Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David Lee or Malazahn??

Started by hogtastic14, May 22, 2007, 01:26:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtastic14

Would some of you really rather have Gus Malazahn than David Lee? Malazahn is a very good coach and has a lot of talent but Is David Lee not deserving of the job over Gus? Tony Romo paid for Lee and his family to come to Hawaii with him to the pro bowl. He said that he owed his success to David Lee. I understand many of you are upset because Malazahn got the shaft which I think the way he left was not right, but what I don't understand is how anyone can say Malazahn is better than Lee. Lee has been in the pro game and is well respected around the NFL. I for one think he is a great hire and support him 100% I understand many on here love Gus but he is gone now and it is not David Lees fault that some people would rather support Tulsa because of their hate for HDN

311Hog

Gus 10 outa 10 times and twice on Sundays.

Sorry but i dont drink the Kool-aid of a TWICE FIRED coach coming back for round 3 with the UofA, with only Tony Romo as his lone positive (unproven as in only a few games he could suck this year).

d1nonlyhogfan

Gus has had major success at every stop in his career, including the SEC. David Lee, not so much.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

rodkell

Gus - Hands down

Want to bet a grand that David Lee is not AP, Broyles, or Rivals Coordinator of the year ??

Silver Hog

Gus.

he did more in his 1 year here than Lee did in all the other times he has worked here.

D-Maczone

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:26:46 pm
Would some of you really rather have Gus Malazahn than David Lee? Malazahn is a very good coach and has a lot of talent but Is David Lee not deserving of the job over Gus? Tony Romo paid for Lee and his family to come to Hawaii with him to the pro bowl. He said that he owed his success to David Lee. I understand many of you are upset because Malazahn got the shaft which I think the way he left was not right, but what I don't understand is how anyone can say Malazahn is better than Lee. Lee has been in the pro game and is well respected around the NFL. I for one think he is a great hire and support him 100% I understand many on here love Gus but he is gone now and it is not David Lees fault that some people would rather support Tulsa because of their hate for HDN

You know better than to say anything positive about any of the coaches.  Haven't you learned?  :)

hawgrock

I will take the coach with NFL experience over the high school coach.

stormurr

head and shoulders, malazahn is 10xs the OC that Lee is, was, will be and or every will be....that is just a fact.

hogman64

If Gus's career takes the same direction that Lee's has taken.............the direction of going around in circles and being under an incompetent  like Nutt after all these years in the college coaching business ...............he will be long gone from coaching ......he will never turn into a retread like David Lee............

HogNuttz

I'm well respected at my job too so I guess I would be a great offensive co. also.

My point is this, well respected in the NFL or not, he isn't/wasn't respected as an offensive co.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

mword

spurrr

Right now I can't say cause I haven't seen what Lee can do BUT I think there is a big difference in developing a QB and running an offense. GM was a success , have to wait and see about Lee.

Choctaw Hog

Gus, hands down.  Lee has proven what he is capable or better yet, incapable of doing. 

Landonhog

I wish we had both, as it was intended. 

(Obviously Gus, if I had to choose one...)

hogsluvmud

David Le's been here before and couldn't get it done under Nutt or Hatfield. He was brought back because Mr. Integrity wanted to get rid of Malzahn. Lee's only chance at looking good this year is if D-Mac averages 200+ per game and Casey Dick gets run over by the trainer's cart.

bsking

gus has not proved anything.  The only reason everyone is saying gus is because they are the extremists wanting to strengthen their case against nutt.  high school is the only place so far that gus has been successful, and lee has been in the NFL.  NFL is a little bit of a step up from 5-A highschool football.

311Hog

what was David Lee's record at UTEP?

Flatfoot

Gus..........

David Lee has been here twice already.  If he was so great why did he leave?
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Choctaw Hog

Hogs fans have a very short memory.  David Lee was replaced at Arkansas to improve the passing game but now has has been hired to improve it?  Only in the delusional world of Nutt ball.

311Hog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 22, 2007, 01:39:48 pm
Hogs fans have a very short memory.  David Lee was replaced at Arkansas to improve the passing game but now has has been hired to improve it?  Only in the delusional world of Nutt ball.

lol no doubt.  I will always rather have the "up and comer" as oppose to the "never has been".

grizzlyhawg

Quote from: swisshog on May 22, 2007, 01:31:05 pm
Gus.

he did more in his 1 year here than Lee did in all the other times he has worked here.
David Lee went 45-15-1 and we had five consecutive bowl appearances. He  was made OC in 1988 and we won the SWC title in 1989

David came back again in 2001 and we won the SEC West. 

Gus watched DMac lead the team to  the SEC West title.

So actually no....

David was much more succesful than Gus was.....

but Gus did coach and Springdale and that is one of those intangibles that you can't coach or develop....you've either lived there or you haven't....

Yet I understand the attachment.  Gus likes to throw the ball and Ark has traditionally ran the ball too much. 

hogtastic14

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on May 22, 2007, 01:30:57 pm
Gus has had major success at every stop in his career, including the SEC. David Lee, not so much.

Ya Gus developed Mitch Mustain High school star and David Lee developed Tony ROMO NFL pro bowler.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: 311Hog on May 22, 2007, 01:39:30 pm
what was David Lee's record at UTEP?
He won 11 games total in 5 seasons.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

hogtastic14

Quote from: Flatfoot on May 22, 2007, 01:39:34 pm
Gus..........

David Lee has been here twice already.  If he was so great why did he leave?

hmm.....be an assistant for the cowboys or the QB coach for the HOGS???? Are you an idiot?

TheHogFan

Got to at least give Lee a chance this year, then we can decide whot he better choice is.

noprayerfornutt

As long as Nutt is there, it doesn't matter.

TheHogFan

Quote from: stormurr on May 22, 2007, 01:33:43 pm
head and shoulders, malazahn is 10xs the OC that Lee is, was, will be and or every will be....that is just a fact.
How is that a fact?

hogtastic14

Quote from: rodkell on May 22, 2007, 01:31:00 pm
Gus - Hands down

Want to bet a grand that David Lee is not AP, Broyles, or Rivals Coordinator of the year ??

I thought HDN called all the plays last year????????? Remember darksider, Gus never got to run his offense

bsking

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:45:41 pm
Gus - Hands down

I thought HDN called all the plays last year????????? Remember darksider, Gus never got to run his offense

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

They preach that all the time, but change thier stories when trying to glorify an unworthy coach.

HogNuttz

May 22, 2007, 01:47:01 pm #29 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:52:37 pm by HogNuttz
Quote from: grizzlyhawg on May 22, 2007, 01:41:47 pm
Gus.

David Lee went 45-15-1 and we had five consecutive bowl appearances. He  was made OC in 1988 and we won the SWC title in 1989

So actually no....

but Gus did coach and Springdale and that is one of those intangibles that you can't coach or develop....you've either lived there or you haven't....

Yet I understand the attachment.  Gus likes to throw the ball and Ark has traditionally ran the ball too much. 

Look at the offensive numbers under Gus and look at the numbers under Lee and tell me who had the better change.  There is a lot more than offense that goes into a team winning a league championship.  Nutt is paid to win championships, or try to at least.  Gus and Lee are/were on the team to run the offense.  Compare them by what they were hired to do.

Anyway you want to spin it, this is fact:
-Lee was fired/quit because Arkansas wanted to improve the passing game.
-Gus was hired to improve the passing game
-The passing game did improve under Gus, at least until Dick was made the starter again, and probably for the season as a whole
-Gus was forced out to bring in Lee (who was previously fired/quit so we could improve passing) so we could improve passing.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 22, 2007, 01:41:11 pm
Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 22, 2007, 01:39:48 pm

lol no doubt.  I will always rather have the "up and comer" as oppose to the "never has been".

LOL +1 to you.

Tomhog™

The reason I say David Lee isn't based on who is the better OC.  It is based on which OC fits in better with Houston Nutt's vision of the offense.  Right or wrong, he is the head coach and choses the direction of the offense.  I might not like the direction, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that if you have an OC that is on the same page as the HC, there will be more harmony on the sidelines, less confusion, and will be able to get the most out of the players.

I wish Gus would have fit in with the current staff, but he didn't and there's nothing we can do to change that.  Let's move forward with the new OC and see if the 3rd time is a charm...

hogtastic14

Quote from: HogNuttz on May 22, 2007, 01:47:01 pm
Gus.

So actually no....

Look at the offensive numbers under Gus and look at the numbers under Lee and tell me who had the better change.  There is a lot more than offense that goes into a team winning a league championship.  Nutt is paid to win championships, or try to at least.  Gus and Lee are/were on the team to run the offense.  Compare them by what they were hired to do.

David Lee was never here to "run the offense" he was a position coach

311Hog

Gus.

So actually no....

And what offense did we run in 1988 !? 

Mid Line Option.

Why again was David Lee hired?

LOL TO improve the passing game.

logical paradox anyone?

Mr. Hog

I'll take Malzahn if Nutt will grow a set and turn him loose.

We have all seen what Lee can do since this is his 3rd stint.

Fire the Dork !
Go Hogs Go!

Choctaw Hog

Gus.

So actually no....

Please explain the reason that Lee was fired, AT ARKANSAS, to improve the passing game if he was such an asset?

heathman

Lee!  Malazahn is a HS coach.  Lee coached in the NFL!

311Hog

Quote from: heathman on May 22, 2007, 01:54:09 pm

LOL so many suckers born in this country it is amazing. You guys can be sold and tricked so easily.  Attach a few letters to someone's name and all of the sudden they are a freaking coaching genius !

Lets forget he was fired because our passing offense sucked years ago BY NUTT.

HogNuttz

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:49:14 pm
Quote from: HogNuttz on May 22, 2007, 01:47:01 pm
Gus.

David Lee went 45-15-1 and we had five consecutive bowl appearances. He was made OC in 1988 and we won the SWC title in 1989

So actually no....

David Lee was never here to "run the offense" he was a position coach

According to a post I quoted, which is still quoted in this post, he was hired as OC in 1989.  Another point, at least they both worked on the offense, regardless of Lee's various job titles.  Compairing offensive stats is more relevant than comparing championships and overall records as neither had anything to do with defense, special teams, etc...

311Hog

I still find it hilarious that you guys are parading David Lee's SWC OPTION FOOTBALL championships around as a signal that he can improve our SHIETY passing game.

Ugly Uncle

Simply amazed that there are still people around that bring up this tired, illinformed argument.  Seriously guys...This has  been explained to you so many times.  Gus was the play caller, but it was HdN's system and play book.  Many times HdN took over the playcalling in critical situations.

I have to believe you guys are just being purposely ignorant, or trying to be funny.

Quote from: bsking on May 22, 2007, 01:46:35 pm
Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:45:41 pm
Gus - Hands down

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

They preach that all the time, but change thier stories when trying to glorify an unworthy coach.

Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

Gus is a Offensive innovator while Lee is an Option QB Coaching retread who was fired before by Nutt because he couldn't get it done. Now if you think a few years in a NFL Film room going to turn Lee into a great offensive mind you are sorely delusional.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

paraloma

May 22, 2007, 01:59:38 pm #42 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:04:10 pm by paraloma

[size=1000pt]IT'S "MALZAHN".[/size] 

There is no "A".

Plus David Lee has never been an offensive coordinator.  NEVAR.
Dallas Washington for Heisman

HogNuttz

Quote from: paraloma on May 22, 2007, 01:59:38 pm

There is no "A".

I guess 1000 was just too big.

BubbaHawg

Gus.

You know whats funny....is in any other thread you same guys will say Nutt called all the plays and GM only called the plays for one series against USC.  So how has he proven himself or done more?  I like GM and wish he was still here but you guys contradict yourselves so bad its stupid.

PigPusher

Try Malzahn.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HogNuttz

Quote from: BubbaHawg on May 22, 2007, 02:03:30 pm
Gus.

You know whats funny....is in any other thread you same guys will say Nutt called all the plays and GM only called the plays for one series against USC.  So how has he proven himself or done more?  I like GM and wish he was still here but you guys contradict yourselves so bad its stupid.

I think Gus called most the plays, but whether or not they were his plays is another story.  The offense improved either way.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: paraloma on May 22, 2007, 01:59:38 pm

There is no "A".

Plus David Lee has never been an offensive coordinator.  NEVAR.

Some folks give themselves up simply by the spelling of a name...

BTW, if David Lee was so crucial to Romo's development, why did Dallas let him go?  To a running team, no less!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

AlcoHOGic

Gus brought trick plays and some added motion thats about it. He called some good games, others you could tell he was a rookie coordinator. Fortunately for him he had Dmac, Alex Wood, and the Nutts to help him along.

MuskogeeHogFan

If not Gus, give me Mike Stoops or Mike Leach. At least they haven't been in the batter's box already and have two strikes against them.
Go Hogs Go!