Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wildcat.......fulltime?

Started by Houston h, May 17, 2007, 10:54:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston h

May 17, 2007, 10:54:50 am Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:57:24 am by Houston hater
Given the fact that CD has limited mobility, a weak arm and terrible accuracy and a inexperienced offensive line........give me your thoughts on this.  Why not move DMac to the qb position permanently, running from the wildcat formation or shotgun formation, similar to that ran by West Virginia with Slaton and White.  DMac has a great arm and with time spent at the position, the offense could develop enough passing plays to keep the defense honest.  He is such a threat to run out of the backfield that I believe, the passing game would be wide open.  DMac at qb, out the shotgun....Jones at tailback and Hillis, Smith or Fish at a flanker spot along with Monk and a quality #2 and Cleveland at tight end.  I think the offense would be much more dangerous than having a immobile, horrible passer under center that allows the defense to key primarily on DMac. 

Boarsbreath

I don't know, we did pretty well last year with an immobile, horrible passer under center that allows the defense to key primarily on DMac.   

ShellHog

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 10:54:50 am
Given the fact that CD has limited mobility, a weak arm and terrible accuracy

Is it really alright to talk about current players on Hogville like this?   Are all those characteristics really facts?.....weren't CD's & MM's stats pretty much the same last season?   

Houston h

Quote from: Boarsbreath on May 17, 2007, 11:09:22 am
I don't know, we did pretty well last year with an immobile, horrible passer under center that allows the defense to key primarily on DMac.  

We did pretty well?  We went 1 and 3 with him starting!  LSU exposed him as all I described.  Want to rethink your last post?

Houston h

Quote from: ShellHog on May 17, 2007, 11:09:34 am

Is it really alright to talk about current players on Hogville like this?   Are all those characteristics really facts?.....weren't CD's & MM's stats pretty much the same last season?   

Mitch was 7-0 as a starter, Dick was 1-3.  Those are facts that can't be denied.  As far as talking about current players, are you kidding.  Every other post is about DMac, why can't we talk about Houstons boy too?

BartIV

I think without an honest passing game, i can't see this working. Man coverage on secondary and just keep eye on D-Mac and Jones.  But I guess i shouldn't forget Hillis or Cleveland.  These four together could make something special happen.

Boarsbreath

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:13:35 am

We did pretty well?  We went 1 and 3 with him starting!  LSU exposed him as all I described.  Want to rethink your last post?
I was talking about Mitch. With McFadden and Jones an average QB will be fine. I think the wildcat will be effective with DMAC, Crawford, Jones anyone they want to put  there they just need to mix it up, I think we will see others in the wildcat with Dmac as a decoy this year.    

StoernerJonesFan

Is it really alright to talk about current players on Hogville like this?   Are all those characteristics really facts?.....weren't CD's & MM's stats pretty much the same last season?   
We're not attacking his character or personal life.  This is a reasonable criticism of his playmaking ability.  Football banter if you will.

ShellHog

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:14:58 am

Mitch was 7-0 as a starter, Dick was 1-3.  Those are facts that can't be denied.  As far as talking about current players, are you kidding.  Every other post is about DMac, why can't we talk about Houstons boy too?

Who was 7-0...Mitch or DMAC.....who do you really think?   

Landonhog

Thanks for being fair to Casey...  He really deserves that...   ::)   Maybe his records should be next...  I smell and FOIA coming...

Houston h

Quote from: Boarsbreath on May 17, 2007, 11:18:03 am
Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:13:35 am

I was talking about Mitch. With McFadden and Jones an average QB will be fine. I think the wildcat will be effective with DMAC, Crawford, Jones anyone they want to put  there they just need to mix it up, I think we will see others in the wildcat with Dmac as a decoy this year.    

Mitch was much more mobile than Dick.  I agree that with the backfield talent we have we should do fine, I just think that with proper coaching we could capitalize on that talent even more.  We could potentially be the most explosive offense in the country!

Houston h

Quote from: ShellHog on May 17, 2007, 11:19:47 am

The record book says Mitch, I do believe he was under center.

BartIV

I think Houston plays too conservative for us to be saying all this. We are asking him to be creative in the play calling or playing style. I have never known him to be creative in this.

ShellHog

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on May 17, 2007, 11:18:19 am

We're not attacking his character or personal life.  This is a reasonable criticism of his playmaking ability.  Football banter if you will.

I see...they just seemed a little harsh for a SO QB still developing.  I guess the same could have been said fo MM's freshman year.  His accuracy was actually much worse than CD's....   

BartIV

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:22:58 am

Its like saying we could give the lose to USC as D-Macs fault because he got in a fight outside a night club and almost lost his toe.  If he were there full speed, things might be different.

ShellHog

I ask who you think?  just curious........

BartIV

Quote from: ShellHog on May 17, 2007, 11:25:04 am

Wins and loses fall on the backs of coachs and Quarterbacks, so I say Mitch Mustain was 7-0

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:23:22 am
I think Houston plays too conservative for us to be saying all this. We are asking him to be creative in the play calling or playing style. I have never known him to be creative in this.

Houston spent all his Creativity texting DB over 1000 during the season!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Houston h

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:24:42 am

Its like saying we could give the lose to USC as D-Macs fault because he got in a fight outside a night club and almost lost his toe.  If he were there full speed, things might be different.

That wouldn't have made a difference, USC was and is just a much better football team than Arkansas.  DMac at full speed would have probably had a good game but the outcome would have been the same.

BartIV

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:27:02 am
Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:24:42 am

That wouldn't have made a difference, USC was and is just a much better football team than Arkansas.  DMac at full speed would have probably had a good game but the outcome would have been the same.
I would say it could have been 35-21. Remember, Felix Jones lost a lot of fumbles in that game.

Houston h

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:23:22 am

Man isn't that the truth.  Why is it that we as fans can see what needs to be done with these players but the HC can't?  Same with Matt Jones a few years ago?  Houston has had soooo many talented players but fails each year to develop a game plan around those players.  Last year was an exception but of course, GM brought the wildcat to the table.

DEVIL DOG HOG

How accurate do you have to be to hand the ball off.  Watch out for a DMAC to HILLIS pass!
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

H&D

If you want to give D-Mac the credit for 7-0 then he gets the credit for the 1-4 that MM did not start.  The only glaring difference that I see is from the 7-0 and 1-4 is MM starting.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

ShellHog

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:26:00 am

Wins and loses fall on the backs of coachs and Quarterbacks, so I say Mitch Mustain was 7-0

The question is who had more to do with HOGS starting 7-0...MM or DMAC?  Pretty simple question.
--You say Mitch
--I say DMAC

BartIV

May 17, 2007, 11:36:42 am #24 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:40:32 am by BartIV
Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on May 17, 2007, 11:32:31 am
How accurate do you have to be to hand the ball off.  Watch out for a DMAC to HILLIS pass!
I imagine Marcus Monk would like to get in on the action with some passes. Thats why we need a qb with jones and dmac around him. Hillis and Cleveland on ends of front line. like a two tight end package or as blockers. monk outside threat. O-line is the big question mark.

BartIV

Quote from: ShellHog on May 17, 2007, 11:34:59 am

The question is who had more to do with HOGS starting 7-0...MM or DMAC?  Pretty simple question.
--You say Mitch
--I say DMAC
I guess we could just go back and look at the stats of the 7-0 games.

hawgaramus

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on May 17, 2007, 11:33:40 am

If you want to give D-Mac the credit for 7-0 then he gets the credit for the 1-4 that MM did not start.  The only glaring difference that I see is from the 7-0 and 1-4 is MM starting.

The glaring difference that you are talking about is the quality of opponents that we played.  In the 7-0 stretch, we played ONE team with a winning record, Auburn, where Mustain threw a grand total of 10 times in that game.  I think its pretty safe to say that our running backs and not our quarterback won us that game.   The meat of our schedule came at the end when we played LSU, Florida, and Wisconsin, all of which finished in the top 5 for the season. 

You can't compare Mustain's record as a starter to Dick's record as a starter because Dick played a much tougher schedule.   If you can't understand this, I can't really help you.

Houston h

I just think that with the wildact formation having a good blend of passes could be more productive that then traditional set with Dick at qb.  DMac is a threat to run anytime the ball touches his hands, so why not allow the ball to touch his hands every play?  I think Jones, Cleveland, Monk and Hillis would all benefit by this scenario. 

ShellHog

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:37:48 am

--You say Mitch
--I say DMAC

If your trying to tell me you really believe that MM had more to do with HOGS victories a/g Alabama, Auburn & Ole Miss than DMAC....then you win, I can't argue with you, theres no way---Your to in Love!!!

BartIV

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 17, 2007, 11:41:49 am

The glaring difference that you are talking about is the quality of opponents that we played.  In the 7-0 stretch, we played ONE team with a winning record, Auburn, where Mustain threw a grand total of 10 times in that game.  I think its pretty safe to say that our running backs and not our quarterback won us that game.   The meat of our schedule came at the end when we played LSU, Florida, and Wisconsin, all of which finished in the top 5 for the season. 

You can't compare Mustain's record as a starter to Dick's record as a starter because Dick played a much tougher schedule.   If you can't understand this, I can't really help you.
Well, then we should win almost every nonconference game with our cupcake schedule with C-Dick.

djgaffer

Given the fact that CD has limited mobility, a weak arm and terrible accuracy and a inexperienced offensive line........give me your thoughts on this.  Why not move DMac to the qb position permanently, running from the wildcat formation or shotgun formation, similar to that ran by West Virginia with Slaton and White.  DMac has a great arm and with time spent at the position, the offense could develop enough passing plays to keep the defense honest.  He is such a threat to run out of the backfield that I believe, the passing game would be wide open.  DMac at qb, out the shotgun....Jones at tailback and Hillis, Smith or Fish at a flanker spot along with Monk and a quality #2 and Cleveland at tight end.  I think the offense would be much more dangerous than having a immobile, horrible passer under center that allows the defense to key primarily on DMac. 

I think Casey is better then "limited, weak, and terrible". 

We pretty much saw the full time wildcat years ago with Matt Jones under center.  It was fun to watch at times, but I would rather not see it every down.  In order for the Wildcat to remain effective, we will have to have success in the base offense package.  We will have to have at least a threat of throwing the football.  If we don't develop that, we'll likely continue to beat up on teams that can't gang up on McFadden/Jones and lose to those teams who have the speed to contain them. 

I'd continue to use the formation on 3rd down situations and red zone situations as a change of pace.  That's about it. 

hawgaramus

May 17, 2007, 11:45:30 am #31 Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:47:36 am by hawgaramus
Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:43:30 am
I just think that with the wildact formation having a good blend of passes could be more productive that then traditional set with Dick at qb.  DMac is a threat to run anytime the ball touches his hands, so why not allow the ball to touch his hands every play?  I think Jones, Cleveland, Monk and Hillis would all benefit by this scenario. 

And if Nutt put the ball in Mcfadden's hands on every play and he got hurt, you'd be on here roasting him for overusing him and costing him the Heisman.

BartIV

Quote from: ShellHog on May 17, 2007, 11:43:53 am

--You say Mitch
--I say DMAC

If your trying to tell me you really believe that MM had more to do with HOGS victories a/g Alabama, Auburn & Ole Miss than DMAC....then you win, I can't argue with you, theres no way---Your to in Love!!!
Mitch Mustain to Ben Cleveland game winning catch for TD against Alabama.

PigsCanFly

Consider the competition. The 3 loses you cite were to top ten teams. Also, a key player (Hillis) was out with injuries.  Bad comparison.

Houston h

I will agree to disagree because it's clear who's side of this whole argument you are taking.  If you can't see the differences in fundamentals of MM and CD then you do not know football.  MM was running an offense that he had never run before, it was an offense that he was told before he signed wouldn't be ran.  Yet, he still managed a 7-0 record as a starter facing SEC teams along the way.  CD has been in this offense for 3 years now and still can't throw an accurate pass (3-18 vs LSU), still can't throw a ball through a wet paper sack and still can't move around in the pocket.

We will never know what MM could have achieved here but I will tell you this.  Had CD asked for and been granted his release, do you think Pete Carroll would have offered him a scholarship?   

hawgaramus

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:45:44 am

--You say Mitch
--I say DMAC

That was one play, and Ben Cleveland had more to do with that play happening than Mustain.  Mustain was also 5-15 with 3 interceptions in that game.  He had a bad game, it happens, especially to rookie QBs.  But you can't sit there and say that he had more to do with winning that game then McFadden or Jones.

This is really turning into a stupid argument.  No player single handedly won any game last season.  The players won together and the players lost together.  If you think that Mustain went 7-0 on his own, or that Dick single handedly lost the last three games of the season, you really don't know that much about football, or sports in general.

Houston h

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 17, 2007, 11:45:30 am
Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:43:30 am

And if Nutt put the ball in Mcfadden's hands on every play and he got hurt, you'd be on here roasting him for overusing him and costing him the Heisman.

White touches the ball every down at West Virginia, doesn't mean he carries it every down!  He hands it off and passes it as much as carries it himself.  I would want that same kind of mix and it would allow HDN to get all his skill players involved.

BartIV

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:49:27 am

I will agree to disagree because it's clear who's side of this whole argument you are taking.  If you can't see the differences in fundamentals of MM and CD then you do not know football.  MM was running an offense that he had never run before, it was an offense that he was told before he signed wouldn't be ran.  Yet, he still managed a 7-0 record as a starter facing SEC teams along the way.  CD has been in this offense for 3 years now and still can't throw an accurate pass (3-18 vs LSU), still can't throw a ball through a wet paper sack and still can't move around in the pocket.

We will never know what MM could have achieved here but I will tell you this.  Had CD asked for and been granted his release, do you think Pete Carroll would have offered him a scholarship?   
Pete Carroll wouldn't offer him a tuna sandwich, let alone a scholly.  At the end of the day Casy Dick is a good back-up QB for a Division I school team and that is it.

DEVIL DOG HOG

DMAC can throw to any receiver he wants to. He is a good QB but a better TB.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

BartIV

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 17, 2007, 11:51:21 am
Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:45:44 am

--You say Mitch
--I say DMAC

That was one play, and Ben Cleveland had more to do with that play happening than Mustain.  Mustain was also 5-15 with 3 interceptions in that game.  He had a bad game, it happens, especially to rookie QBs.  But you can't sit there and say that he had more to do with winning that game then McFadden or Jones.

This is really turning into a stupid argument.  No player single handedly won any game last season.  The players won together and the players lost together.  If you think that Mustain went 7-0 on his own, or that Dick single handedly lost the last three games of the season, you really don't know that much about football, or sports in general.
I was just saying it was the game winning TD. that all.

hawgaramus

You really don't get it, do you?  First, they had about the same individual stats for the season, and Dick's rating was actually a little bit higher then Mustain's.  They were pretty much interchangeable last season. 

Second, how can Dick have been in the offense for three years now when he has only been on campus for two years?  He has had less than a season's worth of starts, and has been through ONE complete spring practice.  His first season he ran the scout team for the majority of the season, and last season he mostly took second string snaps.  My guess is that Mustain has probably taken more snaps in practice as the starting quarterback then Dick has.

If you look at it objectively, they are about on equal footing right now.  That doesn't mean that Mustain won't end up being the better quarterback, but as of right now, they are about equal. 

Houston h

Quote from: Pignoramus on May 17, 2007, 11:52:28 am

Casey Dick is a very solid quarterback.  Replacing offensive linemen could be tricky, but I think Casey will do well.  The two Nathans will be good, solid qbs this fall, too.  And I'll take Casey's accuracy over you-know-who's any ol' day of the week.

3-17 with 1 interception against LSU is accurate?

BartIV

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 17, 2007, 11:57:18 am

You really don't get it, do you?  First, they had about the same individual stats for the season, and Dick's rating was actually a little bit higher then Mustain's.  They were pretty much interchangeable last season. 

Second, how can Dick have been in the offense for three years now when he has only been on campus for two years?  He has had less than a season's worth of starts, and has been through ONE complete spring practice.  His first season he ran the scout team for the majority of the season, and last season he mostly took second string snaps.  My guess is that Mustain has probably taken more snaps in practice as the starting quarterback then Dick has.

If you look at it objectively, they are about on equal footing right now.  That doesn't mean that Mustain won't end up being the better quarterback, but as of right now, they are about equal. 
Who was a true freshman? Mitch or Casey.

darth

Fwiw, urban meyer says wildcat is the perfect scheme if you have the players to run it.  He said it was the one offense that was unstoppable. 
But he seems to like a qb that can throw it too, more than guys like rich rodriguez.  No doubt rodriguez would run something like it with darren and felix.  Meyer might want a better passer, though.  (We'll see how Tim Teblow does this year.  He's pretty good, but he's no mitch.)

hawgaramus

Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:58:47 am

Casey Dick is a very solid quarterback.  Replacing offensive linemen could be tricky, but I think Casey will do well.  The two Nathans will be good, solid qbs this fall, too.  And I'll take Casey's accuracy over you-know-who's any ol' day of the week.

so 5-15 with 3 interceptions is accurate?  I guess you think Mustain has no accuracy then either? 

Why don't you stop focusing on his worst game and look at how he played over the course of the season?

Houston h

No I get it just fine, I said 3 years in this offense because he just went through spring practice again for the 2nd time after spending 2 years on campus.  MM had 2 a days and then his season started, that's it and what does it tell you about CD when, like you said, he was running the scout team and is now the starting qb.  Would MM have ever run the scout team?

I'll ask again, would Pete Carroll have ever offered a scholarship to Dick had he asked for his release?  He would laugh at the thought!

Houston h

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 17, 2007, 12:01:40 pm
Quote from: Houston hater on May 17, 2007, 11:58:47 am

so 5-15 with 3 interceptions is accurate?  I guess you think Mustain has no accuracy then either? 

Why don't you stop focusing on his worst game and look at how he played over the course of the season?

Ok, 1 and 3 as a starter!  MM was a true freshman playing in the SEC without the support of his head coach or any other coaches on the staff other than GM and still went 7-0! BAM!!!!!

hawgaramus

Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:59:08 am

Their classification has nothing to do with their game experience in this case.  Dick is technically a sophomore but he got a raw deal his freshman year when his redshirt was pulled, and then was hurt the following spring.  His EXPERIENCE LEVEL is about the same as a true freshman.

I don't know what kind of quarterback Dick is going to be this season.  He could be great, He could be horrible.  The bottom line is he hasn't been given ENOUGH opportunity as the STARTING QUARTERBACK to show what he can do.  I just think its a shame that hog fans are willing to write a player off before he is given a chance just because he's perceived to be "Nutts boy."

Houston h

Quote from: darth on May 17, 2007, 12:01:00 pm
Fwiw, urban meyer says wildcat is the perfect scheme if you have the players to run it.  He said it was the one offense that was unstoppable. 
But he seems to like a qb that can throw it too, more than guys like rich rodriguez.  No doubt rodriguez would run something like it with darren and felix.  Meyer might want a better passer, though.  (We'll see how Tim Teblow does this year.  He's pretty good, but he's no mitch.)

Yeah, well what does Urban Meyer know......oh wait, nevermind!

BartIV

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 17, 2007, 12:06:27 pm
Quote from: BartIV on May 17, 2007, 11:59:08 am

Their classification has nothing to do with their game experience in this case.  Dick is technically a sophomore but he got a raw deal his freshman year when his redshirt was pulled, and then was hurt the following spring.  His EXPERIENCE LEVEL is about the same as a true freshman.

I don't know what kind of quarterback Dick is going to be this season.  He could be great, He could be horrible.  The bottom line is he hasn't been given ENOUGH opportunity as the STARTING QUARTERBACK to show what he can do.  I just think its a shame that hog fans are willing to write a player off before he is given a chance just because he's perceived to be "Nutts boy."
It began when the Nutt boys wrote off "true" freshman Mitch Mustain (#1 Qb in the Nation out of High School) and Damien Williams (possible top 5 in the nation at WR).