Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oklahoma State Is Just a Better Team

Started by STRILE, June 02, 2007, 11:38:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

STRILE

Take your hats off boys.  They were better across the board.  They were the hungrier team.   Based on what I have seen, the Big 12 is probably the best conference in the country.  We were outclassed and outplayed.  I don't want to overreact but is there any chance we can get their hitting coach next year? 
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

tkhog

Hogtropolis™

You can't judge who is a better team based on one game in baseball.  I have been on teams that have beat better teams by 10+ plenty of times.  That's the strange thing about baseball, the best team doesn't necessarily win the majority of the time.  I think we are still the better team, but we just had an off night.

BTW, the SEC is clearly the better conference when comparing the SEC and Big XII.  Go look at the NCCA Regional results for the rest of the SEC and Big XII.

hoglady

They were the better TONIGHT - but they may not be TOMORROW or MONDAY.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

STRILE

YES I CAN.  OSU was head and shoulders above the hogs.  The only positive is that we now know where to find our hitting coach next year.
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

STRILE

Quote from: tkhog on June 02, 2007, 11:39:59 pm
Thats bullcrap.
I love the hogs, and I am dying right now.  But the truth is that they are just better.  I have no idea how they are a 3 seed. 

Hogtropolis™

June 02, 2007, 11:46:27 pm #6 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:13:35 am by Hogtropolis™
Quote from: STRILE on June 02, 2007, 11:43:28 pm
YES I CAN.  OSU was head and shoulders above the hogs.  The only positive is that we now know where to find our hitting coach next year.
I don't know why you think you can judge who the better team is in just one game.  Why do you think there are never single games palyed to decide who is the better team?

I tip my hat to OSU, they played a very good game, but IMO we are still the best team in our regional.

hoglady

Their pitching tonight was very good - BUT they are supposed to have a very WEAK Bullpen (Kinda like what ours looked liked tonight) - They were labeled as the best hitting team in this regional from the get go, but their pitching has let them down this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

STRILE

Our bullpen is terrible.  OSU hits the ball much better than we do.  Advantage OSU.  We might have two starters on their team, based on hitting anyway.

STRILE

June 02, 2007, 11:55:29 pm #9 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:13:55 am by Hogtropolis™
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 02, 2007, 11:46:27 pm
I don't know why you think you can judge who the better team is in just one game.  Why do you think there are never single games palyed to decide who is the better team?

I tip my hat to OSU, they played a very good game, but IMO we are still the best team in our regional.
I know a great deal about baseball.  I saw enough tonight, to feel certain that they are the best team in the regional ( Creighton has played better than us too, btw).  Please tell me why you think we are the best team.  There is no evidence to support this.  We don't have two hitters that would even play for them.

hawaiianhogster

They were tonight for sure. They did right and we did wrong. I'm betting we learn from that and come back strong.

STRILE

I hope and pray we do.  I am really down after the game.  Not even angry, just resigned.  We have a lot of holes and DVH has done a great job of putting the season together that he did.  We don't have a Charlie Boyce or a Brady Toops.  If we are to win, it will truly take a miracle.

jst01

June 03, 2007, 12:00:12 am #12 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:38:52 am by jst01

nm

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: STRILE on June 02, 2007, 11:55:29 pm
Evidently, you don't know much about how baseball goes if you think you can judge who the better team is in just one game.  Why do you think there are never single games palyed to decide who is the better team?

I know a great deal about baseball.  I saw enough tonight, to feel certain that they are the best team in the regional ( Creighton has played better than us too, btw).  Please tell me why you think we are the best team.  There is no evidence to support this.  We don't have two hitters that would even play for them.
I'm not basing it off of just tonight, and I haven't seen OSU play more than just this game tonight, so I can't really make a judgement on them.  I can tell they are a good ball club, but I can't conclude how good from watching just one game of theirs.  Just because a team hits the ball well one night doesn't mean that they will the next night also.  That's just the way the game of baseball goes.

I know 100% for sure though that we are a MUCH better team than what we showed tonight.

I also know that you are hoping as much as I am, that we get a chance to play them two more times and prove that we are the better team.

STRILE

June 03, 2007, 12:11:59 am #14 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:03:44 am by TuckFexas
Quote from: jst01 on June 03, 2007, 12:00:12 am
Quote from: STRILE on June 02, 2007, 11:38:49 pm
Take your hats off boys.  They were better across the board.  They were the hungrier team.   Based on what I have seen, the Big 12 is probably the best conference in the country.  We were outclassed and outplayed.  I don't want to overreact but is there any chance we can get their hitting coach next year? 

You change your mind about this team every week.  I dont think baseball is the game for you so go to the mmqb forum and chat with those piles.  please move to oklahoma so you can spend time with your big 12 buds.

Edited: Leave the name-calling out of it.

Do you have to call me names to make your point?  Low iq?  I love the hogs, I thought they were unbeatable last week.  We are a 3 trick pony( Nick, Todd, and Duke).  If we have to win 4 games we are screwed.  You need to grow up and learn to tip your hat when someone gets the better of you.  Especially in your stadium.  They creamed us.  I haven't changed my mind about anything.  I am just capable of making an objective observation.

arkyman

Hogtropilis,

You're severely underestimating the Big 12, they were the better conference based on amount of teams making it to Regional play (should have been seven, OU was robbed) and RPI.  And remember, OSU was only the fourth or fifth best team in the conference.  As for the Big 12 results tonight, they only had a couple of losses (same as SEC), one of those being Texas who should still advance when it's all said and done.   

With that being said, it's not over for the Hogs, however their backs are officially against the wall.  We'll see what kind of magic Van Horn can pull out of the bag.

STRILE

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 03, 2007, 12:08:33 am
Quote from: STRILE on June 02, 2007, 11:55:29 pm
Evidently, you don't know much about how baseball goes if you think you can judge who the better team is in just one game.  Why do you think there are never single games palyed to decide who is the better team?

I'm not basing it off of just tonight, and I haven't seen OSU play more than just this game tonight, so I can't really make a judgement on them.  I can tell they are a good ball club, but I can't conclude how good from watching just one game of theirs.  Just because a team hits the ball well one night doesn't mean that they will the next night also.  That's just the way the game of baseball goes.

I know 100% for sure though that we are a MUCH better team than what we showed tonight.

I also know that you are hoping as much as I am, that we get a chance to play them two more times and prove that we are the better team.
I still think OSU is much better, but I hope they prove me wrong.  I would gladly take my crow with some beans and a nice chiante.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: arkyman on June 03, 2007, 12:22:08 am
Hogtropilis,

You're severely underestimating the Big 12, they were the better conference based on amount of teams making it to Regional play (should have been seven, OU was robbed) and RPI.  And remember, OSU was only the fourth or fifth best team in the conference.  As for the Big 12 results tonight, they only had a couple of losses (same as SEC), one of those being Texas who should still advance when it's all said and done.   

With that being said, it's not over for the Hogs, however their backs are officially against the wall.  We'll see what kind of magic Van Horn can pull out of the bag.
Maybe you're right, but I guess I always have a hard time shaking my SEC bias.  I guess I can have an SEC bias if ESPN and everyone else has one for some conference other than the SEC.  I just hope we can dig out of this whole we put ourselves into.  Go Hogs!

STRILE

It's gonna take a miracle.  But I thought we couldn't beat Wichita St in 04 too, so.........

Hums

Not to take anything away from OSU tonight, but if you say they are so great then why did they lose their last 6 games coming inot to regional? That is why they fell to a # 3 seed.

STRILE

Dunno.  But they were awesome tonight.  Scariest hitting team we have played this year. 

arklahoman36

OSU's achilles heal this year when they've hit a rough stretch has been poor starting pitching.
In the season ending losing streak, when they got swept Texas and when they stumbled in some OOC games they should have won -- the starter was usually rocked early.
In probably 75 percent of their losses this season, four or five pitchers were used in those games.
OSU has no true ace on the pitching staff and the relieve (especially set-up) has been inconsistent.

That being said, OSU has only used three pitchers combined in the first two games of the regional, which is a godsend for them.

Arkansas certainly isn't out of the regional, but if they get past Creighton, they're going to have to play like they did in March and April to beat OSU twice, or hope OSU has a meltdown (which they did against Missouri and OU in the Big 12 tourney).

If Arkansas pulls out the regional win, they probably won't see a team in the super regional or CWS that hits like OSU -- although if Missouri is hot, they can hit like OSU. In four games against OSU this season, Missouri scored 28 runs on 50 hits.

doc_hogiday7

anybody that walks into our yard and beats us like a stepchild is clearly the better team. This wasnt a 1 or 2 run game where one little thing might have changed the outcome, where the better team wasnt clearly defined....this was a good old fashioned beatdown. There is absolutely  no question who the better team was. Sorry boys Sterile knows what he is talkin about, and i applaud his courage knowing the right answer isnt the popular answer although i woudl disagree with the big 12 being the better conf.

There just is no way to spin that Arkansas has the better team, no way.

PorcineSublime

June 03, 2007, 06:45:49 am #23 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 07:57:35 am by PorcineSublime
Maybe they are the better team, maybe not. Their bullpen is definitely better. The best in the Big 12. Top to bottom there is no comparison, the SEC is a much tougher league. Not likely that Colorado, Kansas, or Kansas State would beat Georgia, LSU or Kentucky in a best of three.

I still am wondering how we got to this. What has happened to our bats the last half of the season. We have had too many disappearing acts and it puzzles me. As for pitching, we should own these guys. We have pitching talent. Part of it was the inconsistent shrinking strike zone, part of it was just a team that was not ready to go. Whose fault that was we could debate, but it remains a glaring problem for these guys.

If we were just playing a best of three series against these guys, I would like our chances. Unfortunately now it is a do or die series, with another game in the middle just to get to play them. Keep in mind that these guys have given up a few runs in the past. We just need Jobu to wake up our bats. Does anyone know where we can get a live chicken? 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: PorcineSublime on June 03, 2007, 06:45:49 am
We just need Jobu to wake up our bats.  Does anyone know where we can get a live chicken?
From what I hear there are quite a few Tyson plants in NWA. ;)

haugtime

What impressed me about OSU was their consistent and fundamental approach at the plate.  They have very little variation from hitter to hitter.  The difference between our hitters is like night and day.   We have a collection of long swingers, one handed swingers, leg kickers, wrist swingers, etc and so on.  Very impressed with their approach.

NuttinItUp

OSU was impressive, but we can beat them if we are on. We can even beat them twice in a row if we are really, really on.

STRILE

Quote from: PorcineSublime on June 03, 2007, 06:45:49 am
Maybe they are the better team, maybe not. Their bullpen is definitely better. The best in the Big 12. Top to bottom there is no comparison, the SEC is a much tougher league. Not likely that Colorado, Kansas, or Kansas State would beat Georgia, LSU or Kentucky in a best of three.

I still am wondering how we got to this. What has happened to our bats the last half of the season. We have had too many disappearing acts and it puzzles me. As for pitching, we should own these guys. We have pitching talent. Part of it was the inconsistent shrinking strike zone, part of it was just a team that was not ready to go. Whose fault that was we could debate, but it remains a glaring problem for these guys.

If we were just playing a best of three series against these guys, I would like our chances. Unfortunately now it is a do or die series, with another game in the middle just to get to play them. Keep in mind that these guys have given up a few runs in the past. We just need Jobu to wake up our bats. Does anyone know where we can get a live chicken? 
Yeah, we might win a series.  But, I am very pessimistic about winning a game against OSU with anyone other than Nick, Jess, or Duke starting.  They are light years ahead of us swinging the bats and in their bullpen.

TuckFexas

OSU was clearly the better team yesterday. Their lineup was very impressive. Jess didn't have it tonight, bottom line. It seemed like when OSU took the lead in the 2nd inning and we failed to answer our team layed down. We can't afford to do that again or the season is over (duh). I believe in a three game series that Hogs are the better team.

The Road to Omaha is lined w/ potholes and dangerous curves. We've got a 1/2 tank of gas to go about 300 miles on. If we get past Creighton today, it's going to take nothing but guts and will to get past OSU twice. Our bullpen is nothing short of scary. If Duke needs to pitch again today in the 2nd game at some point, that's what needs to be done. Their is no tomorrow w/out a win today. Jess was pulled early enough that I think we can use him tomorrow. It's baseball, anything can happen. I don't know that we have enough to get it done, but I sure hope we do.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

LisaHogbabe

I think if we are lucky enough to get past Creighton, then another round with OSU we are about to get into some slugfest. OSU's pitching is not real deep. so who's got the best hitting? OSU!!
When Nutt's time in ARK is gone, and we are back to the JackCrowe Danny Ford days, you'll then realize how good you had it. Someday, when you watch Nutt turn a perinial loser, an academic school, a sleeping giant into a bowl contender, a conference title contender, a bcs hopeful, then You'll be sorry the man you cried such hate and disdain against.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: STRILE on June 02, 2007, 11:53:37 pm
Our bullpen is terrible.  OSU hits the ball much better than we do.  Advantage OSU.  We might have two starters on their team, based on hitting anyway.
Quote from: STRILE on June 03, 2007, 12:11:59 am
Take your hats off boys.  They were better across the board.  They were the hungrier team.   Based on what I have seen, the Big 12 is probably the best conference in the country.  We were outclassed and outplayed.  I don't want to overreact but is there any chance we can get their hitting coach next year? 

You retard!  You change your mind about this team every week.  I don't think baseball is the game for you so go to the mmqb forum and chat with those piles.  please move to Oklahoma so you can spend time with your big 12 buds.
Do you have to call me names to make your point?  Low IQ?  I love the hogs, I thought they were unbeatable last week.  We are a 3 trick pony( Nick, Todd, and Duke).  If we have to win 4 games we are screwed.  You need to grow up and learn to tip your hat when someone gets the better of you.  Especially in your stadium.  They creamed us.  I haven't changed my mind about anything.  I am just capable of making an objective observation.

Your right on the name calling point, this forum is not going to turn into what MMQB has..  Can't agree with the other points you've made.

STRILE

Quote from: Hog1961 on June 03, 2007, 09:00:25 am
Quote from: STRILE on June 02, 2007, 11:53:37 pm
Quote from: STRILE on June 03, 2007, 12:11:59 am
Take your hats off boys.  They were better across the board.  They were the hungrier team.   Based on what I have seen, the Big 12 is probably the best conference in the country.  We were outclassed and outplayed.  I don't want to overreact but is there any chance we can get their hitting coach next year? 

You retard!  You change your mind about this team every week.  I don't think baseball is the game for you so go to the mmqb forum and chat with those piles.  please move to Oklahoma so you can spend time with your big 12 buds.
Do you have to call me names to make your point?  Low IQ?  I love the hogs, I thought they were unbeatable last week.  We are a 3 trick pony( Nick, Todd, and Duke).  If we have to win 4 games we are screwed.  You need to grow up and learn to tip your hat when someone gets the better of you.  Especially in your stadium.  They creamed us.  I haven't changed my mind about anything.  I am just capable of making an objective observation.

Your right on the name calling point, this forum is not going to turn into what MMQB has..  Can't agree with the other points you've made.
I appreciate your optimism, but just can't bring myself to share it.  Guess I am a glass half empty guy.  If we repeat last's night performance with the bats, we won't make it past Creighton.  That wasn't exactly a good staff that shut us down last night.

razorhead69

I have nothing. I am confused, angry, pissed.

STRILE

Quote from: razorhead69 on June 03, 2007, 09:22:01 am
I have nothing. I am confused, angry, pissed.
+1.  That is exactly where my head is this morning.  I do have a problem with obsessing, as a result I got a whopping three hours of sleep last night.  I just kept seeing walker's blank face at the press conference.  I want to see some anger from these guys.  OSU had an attitude last night.  They just pushed us around.

kcstar

I think that currently OSU is clearly the better team.  They are the best hitting team that I have seen this year.  They are bigger and stronger at virtually every position when comparing to the Hogs.  Even their big guys can run a little.

The Hogs simply have not had the offensive stamina this year and even though the starting pitching has been a major plus, the ineffectiveness of the bullpen along with the lack of offensive punch have been the Hogs downfall down the stretch.  After watching the Hogs a bunch this year I have concluded that we are very fortunate to have won the SEC West and this team simply was not as good as DVH had thought it would be.

Average or just above average pitching has caused the Hogs some major problems.  Too many called third strikes, too many three up and three down innings.

masonselby

if osu is so good then why did they lose their last 6 games?
"for christ sake im talking about bagging a sasquatch"

STRILE

I called it.  OSU was better, meaner, tougher, and more prepared.  I was disgusted by our performance.  I hope there are bigtime changes on the staff and roster. 

STRILE

Their hitting performance was merely a measuring stick for the things I mentioned above.  They wanted it more, worked harder, and therefor got more hits, which is the goal of the game.  To say that they were just a better hitting team is making it too simple. 

msudawgs64

Quote from: STRILE on June 03, 2007, 11:55:35 pm
Their hitting performance was merely a measuring stick for the things I mentioned above.  They wanted it more, worked harder, and therefor got more hits, which is the goal of the game.  To say that they were just a better hitting team is making it too simple. 

buzzer goes off, you lose.

The goal of the game is to actually score more runs than your opponent, not outhit them.  It is not uncommon for the winning team to have less hits than the losing team.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

STRILE

Quote from: msudawgs64 on June 04, 2007, 12:02:34 am

The goal of the game is to actually score more runs than your opponent, not outhit them.  It is not uncommon for the winning team to have less hits than the losing team.
ok, you got me on a technicality.  But I think you know what I meant.  The number of runs scored does, in most cases, reflect the effort a team gives.  Arkansas and OSU are comparible opponents.  OSU's domination is clearly an inidication that they out hustled, played, and coached the hogs.  No point in sunshine pumping.  It's true.

msudawgs64

yeah, just messing with you, I knew what you meant.

One thing about Oklahoma State, they have always been a hitting team.

Pete Incaviglia and Robin Ventura are two OK State greats that come to mind.

A lot of folks also wanted to say that this team was bad based on the past 6 games leading up to this regional.  Well the season starts anew with the regionals and this program traditionally performs quite well come this time of the year.  Hell the same could be said for State, we really stunk at the end of the season and on thru the SECT but like I said, it's a new season.

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

bigiron

Quote from: STRILE on June 04, 2007, 12:11:33 am
Quote from: msudawgs64 on June 04, 2007, 12:02:34 am

ok, you got me on a technicality.  But I think you know what I meant.  The number of runs scored does, in most cases, reflect the effort a team gives.  Arkansas and OSU are comparible opponents.  OSU's domination is clearly an inidication that they out hustled, played, and coached the hogs.  No point in sunshine pumping.  It's true.

I'm sure the pokes appreciate you as their newest fan.