Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Perfect Marriage?-Mike Leach and Arkansas?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 21, 2007, 10:23:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on May 21, 2007, 04:06:06 pm
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 21, 2007, 10:50:17 am
Reggie wouldnt like it for the same reason he didnt want Gus to run his offense.  Statistically that offense makes the defense look bad.  Its not that Texas Tech has a bad defense its just statistically bad because of the offense they run

And why do you think TT's offense makes the defense look bad? I would imagine you think that the strong passing game does not result in enough time of possession---thus putting the defense on the field too long?

2006, Time of Possession:

Arkansas......28:41--as usual, HDN's running offense LOSES the TOP. (98th in NCAA)
Texas Tech..27:42--about one minute= 3 more plays against their defense. (112th)

As usual, Nutt's offense is NOT clock-control. Anyone that thinks it is hasn't been paying attention. Typically, the better the Hog running game, the LESS TOP.

Reggie doen't like the passing game because he has his head in the same dark, smelly place that Houston does. And no, Reggie will not stay when Houston leaves.

Thanks for the stats Silvertip, as usual, you are right on the mark.
Go Hogs Go!

Nutts and Bolts

And TT does  what they do with scrubs and left-overs that UT, OU & A&M do not want.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Choctaw Hog

silvertip

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 21, 2007, 04:14:50 pm
leach=worse loser than HDN and with an attitude...............he sucks

Leach has a better career W-L% than HDN. Leach(4-3) has a better Bowl Record than
HDN(2-5).

If you're not a hugger, you share one prominent trait with the huggers = NOT KNOWING WHAT YOU"RE TALKING ABOUT.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on May 21, 2007, 04:22:05 pm
And TT does  what they do with scrubs and left-overs that UT, OU & A&M do not want.

That is very true. Talk about doing more with less? It might be interesting to see what he could od with a BIG budget in a big time conference, utilizing our great running backs and bringing some balance(in passing) to the offense. I still favor Mike Stoops more than Mike Leach, but Leach would be interesting to say the least.
Go Hogs Go!

Boardon Hamsay

Leach's system is entertaining to watch but I can't see TT going to a BCS Bowl with it.  They have no balance on offense, the defense is suspect to say the least, and they melt down against the Big 12 powerhouses.  They put up great offensive numbers but never seem to get great wins.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: rlh06 on May 21, 2007, 04:50:58 pm
Leach's system is entertaining to watch but I can't see TT going to a BCS Bowl with it.  They have no balance on offense, the defense is suspect to say the least, and they melt down against the Big 12 powerhouses.  They put up great offensive numbers but never seem to get great wins.

I can't see Arkansas going to a BCS Bowl under Nutt's system either and it's not entertaining to watch.  Huggers have a short memory as to why Nutt was forced to hire an OC. 

RazorRaider

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 21, 2007, 04:58:11 pm

I can't see Arkansas going to a BCS Bowl under Nutt's system either and it's not entertaining to watch.  Huggers have a short memory as to why Nutt was forced to hire an OC. 

Huggers have a short memory period. It is like they woke up right after we won our tenth game and procalimed Nutt as their god.

Totally ignoring all the previous years of his tenure here.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: silvertip on May 21, 2007, 04:25:35 pm

Leach has a better career W-L% than HDN. Leach(4-3) has a better Bowl Record than
HDN(2-5).

wow ---a better career W-L in the WAC-East-----not impressed......try again
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 21, 2007, 05:02:29 pm

HDN(2-5).

Surely you realize that they are not in the WAC?
Go Hogs Go!

malzhanista

Quote from: TX HOG on May 21, 2007, 12:34:10 pm
Would I rather have Leach than Nutt?  YES.

Would I be truly happy with this hire?  NO.

Strong post. And correct. Leach at least might overcome. Houston never will.

ilovepinebluff

Leach would be another Nutt, except instead of running the ball constantly, he would pass it constantly.

NWASooner

Offensive style notwithstanding, do you guys actually think you'll get a better coach on paper than Leach?

Don't hold your breath.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: NWASooner on May 21, 2007, 06:49:18 pm
Offensive style notwithstanding, do you guys actually think you'll get a better coach on paper than Leach?

Don't hold your breath.

Leach=no defense

No defense= no success in the SEC

Hugulus Hog

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 21, 2007, 07:13:31 pm
Quote from: NWASooner on May 21, 2007, 06:49:18 pm

Don't hold your breath.

Leach=no defense

No defense= no success in the SEC

In fairness, the Leach system would probably work as well as GM's Varsity Blues offense in the sec.

bphi11ips

The only usuable part of the street is the middle.  The right and left are the gutters.  Why would we want to trade a coach who can't create a passing game for one who can 't build a running game?

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 21, 2007, 09:30:17 pm
The only usuable part of the street is the middle.  The right and left are the gutters.  Why would we want to trade a coach who can't create a passing game for one who can 't build a running game?

go back and read some of the posts that have been made.

Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

So, Gus is your savior but you wouldn't "settle" for Mike Leach?

Other than Leach being a proven success in a major conference, what's the difference?

stronguard

No Gimmick or 1 Dimensional Offenses as our Primary Offense!!!!!

I'm tired of "system" coaches.  I think we deserve to have a truly "pro" style of offense.  No option's, veer's, run & shoot's or triple option.  Give me some different looks based on the strengths and situations.  Make coaching a chess match, and outsmart the opposition.

I want someone who has a well rounded vision of offense.  Someone who is dynamic.  Who can put the varied combination of talent that we seem to have each year in situations where they are most able to succeed.   
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Boardon Hamsay

May 22, 2007, 08:39:17 am #69 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:43:24 am by rlh06

Good call.  I wonder how the search is going for the new AD?  I haven't heard much lately but before we can send Nutt on his way after the season (unless Nutt wins 10+ games), we need to have an AD in place.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 21, 2007, 05:26:56 pm
Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 21, 2007, 05:02:29 pm

HDN(2-5).

Surely you realize that they are not in the WAC?

might as well be
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Landonhog on May 21, 2007, 11:38:06 am
Quote from: NWASooner on May 21, 2007, 11:36:40 am
As for the Mike Leach folds against good teams theory, that may be true but Tech played Ole Miss a few years back and lit them up like a pinball machine.

Who didn't?

Nice! +1  Ole Miss isn't exactly the pillar of football strength

hogsanity

Quote from: stronguard on May 21, 2007, 11:09:23 pm
No Gimmick or 1 Dimensional Offenses as our Primary Offense!!!!!

I'm tired of "system" coaches.  I think we deserve to have a truly "pro" style of offense.  No option's, veer's, run & shoot's or triple option.  Give me some different looks based on the strengths and situations.  Make coaching a chess match, and outsmart the opposition.

I want someone who has a well rounded vision of offense.  Someone who is dynamic.  Who can put the varied combination of talent that we seem to have each year in situations where they are most able to succeed.  

Problem is almost all of the "HOT" coaching names every year are "system" coaches. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOG RED UMP

wins over clemson/navy/cal/minnesota   and losses to east carolina/iowa/bama--------in the bowls

1 cotton appearance and a perennial no-show for the B12 conf championship game

weak overall conference-----compared to the B10/SEC/ACC and Pac10

no way is this an upgrade over HDN, regardless of the spin

stevenwayneslane

Quote from: NWASooner on May 21, 2007, 11:15:57 am
Houston Nutt regularly wins 7-8 games with a running game and no passing game.  Leach would win 7-8 games with a passing game and no running game.  What's the difference other than entertainment value?  Although, he would bring some expertise in the passing area.  OU wouldn't have had this success we did over the past 6 years if not for the one year Leach spent in Norman.

FWIW, I love Mike Leach.  He's hilarious and actually very intelligent.  He has a law degree from Pepperdine, I believe.  He has the best line from a coach ever.  After breaking A&M's heart yet again, he said "Sometimes a pirate can beat a soldier."  (This was after spending game week making fun of the Aggie Corps.)

Back to the issue at hand, though.  Mike Leach's offense and Houston Nutt's offense are just opposite sides of the same coin.  Last year the pro-Nutt people kept defending their high school offense by thinking the pro-Gus people were wanting a Mike Leach style offense.

A passing game entertains but balance and defense wins titles.
Since when does Houston regularly win 7-8 games a year. You need to look at his last three years here. I think Leach would be a great guy to get in here actually. Had been thinking that for a while. At least it would be exciting to watch.

stevenwayneslane

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 22, 2007, 09:28:06 am
wins over clemson/navy/cal/minnesota   and losses to east carolina/iowa/bama--------in the bowls

1 cotton appearance and a perennial no-show for the B12 conf championship game

weak overall conference-----compared to the B10/SEC/ACC and Pac10

no way is this an upgrade over HDN, regardless of the spin

I think with better caliber athletes he would do much better. I'm sure he wouldn't have excuses for recruiting like Nutt. Near impossible though to recruit down at Texas Tech. It is a hell hole.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: stevenwayneslane on May 22, 2007, 09:32:56 am
Houston Nutt regularly wins 7-8 games with a running game and no passing game.  Leach would win 7-8 games with a passing game and no running game.  What's the difference other than entertainment value?  Although, he would bring some expertise in the passing area.  OU wouldn't have had this success we did over the past 6 years if not for the one year Leach spent in Norman.

FWIW, I love Mike Leach.  He's hilarious and actually very intelligent.  He has a law degree from Pepperdine, I believe.  He has the best line from a coach ever.  After breaking A&M's heart yet again, he said "Sometimes a pirate can beat a soldier."  (This was after spending game week making fun of the Aggie Corps.)

Back to the issue at hand, though.  Mike Leach's offense and Houston Nutt's offense are just opposite sides of the same coin.  Last year the pro-Nutt people kept defending their high school offense by thinking the pro-Gus people were wanting a Mike Leach style offense.

Since when does Houston regularly win 7-8 games a year. You need to look at his last three years here. I think Leach would be a great guy to get in here actually. Had been thinking that for a while. At least it would be exciting to watch.

what's his average W-L since he has been here?

silvertip

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 22, 2007, 09:35:42 am

Why don't YOU tell US, what HDN's average W-L record is at Arkansas?

I would love for you to show us SOMETHING. If you're not a hugger, you sure act like one. Asking someone else to do the research to make your point, is a typical hugger symptom.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: silvertip on May 22, 2007, 10:20:17 am

I would love for you to show us SOMETHING. If you're not a hugger, you sure act like one. Asking someone else to do the research to make your point, is a typical hugger symptom.

just simply pointing out the 7-8 wins in the weak B12 is no improvement
over the 7.5-5 avg that ole HDN has here.......now I am more of a BD fan,
but since he ain't coming........

just saying....IMHO-----if we want to take a step up-----Leach ain't it.

noprayerfornutt

silvertip

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 22, 2007, 10:26:28 am

Congrats on coming up with HDN's averagw W-L record at Arkansas. Guess I'll have to take back a few of the things I been thinking about you.

Now, if you just hadn't said Tex Tech was in the WAC...

Yes, the Big 12 is not quite the conference that the SEC is. But then again Tx Tech & Lubbock aren't in the same league as Ark & Fayetteville.

Nutt lovers are fond of saying that HDN has a recruiting disadvantage at Ark & thus has to do "more with less." Well, same can be said about Tx Tech & Lubbock, even moreso.

And IF we have to do more with less than our SEC opponents, THEN the way to overcome that is with the PASSING game, not the smash-mouth running game.

I have no doubt at all that Leach could do better than Nutt at Arkansas.

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: silvertip on May 22, 2007, 10:44:50 am

Congrats on coming up with HDN's averagw W-L record at Arkansas. Guess I'll have to take back a few of the things I been thinking about you.

Yes, the Big 12 is not quite the conference that the SEC is. But then again Tx Tech & Lubbock aren't in the same league as Ark & Fayetteville.

Nutt lovers are fond of saying that HDN has a recruiting disadvantage at Ark & thus has to do "more with less." Well, same can be said about Tx Tech & Lubbock, even moreso.

And IF we have to do more with less than our SEC opponents, THEN the way to overcome that is with the PASSING game, not the smash-mouth running game.

not dogging you, bruther............I knew TTech was in the the B12----the original
post referenced my belief that the B12 was a significantly weaker conference
than the SEC in all respects--hence the WAC reference.   My disdain for Leach is
myriad.......smart alec, average recruiter, brings in many players with social
baggage that even UT, OU, and A&M won't accept, average W-L record   among
many things.........I realize that the wide-open offense he runs is exciting, it's
much like Super Division mens softball---lots of home runs and 55-50 scores.
.......I'm a defensive guy, though, and always thought that good teams generally
shut down Leach's attack........I will be watching with interest this year to see
if Meyer can duplicate his success at Fla next season...........

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on May 22, 2007, 10:55:22 am
Quote from: silvertip on May 22, 2007, 10:44:50 am

not dogging you, bruther............I knew TTech was in the the B12----the original
post referenced my belief that the B12 was a significantly weaker conference
than the SEC in all respects--hence the WAC reference.   My disdain for Leach is
myriad.......smart alec, average recruiter, brings in many players with social
baggage that even UT, OU, and A&M won't accept, average W-L record   among
many things.........I realize that the wide-open offense he runs is exciting, it's
much like Super Division mens softball---lots of home runs and 55-50 scores.
.......I'm a defensive guy, though, and always thought that good teams generally
shut down Leach's attack........I will be watching with interest this year to see
if Meyer can duplicate his success at Fla next season...........

Her's the rebuttal to that. Granted, Leach has run a "fast break" kind of offense out at T. Tech. He has never had the kind of backs we have here. I think part of the reason he has run the offense he has is because it fits well when you have a lesser degree of talent overall than your competitors and it gives you a chance. If he were at Arkansas, with the backfield we have, not onyl would they gain just as many yards as they do now, they would have more open spaces to run in and therefore, be taking fewer blows at the line of scrimmage. Additionally, he would find ways to get them the ball in "space" where they were one on one with corners or LB's. I think that is a good match-up, D-Mac or F-Jo one on one with those guys? I'll take that every time. The TE's would be utilized on slants behind the LB's and receivers would definitely know how to run patterns and find the "seams". He also knows how to properly utilize the "H" back and has already sent one, if not two, to the NFL.

His downfall is Defemse and he knows that so we would have to have an incrdibly strong DC to shut down the teams we play. But if we could find that magic combination, I can assure you, this guy could bring the Razorback fan base back together and bring an excitement to this state(I know we are all excited about D-Mac and F-Jo and the rest of the team for the coming season) that it has not seen in a long time with a diversified offense. It would be very difficult to prepare for the Razorbacks with all the weapons he would have at his disposal. I think Mike Leach would be a good fit, but perhaps the better fit overall, for everyone in the fan base, would be Mike Stoops at Arizona.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!