Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the BIG 12 in Arkansas' future now that Broyles is retiring?

Started by rink6670, June 05, 2007, 01:01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rink6670

He was dead-set against it, but now that he is retiring, will the new administration listen to the fans???

secfan30

Why take a step backward? As a whole, the SEC is the best Overall Conference in the nation, why go to #2?

sooie dog

Quote from: rink6670 on June 05, 2007, 01:01:04 pm
He was dead-set against it, but now that he is retiring, will the new administration listen to the fans???

What fans want to move to the Big 12.  I live in KC and would rather stay in the SEC.

JAMAHog

Are there fans who want to be in the Big 12?  I don't know any. 

hawgaramus

I love being in the SEC, but we are a better geographic fit for the Big 12.  One of the reasons we haven't developed a real rivalry in the SEC yet is because we don't match well geographically with any one school.  If we were in the Big 12, we'd have a history with Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.  We would also have "border rivalries" with Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. 

The money and prestige of being in the SEC is nice and everything, but we have to start developing some kind of rivalry games to keep things interesting.  The prestige of the Big 12 would go up by adding a program like Arkansas anyway.....

rzrbckfan426

The games may be closer and we would win more games but the overall competition in the SEC is WAY BETTER.  I kinda do like the fact of getting into the big XII north and playing in the champ game every year.  But on the flip side if we make it to the champ game every year then nutt would never leave b/c, well hell we're the north conference champs!!

football-writer

He;s right...there ARE "fans" who want to see us move to the Big-12...it's just that they pull for that university in Shelby county, Tennessee (A.K.A. the University of Memphis)
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

Rooka

Stay in the SEC!!! Best conference in the land, no reason to leave.

Since 1894

I can see it, unless the money was better in the Big 12.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Landonhog

Listen to what fans? 

Why not go for the Sunbelt while we're at it?  Ha! 

Talk about accepting mediocrity!  You can win the Big 12, and still question your worth...  That's not remotely possible in today's SEC!

menehune

Why don't all of you who want to hire and fire the coaches, determine what conference we're in, etc. go apply for the athletic director's job.

Landonhog

Quote from: Since 1894 on June 05, 2007, 01:09:16 pm
I can see it, unless the money was better in the Big 12.

It is definitely not, at the moment.  I don't see how this could change, but I could be wrong...

football-writer

I have a feeling Rink6670 listens to and supports Memphis and their ...I repeat...THEIR ....desire for the Hogs to leave the SEC, creating a void they hope to fill.

311Hog

Why not go to the Big 12 and win real championships?

As oppose to settling for 5th and 6 th place in the SEC, if you arent going to do what it takes to win the SEC, then why stay?

football-writer

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:17:05 pm
Why not go to the Big 12 and win real championships?

As oppose to settling for 5th and 6 th place in the SEC, if you arent going to do what it takes to win the SEC, then why stay?

Get rid of DMW and JFB and we will win championships....one will be gone come Jan 1...the other should be gone soon after.

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 01:20:55 pm #16 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:10:52 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
That is interesting  :razorback:

razrhawg

The SEC just divid' up 122 million in equal parts to all the schools, the Big 12 can't touch that.

It ain't happenin and it ain't never happenin.  Believe it or not rivalries will develope for us, it takes many years, those old SWC rivalries are fading fast, young people don't even know anything about them.

I do but, I'm old, I'm also very happy to compete against the best in the SEC.

rzrbckfan426

Look if Broyles seems resigned to the fact that we should constantly finish 9th in the sec as far as an overall program why not go to the Big XII and win some champs

Hollywood_HOGan45

no no no no no no no

we play big games in the SEC why would we want to step down.

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 01:28:13 pm #20 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:12:11 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
lol :razorback:

football-writer

Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on June 05, 2007, 01:21:34 pm
Look if Broyles seems resigned to the fact that we should constantly finish 9th in the sec as far as an overall program why not go to the Big XII and win some champs

Look at Basketball the last two seasons and the 5-6 and 4-7 seasons in football...It's not about championships....otherwise Nutt would have been fired after they went 4-7...it IS about the all-mighty dollar....the SEC has the most...

oldman1015

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 05, 2007, 01:26:43 pm

no no no no no no no

maybe to win some of those games on a yearly basis and have a better recruiting base.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

football-writer

Quote from: oldman1015 on June 05, 2007, 01:28:33 pm

no no no no no no no

maybe to win some of those games on a yearly basis and have a better recruiting base.

In the SEC we have the BEST recruiting base

hawgaramus

Quote from: razrhawg on June 05, 2007, 01:21:08 pm
The SEC just divid' up 122 million in equal parts to all the schools, the Big 12 can't touch that.

It ain't happenin and it ain't never happenin.  Believe it or not rivalries will develope for us, it takes many years, those old SWC rivalries are fading fast, young people don't even know anything about them.

I do but, I'm old, I'm also very happy to compete against the best in the SEC.

There isn't a hug difference in money per school between the two conferences.  We do get more for being in the SEC, but its not the difference that a lot of people try to make it out to be.  As fans of the program, we should be more worried about the quality of entertainment and accessibility to games, and not how much the athletic department is making per year. 

The revenue generated by a school like Arkansas joining the conference would probably go up anyway.  They could kick out a loser school like Baylor and improve the overall quality of teams by adding Arkansas.

And how long should it take for us to develop rivalries in the SEC.  Sorry, but it should have happened by now.  The closest thing we have to a rivalry right now is LSU, and that's only because of a contrived, hideous trophy that we play for every year, that most people don't even care about.  We've been in the SEC for 16 years now.  If we had a 16 year history of playing Oklahoma and Missouri, we wouldn't need a butt-ugly trophy to make the game interesting....

woodhog14

Please quit brining this up...the Big 12 pales in comparison to the SEC

grayhawg

The big 12 is really "The Big 2". UT & OU and 10 little Indians. Oops can I say Indians? 8) 8)

311Hog

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 05, 2007, 01:31:22 pm

Please quit brining this up...the Big 12 pales in comparison to the SEC

This is called a "homer post" because if the roles were reversed and we were in the BIG 12 talking about going to the SEC you would say the opposite.

Fact is the current admin is perfectly happy losing and cashing that pay check. The recruiting base is better in the SEC, but seeing how we dont land any of those recruits, it does nothing for us.

rzrbckfan426

Quote from: football-writer on June 05, 2007, 01:29:59 pm

no no no no no no no

In the SEC we have the BEST recruiting base

Then why do all of our "top recruits" come out of texass and arky.  If we moved to the Big XII the arky would come with us and texass comes a bit closer.  I don't see too many players from the hotbed of florida on our roster.

razrhawg

Oh I'm not saying there isn't a valid case for moving to the Big 12, just sayin not going to happen, we would leave to much money on the table.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Tomcat on June 05, 2007, 01:33:33 pm
One thing I like about the SEC, is that almost every conference game is like a bowl game against stiff competition.  We wouldn't get that in the Big XII

we would play maybe two big games a  year in the little 12

I look at OKlahoma's home schedule every year and they do not play hardly any big games at home. Only ones they have is when the play somebody out of conference.

Hollywood_HOGan45

no no no no no no no

good points but i don't want arkansas to be labled as a conference hopper.

can't imagine some of the opposing recruiters using that against us.

hardhittinghog

NOOOO thats kookie talk...the Big 12 would love to have us though
Hi. I'm Wilford Brimley and I have Diabetes. It hurts me to pee and it causes me to be short with my family. I can't sleep at night. The other day I stubbed my toe and I took it out on the dog. And two weeks ago I ran out of vanilla ice cream and struck my wife. Then I find out my wife's been dead for six years. Who the hell did I hit?!

cardinalhawg

I used to be in favor of the Hogs being in the Big 12 with the natural rivalries like Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M, to go along with the geographic proximity.  However, IMO, the SEC is the best conference and that is the place to be.  I would rather see some schools like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt kicked out of the SEC and schools like Texas, Oklahoma, etc. brought into the SEC.  I know that the SEC would become even tougher, and that things wouldn't match up as well geographically for all the teams involved, but those Texas, Oklahoma, and/or Kansas teams being in the SEC would bring more excitement in various sports.

woodhog14

Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:33:14 pm

This is called a "homer post" because if the roles were reversed and we were in the BIG 12 talking about going to the SEC you would say the opposite.

Fact is the current admin is perfectly happy losing and cashing that pay check. The recruiting base is better in the SEC, but seeing how we dont land any of those recruits, it does nothing for us.

STFU 311...I love being in the SEC...this is not a homer post...are you scared of competition??? SEC is MUCH better than the Big 12. Why do you think if we move to the Big 12 we would all of a sudden "win" championships??

rzrbckfan426

But don't you love the feeling of winning.  We take pride in beating the miss schools each year so why not beat up on colorado and iowa st. in the north.  Road games would be sooo much closer and personally I would rather beat up on nebraska than lose to LSU and Florida every damn year.  OK St. is on par with bama, OU, Texas, and A & M make up for LSU, Aubie and one team in the east each year, not seeing a problem other that the $$$.

grayhawg

311Hog

Quote from: cardinalhawg on June 05, 2007, 01:39:43 pm
I used to be in favor of the Hogs being in the Big 12 with the natural rivalries like Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M, to go along with the geographic proximity.  However, IMO, the SEC is the best conference and that is the place to be.  I would rather see some schools like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt kicked out of the SEC and schools like Texas, Oklahoma, etc. brought into the SEC.  I know that the SEC would become even tougher, and that things wouldn't match up as well geographically for all the teams involved, but those Texas, Oklahoma, and/or Kansas teams being in the SEC would bring more excitement in various sports.

Do you never want to win another conference game?  if we kicked those teams out who would HDN have left to beat?

Fact is the SEC is better, but that doesnt mean we belong in it.  Big 12 "fits" alot better for us given our history and our expectations.

McFadden 4 Heisman

June 05, 2007, 01:41:57 pm #39 Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:13:33 pm by McFadden 4 Heisman
I agree :razorback:

rzrbckfan426

And I could see LSU still scheduling us as a non-conf each year to keep the boot trophy goin

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

NMHOGG

Not going to happen.  A common thread with this years recruits is the importance of playing in the SEC. 
Let Memphis go to the big1/2

cosmodrum

You think we're the laughing stock now? How about when we basically tell everyone that the Razorbacks can't hack it in the SEC. At least that's how the rest of the nation would see it.

I do not want to leave the premier conference of college football. There is a change to be made, and it's not the conference in which the Razorbacks compete. It's the coach who cannot compete in said conference.
Go away, batin'

Ouachihog

Quote from: Landonhog on June 05, 2007, 01:09:37 pm

Talk about accepting mediocraty!  You can win the Big 12, and still question your worth...  That's not remotely possible in today's SEC!

We were 7-1 in the SEC last season and our "worth" is more than questioned every day. 

"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

311Hog

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 05, 2007, 01:40:21 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on June 05, 2007, 01:33:14 pm

STFU 311...I love being in the SEC...this is not a homer post...are you scared of competition??? SEC is MUCH better than the Big 12. Why do you think if we move to the Big 12 we would all of a sudden "win" championships??

You are a homer if you believe the SEC to be "that much" better then the Big 12 i mean seriously.

What is the difference between Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, And Us compared to K-state, Neb, Colo, Kansas?

SEC has 2 great programs so does the Big 12   Florida/Lsu,  Texas/Oklahoma.

The only reason you are preaching SEC as if we are comparing the NFL to the European League is because are currently IN THE SEC, like i said if it was flip flopped you would be claiming the Big 12 was WAY BETTER then the SEC.

rzrbckfan426

I didn't see OU or TX questioning their worth when they were hoisting the Nat'l Titles!?!

hawgaramus

Okay, here is the best solution.  We are going to create a new conference with the following 12 teams.  This gives us the border rivalries that we need, a wide recruiting base, and will have enough big name schools and competition to secure the big TV contracts that generate most of the revenue:

Arkansas
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
LSU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Louisiana Tech (we have to have at least one Vanderbilt type team in the conference)

hawkhog

grayhawg