Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just spent a week in Ohio, where they know a little about college Fb, AND

Started by hogsanity, June 01, 2007, 09:22:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

they think our fans are absolute jokes.  Not because of the whole MM ordeal, although they thought that was just funny, but just the general tone of the fans.  They think nothing of highly rated recruits from ohio leaving to go elsewhere, but they produce alot more of those type players.

I know most of you will act like you don't care what people in Ohio think, but I think they have a pretty decent program at ohio St. 

BTW, they don't think much of HDn either, but, they were quick to point out, very few colleges are completely or even mildly satisfied with their HC, unless they play in the NC game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Marmot

Let Ohio St. not make the BCS for nine years with the same coach and see what happens to their fans and the coach. He would be run out on a rail with the fans frothing at the mouth. I know some OSU fans, and I know this would be the case.

Its easy to criticize other fans and programs when yours is sitting pretty.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Hawg414

Quote from: The Marmot on June 01, 2007, 09:29:24 am
Let Ohio St. not make the BCS for nine years with the same coach and see what happens to their fans and the coach. He would be run out on a rail with the fans frothing at the mouth. I know some OSU fans, and I know this would be the case.

exactly.  hogsanitys point is so irrelevant it is... irrelevant.

hogsanity

They made that point about the coach, as I put in my post.  They thin all the uproar over the coach is nothing abnormal, only the ways in which it is being expressed ( Protests, shirts, etc ). 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

joebut18

Perception is reality, people...this type of perception is the consequence of the actions (FOI's, constant message board attacks, law suits, etc.).  All parties (fans & coaches included) look like complete idiots and the "Arkansas" name is a bigger joke then ever before.

The Marmot

Quote from: hogsanity on June 01, 2007, 09:33:20 am

They made that point about the coach, as I put in my post.  They thin all the uproar over the coach is nothing abnormal, only the ways in which it is being expressed ( Protests, shirts, etc ). 

They have no point of reference to judge from, i.e. they have never experienced what we have the last nine years and this off-season.

Once again, its easy to sit back and criticize...
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: The Marmot on June 01, 2007, 09:37:50 am

They have no point of reference to judge from, i.e. they have never experienced what we have the last nine years and this off-season.

It's also easy to justify your actions because your circumstances are different. 

Hogblog

They haven't had a coach with dale's low winning percentage since WW1. Their administration won't settle for sub .700 winning percentage............

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

hogsanity

They have a point of reference.  Cooper was their version of HDN.  He could beat up on NW and Ill all day long, but he seemed to always lose at the wrong time. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on June 01, 2007, 09:22:58 am
they think our fans are absolute jokes.  Not because of the whole MM ordeal, although they thought that was just funny, but just the general tone of the fans.  They think nothing of highly rated recruits from ohio leaving to go elsewhere, but they produce alot more of those type players.

I know most of you will act like you don't care what people in Ohio think, but I think they have a pretty decent program at ohio St. 

BTW, they don't think much of HDn either, but, they were quick to point out, very few colleges are completely or even mildly satisfied with their HC, unless they play in the NC game.

they ran a pretty successful coach (JOhn Cooper) out of town just because he couldnt beat Michigan.

Wonder how they would feel if Cooper asked for a two year pass and had to put up with sucky football for two years straight.

The Marmot

Quote from: hogsanity on June 01, 2007, 09:46:03 am

They have a point of reference.  Cooper was their version of HDN.  He could beat up on NW and Ill all day long, but he seemed to always lose at the wrong time. 

And they dismissed him... he did have 3 shared Big Ten Champs and 2 #2 end-year rankings.

Got this from Wiki... so take it for what its worth (maybe updated by OSU fans? hmmmm):

In January 2001, the Ohio State University dismissed Cooper. A loss in the 2000 Outback Bowl was a factor in his subsequent firing, as was negative publicity regarding player behavior before and during the game. Other contributing factors included the record against Michigan (which was actually considered by most people to be the biggest reason for his firing), a reputation of inability to win "big games", the lack of a national championship, the perception of him as an outsider by many alumni, the poor bowl game record, and finally a perceived lack of discipline on the team.

Sounds alot like the reasons many want Nutt gone... execpt for the player discipline problems. Sounds alot like our situations were very similar, except they fired their coach, hired a successful Div1-AA coach, and are now winning NC's.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

PCHogs

Quote from: joebut18 on June 01, 2007, 09:34:59 am
Perception is reality, people...this type of perception is the consequence of the actions (FOI's, constant message board attacks, law suits, etc.).  All parties (fans & coaches included) look like complete idiots and the "Arkansas" name is a bigger joke then ever before.

Absolutely wrong.  The perception these people in Ohio and around the nation have about the UofA football program comes from the drive-by national sports media not reporting what's going on accurately.  The drive-bys are reporting that the cause of this saga is a few hate filled fans who are trying to get rid of Nutt and Nutt is simply enduring it like he is some kind of victim, which is what Nutt would also have us believe.
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

granny grunt

So,  let Ohio walk a mile in our shoes and I would bet that they would make us look like "easy-goers"..... Very few universitys [if any] will put up with a coach for 9 years that has a meodicre record like Nutt.    
Alabama took care of their problem.   They may not have the answer yet,  time will tell,  but they are trying.... Nobody talking about them now....
Arkansas is trying to get a bigger rug,  so they can keep shovelling the shi!! under it...  everybody is still talking about this mess....and will until it is cleaned up!!

The Marmot

Its all about expectations... OSU kept theirs high regarding Cooper, got rid of him, and hired someone who would take them back to prominence.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

biggiepiggie

The coach before Tressel was fired for going 8-4 and to a Bowl Game.

Hollywood_HOGan45

At least Cooper was actually successful. His teams usually finished pretty high in the rankings.

We finish in the # 15 and some people (nutt huggers) think thats a worldbeater year.

This program has the ability to be a national contender. We should have done what programs like tOSU, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama have done and tried to move up.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: biggiepiggie on June 01, 2007, 09:59:22 am
The coach before Tressel was fired for going 8-4 and to a Bowl Game.

gah lee!!

How dare they demand more than just 8 wins and going to a bowl game.

Jiminy Christmas!!! You just cannot win with some people.

Everybody knows that its just getting to a bowl is all that matters.

dacskc

I guarantee that the average fan in Ohio doesn't care about or know the details of the Nutt saga. They know what they are spoon fed by the media, which for all they know, is the truth. I wonder how they'd feel if they found out that Tressel (sp) had authored a hate mail to their QB of the future under the pseudonym "Teresa Prewett". I'd bet they'd just file that in the "happens every day" category.

hogman64

they think this and they think that and they , they , they.......

Lets see, how many fans does Oho State football have?  100,000's  of thousands........into the millions?  and you talked to what  5,10.. wow maybe 15?.......and 15 that maybe read an  article or two on the subject, then got the gaps filled in the way you wanted to fill them in..........yea good point.........I can see I need to reassess the way I feel about this............

hogsanity

Quote from: dacskc on June 01, 2007, 10:08:31 am
I guarantee that the average fan in Ohio doesn't care about or know the details of the Nutt saga. They know what they are spoon fed by the media, which for all they know, is the truth. I wonder how they'd feel if they found out that Tressel (sp) had authored a hate mail to their QB of the future under the pseudonym "Teresa Prewett". I'd bet they'd just file that in the "happens every day" category.

Well, I was on a boat with these OSU fans for 12 hrs a day for 4 days, we filled them in on ALL of the details.  They had hard about the email, protests, FOI, and the rest. 2 of the guys I was with are die hard TN fans, so they were more than eager to tell all.

rocksalt

I don't care what people in Ohio think, we need to take care of our program - not theirs.  What it will take to get Ohio a conference championship and what it will take to get Arkansas a conference championship will be two completely different processes.  Notice I didn't say BCS or NC.  Our current HC is not geared for those.
It's a Mother-In-Law defense - Constant Pressure and Harrassment.   J. Pelphrey

We are on the "Highway to Hellphrey"...  "40 minutes of Hellphrey" !      Hogfans

Choctaw Hog

You're right, I don't care what people in Ohio say about Hog fans.  I just spent some time talking to friends and relatives in Oklahoma and they think Nutt is a buffoon and can't believe he is still the head coach.  So, what's your point.  Didn't Ohio State fire John Cooper?  I wonder if these informed fans would like him back?

dacskc

Quote from: hogsanity on June 01, 2007, 10:11:22 am

Well, I was on a boat with these OSU fans for 12 hrs a day for 4 days, we filled them in on ALL of the details.  They had hard about the email, protests, FOI, and the rest. 2 of the guys I was with are die hard TN fans, so they were more than eager to tell all.

So, YOU filled them in? I'm sure they have they whole story now.

Jim Harris

The people in Ohio also thought they were going to walk all over Florida.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ICEman

It will not take near nine years at The Ohio State University.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Sao Ming

Quote from: PCHogs on June 01, 2007, 09:55:06 am

Absolutely wrong.  The perception these people in Ohio and around the nation have about the UofA football program comes from the drive-by national sports media not reporting what's going on accurately.  The drive-bys are reporting that the cause of this saga is a few hate filled fans who are trying to get rid of Nutt and Nutt is simply enduring it like he is some kind of victim, which is what Nutt would also have us believe.

Does everyone understand that is is imperative for OUR media (print/TV and radio) to accurately report?  You media guys...are you satisfied with the inaccurate portrayals nationally?  Some of you call for a better program here, but refuse to address the issues via your normal mediums.  You are allowing the national portrayal to dictate the impressions in neighboring states such as Texas where recruiting is critical.  In essense, one could say that by sitting idle you are part of the problem.  Shape up.

Conway Cool Daddy

OSU ought to be wondering why they have stockpiled the NFL with players and only have
1 NC in the current era.

Those guys are chokers of the worst kind.

Frank and Swine

Again, let them go nine years without a trip to a BCS bowl and no hope of changing the coach and see what they resort to.

jamie72921

I have family in Ohio.

I can tell you, they don't CARE about the Razorbacks and most don't even know enough about them to have an opinion.

They certainly aren't more supportive of their team than hog fans or in any way more knowledgeable about sports in Ohio.

I really don't get why Sanity doesn't find another program, given that he is so embarassed by his fellow hog fans and seems to empathize with fans from other programs constantly.
Bless your heart

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hogsanity on June 01, 2007, 09:22:58 amBTW, they don't think much of HDn either, but, they were quick to point out, very few colleges are completely or even mildly satisfied with their HC, unless they play in the NC game.

That's rich, coming from a school that canned a coach with a record that would make HDN salivate.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=439

John Cooper had seasons of 10-1, 11-2, 11-1, 10-3, 11-1 and got fired while HDN acts like we should worship him for only losing 4 games last year.

little pigee

What do "Boat People" know about football?
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

cosmodrum

Well, if you have been to Ohio, you realize they are just as "backwards" as we are. You think our redneck women use a lot of hairspray? Any given mall, bar, etc, looks like a casting call for the women of St. Elmos Fire...without the looks.

I do not care one iota what they think of us. And as several have already pointed out, it's easy to say such things when you have played for two NCs in the same decade, and said decade is not over.
Go away, batin'

cityhog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 01, 2007, 09:48:43 am

they ran a pretty successful coach (JOhn Cooper) out of town just because he couldnt beat Michigan.

Wonder how they would feel if Cooper asked for a two year pass and had to put up with sucky football for two years straight.

I'll ask it again.  If HDN is such a great caoch why did no one want him after our 10 win season last year.  Ask ANY fan of any BCS school if they would want Hooten as their coach and I would venture to say the majority would say "he** no!"  Why are we then obligated to sit back and be happy with the joker.  Just asking.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: cityhog on June 01, 2007, 11:20:16 am
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 01, 2007, 09:48:43 am

I'll ask it again.  If HDN is such a great caoch why did no one want him after our 10 win season last year.  Ask ANY fan of any BCS school if they would want Hooten as their coach and I would venture to say the majority would say "he** no!"  Why are we then obligated to sit back and be happy with the joker.  Just asking.

because he says he love the helmet?

Albert Einswine

I live in central Indiana just north of Indianapolis and I can tell you that most of the people I speak with who know a little about college football think Nutt is a joke and Arkansas is an afterthought on the football scene. 

The reason we're an afterthought is that Nutt hasn't built a solid program and is a fairly lousy coach.

Now,  hogsanity,  I know you're going to say you don't care what people in central Indiana think,  but you don't have to live with them every day having them jeer you about Nutt's contract extension and pay raise, either.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

porkurina

Perception is everything but you must live in this nightmare to make a judgement.

The Marmot

Quote from: dacskc on June 01, 2007, 10:20:19 am

So, YOU filled them in? I'm sure they have they whole story now.

I think it has been shown here that the opinions of some OSU fans are completely irrelivant when judging us and our situation.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Stella

If they think he is not so bad, ask them if they will trade Tressel for him.  He sounds as popular in Ohio is he thinks he is in Alabama! 

BartIV

Was Arkansas ever taken seriously?

Biggus Piggus

I'm sure you had a representative sample

and they had a balanced picture of the story.

Right?
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on June 01, 2007, 11:01:57 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on June 01, 2007, 10:44:40 am
I have family in Ohio.

I can tell you, they don't CARE about the Razorbacks and most don't even know enough about them to have an opinion.

They certainly aren't more supportive of their team than hog fans or in any way more knowledgeable about sports in Ohio.

I really don't get why Sanity doesn't find another program, given that he is so embarassed by his fellow hog fans and seems to empathize with fans from other programs constantly.

Hogsanity is always looking for justification.  He essentially believes we can do no better since we haven't done so in the past 40 years. 

I have basically determined he's okay with challenging the status quo but not to gripe if it doesn't change since historically we haven't done any better.  I don't understand his thinking but that's okay.

It is not that I believe we CAN NOT, I believe we WILL NOT.  What goes on in any area of government in this state that makes you think we will do anything progressive?

RedSatinHog

Funny.  They had a coach (John Cooper) with a solid W/L record and winning percentage, but fired him because he could not beat Michigan on a regular basis, which in and of itself, leaves them with absolutely no reason to turn their noses up at UA fans.  Given that fact, it's understandable why they don't think much of HDN, but some of the stuff they ignore in order to achieve what they have is anything but funny.

Ask them sometime what they think of Andy Katzenmoyer not being able to read above like the third grade level.  It's the reason he declared for the NFL draft when he did.  He was going to have to declare a major, stop taking remedial BS basketweaving courses in order to remain academically eligible, and that wasn't going to float.

Why do I bring him up?  It is likely more common at OSU than anyone thinks.  Can you say Maurice Clarrett?  Woody Hayes?  Chris Carter?  The list goes on and on.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hogsanity

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 01, 2007, 02:30:28 pm

Funny.  They had a coach (John Cooper) with a solid W/L record and winning percentage, but fired him because he could not beat Michigan on a regular basis, which in and of itself, leaves them with absolutely no reason to turn their noses up at UA fans.  Given that fact, it's understandable why they don't think much of HDN, but some of the stuff they ignore in order to achieve what they have is anything but funny.

Ask them sometime what they think of Andy Katzenmoyer not being able to read above like the third grade level.  It's the reason he declared for the NFL draft when he did.  He was going to have to declare a major, stop taking remedial BS basketweaving courses in order to remain academically eligible, and that wasn't going to float.

Why do I bring him up?  It is likely more common at OSU than anyone thinks.  Can you say Maurice Clarrett?  Woody Hayes?  Chris Carter?  The list goes on and on.

What they think is absurd are the protests & FOi stuff.  They think wanting someone other than HDN is understandable. 

tophawg19

how the hell could they know what the hells going on . unless you have the type of info we have here you have no ability to make a decesion on anything much less judge the situation . so they just need to shut the hell up. when we want their opinion we'll call until then who really gives a damn what they think.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pork Twain

I have been all over the world and most people I talk to feel the same.  People that are stuck inside the state just do not get it.  National perception counts.  See the search for a baxketball coach and now think how hard it could be to find an AD after all the drama that came out.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: hogsanityNot because of the whole MM ordeal, although they thought that was just funny, but just the general tone of the fans.

What does "general tone of the fans" even mean?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 01, 2007, 02:37:07 pm
how the hell could they know what the hells going on . unless you have the type of info we have here you have no ability to make a decesion on anything much less judge the situation . so they just need to shut the hell up. when we want their opinion we'll call until then who really gives a damn what they think.
Just because someone says it is true, does not make it true...  They have the same access to the info we do but a lot here believe anything they hear and are quick to join the mob, damn the cost.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on June 01, 2007, 02:41:20 pm
Quote from: hogsanityNot because of the whole MM ordeal, although they thought that was just funny, but just the general tone of the fans.

What does "general tone of the fans" even mean?

The "well, the shirts did not work, so lets protest, well that did not work, so lets FOI some records, well that did not work, so lets file a lawsuit, etc" tone.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: hogsanity
The "well, the shirts did not work, so lets protest, well that did not work, so lets FOI some records, well that did not work, so lets file a lawsuit, etc" tone.

What is your opinion on all of that?

I do know that the shirts had nothing to do with the "protest" which had nothing to do with the FOIs which had nothing to do with the lawsuit.

It sounds to me like A LOT of different people are angry about something.

If ALL of those events were tied together, then you (they) might be on to something.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.