Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if Tx Hs kids never left Texas, or Fla kids never left Fla

Started by hogsanity, May 23, 2007, 08:27:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

or Louisiana kids never left Louisiana?  College Fb would be a lot different.  Seriously, imagine if the top 100 kids in Texas all stayed in state.  It would change the face of college football.  College football, as a whole, needs kids to leave their home states and spread the talent around, unfortuantly, that also means top talent, in states that may only produce 10 or so BCS calibre players, will also move around. 

Which would you rather have, a college football scene where no one ever left their home state, or one in which the talent does get spread around. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TX HOG

DeltaBoy

The OU sooners would become the new Baylor of the Big 12 South!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: dqhog33 on May 23, 2007, 08:39:39 am
We would be in a world of hurt
Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 23, 2007, 08:40:40 am

Schools like OU, Ar, and tons of others need kids from out of state much more than they need to keep a few in state.  I AM NOT SAYING NOT TO RECRUIT YOUR OWN STATE. I am simply pointing out the fact that kids do leave their states, and how glad I am that they do. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TX HOG

In order for Arkansas to compete we need to keep the few D-1 prospects we have and get lucky with some out of state talent. 

hogsanity

Quote from: TX HOG on May 23, 2007, 08:44:04 am
In order for Arkansas to compete we need to keep the few D-1 prospects we have and get lucky with some out of state talent. 

No, we need to find a way to convince 15-20 SEC type players form out of state to come here, then, target 2 or 3 in staters. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:42:45 am

Schools like OU, Ar, and tons of others need kids from out of state much more than they need to keep a few in state.  I AM NOT SAYING NOT TO RECRUIT YOUR OWN STATE. I am simply pointing out the fact that kids do leave their states, and how glad I am that they do. 

I understand what your saying but the fact is Bob Stoops would be in Tears if the Ncaa said no more Texas boys for you!

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 23, 2007, 08:48:48 am

I understand what your saying but the fact is Bob Stoops would be in Tears if the Ncaa said no more Texas boys for you!

I agree.  If Stoops had to field a team with nothing but Oklahoma kids, he would leave in about 30 seconds.

DeltaBoy

With all the UA system Alumni we have it NC texas you would think we could do something to help open up the Pipeline to UA.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 23, 2007, 08:55:07 am
With all the UA system Alumni we have it NC texas you would think we could do something to help open up the Pipeline to UA.

We lost that pipeline when we moved to the SEC.  Used to we could tell a Tx kid he would get to play 8 games a year aginst Texas teams, 4 in the state of Texas.  And, if they won the SWC, they would get to go play on Jan 1 in the Cotton Bowl. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

We only want kids who want to be Razorbacks

Everyone knows thats the best way to recruit.

hogfan064

Your top 25 would consist of

Georgia, GT, Florida, FSU, Miami, UCF, USF, Texas, A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal, Southern Cal, UCLA, Fresno State, , Penn State, Rutgers, Ole Miss, MSU, Alabama, Auburn, UNC, NC State, South Carolina, Clemson, LSU

TheNuttlessFrontier

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:27:30 am
or Louisiana kids never left Louisiana?  College Fb would be a lot different.  Seriously, imagine if the top 100 kids in Texas all stayed in state.  It would change the face of college football.  College football, as a whole, needs kids to leave their home states and spread the talent around, unfortuantly, that also means top talent, in states that may only produce 10 or so BCS calibre players, will also move around. 

Which would you rather have, a college football scene where no one ever left their home state, or one in which the talent does get spread around. 

What if monkeys fly out of my butt?

Shocktheman

No argument here. . . I agree in general with your primary post.  However, are you trying to justify why is should be acceptable that an Arkansas prospect go out of state? It is America and these kids should feel free to go where they desire, but the Razorback coaching staff should make every effort to recruit the in state kids.  IMO, the HOGS can not afford to  let the majority of the in state talent to go elsewhere. 

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 09:01:21 am

We lost that pipeline when we moved to the SEC.  Used to we could tell a Tx kid he would get to play 8 games a year aginst Texas teams, 4 in the state of Texas.  And, if they won the SWC, they would get to go play on Jan 1 in the Cotton Bowl. 

You know this is a falacy right Sanity? more UofA grads go to work in Dallas then any other city in this country, this is TODAY right now. Sure our pressence as diminished but we could still get it back at ANY TIME, all they need to do is schedule games in Texas period end of problem, or more to the point TRY and get kids from Texas.

Btw you are also purposely missing a key point with regards to instate talent. Yes we need out of state kids, but every year there are 1 to 3 kids from instate that are "MUST GETS" as in they dont come around often and if the Hogs are to remain the professional football team of the state they have to get these kids to be hogs period.

All the 3 star etc dime a dozen kids in state we can live without, but the 1 or 2 "special" kids have to be signed period every time they come around.

HogNuttz

We wouldn't be as bad off as most people think.  Texas and Florida have how many D-1 schools?  About 8 each with 4+ BCS schools.  We would have State to compete with.

I would think Georgia and Ga Tech would be two of the best over a period of time.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:48:21 am
Quote from: TX HOG on May 23, 2007, 08:44:04 am

No, we need to find a way to convince 15-20 SEC type players form out of state to come here, then, target 2 or 3 in staters

That's why I say it's much tougher for a coach at Arkansas to meet ya'lls expectations. It's hard to convince the best kids in Texas.Louisiana,and Alabama to leave their state universities to play at Arkansas.  

HOGWILD_F4I

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 23, 2007, 09:08:43 am

Georgia, GT, Florida, FSU, Miami, UCF, USF, Texas, A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal, Southern Cal, UCLA, Fresno State, , Penn State, Rutgers, Ole Miss, MSU, Alabama, Auburn, UNC, NC State, South Carolina, Clemson, LSU

Year.. after year.. after year.. after year   :)

Choctaw Hog

The the smaller colleges in those states would develop strong programs because the "flagship" universities wouldn't be able to sign them all.  Teams like Florida International, Florida Atlantic, etc. would benefit.  Arkansas has a tremendous advantage because the Razorbacks are basically the "only game in town".  That's why it's so important for Arkansas to get the vast majority of the players they want each and every year.  Unfortunately, that's becoming more and more difficult because of the current state of Razorback Football.

Silver Hog

nobody remembers Hoosiers? 

I guess what would happen is the NCAA would split teams based on that into different divisions. Ark would become a DIV-2 team and compete on a level playing field with other small population states.  We'd still be competetive.

it would save recruiting budgets because we would only compete with ASU and UCA for players.

I don't think we'd be as bad off as you guys think.  It would put a lot more pressure to get a GREAT coach, to overcome the hurdles of less selection of players.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on May 23, 2007, 09:12:49 am

You know this is a falacy right Sanity? more UofA grads go to work in Dallas then any other city in this country, this is TODAY right now. Sure our pressence as diminished but we could still get it back at ANY TIME, all they need to do is schedule games in Texas period end of problem, or more to the point TRY and get kids from Texas.

Btw you are also purposely missing a key point with regards to instate talent. Yes we need out of state kids, but every year there are 1 to 3 kids from instate that are "MUST GETS" as in they dont come around often and if the Hogs are to remain the professional football team of the state they have to get these kids to be hogs period.

All the 3 star etc dime a dozen kids in state we can live without, but the 1 or 2 "special" kids have to be signed period every time they come around.

YEA, our grads GO TO DALLAS!  I dont see tons of TX, or A&M grads coming to Fort Smith, Fay or LR. 

Look above, I posted that we should target 2-3 in staters, those would be those "special" players.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 23, 2007, 09:08:43 am

Louisiana Tech.ULL.and Tulane would be much better,

311Hog

Something else i dont think you considered.

If kids in those states "had to stay in state to play college ball" dont you think some would just move to the state with the college in it they wanted to play for while they were still in High School?

I mean kids go to "prep" schools all the time in states they arent from nor live in.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: 311Hog on May 23, 2007, 09:12:49 am
With all the UA system Alumni we have it NC Texas you would think we could do something to help open up the Pipeline to UA.

We lost that pipeline when we moved to the SEC.  Used to we could tell a TX kid he would get to play 8 games a year against Texas teams, 4 in the state of Texas.  And, if they won the SWC, they would get to go play on Jan 1 in the Cotton Bowl. 

You know this is a fallacy right Sanity? more Ufa grads go to work in Dallas then any other city in this country, this is TODAY right now. Sure our presence as diminished but we could still get it back at ANY TIME, all they need to do is schedule games in Texas period end of problem, or more to the point TRY and get kids from Texas.

BTW you are also purposely missing a key point with regards to instate talent. Yes we need out of state kids, but every year there are 1 to 3 kids from instate that are "MUST GETS" as in they don't come around often and if the Hogs are to remain the professional football team of the state they have to get these kids to be hogs period.

I agree we need to keep as much of the top talent at home and by keeping Texas , TCU or TAMU on the Ncon schedule we would keep the pipe open.  Until Todd Dodge gets us playing UNT in Texas Stadium on a Home and Home series it is no use  in playing them.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

That would be a logical argument if we were grabbing the #1 and #2 recruits in those states.  But that is not the case.  Instead we are lucky to get the #50 recruit in TX/LA/FL.  Trading top 3 AR boys for other states' leftovers?  Not a good gameplan.

mword

Choctaw Hog

That's a convenient excuse the apologists like to use.  A quick glance of the LSU roster indicates they have 11 players from Texas and they don't play 8 games a year against Texas teams.  How do you explain that? 

311Hog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 23, 2007, 09:43:11 am

That's a convenient excuse the apologists like to use.  A quick glance of the LSU roster indicates they have 11 players from Texas and they don't play 8 games a year against Texas teams.  How do you explain that? 

Thats what happens when you win Real Championships.

351hog

Location would be part of it....LSU is less than 300 miles from the greater Houston area.  So a player can have his friends/family watch him play more often b/c its an easy drive, as opposed to having to drive to the UofA. 

blue

Exactly, and nobody talks about their recruiting base. As a matter of fact Arkansas has produced just as many if not more D-I players as Oklahoma has during the last ten years. I have a sneaky feeling someone like stoops would expose the past hirings of JFB, and the casual fan would be furious.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 23, 2007, 09:44:23 am

Exactly!  I've never been one to buy into having to play Texas teams or playing in Texas to get Texas players.  Just look at the rosters of some of the better teams and you will find a sprinkling of Texas players on several of them.  Florida State has 5 players from Texas and I can't remember the last time FSU played in Texas or against a Texas team.  They are playing for a coach and a system, not becasuse FSU is playing in the state of Texas.

Break & Run

Texas would rule the college football realm EVERY YEAR...probably go undefeated...EVERY YEAR
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

AFWarrior83

"MOST" top recruits from California, Texas, Florida, Alabama, Louisanna stay in thier home state. Arkansas can't afford to let their top talent escape like the bigger states. We usually get Texas left overs... (Not saying that that's a bad thing, just saying)
Hogville member since 2005.

Sao Ming

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:51:40 am

I agree.  If Stoops had to field a team with nothing but Oklahoma kids, he would leave in about 30 seconds.

The meat of your assessment as it relates to UA football is above.  Stoops knows what he has to do to compete nationally and succeeds at signing amazing talent from all over the country on a consistent basis.  Until a HC has that type of drive and pride here, we are who we are.  Let's face it, the kids would come if they were coming to play for a winner and those kids need to come from out of state for the large part.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sao Ming on May 23, 2007, 10:05:49 am
Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 08:51:40 am

The meat of your assessment as it relates to UA football is above.  Stoops knows what he has to do to compete nationally and succeeds at signing amazing talent from all over the country on a consistent basis.  Until a HC has that type of drive and pride here, we are who we are.  Let's face it, the kids would come if they were coming to play for a winner and those kids need to come from out of state for the large part.

I don't disagree.  That is exactly my point.  This program, the Uof A, the body of it, is going to be built from outside the state, with certain componenets coming from within.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: 351hog on May 23, 2007, 09:46:53 am

Location would be part of it....LSU is less than 300 miles from the greater Houston area.  So a player can have his friends/family watch him play more often b/c its an easy drive, as opposed to having to drive to the UofA. 

Obviously, Houston (5 of the 11 players) is about 300 miles closer to Baton Rouge than it is to Fayetteville.  It's about the same distance (within 30 miles) for the 2 players from Tyler.  The remaining 4 of the 11 are closer to Fayetteville than they are to Baton Rouge (most by 100 miles or more). 

How close is Tallahassee to Texas?  FSU has five players from Texas on their roster.  I believe more and more that players are playing for a coach and a system and distance is becoming less important.

budcampbellfan

The whole original premise is wrong.  What if all the 4 and 5 star Tx and Fla kids left their states?  That is the real question and is what happens in Arkansas.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

hogsanity

Quote from: budcampbellfan on May 23, 2007, 10:22:08 am
The whole original premise is wrong.  What if all the 4 and 5 star Tx and Fla kids left their states?  That is the real question and is what happens in Arkansas.

HMMMMMMM, lets see we lose MAYBE 4, POTENTIAL, SEC DIFFERENCE MAKERS from our state.  Many Tx or Fl HS have that many on one team. 

Purple Tiger

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 23, 2007, 09:50:51 am

Exactly!  I've never been one to buy into having to play Texas teams or playing in Texas to get Texas players.  Just look at the rosters of some of the better teams and you will find a sprinkling of Texas players on several of them.  Florida State has 5 players from Texas and I can't remember the last time FSU played in Texas or against a Texas team.  They are playing for a coach and a system, not becasuse FSU is playing in the state of Texas.

FSU would be good if they never left their recruiting base. The Texas kids are just a bonus.Arkansas does not have a strong recruiting base. OU has Dallas. LSU has Louisiana. Bama has Alabama.

Hawglover888

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 23, 2007, 09:02:55 am
We only want kids who want to be Razorbacks

Everyone knows thats the best way to recruit.

Leave it to you to take a pretty good thread and turn it into the same old rant.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Purple Tiger on May 23, 2007, 10:44:50 am
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 23, 2007, 09:50:51 am

Exactly!  I've never been one to buy into having to play Texas teams or playing in Texas to get Texas players.  Just look at the rosters of some of the better teams and you will find a sprinkling of Texas players on several of them.  Florida State has 5 players from Texas and I can't remember the last time FSU played in Texas or against a Texas team.  They are playing for a coach and a system, not because FSU is playing in the state of Texas.

FSU would be good if they never left their recruiting base. The Texas kids are just a bonus.Arkansas does not have a strong recruiting base. OU has Dallas. LSU has Louisiana. Bama has Alabama.

No doubt the FSU would be good without any other players from outside Florida but that's my point, a lot of players play for a coach and a system.  I'm from Oklahoma and I know the how effective OU recruits Texas.  However, OU recruits Nationally as well because players want to play for Stoops.  OU currently has 25 players on their roster from: LA (5), FL (1), OH (1), GA (2), NV (3), AZ (2), CO (2), CA (2), IL (1), MI (2), SC (1), VA (1), NJ (1), and NC (1).

EastexHawg

The state of Texas produces more highly recruited, BCS conference caliber prospects than its BCS conference programs can sign.  The state of Florida does likewise, as does California.

The state of Arkansas does not.

On the other hand, the state of Arkansas only has one major, BCS conference program within its borders...while Texas, Florida, and California have three or four big time schools among which to divide prospects' loyalties.

Bob Stoops has overcome the "disadvantages" of coaching in a state that does not produce an overabundance of big time high school talent.  Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson did the same before him.  Howard Schnellenberger, Gary Gibbs, and John Blake were unable to duplicate their more successful colleagues' success.

Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne did the same in Nebraska.  Frank Solich was moderately successful, while the jury remains out on whether Bill Callahan will be able to build a national power in Lincoln.

Some coaches have it, others don't.  Winners smile and tell jokes, while losers make excuses. 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2007, 11:49:45 am
The state of Texas produces more highly recruited, BCS conference caliber prospects than its BCS conference programs can sign.  The state of Florida does likewise, as does California.

On the other hand, the state of Arkansas only has one major, BCS conference program within its borders...while Texas, Florida, and California have three or four big time schools among which to divide prospects' loyalties.

Bob Stoops has overcome the "disadvantages" of coaching in a state that does not produce an overabundance of big time high school talent.  Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson did the same before him.  Howard Schnellenberger, Gary Gibbs, and John Blake were unable to duplicate their more successful colleagues' success.

Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne did the same in Nebraska.  Frank Solich was moderately successful, while the jury remains out on whether Bill Callahan will be able to build a national power in Lincoln.

Some coaches have it, others don't.  Winners smile and tell jokes, while losers make excuses. 

I believe you nailed it.  Arkansas does has some disadvantages, but we also have one big advantage, in that we are "the only game in town".  If Arkansas got the vast majority of our top players and compliment them with several top players from outside of Arkansas, I believe we could consistently be a Top 15 team.  If the right coach was here I truly believe we would get our fair share of top players from outside the state. 

There is also one other recruiting dynamic in play that is seldom discussed and that is the ever expanding direct flights into and out of XNA from major cities.  It may not come into play much but it may help some cases.  I just purchased a round trip ticket from XNA to New Orleans (leave on Tuesday and return on Sunday) for $283, including taxes.  XNA is no more that 30 minutes max to the Arkansas campus. 

hogsanity

Yep Osborne did it by RUNNING THE BALL.  WHY?  Because it is easier to get linmen and Rb's than it is to get the type of Wr's and Qb's you need to make a passing game work. 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 12:05:07 pm

Yep Osborne did it by RUNNING THE BALL.  WHY?  Because it is easier to get linmen and Rb's than it is to get the type of Wr's and Qb's you need to make a passing game work. 

Bill Yeoman at Houston had great success with the Veer also until defenses began to adjust to it.  Good coaches adapt, inept ones do not.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2007, 12:05:07 pm

He also had two qb's win the Heisman.

PulledPork

DeltaBoy

Yep Frank and Houston are full of excuses
1. We are the 8th or 9th rated program in the SEC
2. We can't get a Top tier coach at the UA.
3. Wait until next year.
4. We are working on the passing game this Spring ( last 9 years).

cbjagman

I'd rather have the Hogs keep all the in-state player they want and go get the best players out of both Florida and Texas. That way we'd be helping spread the top talent around.