Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil Steele's TOP 50

Started by AFWarrior83, June 03, 2007, 06:29:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

toshortrock

why mad at steele?he might right,just because we have maybe the best back,he will have to do it by hisself,which other teams will be keying on him,it will be hard for dmac,37 is about right,,,quit crying
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

AFWarrior83

Quote from: toshortrock on June 07, 2007, 03:17:42 am
why mad at steele?he might right,just because we have maybe the best back,he will have to do it by hisself,which other teams will be keying on him,it will be hard for dmac,37 is about right,,,quit crying

Mizzu, Purdue, Arizona St., Memphis, Boise St., Oregon, Miami and Florida St. should be below the Hogs. I'm not saying that we should be in the top 10, but the top 25 isn't asking too much.
Hogville member since 2005.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 07, 2007, 02:47:14 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 06, 2007, 04:19:08 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 06:29:43 pm
Phil Steele's 2007 Preseason Top 50
1. USC
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. West Virginia
5. Michigan
6. Texas
7. Louisville
8. Florida State
9. Virginia Tech
10. Penn State
11. Georgia
12. Hawaii
13. South Carolina
14. Florida
15. Ohio State
16. Wisconsin
17. Alabama
18. Oregon
19. Missouri
20. Texas A&M
21. UCLA
22. Nebraska
23. TCU
24. South Florida
25. Tennessee
26. Arizona State
27. Miami
28. California
29. Iowa
30. Rutgers
31. Boise State
32. Memphis
33. Southern Miss
34. BYU
35. Purdue
36. Virginia
37. Arkansas  ???  :razorback:
38. Notre Dame
39. Oregon State
40. Oklahoma State
41. Auburn
42. Georgia Tech
43. Illinois
44. Utah
45. Clemson
46. Houston
47. Toledo
48. Troy
49. NC State
50. Western Michigan

* I did'nt see a post on here about it yet.

Verified.........Don't know where you got it so early, but good job, on the money!

Does this mean I have SOURCES?

Ha, ha, maybe you do. YOU are my new best friend AFWarrior. :)
Go Hogs Go!

AFWarrior83

Verified.........Don't know where you got it so early, but good job, on the money!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha, ha, maybe you do. YOU are my new best friend AFWarrior. :)
[/quote]

8)  ;)  :razorback:
Hogville member since 2005.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 07, 2007, 02:47:14 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 06, 2007, 04:19:08 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 06:29:43 pm
Phil Steele's 2007 Preseason Top 50
1. USC
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. West Virginia
5. Michigan
6. Texas
7. Louisville
8. Florida State
9. Virginia Tech
10. Penn State
11. Georgia
12. Hawaii
13. South Carolina
14. Florida
15. Ohio State
16. Wisconsin
17. Alabama
18. Oregon
19. Missouri
20. Texas A&M
21. UCLA
22. Nebraska
23. TCU
24. South Florida
25. Tennessee
26. Arizona State
27. Miami
28. California
29. Iowa
30. Rutgers
31. Boise State
32. Memphis
33. Southern Miss
34. BYU
35. Purdue
36. Virginia
37. Arkansas  ???  :razorback:
38. Notre Dame
39. Oregon State
40. Oklahoma State
41. Auburn
42. Georgia Tech
43. Illinois
44. Utah
45. Clemson
46. Houston
47. Toledo
48. Troy
49. NC State
50. Western Michigan

* I did'nt see a post on here about it yet.

I am pretty sure that Steele has this nailed....he is human, but he is usually not wrong about this stuff.

Personally, I like LSU as my #1 just edging out USC by a narrow margin. He has USC's schedule as the 2nd most difficult in the country and I just don't see that, while he rates LSU's schedule as being #52. I just can't agree with that. Unless something crazy happens between now and the beginning of the season, LSU will open the season as my pre-pick for #1.

Steele has Louisville at #7 but I have them higher at my #4. The only real potential speed bumps I see on their schedule are Kentucky on 9/15 and then West Virginia and Rutgers later in the season and they have open dates prior to both of those games to prepare. Other than that, their schedule sets up nicely. I expect Louisville, barring key injuries, to breeze through the season on the arm of Brohm. Their schedule is going to work in their favor and if they can remain unbeaten, especially after West Virginia, they will end the season in the top 5.

I noticed he had Wisconsin at #16. I see them all the way up at #5. I know everyone thinks that Michigan is going to be the whiz kids of the Big 10 this year, but if Wisconsin has a QB that steps up, they may be "whizzes" themselves. The RFr QB that played six games last year in Stocco's absence is the heir apparent and Wisconsin has a much better O-Line than they had last year and it is projected that their Defense overall will be better than last year as well. If Wisconsin can survive tests against Iowa, Penn State and Ohio State, you will see the Big 10 title decided on 11/10 when they entertain Michigan in Madison. I believe they are a top 10 team.

I do have some other issues with some of his rankings but let me cut right to the team from my home state, Oklahoma. I just cannot see OU being ranked #3. I believe they will be good but I do not believe that they will be a top 10 team this year, not yet. I have OU at a pre-season #17. They may have had more time to find and groom a QB this year, but they have NO experience at this position. NONE. ZERO. ZILCH. Arkansas has the two best backs in the country starting, but OU has the best backfield in terms of quality and depth of any team in the country. They are deep and experienced everywhere except their D-Line and LB's where they have some holes to fill, though their secondary may be one of the best in the NCAA. Still, because of the lack of experience at QB, I don't see OU being a top 5 or even a top 10 this year. That may come next year.

Just a little "fodder" for discussion. Give me your feedback.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Oh yeah, and Arkansas.........Steele had them at #37, I have them at #31. All depends on how quickly the O-Line gels and if the Secondary can be repaired as to whether we deserve to be higher than that. South Carolina at #21 while Steele has them at #13 and that seems over-rated to me. Tennessee at #24(Steele at #25) I can believe that. Georgia at #25(Steele at #11) and I think #11 is giving them a bit too much credit early on. I had Florida, after going back over the numbers, at my #3 spot and he has them at #14? This I have a hard time believing though the man normally knows what he is talking about. I also have Auburn at #18 and he has them at #41 and I think they will be much better than that, though I know there are many who would argue that with me on here. I think they may surprise a lot of people.

Our opener with Troy should be interesting. Steele has them at his #48, I see them lower than that. But while Troy does return only 5 starters on offense, they return 8 on defense. This team allowed only 130 yards rushing per game last season when they only had 3 returning starters. With the entire 4 starters back along the D-Line,  they have 2 of their three starters at LB back as well and 7 of the top 8 in the DB rotation. Unless the Hogs are ready to go from the first snap, this unit could give them trouble early on. Their big question mark is supposed to be their O-Line where they signed 5 Juco players to fill the gaps. They return their QB, a RB and 4 WR's but the offense is expected to be less potent than last year.

The Hogs should win this game, but probably not without a scare first.
Go Hogs Go!

fullfan

Quote from: donewithdale on June 03, 2007, 07:20:22 pm
Steele is the most accurate of all of the preseason mag pollsters.  The dreamers loved it last year when he put us at 13 and praised his knowledge.  Now they want to say he doesn't know what he is talking about.  That is crap.

This is what we get in year 10 with Nutt and a Heisman runner up.  A team with a one dimensional offense and holes on defense because our D coord doesn't like to recruit and Nutt and his Gen x recruiting coordinator are failures.  Guess they'll blame the fans and create a new cloud after this season.
Difference in last season's Phil Steele forecast and this season's?  He knew going into last season that we had a new highly-regarded although not well known Offensive Coordinator and talent on the team.   Still lots of talent but some things have changed.   You figure it out. ;)

hogman64

Steele is the best...........he was pretty much right on the money about us last year in preseason.........when alot of the other mags were giving us very little respect, he had us 13th............if he is right again this  year, and he is the best.........Nutty boy is in trouble.........The Nutt brothers might even be forced to leave the state, latch on at another school and find another over the top, blown up friend that is willing to  conspire with them  to harass freshman recruits.  TP would be hard to replace so that might just have to haul her with them.

Silver Hog

I see Troy at 48, they could jump up and surprise us!

razorbass

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:36:17 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on June 03, 2007, 07:22:57 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:01:45 pm
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on June 03, 2007, 06:40:43 pm
Interesting. He was the one who had the Hogs picked to win the SECW last year when no one else did.

I predicted in another thread last week that the Hogs would finished ranked 38th. Steele and I agree which means you can take it to the bank that the Hogs will have a 4-4 or 3-5 SEC record this year. Nutt isn't going to ever have back to back winning SEC seasons at Arkansas.

Steele knows what I know...too many losses on both lines, loss of the entire secondary, weak QB, idiots for coaches, worst kicking game in the SEC and a one dimensional offense = mediocre record even with MacFadden and Jones.

Think we can't get it done with Casey? Here ya go Darksider. (We all will miss Mitch, but he was not "THE" key player last year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXn7-bWQynA&mode=related&search=

No dreamer we can't consistantly beat the good teams on our schedule with Casey Dick.  He is an average qb with an average arm in a simplistic offense. 

Nobody was saying that when Casey got his redshirt burnt, and played his heart out for the state. You have you're opinion and I have mine. That doesn't make me a dreamer, more like a realist. Give me (1) just ONE game where Mitch Mustain did it all?

I know DMAC and Felix did it TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I can't stand to downplay Mitch, crap I was a huge fan of his also. It sucks he left, but him and Damian leaving isn't going to hurt this team. You're Darksider "hate" glasses have you seeing things you're way. I'm entilted to my opinion. SMITE ME IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HATER!
Totally agree +1

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:01:45 pm
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on June 03, 2007, 06:40:43 pm
Interesting. He was the one who had the Hogs picked to win the SECW last year when no one else did.

I predicted in another thread last week that the Hogs would finished ranked 38th. Steele and I agree which means you can take it to the bank that the Hogs will have a 4-4 or 3-5 SEC record this year. Nutt isn't going to ever have back to back winning SEC seasons at Arkansas.

Steele knows what I know...too many losses on both lines, loss of the entire secondary, weak QB, idiots for coaches, worst kicking game in the SEC and a one dimensional offense = mediocre record even with MacFadden and Jones.

Think we can't get it done with Casey? Here ya go Darksider. (We all will miss Mitch, but he was not "THE" key player last year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXn7-bWQynA&mode=related&search=
Its called being a freshman. Its also called progression, another year under his belt mustain would have been very good!!!

HognotinMemphis

When Hawaii and Missouri football overtakes Arkansas football in the rankings, the tradition and pride of Arkansas football should end. Arkansas football is just a memory. Hope you enjoyed it in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Fayetnam

Come on Rick Schaffer and Chuck! Spin Spin Spin!!!!!