texass every year is not a reason to walk away from the sec.  Its not like we arent competitive..WE REACHED THE CHAMPIONSHIP game in all 3 major sports and continue to dominate track.  This is the premier conference why walk away???  People forget in all this Nutt Sh*t that we have been really successful in all sports.  Its amazing to me that people can crap on everything the hogs have done because of one idiot coach.  Im  no nutt fan by any means but as long as we are competing for SEC championships in 3 sports then there is no reason in Hell that we should move to the crappy 12.  Maybe some of you arent old enough to remember how many times texas referees have screwed Arkansas in bball and fball.  I guess its true that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

ArkieBrat

We need to stay in the SEC.  Here's the bottom line...if Arkansas had a quality first class, hard working football coach that could produce...well, we would not even be discussing the possibility of hopping over to the Big 12.  Has our football program gone so far south that we are willing to hop over to a lesser conference just to have some big wins?  A good coach will get our football program to a competitive level in the SEC. 
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

Newport Hog

How about this the Super SEC:  West Texas,Texas AM,LSU,Arkansas,Ole MissAlabama,Auburn SEC East: Florida,Tennessee,Georgia,South Carolina,Kentucky,Vandy,FSU.  That would be awesome Miss St would be left out Conf USA or Big East or Little 12 LOL

NorCalHog001

Big XII = OU, Nebraska, and their ten [CENSORED].

Just saying.

Jim

Wouldn't there need to be an "invite" to even consider this?  Just because we get a new AD doesn't necessarily mean the Big 12 is going to pick up the phone and give us a call.  Has there been some discussion of this legitimately taking place?

If we were still in the SWC from back in the day, I'd much rather see the rivalries continue with TX, A&M, T Tech and the like as well as develop some games with Mizzou & Neb.  However, since we're already in the SEC, arguably a more (if not THE) prominent league, and by making a move yet again to another conference that would further bring add'l ridicule and mockery to us, I say "no".

The SEC-Champ was well within our grasp.  We CAN compete but we need the right "people" in place to make it happen.

KU JAYHAWG FAN

June 06, 2007, 07:22:17 am #119 Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:24:08 am by KU JAYHAWG FAN
All you a$$ sucking broyles fans of the sec, just love to be a mediocre team and stay 8th or 9th place every year.I keep hearing this "OH WE ARE ON VERGE" and"IF WE HAD BETTER COACHES" horse crap. Ive heard that crap for years and still nothing.I would rather be in the big 12, ivy league, or another conference then be the laughing stock of the nation every dang year.This entire sec thang is a mistake that broyles made years ago.If arkansas makes all this money in the sec, why dont we see any big time recruits coming to arkansas? they would rather be living off the sec funds thats all its about. You people just stay with your beloved sec and suck tit like you have done for 15 years now for whatever good it will do.I wouldn't give a pile of horse-crap for broyles or nutt, i would fire them on the spot or for the sec for that matter. You lame ass people can stay in your precious sec and be dumba$$e$. I certainly would expect this out of arkansas fans, they would  rather be power hungry than win games and championships. No wonder arkansas is in turmoil, you all caused it and earned it!! GO BIG XII- DOWN WITH THE SEC, I SPIT ON YA!! GO TULSA-GO USC!!!   

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: football-writer on June 05, 2007, 01:29:59 pm
Quote from: oldman1015 on June 05, 2007, 01:28:33 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 05, 2007, 01:26:43 pm

no no no no no no no

we play big games in the SEC why would we want to step down.
maybe to win some of those games on a yearly basis and have a better recruiting base.

In the SEC we have the BEST recruiting base
I call horse poo on this one.

We no longer have a pipeline to Texas.  Without it, our recruiting base is less than mediocre.

Hong Kong Sooey

To all of you who think that only Memphis fans and quitters want to be in the Big 12:  You are very wrong. 

Some of us are capable of looking at geography and traditional rivalries and realizing we don't belong in the SEC.  Not because of competition.  Not because of money.  But because we belong in the same confernce as Texas. 

Oh, and that recruiting thing?  We would be a lot better in the Big 12 there also...

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on June 06, 2007, 07:44:51 am
To all of you who think that only Memphis fans and quitters want to be in the Big 12:  You are very wrong. 

Some of us are capable of looking at geography and traditional rivalries and realizing we don't belong in the SEC.  Not because of competition.  Not because of money.  But because we belong in the same confernce as Texas. 

Oh, and that recruiting thing?  We would be a lot better in the Big 12 there also...

HKS,  I'm shocked.  I hate the big 12 just the same as I hated the SWC.  I was never so happy in my life to leave that Texass conference behind.

If not for the 17 year bungling job by Frank Broyles we would have cemented our place in the SEC.  When he's finally gone,  we will begin our ascendency.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hog_heaven_2000

Do you want the new AD to listen to the fans, or do you want him to listen only to you?
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

kimjongsqUeAl

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????????????

Who wants to join the Big12 and where do they live?  Hawgacyde will go "talk" with these individuals.

BTW, when you say "listen to the fans", the fans say they love the SEC.  I have NEVER in my life heard ANYONE say they want the Hogs in the frickin' Big12. 

This is a joke and it will NEVER happen.  In fact, I just had pick up my a$$ because it fell off while I was laughing hysterically at this "idea".  (insert coo-coo clock emoticon here please)

Seriously, people who think like this need to move to Vermont with the rest of the Nutts!  You have no business being here in AR.

Thanx,
hawgacyde

P.S. Somone PLEASE throw this thread in the trash!!!!!!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Albert Einswine on June 06, 2007, 07:51:35 am

HKS,  I'm shocked.  I hate the big 12 just the same as I hated the SWC.  I was never so happy in my life to leave that Texass conference behind.

If not for the 17 year bungling job by Frank Broyles we would have cemented our place in the SEC.  When he's finally gone,  we will begin our ascendency.
My main issue is recruiting.  I can live without the natural rivalries.  I can live with poor geography.  I can't understand how we plan to ascend very high without recruiting Texas.  And we will never maximize in that area without serious ties to Texas.

Maybe we should schedule most of our OOC games with Texas teams?

demonHOG1013

why leave the sec? we just won all our conf games but one to LSU, before losing in the SECCG. We have the talent to compete in the SEC, just need the right COACH to get us over that hump of a SECCG

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on June 06, 2007, 09:10:26 am
why leave the sec? we just won all our conf games but one to LSU, before losing in the SECCG. We have the talent to compete in the SEC, just need the right COACH to get us over that hump of a SECCG
I posted the reasons why we should consider it.

The reasons we should stay are obvious also.

More revenue
Better competition
More revenue

That's about it.

I'm truly not advocating for either.  But, I see why both are attractive to some people.

George S. Pigton

I attend 90% of the games year in and year out in Football.  I like the idea
of the road trips being shorter but, Lawrence, Manhatten, Ames, Lubbock,
Stillwater, just not doing it for me.  I also think the Hogs could compete better
and the rivalries might be a bit more natural in the Big 12.  However, ARK has been
in the SEC for 15 years now, they are competing at the level they need to, just
need to get over the hump to winning the championships games.  ARK is
doing better than half of the teams in the SEC which have been in the league
for decades.

The Hogs are close guys, hang on and hope our next AD and our new basketball
coach can turn the tide.  DVH is doing his part and Nutt has laid a good
foundation. 
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

Lhs

I don't get Razorback fans.......What's the infatuation with the SEC?  Yeah, it's good conference, but so is the Big 12.  I guess the fans feel better bashing another conference since the Hogs haven't been in the national spotlight in some years (other than the HDN fiasco).

There are only two differences between these two conferences.  First, the fans in the SEC are better.  They show up big time for football.  The game day atmosphere is incredible.  For basketball, well I have to give it to the Big 12, only slightly, in terms of game day atmosphere, but it's close.

The second difference is academics.  As much as the SEC is better in football atmosphere, the Big 12 is that much better in academics.  SEC has Vanderbilt but the Big 12 has Baylor.  I don't think anyone in the SEC can touch Texas, A&M, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri in terms of academics.  The only schools in the SEC up to par in Academics would be Florida and South Carolina.  Everyone else would be bottom tier excecpt, of course, Vanderbilt.

Also, since the 2000-2001 seasons, the SEC has an overall football record of 10-11 against the Big 12 and an overall basketball record of 15-32.  So who is better?  It seems to me that it's a wash in football and the Big 12 is better in Basketball.  But, I would still put the SEC a notch above the Big 12 in football strickly on atmosphere alone.  No Big 12 team can touch the SEC in that category.  Nebraska comes close but still would be mid-tier SEC in atmosphere.

So, given the money is about the same, atmosphere better in the SEC, academics better in the Big 12, football talent a wash, basketball talent better in the Big 12, and the rest of the sports (Baseball, Track, Wrestling, Swiimming/Diving, Golf, Gymnastics, Tennis, etc.) being about the same, how can fans say that the SEC is THAT much better than the Big 12??  As I see it, the only factor to consider now is the great rivalries Arkansas would have with the Texas and Okalhoma schools not to mention Missouri and location.  Imagine, being able to travel better to Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas not to mention the conference championships being held in Dallas, San Antonio, OK City and Kansas City.  Much easier travel than to Atlanta every year.

I dunno no, just some thoughts before bashing the Big 12.

HogHillbilly

Well............Since we can't seem to win a SEC Championship...............Maybe we should move to the Big 12

Money ain't everything
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

slowride

I don't get all the flag waving about the SEC either.  We spend more time cheering for the conference than we do our own team.  We have no rivalries in the SEC except that which we create between conferences.  It is not that much fun.  If we were in the big 12, we would have a huge rivalry with Texas.  Plus, the historical rivalries with A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech.  In addition, there would be an instant rivalry with OU that would be bigger than any we currently have with any of our current SEC foes.  Trust me, this would not be a one-sided rivalry or one we had to work at to manufacture.

NWASooner

SEC fans seem to be the only ones in the country who actually care about how their conference is perceived.  You don't hear Big 10 fans carry on about conference superiority. 

Also, Arkansas gets no respect nationwide for playing in the SEC.  No one cares.  No ones thinks of Arkansas as a team that's "7-4 but they're in a great conference."  They think of them as a 7-4 team in the Shreveport Bowl.

tmp

That's what gets me, why all the chest thumping about conference affiliation ?

The sooner has it right, you don't get extra points for being in the SEC, you have to win games.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: HogHillbilly on June 06, 2007, 10:46:16 am
Well............Since we can't seem to win a SEC Championship...............Maybe we should move to the Big 12

Money ain't everything

why dont we just drop to I-AA or DII. We would win National Championships every year.  The UofA is an SEC school and its gonna stay that way.

Lhs

I can't think of two things that the SEC give Arkansas that the Big 12 can't

hawgaramus

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on June 06, 2007, 08:55:16 am

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on June 06, 2007, 08:55:16 am

My main issue is recruiting.  I can live without the natural rivalries.  I can live with poor geography.  I can't understand how we plan to ascend very high without recruiting Texas.  And we will never maximize in that area without serious ties to Texas.

I agree with you about this.  Instead of scheduling all these directional Louisiana schools, we should be scheduling Texas schools so we can keep a base there.  Schedule a couple of lesser teams like Baylor or SMU so we can keep our visibility there.

hawgaramus

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on June 06, 2007, 09:12:31 am
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on June 06, 2007, 09:10:26 am
I posted the reasons why we should consider it.

The reasons we should stay are obvious also.

More revenue
Better competition
More revenue

That's about it.

I'm truly not advocating for either.  But, I see why both are attractive to some people.

You can't just look at the more revenue aspect of it though.   We have more revenue coming in by being in the SEC, but the travel budget would be a lot smaller if we were in the Big 12. I would think that our recruiting budge would also be smaller too in the Big 12.  We could focus on Texas instead of having to go out to Alabama, Georgia, and Florida to recruit. 

We have more revenue coming in by being in the SEC, but our expenses are also higher too....

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Lhs on June 06, 2007, 11:20:17 am

The SEC is consistantly the best conference in Football, Baseball, Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Track. The Big 12 isnt consistently in the top of any of these sports, football maybe every now and then

Jim

Florida, LSU, Auburn, Bama & Tennessee

VS.

Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Nebraska and who...maybe T Tech?

Which is the more attractive group of conference rivals?  Granted, each list has their own "teams on the rise" and "teams at the top" but from those 5 on 5 right there, I'd give the very slight edge to the SEC.

ThunderHog

I have relatives in Alabama and Mississippi...really old south.  We are perceived as a border state, with the eastern delta area having some common ground with southern states, but the area of the state that the UA occupies is looked upon as being dominated by mid-western type.  We have never been accepted by some of the traditonal SEC schools as one of their own which has resulted in no natural rivalry.

Ouachihog

Quote from: Jim on June 06, 2007, 11:39:34 am

Florida, LSU, Auburn, Bama & Tennessee

VS.

Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Nebraska and who...maybe T Tech?

Which is the more attractive group of conference rivals?  Granted, each list has their own "teams on the rise" and "teams at the top" but from those 5 on 5 right there, I'd give the very slight edge to the SEC.

I think the difference is Jim, that we would, or already do, have a much more natural rivalry with Texas, OU, and A&M.  That would tilt the advantage to the big 12.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still not sure if I would advocate a move to the big 12, but those who make the case based on rivalry/geographic reasons do have a valid point. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Pa-Paw

If there were not a lot of fan interest in moving to the B12, the subject would not be brought up every cotton picking week or so. Arkansas is a border state between two of the largest conferences in the NCAA. At least Arkansas has a choice. As far as simply scheduling Texas schools for recruiting purposes, forget it. They are not about to help Arkansas or any other non B12 school with recruiting in Texas. That would be crazy on their part. What would they have to gain?

Razor8

I would hate - "HATE" to move the hogs from the SEC to the Big 12. Our recruiting problems are not soley because we are in the SEC - its mostly to do with the coaching staff!!!!!!! Period. A lot of you are only looking at football - in the mid 90's who were the biggest rivals in basketball - Ark - Ken. And we can compete in all of the other major sports. I dont want Ark known as a school who left the SEC b/c they couldnt win enough games so instead of improving we duck tale and run to the weaker Big 12. Oh and if you havent noticed or maybe you forgot - Texas is back on our schedule in 2008.

I will NEVER vote to leave the SEC for the Big 12 - NEVER EVER!!!!!!
Razorbacks

King-Tusk

Arkansas does not have a historical rivalry in the SEC.  We had a strong rivalry with Kentucky in BB in the 90's, but it faded as the programs fell from the top of the rankings.  I think the potential is there for the rivalry to be renewed as both programs have new coaches coming, plus the BCG flirtation.  In football, LSU could develop into the rivalry the two schools intended with the Battle for the Boot, but we need to start winning some games against them. 

In the Big 12, the schools we would consider rivals would only see us as a 2nd or 3rd choice as a rival.  Texas, Tamu, Oklahoma, and OSU have their primary rivals.  We would still be an afterthought.  We would also suffer the perception that we couldn't hack it in the SEC and ran to the Big 12 to compete. 

Forget the Big 12, we're in the SEC where we should stay.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Lhs

First of all, the Big 12 is NOT weaker.  Just look at the head to head records since 2000.  SEC is 10-11 in football and 15-32 in basketball.

Also, why is it that the biggest crowds in Fayetteville for football  have been non-conference games like Texas and USC?

Also, admit it, Arkansas CANNOT compete year in and  year out in the SEC.  I'm not sure they can compete in the Big 12 any better than they are in the SEC.  I just think, all other things being equal (which they are), Arkansas would be better of in the Big 12 from a rivalry and location perspective.

King-Tusk

Quote from: Lhs on June 06, 2007, 01:03:10 pm
First of all, the Big 12 is NOT weaker.  Just look at the head to head records since 2000.  SEC is 10-11 in football and 15-32 in basketball.

Also, why is it that the biggest crowds in Fayetteville for football  have been non-conference games like Texas and USC?

Also, admit it, Arkansas CANNOT compete year in and  year out in the SEC.  I'm not sure they can compete in the Big 12 any better than they are in the SEC.  I just think, all other things being equal (which they are), Arkansas would be better of in the Big 12 from a rivalry and location perspective.

I get excited every week that we have a conference game in football.  The atmosphere in the SEC is awesome.  Scheduling an OOC game every year against the Big 12 would be ok, but the thought of facing Big 12 schools each week doesn't do it for me.  Sorry, but it just doesn't get me excited.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

kimjongsqUeAl

OK, again it is worthless to even think about moving from the sec.  this thread is done.  next . . .
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

BUCCANEER FAN

It seems more likely that you fans that are against the move to the big 12, are more prideful and worrying what the nation will think instead of what the big 12 program will accomplish.Even if arkansas was to accept the move and get laughed at for the move (its not our problem broyles made the wrong move to the sec) it wouldn't be to much more of a difference being laughed at now since arkansas is now in the history books as a joke university to the nation.Arakansas has been in the sec, and couldn't get it done in 15 years. You look at these schools in football in the sec that haven't gotten it done in decades or even 100 years? I don't know about you but i wouldn't want to wait 100 years to figure out that arkansas isn't going to accomplish nothing when there could be rivalries,championships,bcs bowl games, high rankings, and respect in all of the Big XII sports.I don't think to much would change in  the big 12 with the sports programs arkansas would compete and win the games.Im sorry you all want to stay in a cellar like state in the sec every year, thats understandable , but there is other oppertunities and if arkansas ever gets the chioce to move to the big 12 then im all for it.

*note: the big 12 is the 2nd best conference in the country, why are you all putting sun belt, ivy league and swc with the big 12 that could own any of those schools? I know you people are upset, but get your story straight!! ;)