Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if Tx Hs kids never left Texas, or Fla kids never left Fla

Started by hogsanity, May 23, 2007, 08:27:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Seaton

Nice excuse, but with a state the size of 2.5 million, Arkansas cannot afford to lose any prospects. That argument doesn't make any sense, you can't compare Arkansas with those other states.

hogsanity

Quote from: philip.seaton on May 23, 2007, 03:28:51 pm
Nice excuse, but with a state the size of 2.5 million, Arkansas cannot afford to lose any prospects. That argument doesn't make any sense, you can't compare Arkansas with those other states.

But here is the HUGE difference.  Texas COULD filed a winning team with just in state players.  So could LSU, Bama, Ga, Fl, FSU, USC, Miami, UCLA, Ohio St, Penn St.  If all we had were in staters, we would be, well, we would be ASU.

My argument is too much emphasis is put on the in state kids, and not nearly enough effort on recruiting nationally.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cbjagman

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 12:05:07 pm
Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2007, 11:49:45 am
The state of Texas produces more highly recruited, BCS conference caliber prospects than its BCS conference programs can sign.  The state of Florida does likewise, as does California.

The state of Arkansas does not.

On the other hand, the state of Arkansas only has one major, BCS conference program within its borders...while Texas, Florida, and California have three or four big time schools among which to divide prospects' loyalties.

Bob Stoops has overcome the "disadvantages" of coaching in a state that does not produce an overabundance of big time high school talent.  Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson did the same before him.  Howard Schnellenberger, Gary Gibbs, and John Blake were unable to duplicate their more successful colleagues' success.

Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne did the same in Nebraska.  Frank Solich was moderately successful, while the jury remains out on whether Bill Callahan will be able to build a national power in Lincoln.

Some coaches have it, others don't.  Winners smile and tell jokes, while losers make excuses. 

Yep Osborne did it by RUNNING THE BALL.  WHY?  Because it is easier to get linmen and Rb's than it is to get the type of Wr's and Qb's you need to make a passing game work. 
I believe it also had something to do with Osborne's general approach to the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: cbjagman on May 23, 2007, 03:42:20 pm
The state of Texas produces more highly recruited, BCS conference caliber prospects than its BCS conference programs can sign.  The state of Florida does likewise, as does California.

On the other hand, the state of Arkansas only has one major, BCS conference program within its borders...while Texas, Florida, and California have three or four big time schools among which to divide prospects' loyalties.

Bob Stoops has overcome the "disadvantages" of coaching in a state that does not produce an overabundance of big time high school talent.  Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson did the same before him.  Howard Schnellenberger, Gary Gibbs, and John Blake were unable to duplicate their more successful colleagues' success.

Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne did the same in Nebraska.  Frank Solich was moderately successful, while the jury remains out on whether Bill Callahan will be able to build a national power in Lincoln.

Some coaches have it, others don't.  Winners smile and tell jokes, while losers make excuses. 

Yep Osborne did it by RUNNING THE BALL.  WHY?  Because it is easier to get linmen and Rb's than it is to get the type of Wr's and Qb's you need to make a passing game work. 
I believe it also had something to do with Osborne's general approach to the game.

His general approach was to stockpile linemen, and have big fast tail backs. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: cbjagman on May 23, 2007, 03:42:20 pm

Not to mention the fact that Osborne never preached that he was going to pass the ball more before every season, and then fail to do so every season.  I am pretty sure Osborne didnt lose championships because his team was totally incapable of running a 2 minute offense or completing  a dump pass for a 4th down conversion.

PulledPork

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 03:38:04 pm

But here is the HUGE difference.  Texas COULD filed a winning team with just in state players.  So could LSU, Bama, Ga, Fl, FSU, USC, Miami, UCLA, Ohio St, Penn St.  If all we had were in staters, we would be, well, we would be ASU.

My argument is too much emphasis is put on the in state kids, and not nearly enough effort on recruiting nationally.
simple premise hogsanity....keep the top talent at home, recruit "nationally" to fill the voids left for lack of high numbers of instate "top notch" talent, and let the ASU's and UCA's get the left-overs.  Now is that so hard to do??  If you're hooty it is.

Pulled out...

EastexHawg

Tom Osborne won three national championships in four years...and he played for several others.  He also never won fewer than nine games in a season during his 25 years as a head coach, won 13 conference championships, and once went 60-3 over a five year stretch...an NCAA record average of 12 wins per season. So, obviously, whatever he was doing WORKED.

When Nutt starts losing heartbreakers to the Florida States and Miamis of the world for national championships in Orange and Sugar Bowls...then stomping mudholes in SEC teams (42-17 vs. Tennessee, 62-24 vs. Spurrier and Florida) in BCS bowl games to win national titles of his own...maybe we can talk about how his theories must be sound because they are similar to Osborne's.

Until then, I think anyone who mentions Tom Osborne and Houston Nutt in the same breath should have his lips stapled shut at the least...and probably have the word "MORON" branded across his forehead at the most...just so people with so much as a thimble full of brains will know to steer clear of him.

Purple Tiger

OU and Nebraska built their programs playing in the Big Eight which was really OU and Nebraska. OU had Dallas as a recruiting base, Nebraska had their pick of players in the plains states. Football programs on the other conference schools have poor recruiting bases and hadlittle success recruiting out of state players. Arkansas' coaches became dumber when they joined SEC where every school emphasises football. HS football in Arkansas is on par with that of Big 12 states excluding Texas but way below that of SEC states. Arkansas does an amazing job being competitive in the SEC considering the obstacles they deal with. 

cbjagman

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2007, 04:03:21 pm
Tom Osborne won three national championships in four years...and he played for several others.  He also never won fewer than nine games in a season during his 25 years as a head coach, won 13 conference championships, and once went 60-3 over a five year stretch...an NCAA record average of 12 wins per season. So, obviously, whatever he was doing WORKED.

When Nutt starts losing heartbreakers to the Florida States and Miamis of the world for national championships in Orange and Sugar Bowls...then stomping mudholes in SEC teams (42-17 vs. Tennessee, 62-24 vs. Spurrier and Florida) in BCS bowl games to win national titles of his own...maybe we can talk about how his theories must be sound because they are similar to Osborne's.

Until then, I think anyone who mentions Tom Osborne and Houston Nutt in the same breath should have his lips stapled shut at the least...and probably have the word "MORON" branded across his forehead at the most...just so people with so much as a thimble full of brains will know to steer clear of him.
That's a pretty nasty thing to say there, EastexHawg. While Osborne may have had a far better record up to this point, he was never PERFECT the way ole Dale is. My gosh, don't you realize what a treasure we have in "numb Nutts"? Man, you don't get any more astute and brilliant when it comes to play calling, judging and recruiting talent and developing qbs than Houston. Not only that, he's really mastered the art of texting which will come in really handy in a few months when it becomes outlawed by the NCAA for recruiting purposes. Truly HDN is a "precious" as the football he and his coach teach with.

hogsanity

Quote from: PulledPork on May 23, 2007, 04:01:48 pm

simple premise hogsanity....keep the top talent at home, recruit "nationally" to fill the voids left for lack of high numbers of instate "top notch" talent, and let the ASU's and UCA's get the left-overs.  Now is that so hard to do??  If you're hooty it is.

Pulled out...

Sure, and you get just what we have gotten.  A thin team with a few SEC types and then a bunch of guys just not quite on the level of SEC play needed to win consistently. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Purple Tiger on May 23, 2007, 04:18:04 pm
OU and Nebraska built their programs playing in the Big Eight which was really OU and Nebraska. 

1995:  Florida 34, Arkansas 3. 
          Nebraska 62, Florida 24

1997:  Tennessee 30, Arkansas 22
          Nebraska 42, Tennessee 17

Yeah, Nebraska's success in comparison to Arkansas' can easily be explained away because the Huskers only had to play Oklahoma every year...while Arkansas was playing in the SEC, a collection of superpowers so formidable and devastating that it's a wonder NATO hasn't extended the conference an invitation to join.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2007, 04:03:21 pm

LOL.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:27:30 am
or Louisiana kids never left Louisiana?  College Fb would be a lot different.  Seriously, imagine if the top 100 kids in Texas all stayed in state.  It would change the face of college football.  College football, as a whole, needs kids to leave their home states and spread the talent around, unfortuantly, that also means top talent, in states that may only produce 10 or so BCS calibre players, will also move around. 

Which would you rather have, a college football scene where no one ever left their home state, or one in which the talent does get spread around. 

justification at its finest.  good work hogsanity, I am now on your side.  since the 300 D1 players cant all sign with Texas, they have to leave the state.  Since we cant sign the 14 from arkansas we are on the same page as texass.  HUGGERS ARE NOT SMART
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

hogsanity

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on May 23, 2007, 04:55:08 pm
or Louisiana kids never left Louisiana?  College Fb would be a lot different.  Seriously, imagine if the top 100 kids in Texas all stayed in state.  It would change the face of college football.  College football, as a whole, needs kids to leave their home states and spread the talent around, unfortuantly, that also means top talent, in states that may only produce 10 or so BCS calibre players, will also move around. 

Which would you rather have, a college football scene where no one ever left their home state, or one in which the talent does get spread around. 

justification at its finest.  good work hogsanity, I am now on your side.  since the 300 D1 players cant all sign with Texas, they have to leave the state.  Since we cant sign the 14 from arkansas we are on the same page as texass.  HUGGERS ARE NOT SMART

Did I just say Texas.  They have Tx, A&M, Houston, SMu, Rice, Baylor, TCu, TT, UNT.

And, that was not the point, and you know it, but your obsessive hatred for one man overwhelms you in all area of your life. 

PulledPork

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 04:29:30 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on May 23, 2007, 04:01:48 pm

Pulled out...

Sure, and you get just what we have gotten.  A thin team with a few SEC types and then a bunch of guys just not quite on the level of SEC play needed to win consistently. 
which just goes to show you, Hooty is damaged goods and will never be able to get the best players out of state.  He is trying to keep our program afloat with what little talent we have and most of that is going out of state to 21st century offenses and defenses.

Pulled out....

Hogs-n-Roses

NATEHOGG216

as does your love for an egotistical selfserving piece of trash
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

malzhanista

You really need that fishing trip.
Really, really need that fishing trip.

NATEHOGG216

and yes, get me a meeting with your hero and I will tell him he is trash to his face

DezNuttstehsuq

I know this has probably been pointed out about your theory and its total absurdity but...

AR probably has about 10 to 15, maybe 20 legitimate D1 recruits per year,  TX and Fl probably number in the several hundred!  So please quit shoring up you defenses for HDN by trying this backhanded approach, its transparent.
It is, quite frankly,  absolutely essential that Ark. retain the top rated instate talent and over the last few recent recruiting class your boy HDN just blows ballz at it, pisses them off, mis uses them, runs them off or rarely finds a diamond in the rough.

sharks89

Quote from: gators_fear_dmac on May 23, 2007, 09:08:54 am

What if monkeys fly out of my butt?

They would stink and their hair would not shine,...
Go Hogs!

coachp

That is the way it should be!  Find out who really is the best.......Texas, California and Florida.......Hell YA! Okie could then just fade away.

MuskogeeHogFan

The majority then, would never see the field of play. So why aren't we bringing more to Arkansas? Inferiority complex?
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:42:45 am
Quote from: dqhog33 on May 23, 2007, 08:39:39 am
We would be in a world of hurt
Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 23, 2007, 08:40:40 am
The OU sooners would become the new Baylor of the Big 12 South!

Schools like OU, Ar, and tons of others need kids from out of state much more than they need to keep a few in state.  I AM NOT SAYING NOT TO RECRUIT YOUR OWN STATE. I am simply pointing out the fact that kids do leave their states, and how glad I am that they do. 

Apples and oranges and great try to deflect away from Nutt.  Texas and LSU can't sign all the talent they have in state.  Arkansas can't afford to lose the top talent from the state like we have.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Purple Tiger

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Chief Mac

Quote from: Purple Tiger on May 23, 2007, 10:08:18 pm
I don't think Arkansas kids are leaving in droves.

Really?

Mitch Mustain
Damian Williams
Bartley Webb
Zach Pinlato
Kodi Burns
Lee Ziemba
Brodrick Green
Slick Shelly
Bret Smith

Where do those HIGHLY recruited guys go to school?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Bvilleboar

% wise if Texas lost the same % of top recruits Arkansas did none of the Texas school would be a threat to win.
2012 the year of the HOGS

TX HOG

Fact is other SEC programs recruit big time talent from out of state.  Several that out-recruit us have most of their big time talent come from out of state. 

Chief Mac

Texas and LSU get the talent they want from instate and then look elsewhere.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 24, 2007, 08:45:50 am

When you can't even get the 5 difference makers from your own state, some emphasis better be placed on it.  If you can't convince someone an hour away to come play for you, what are you going to tell the kid in North Alabama?

EXACTLY

Silver Hog

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 24, 2007, 08:59:39 am
Quote from: Purple Tiger on May 23, 2007, 10:08:18 pm
I don't think Arkansas kids are leaving in droves.

For the last couple of years, the top talent has left.  Period.  Easy for you to say.

Sometimes before and sometimes after being Hogs.  We have a serious recruiting problem, and will never rise above being medicore until that problem is solved.

abraHAM_lincoln

If every division I program and Texas and Florida signed their full allotment of scholorships each year...there would still be many players left over....

..Unlike Arkansas..where even if Arkansas signed every Division I level player....we would still need a minimum of 10 other players to fill the 25 allotment.   

Point being...Arkansas can not afford to have top players every year, year in and year, out running out of state to play...especially to schools we play in our own conference.