43. Illinois
44. Utah
45. Clemson
46. Houston
47. Toledo
48. Troy
49. NC State
50. Western Michigan

* I did'nt see a post on here about it yet.
Hogville member since 2005.

ilovepinebluff

Auburn at 41?

I usually like Phil Steele's predictions, but this year they seem a little too far fetched.

mikeirwin

June 03, 2007, 06:33:12 pm #2 Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 01:51:53 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 06:29:43 pm
Phil Steele's 2007 Preseason Top 50
1. USC
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. West Virginia
5. Michigan
6. Texas
7. Louisville
8. Florida State
9. Virginia Tech
10. Penn State
11. Georgia
12. Hawaii
13. South Carolina
14. Florida
15. Ohio State
16. Wisconsin
17. Alabama
18. Oregon
19. Missouri
20. Texas A&M
21. UCLA
22. Nebraska
23. TCU
24. South Florida
25. Tennessee
26. Arizona State
27. Miami
28. California
29. Iowa
30. Rutgers
31. Boise State
32. Memphis
33. Southern Miss
34. BYU
35. Purdue
36. Virginia
37. Arkansas  ???  :razorback:
38. Notre Dame
39. Oregon State
40. Oklahoma State
41. Auburn
42. Georgia Tech
43. Illinois
44. Utah
45. Clemson
46. Houston
47. Toledo
48. Troy
49. NC State
50. Western Michigan

* I did'nt see a post on here about it yet.

He is seldom wrong. His preseason magazine is the only one I pay any attention to.
That guy does research 7 days a week 52 weeks out of the year.
They should let him do the college poll each week.

LJHOG

South Carolina as the third best team in the SEC doesn't sound right.  Allbarn at 41?

claytongray

Anyone have a copy of last year's preseason Top 50?

Winner

He was one of the few that had us ranked last year.

HognotinMemphis

June 03, 2007, 06:40:43 pm #6 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:43:19 pm by MarkinMemphis
Interesting. He was the one who had the Hogs picked to win the SECW last year when no one else did.

I predicted in another thread last week that the Hogs would finished ranked 38th. Steele and I agree which means you can take it to the bank that the Hogs will have a 4-4 or 3-5 SEC record this year. Nutt isn't going to ever have back to back winning SEC seasons at Arkansas.

Steele knows what I know...too many losses on both lines, loss of the entire secondary, weak QB, idiots for coaches, worst kicking game in the SEC and a one dimensional offense = mediocre record even with MacFadden and Jones.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ttownhog

At a glance this is my opinion FWIW(not much).

Oklahoma State(40) beat Alabama(17) last year and Oke State is returning virtually the same team. Interesting placement.

Also interesting that Oklahoma is 3. I am sure they will be good but IMO a lot of question marks for a 3 placement over Texas.

Seems he is picking South Carolina(13) as a surprise. I know Spurrier is good but they are going to have a tough go to live up to those standards.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

claytongray

Found this:
http://www.preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2006.html

He did have us at 13 last year. Wow. Also looks like he had us 2nd in the west

He also had Florida at 20 and LSU at 21. Wow for the opposite reason.

HeathWimp

Steele may miss on a few predictions here and there, but if you look at the sum total of his opinions, he is by far the most accurate pre-season predictor.  Most, if not all, of the other pre-season mags base their predictions on the previous season.  Steele is the better because he focuses on the present.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

AFWarrior83

June 03, 2007, 07:01:45 pm #11 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 07:04:48 pm by AFWarrior83
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on June 03, 2007, 06:40:43 pm
Interesting. He was the one who had the Hogs picked to win the SECW last year when no one else did.

I predicted in another thread last week that the Hogs would finished ranked 38th. Steele and I agree which means you can take it to the bank that the Hogs will have a 4-4 or 3-5 SEC record this year. Nutt isn't going to ever have back to back winning SEC seasons at Arkansas.

Steele knows what I know...too many losses on both lines, loss of the entire secondary, weak QB, idiots for coaches, worst kicking game in the SEC and a one dimensional offense = mediocre record even with MacFadden and Jones.

Think we can't get it done with Casey? Here ya go Darksider. (We all will miss Mitch, but he was not "THE" key player last year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXn7-bWQynA&mode=related&search=

AFWarrior83

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 03, 2007, 07:02:43 pm
Is his magazine on the newstands yet ? What does he have to say about our defense ? I would rank us low too when our three best defensive players are all coming off major knee surgeries and we lost the talent we did

Not high, there was only 1 2nd team Defense. Antwaan Robinson, we had a one or two on 3rd and 4th D.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: donewithdale on June 03, 2007, 07:22:57 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:01:45 pm

Think we can't get it done with Casey? Here ya go Darksider. (We all will miss Mitch, but he was not "THE" key player last year)

No dreamer we can't consistantly beat the good teams on our schedule with Casey Dick.  He is an average qb with an average arm in a simplistic offense. 

Nobody was saying that when Casey got his redshirt burnt, and played his heart out for the state. You have you're opinion and I have mine. That doesn't make me a dreamer, more like a realist. Give me (1) just ONE game where Mitch Mustain did it all?

I know DMAC and Felix did it TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I can't stand to downplay Mitch, crap I was a huge fan of his also. It sucks he left, but him and Damian leaving isn't going to hurt this team. You're Darksider "hate" glasses have you seeing things you're way. I'm entilted to my opinion. SMITE ME IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HATER!

AFWarrior83

Quote from: donewithdale on June 03, 2007, 07:41:15 pm
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:36:17 pm

No dreamer we can't consistently beat the good teams on our schedule with Casey Dick.  He is an average QB with an average arm in a simplistic offense. 

Nobody was saying that when Casey got his redshirt burnt, and played his heart out for the state. You have you're opinion and I have mine. That doesn't make me a dreamer, more like a realist. Give me (1) just ONE game where Mitch Mustain did it all?

I know DMAC and Felix did it TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I can't stand to downplay Mitch, crap I was a huge fan of his also. It sucks he left, but him and Damian leaving isn't going to hurt this team. You're Darksider "hate" glasses have you seeing things you're way. I'm entitled to my opinion. SMITE ME IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HATER!

I didn't mention Mitch's name.  Why did you since he is no longer an option here?

You said that we have a weak QB, IMPLYING that we didn't before.

malzhanista

Stoerner, thanks to joe ferguson, ignored nutt. Matt Jones, thanks to his ability did the same.
Casey could be good if he had joe.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on June 03, 2007, 06:31:36 pm
Auburn at 41?

I usually like Phil Steele's predictions, but this year they seem a little too far fetched.
He just knows more than you or me...Live it. He is no hugger.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Hogs-n-Roses

He ranked us so low it just messes you up.

go hogues

4-4 at VERY best.  Steele has not been blinded by the PTB on the Hill who lead us to believe that we'll be better than last year.
6-6 or 7-5 and a date with Tulsa in the Liberty bowl. 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogs-n-Roses

Liberty bowl is played in Dec. Frank will never,repeat Never let that happen.

Coondog Hog

I bet he changes this up some before season starts.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

mtownhog

fineswine

So does Dale blame the poor recruiting on Steele's preseason predictions?  Personally, I think #37 is a bit generous.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: Coondog Hog on June 03, 2007, 08:50:50 pm
I bet he changes this up some before season starts.
Maybe for other teams..But Dads team is where it should be ranked..Tree that?
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

OKhogfan1959

Mitch would have been a great QB this year and he scared people last year..AFWarrior I think it's your hate that is clouding your opinions!
If Casey left the program do you really think he would have options like USC? No he wouldn't he would be at someplace like Rice..how you huggers can attack Mitch over and over and call us darksider haters..I say it's the huggers that hate the program..

bphi11ips

Phil Steele was right about the Hogs last year and he's probably right this year.  Last year we had a fifth year O-line, Dmac and Felix and a favorable schedule.  This year we have Dmac and Felix, a suspect defense, and a rough road schedule.  And no points coming from the OC schedule.

Sophisticated prognosticators like Phil Steele consider the intangibles as well.  Last year he knew we had hope to break out, get to the top and stay there for awhile.  This year, well, . . .
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogcoots

I don't see why everyone is complaining.  At #37, we're a lock for a bowl.  We'll play with a lot of heart.  We'll be just a play or two away.  It will be a special season.  Some of our opponents will score so fast it will just mess you up.  But you'll just have to love the heart.  Special just special.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 03, 2007, 06:48:12 pm
troy at 48

If he is correct(and he usually is), this could make the Troy game even more of a "look out" game than perhaps many of us thought. Now wouldn't that be embarrassing to lose the season opener to them?
Go Hogs Go!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2007, 09:35:26 pm
troy at 48

If he is correct(and he usually is), this could make the Troy game even more of a "look out" game than perhaps many of us thought. Now wouldn't that be embarrassing to lose the season opener to them?
Troy's talent at the skill positions + what will end up as a terrible defense for us = SCARY

And Troy's D is expected to be it's best since Demarcus Ware...

go hogues

Quote from: hogcoots on June 03, 2007, 09:29:16 pm
I don't see why everyone is complaining.  At #37, we're a lock for a bowl.  We'll play with a lot of heart.  We'll be just a play or two away.  It will be a special season.  Some of our opponents will score so fast it will just mess you up.  But you'll just have to love the heart.  Special just special.
So buckle both chinstraps and be a fighter.  lol
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: hogcoots on June 03, 2007, 09:29:16 pm
+1   And the Seniors, We love them, Will bounce around, Get that one play back..Wait till next year..

oldtimerhog

Looks like he considered the Nutt factor.....
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Hogs-n-Roses

The Marmot

No dreamer we can't consistantly beat the good teams on our schedule with Casey Dick.  He is an average qb with an average arm in a simplistic offense. 

I know DMAC and Felix did it TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I can't stand to downplay Mitch, crap I was a huge fan of his also. It sucks he left, but him and Damian leaving isn't going to hurt this team. You're Darksider "hate" glasses have you seeing things you're way. I'm entilted to my opinion. SMITE ME IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HATER!

They weren't the end-all-be-all for Razorback football, but not having their potentially outstanding talents WILL hurt us for the next 3 years.... especially after DMac and Felix leave and our running game isn't outstanding, and our lack of a passing game will TRUELY cost us, liking losing seasons again. That is IF Nutt is still around.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on June 03, 2007, 09:38:29 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2007, 09:35:26 pm
troy at 48

Troy's talent at the skill positions + what will end up as a terrible defense for us = SCARY

And Troy's D is expected to be it's best since Demarcus Ware...

Bingo HKS. Scary is right. Now would that set the tone for HDN's season?
Go Hogs Go!

deucea729

If this prediction is true, I don't think I like DMac's chances at the Heisman...

Oliver

Phil Steele's prediction isn't far-fetched for these reasons:

1.  You know how HDN always says that we were 2 or 3 plays away from winning that game.  Well we were 2 to 3 plays away last year from losing 2 or 3 games.  The ball bounced our way last year in quite a few games and I'm not sure if that will happen this year.

2.  While we have the Heisman front runner returning for us, we have no proven passing game to help him out.  Casey Dick looked worse as the year progressed last year and we no longer have Mitch Mustain.  If Casey Dick continues to play as he did last year or gets hurt, our only other option is a true freshmen...and not a Gatorade player of the year true freshman.

3.  We lost a lot on defense...possibly our best player in Sam Olajubutu.  Chris Houston and Jamaal Anderson will also be missed. 

Oliver

Quote from: deucea729 on June 03, 2007, 10:08:07 pm
If this prediction is true, I don't think I like DMac's chances at the Heisman...

Heisman winners usually play in BCS bowl games.  Do you see us getting to one of those under HDN?

ilovepinebluff

Can someone please explain Memphis at 32?

Oliver

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on June 03, 2007, 10:14:18 pm

No, I can't.  But I'm sure a lot of people were saying the same thing about us last year when he picked us 13th.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: Oliver Miller on June 03, 2007, 10:19:31 pm
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on June 03, 2007, 10:14:18 pm

No, I can't.  But I'm sure a lot of people were saying the same thing about us last year when he picked us 13th.

True..

hogfan064

Quote from: LJHOG on June 03, 2007, 06:38:59 pm
South Carolina as the third best team in the SEC doesn't sound right.  Allbarn at 41?

Most magazines I have show the Gamecocks as having the #1 DL in the SEC and the #2 group of LBs.  The secondary is ranked in the top 5 by most.  That's a strong unit ranking for the defense  of South Carolina.  If a Spurrier coached team's strength is its defense then watch out.   The only place where USC has problems is at offensive line.  There isn't a proven star at WR yet, but they did recruit the #1 WR class in the nation with some 5 stars and 4 stars(according to Rivals).  The kicking game is probably the best in the SEC along with Tennessee. 

USC will be a much better team than last year's 8-5 team, but the problem is they play 4 very tough road games(LSU, Hogs, UGA, and UT) and play Florida at home.  Plus they have a tough OOC road game against North Carolina and a tough OOC home game with Clemson.  The schedule might be too brutal for this team to win any more than 8-9 games.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:36:17 pmGive me (1) just ONE game where Mitch Mustain did it all?

Vanderbilt.

Anything else?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 03, 2007, 08:41:50 pm
It sucks he left, but him and Damian leaving isn't going to hurt this team.

It will hurt some but not as much as the hurt we'll feel down the road but that's another discussion for another day since we're discussing 2007.

The hurt you will feel is the three offensive lineman lost and the two defensive lineman plus Harrison's spring ACL injury.  This is why MiM is right.  Combine that with the road schedule plus the other losses he outlined and you have the formula for another medicore year. 

I would think even the most outspoken Nutt supporters would be concerned with the losses on both lines given the style we play.  Nutt's team have been good when he's had experienced, veteran lines.  They haven't been so hot when he hasn't.  I'll cite 1998, 2002, and 2006 as examples.  Shoot, 2003 should be listed but they went 4-4 in league play.  With those four senior hosses and Andrews, how do you lose ??? 
You talk about losses on teh lines but I think we should only be worried about the guys that we lost on defense.  When have we ever had a problem running the ball with HDN?  In the past our problem has been stopping the other team and throwing the darned ball.  Seems to me that we have some pretty good boys coming back on the O-line anyway.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 04, 2007, 03:09:03 am
Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 03, 2007, 07:36:17 pmGive me (1) just ONE game where Mitch Mustain did it all?

Vanderbilt.

Anything else?
Wasn't there a circus catch made in that game by either Monk or Cleveland?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

AFWarrior83

Quote from: LawnHog48 on June 03, 2007, 09:07:00 pm
Mitch would have been a great QB this year and he scared people last year..AFWarrior I think it's your hate that is clouding your opinions!
If Casey left the program do you really think he would have options like USC? No he wouldn't he would be at someplace like Rice..how you huggers can attack Mitch over and over and call us darksider haters..I say it's the huggers that hate the program..

I did not attack Mitch, I said that we would be fine with Casey. I agree Mitch got Offered by USC and Casey probably wouldn't have, BUT with our tailbacks, as long as the QB can manage the game, we will win a lot of games.

AFWarrior83

June 04, 2007, 04:49:32 am #46 Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:57:11 am by AFWarrior83
Quote from: The Marmot on June 03, 2007, 09:49:50 pm

They weren't the end-all-be-all for Razorback football, but not having their potentially outstanding talents WILL hurt us for the next 3 years.... especially after DMac and Felix leave and our running game isn't outstanding, and our lack of a passing game will TRUELY cost us, liking losing seasons again. That is IF Nutt is still around.

That is the main reason I said THIS team, it's built for running. I agree that 3 years from now we could be a force to recon with Passing the ball, and now that's probably all shot to hell, but you never know... FOR THE RECORD I DON'T CARE FOR NUTT, LIKED THE SPRINGDALE BUNCH, and am a huge hog fan. I just got tired of all the bitching that really isn't doing anything but causing more negative pub on top of what already happened.  :razorback:

AFWarrior83

June 04, 2007, 04:55:46 am #47 Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:57:58 am by AFWarrior83
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 04, 2007, 03:09:03 am

Vanderbilt.

Anything else?

Mitch did well it that game, but he was helped thanks to Monk and F.Jones. Mitch didn't win that game on his own. I remember a lot of passes that we're off, and Monk adjusted to the throw and made plays.

86jacketstchamps

Yea you are right, we will miss Damien also.  Notice on several of the passes, comments by the announcers were "bad pass by the QB", "good adjustment to a bad pass".....

and we will miss Anderson obviously as well.....

Williams had a good game though...thanks for the link......

Hopefully we can have some luck on our side this year

The_Bionic_Pig

I can't believe you guys let a Alabama guy from Rivals fool just about everyone on the net.   Phil Steele's Magazine has yet to be released....all the above post were for scit!!! lol....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*