Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU pushing against Thanksgiving Day game vs. A&M this year

Started by jbcarol, May 19, 2015, 09:37:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol.  Makes perfect sense..... no Thursday games.

Those Cajuns are going to be able to drink a lot more beer & corn dogs, at night & on weekends....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Chief Mac

They kicked and scream till they replaced the Hogs with TAMU, now they say they don't want to play on Thursday.

Suck it up buttercup.  You asked for it, now you reap it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25189377/lsu-ad-on-texas-am-game-we-will-not-play-in-tiger-stadium-on-a-thursday
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

PORKULATOR

You could always ask for that Hog game back on Black Friday if you want it, LS Eww.  I loved that game in that time slot.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

razorbacker3

No, now CBS will want to put LSU-aTm on Friday and move us to Saturday.

Mick Hogger

They should have known the Aggies were trying to replace their traditional game with Texas. It's pretty stupid to have a game on Thanksgiving night now with the NFL adding a night game.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Vantage 8 dude

Yep, ole TAM was so intent on getting LSU to move every game with them to Turkey Day that I think they honestly felt that just because THEY wanted it the Tigers would just fold and go along with it. However, as we see, and was made very clear from the "get-go" the folks in BR aren't interested in any way, shape or form of hosting a game on Thanksgiving, night or otherwise. The Aggies has virtually everything handed to them by the league the first several years in the SEC that the Tiger's refusal to play along with the rescheduling must be somewhat of a rude shock. Too bad, so sad. :puke:

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Mick Hogger on May 20, 2015, 02:16:22 pm
They should have known the Aggies were trying to replace their traditional game with Texas. It's pretty stupid to have a game on Thanksgiving night now with the NFL adding a night game.

It wasn't just TAMU that was trying to replace their Turkey Day game with Texass, but that's what CBS wanted as well.

LSU may be out of luck on this one.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogwild

QuoteAlleva said there is no chance the game gets moved from Saturday to Thursday under his watch.

"As long as I'm here, we will not play in Tiger Stadium on a Thursday," Alleva said. "I guarantee you that."

It is possible, according The Advocate, that the game gets moved to the Friday after Thanksgiving, a spot on the calendar where LSU has frequently played Arkansas in the past.

I posted this in the thread a few days back asking when the game with Mizzou would be?
My in laws had told me that LSU has refused to play any games on Thursday and the AD said they might have to play on Friday.  You have to figure that the Iron Bowl & FSU@Florida would be the top 2 choices on Saturday, leaving both us & A&M playing the 2 Tigers (one on Friday) the other Saturday night(?)

I wonder if the Egg bowl will now be on Thanksgiving?

Inhogswetrust

Of course LSU doesn't want it on Thanksgiving.........................that's their national corn dog eating holiday.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Doug

Why not do this?

Flip a couple dates/games around.

Hogs vs Aggies on Thanksgiving afternoon.

LSU Tigers vs Mizzou Tigers day after Thanksgiving. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hoglady

LSU agreed to the initial change with the understanding when the game is played at A&M it would be on Thanksgiving. When played in Baton Rouge it would be on Saturday. Now the network, the SEC and A&M are trying to strong arm LSU into hosting their home game on Thanksgiving, too.
This was probably in the cards the entire time, the powers that be just lied upfront - LSU just never saw it coming.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on May 20, 2015, 04:47:24 pm
Why not do this?

That would make too much sense and we all know that aggies and corn dogs don't ever make sense..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigdaddyhawg

Why not do this?

I think that would kill us playing the Ags in Jerry World... don't the 'Boys play Thanksgiving day games quite often?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawgtahm

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 20, 2015, 05:08:03 pm
I think that would kill us playing the Ags in Jerry World... don't the 'Boys play Thanksgiving day games quite often?
It would also kill the league designated east/west rivalry match ups, and we know they won't do that.

Laughing Hog

May 20, 2015, 05:45:33 pm #15 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:00:17 pm by Laughing Hog
Why not do this?

I've always felt having the only game on Friday, at the premium time slot, gave us all the football watching eyes and a recruiting advantage.

I think I did notice this year there were a couple of other minor games being played on Friday, but no real competition to take the spotlight off of us. I'd prefer to keep it that way to keep the recruiting advantage and general nationwide recognition.

:edit: Just saw we already got screwed out of the Friday game and we are playing the Meth Chemists on Sat. this year............ that really bites.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

HogWall Jackson

Bottom Line here, CBS wanted A&M and LSU because of the Number of TVs in Texas. LSU didn't like finishing their season playing Arkansas because we played them tough for a few years. We beat them when they were #1 when HDN was @ Arkansas, The Mallette-Cobi Hamilton Game, Casey Dick to London Crawford last Play Arkansas Victory. The Miracle on Markham with MJ's final pass deep into the End Zone Corner to Decori Birmingham to tie the game. We kicked a 35 yard Extra Point for the Win.

The Fact is that LSU felt they would finish better playing A&M and it would not impact their Bowl Selection like some of the losses to Arkansas. I am over it, just beat them when we play the game.

urkillnmesmalls

If we can beat them both like a drum next year, regardless of when their little game is played, it will be relegated to the "who gives a rat's ass?" game.  That's what I want to see happen.  We beat LSU handily last season, and there's nothing about their team this season that makes me think they are any threat to beat us this upcoming season.  TAMU...no way, even with their fancy new wide receiver coming back. 

Nothing says, "Screw you SEC," like dominating both of those teams.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

rljjr

Quote from: Laughing Hog on May 20, 2015, 05:45:33 pm
I've always felt having the only game on Friday, at the premium time slot, gave us all the football watching eyes and a recruiting advantage.

I think I did notice this year there were a couple of other minor games being played on Friday, but no real competition to take the spotlight off of us. I'd prefer to keep it that way to keep the recruiting advantage and general nationwide recognition.

:edit: Just saw we already got screwed out of the Friday game and we are playing the Meth Chemists on Sat. this year............ that really bites.

If I'm not mistaken it is always scheduled for Sat and then moved to Friday. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hog N Bama

Oh boo hoo. I dislike LSU even more after seeing their cocky AD telling the world what they are NOT going to do. You will play on whatever day CBS tells you to play buddy.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Mick Hogger on May 20, 2015, 02:16:22 pm
Bingo.  That NFL game, regardless who is it, totally dominates the ratings and the hype compared to whatever college game is on.  They may move it to Friday and move our game to saturday like another poster said.  That is not all bad as there are so many Friday games now also.  Over 15 games are played that day.  the key is the 111:30 PST time slot.  Maybe move it to a night game if LSU takes the day slot? 

NuttinItUp

Hopefully at some point, Texas A&M Aggies and the University of Texas Longhorns will be playing an annual game again.

This will allow us to have either LSU or Missouri on that weekend. Whichever we think is the bigger rivalry.

Hogarusa

The SEC should be smart enough not to play on Thanksgiving vs NFL games.  They will get beat badly in ratings every year.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

SamBuckhart

Quote from: NuttinItUp on May 20, 2015, 09:31:08 pm
Hopefully at some point, Texas A&M Aggies and the University of Texas Longhorns will be playing an annual game again.

This will allow us to have either LSU or Missouri on that weekend. Whichever we think is the bigger rivalry.
This game is a big deal in their state. Cant believe they would not want to play sippers on Thanksgiving. Money would be good too.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 20, 2015, 09:24:29 pm
Bingo.  That NFL game, regardless who is it, totally dominates the ratings and the hype compared to whatever college game is on.  They may move it to Friday and move our game to saturday like another poster said.  That is not all bad as there are so many Friday games now also.  Over 15 games are played that day.  the key is the 111:30 PST time slot.  Maybe move it to a night game if LSU takes the day slot? 

I'd rather play the game on Black Friday regardless of the team. The biggest t.v. competition on that day this year would be Baylor vs. TCU.

On Saturday we may have to compete with the likes of Auburn vs. Alabama, Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State, Ohio State vs. Michigan, UCLA vs. USC, Notre Dame vs. Stanford, Va Tech vs. Virginia, Florida State vs. Florida, Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, Texas A&M vs. LSU and Ole Miss vs. Miss State, among other regional favorites.

Lots of competition for t.v. sets on the Saturday following Thanksgiving.
Go Hogs Go!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: rljjr on May 20, 2015, 08:57:27 pm
If I'm not mistaken it is always scheduled for Sat and then moved to Friday. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I always remember playing the corn dogs on Fridays. For me there was always a conflict with trying to get my morning or daily attack in on the ducks and getting to a tv or to the game to watch us play.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Hog N Bama on May 20, 2015, 09:09:33 pm
Oh boo hoo. I dislike LSU even more after seeing their cocky AD telling the world what they are NOT going to do. You will play on whatever day CBS tells you to play buddy.

I hate LSU, but I give their AD credit.  I hate that TV dictates when football games are played, i.e. 11am kickoffs in Razorback Stadium because thats the TV time slot we had to play in.  People in Louisiana want to be able to eat and drink on Thanksgiving, then again on Friday tailgating, then again on Sat for all the other games. LSU's AD put his fans ahead of money and TV ratings. Hard not to give that guys some props.

PorkRinds

In the end, if the SEC and CBS schedule the game on Thanksgiving, LSU will play it.  If they refused, and I was in charge of it, they'd just forfeit the game if they didn't want to play it then.  Screaux the tigers.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on May 20, 2015, 09:31:08 pm

I'm betting that will never happen IF the horns say they want it on the LHN. Aggies would never agree to that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on May 21, 2015, 08:18:34 am
I hate LSU, but I give their AD credit.  I hate that TV dictates when football games are played, i.e. 11am kickoffs in Razorback Stadium because thats the TV time slot we had to play in.  People in Louisiana want to be able to eat and drink on Thanksgiving, then again on Friday tailgating, then again on Sat for all the other games. LSU's AD put his fans ahead of money and TV ratings. Hard not to give that guys some props.

From my experience in Louisianna that's ALL they want to do everyday all the time!

EastexHawg

Quote from: SamBuckhart on May 21, 2015, 06:13:40 am
This game is a big deal in their state. Cant believe they would not want to play sippers on Thanksgiving. Money would be good too.

A&M wants to play the game.  It's Texas that refuses.  They are POed about the Aggies jumping to the SEC so they cancelled the series.

I wish we would play Texas on Thanksgiving.  That would hack everyone off, especially the Aggies.  It would also be a game that would get immense regional and national hype.

OLDHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2015, 08:39:52 am
From my experience in Louisianna that's ALL they want to do everyday all the time!
Yea, and all they want to eat is CRAP they pull out of a stinking, germ infesting ditch. Pitiful people.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2015, 08:26:51 am
In the end, if the SEC and CBS schedule the game on Thanksgiving, LSU will play it.  If they refused, and I was in charge of it, they'd just forfeit the game if they didn't want to play it then.  Screaux the tigers.

CBS won't put it on Thanksgiving, ESPN would.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OLDHOG on May 21, 2015, 08:52:21 am
Yea, and all they want to eat is CRAP they pull out of a stinking, germ infesting ditch. Pitiful people.

Yet that catfish we like up here is raised in such a sterile environment.................................<sarcasm off>.

ChicoHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 21, 2015, 09:03:27 am

CBS won't put it on Thanksgiving, ESPN would.
Correct.  The Egg Bowl was on Thanksgiving night for many years.  Now it's a poor time slot for a college game because of the NFL.  OSU-Michigan, Bama-Auburn and a few other rivalry games used to be before Thanksgiving but TV has changed that also along with the addition of the permanent 12th game. 

hogoffate

LSU and Texas A&M.... to use an old Cold War analogy, kind of like rooting or either Russia or China to win a war against each other.  I hate them both.  LSwhoo wanted the Aggies so they got them...and they have handled them since their SEC arrival.  I don't see LSU playing it Thursday night. 

I think our A&M game could be a pivotal point in our season.  We need win that one in the worst way. Maybe just my hatred of a&m showing through.

jackflash

Maybe this is just a money thing. LSU might want more to play them

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I'm not too upset.

Aggies didn't deserve the slot.
We got shafted.
LSU got a gift.

And apparently, CBS got to meddle in sports tradition for $$.   
This wasn't a clean deal to begin with.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Kevin

when you take their money, tv will tell you when to play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on May 21, 2015, 11:22:20 am
when you take their money, tv will tell you when to play

And they need the money............................Due to budgetary problems they're going to delete the corn dog cooking and garnishment major. They won't be able to sign all those instate recruits without that major for their athletes...............................

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2015, 08:26:51 am

Better Idea: the SEC Commissioner should give them 3 choices:

(A) Play A&M on Thanksgiving Day
                       OR
(B) Play Arkansas on the Friday after Thanksgiving
                       OR
(C) Forfeit that weekend's game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 20, 2015, 07:14:39 pm
Bottom Line here, CBS wanted A&M and LSU because of the Number of TVs in Texas. LSU didn't like finishing their season playing Arkansas because we played them tough for a few years. We beat them when they were #1 when HDN was @ Arkansas, The Mallette-Cobi Hamilton Game, Casey Dick to London Crawford last Play Arkansas Victory. The Miracle on Markham with MJ's final pass deep into the End Zone Corner to Decori Birmingham to tie the game. We kicked a 35 yard Extra Point for the Win.

The Fact is that LSU felt they would finish better playing A&M and it would not impact their Bowl Selection like some of the losses to Arkansas. I am over it, just beat them when we play the game.
Played 'em tough for a FEW years?! Duh...how about amending that to being in a dog fight virtually every year!? Very, very rarely did this game end up with either team winning by more than a touchdown. And that, mind up, included the years when LSU was continually in the hunt for a NC.

Hogwild

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 20, 2015, 11:25:22 pm
The SEC should be smart enough not to play on Thanksgiving vs NFL games.  They will get beat badly in ratings every year.
or make it the EGG Bowl

Aggie96

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 21, 2015, 08:51:37 am
A&M wants to play the game.  It's Texas that refuses.  They are POed about the Aggies jumping to the SEC so they cancelled the series.

I wish we would play Texas on Thanksgiving.  That would hack everyone off, especially the Aggies.  It would also be a game that would get immense regional and national hype.

Not so fast my friend.... The strong majority of Aggies do not want to play them at all anymore, much less on Turkey Day. When we left we did want to play them, offered to play them at any point during the season and their reply was that their OOC schedule was full for a decade.

Now that their program is struggling most everyone I know is of the opinion to screw them and let them rot in their crappy conference that they have created by running everyone off that was worth anything because of their greed.

If you want to play them on T-Day be my guest. I would love to watch them get another curb stomp.
You can eat the Apple but don't Eff with the Corps!!! GIG 'EM!!!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Aggie96 on May 22, 2015, 02:29:32 am
Not so fast my friend.... The strong majority of Aggies do not want to play them at all anymore, much less on Turkey Day. When we left we did want to play them, offered to play them at any point during the season and their reply was that their OOC schedule was full for a decade.

Now that their program is struggling most everyone I know is of the opinion to screw them and let them rot in their crappy conference that they have created by running everyone off that was worth anything because of their greed.

If you want to play them on T-Day be my guest. I would love to watch them get another curb stomp.

LOL.
Actually, curb stomps aren't as brutal as what we did to them.   Ever hear of a Texass team with those types of offensive numbers........Ever?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 21, 2015, 08:51:37 am

I am of the belief that it isn't a good idea to play any late season OOC game against a P-5 opponent. Just stick to the conference schedule. That said, I want our Friday (Black Friday) game back, whether it is against LSU, A&M or Missouri. I think we received a lot of national exposure on t.v. on Black Friday because we were one of few truly interesting games to be played that day, and if you look at this years schedule for that day, it would still ring true. Playing on Saturday, there is a lot more competition for viewership.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2015, 06:21:12 am
I am of the belief that it isn't a good idea to play any late season OOC game against a P-5 opponent. Just stick to the conference schedule. That said, I want our Friday (Black Friday) game back, whether it is against LSU, A&M or Missouri. I think we received a lot of national exposure on t.v. on Black Friday because we were one of few truly interesting games to be played that day, and if you look at this years schedule for that day, it would still ring true. Playing on Saturday, there is a lot more competition for viewership.

I totally agree.  We got hosed on that deal.  I think people who really follow college football typically look at LSU as a powerhouse, and in most seasons they are at least considered as a viable NC threat going into the season, or at least in the discussion.  I think over the years, people had seen our game with them play out to be VERY exciting as a sort of "David vs Goliath" sort of game, and we have more than held our own over the years. 

Some of those games were college football gold and I think it was fun for some true CFB fans to see us try to slay the giant.  Classic sports tale.  I will really miss that Friday game every year...more than I thought I would.   :'(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 22, 2015, 07:55:20 am
I totally agree.  We got hosed on that deal.  I think people who really follow college football typically look at LSU as a powerhouse, and in most seasons they are at least considered as a viable NC threat going into the season, or at least in the discussion.  I think over the years, people had seen our game with them play out to be VERY exciting as a sort of "David vs Goliath" sort of game, and we have more than held our own over the years. 

Some of those games were college football gold and I think it was fun for some true CFB fans to see us try to slay the giant.  Classic sports tale.  I will really miss that Friday game every year...more than I thought I would.   :'(

Aside from entertainment, it put the eyes of a lot of recruits across the entire nation on both programs that day. Especially now, that would be solid gold for us.
Go Hogs Go!

NMMIHog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 21, 2015, 04:41:46 pm
Better Idea: the SEC Commissioner should give them 3 choices:

(A) Play A&M on Thanksgiving Day
                       OR
(B) Play Arkansas on the Friday after Thanksgiving
                       OR
(C) Forfeit that weekend's game.

Forgot about option (D) Make LSU play this year's game on Saturday with an 11:00 kickoff just to show Alleva who runs the asylum.