Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Steps for Pelphrey

Started by jbcarol, May 09, 2015, 07:31:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  14h 14 hours ago

Told that John Pelphrey cleared out his office at UF on Thursday. Doesn't look like he'll be asked back as UF assistant.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

razorbackcaller

Sorry to hear that. John was a class act. He didn't get the job done here but he was a good man.

I hope he finds work soon.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  14h 14 hours ago

Per terms of deals, if Pelphrey, Burno let go, can't lure any players they were recruiting to UF to new schools, unless school had prior [relationship]

Like Arkansas
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  37m 37 minutes ago

White on assistant coaches, confirms Jordan Mincy and Dustin Nichols will come with him.

On third assistant, White said Dusty May still in play if he doesn't get La Tech job. Also surveying landscape.

wildturkey8

Quote from: razorbackcaller on May 09, 2015, 09:03:57 am
Sorry to hear that. John was a class act. He didn't get the job done here but he was a good man.

I hope he finds work soon.
I agree.

TrueBlue

311Hog

i feel bad for Grant he is having a bad couple of months.  i hope he didnt buy a house in FL if he did that would make 2 houses in 2 dif states he has to off load along with finding a new place to coach.

TrueBlue

Quote from: 311Hog on May 13, 2015, 11:10:07 pm
i feel bad for Grant he is having a bad couple of months.  i hope he didnt buy a house in FL if he did that would make 2 houses in 2 dif states he has to off load along with finding a new place to coach.

Feel sorry for Grant? Give me an ever loving break. They should arrest him for "stealing".

He made $1.8 million a year WITH Alabama, but will make $1.0 million a year through 2019 as a buyout. I wish I could fall on such hard times!

Maddhog

I haven't been following this but are Pel and Grant not going to OKC with Billy? 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

311Hog

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 13, 2015, 11:18:35 pm
Feel sorry for Grant? Give me an ever loving break. They should arrest him for "stealing".

He made $1.8 million a year WITH Alabama, but will make $1.0 million a year through 2019 as a buyout. I wish I could fall on such hard times!

yeah what was i thinking F that guy in the A imrichbish!

The Boar War

Quote from: Maddhog on May 14, 2015, 08:06:55 am
I haven't been following this but are Pel and Grant not going to OKC with Billy? 

It would probably be a smart move on Donavan's part to surround himself with people who have NBA experience. 

sickboy

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 13, 2015, 11:18:35 pm

Money isn't everything. It's hard when you're not working, even harder if your work is your passion.

Maddhog

Quote from: The Boar War on May 14, 2015, 08:48:39 pm
It would probably be a smart move on Donavan's part to surround himself with people who have NBA experience. 

No doubt about that.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  May 14

May to join UF's staff: Florida rounded out its coaching staff under new head coach Michael White on Thursday ... http://bit.ly/1QOg4hM

QuoteFlorida rounded out its coaching staff under new head coach Michael White on Thursday night when Dusty May joined the staff as an assistant coach.

White has brought all three of his assistants from Louisiana Tech, along with director of basketball operations Kyle Church.

In an interview with WRUF's Steve Russell on Thursday, White said he felt it was important to have continuity in his coaching staff in his first season at Florida.

Jeff Borzello is reporting that former Gator assistant coach Rashon Burno will indeed accept a position on Tim Miles' staff at Nebraska.

Florida officially granted 2015 signee Noah Dickerson his release from his Letter of Intent on Thursday, without restrictions. But an obscure SEC bylaw may prevent the 6-foot-8 power forward from Montverde (Fla.) Academy to transfer to another SEC school.

UF's staff is still awaiting work whether 2015 signee guard KeVaughn Allen also will ask out of his LOI. Signees Keith Stone (6-8, f) and Kevarrius Hayes (6-9, f) have confirmed they intend to honor their LOIs and play under White next season.

jbcarol

Jeff Smith ‏@Schmitontwit May 8

@gatorhoops @AndrewSpiveyGC UK is an assistant down.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on May 18, 2015, 04:06:26 pm
Jeff Smith ‏@Schmitontwit May 8

@gatorhoops @AndrewSpiveyGC UK is an assistant down.

C-J Sports @sports_cj  ·  51m 51 minutes ago

Barbee fills UK assistant coach opening http://cjky.it/1Kp1EEe  @kyletucker_cj

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  53m 53 minutes ago

Billy D's buyout to support former assistants: A portion of the buyout of Billy Donovan's contract will go tow... http://bit.ly/1SpoUnW

QuoteA portion of the buyout of Billy Donovan's contract will go toward funding the buyouts of former assistant coaches Rashon Burno and John Pelphrey, who were terminated without cause.

Donovan paid back $500,000 on his contract at Florida to accept an NBA coaching job with the Oklahoma City Thunder. Per terms of Donovan's contact, "such amount compensates (University Athletic) association for its costs and expenses associated with Coach's termination of the agreement, including, without limitation, those associated with terminating assistant coaches without cause."

It's unclear this point whether Anthony Grant even signed an assistant coach's contact, considering he was hired April 16, two weeks before left Donovan for Oklahoma City. Grant is joining Donovan as an assistant with the Thunder.

Per terms of their deals, both Burno and Pelphrey were entitled to 30 days pay beyond their termination date, provided they gave written notice and performed duties of their jobs to their date of termination. For Burno, that would amount to a prorated $11,500 of a $140,000 deal. For Pelphrey, that would amount to $32,500 of a $390,000 annual contract (Pelphrey also got a $150,000 signing bonus, which wouldn't be prorated).

Burno has landed as an assistant coach at Nebraska, while Pelphrey, to this point, hasn't found another job. Donovan endorsed Pelphrey for the head job at UF, but Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley hired Louisiana Tech's Michael White instead.

jbcarol

John Pelphrey retweeted
MarkJonesESPN @MarkJonesESPN  ·  May 23
At my daughters @AAU_Basketball tourney in West Palm Beach,Fl,bumped into fmr @GatorZoneMBK asst @johnpelphrey doin the same.#HoopsLifestyle

jbcarol

Pelphrey wants to return to the college game now that his boss, Billy Donovan, has departed for the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder. More than likely, he'll sit out this season.

Quote"I was hoping the get the Florida head coaching job," Pelphrey said Tuesday.

"My background is coaching basketball at the college level," Pelphrey explained. "My future will be coaching basketball at the college level."

Pelphrey gets up each morning and takes a good walk around his neighborhood. He then spends three, four hours working on professional development.

That can mean breaking down game videos looking for fresh ideas from other coaches. Or it can mean writing down lessons he learned in his head coaching stints at South Alabama (2002-07) and Arkansas (2007-11).

"I don't dwell on that a whole lot," Pelphrey said. "For me, I just focus on what I can control. I believe I will get another chance as a college head coach. It's my job to be the best prepared I can be when I do."

jbcarol

John Pelphrey retweeted
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 24h24 hours ago

Illinois hires Billy Donovan's right-hand man -- Darren Hertz. Great move by John Groce. http://m.fightingillini.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062615aaa.html ...

jbcarol

Royce Young ‏@royceyoung Jun 29

Thunder have officially announced their coaching staff: Monty Williams, Mo Cheeks and Anthony Grant are assistants.

jbcarol

Happy birthday ... To John Pelphrey. He turned 47 on Saturday. ...

Clay: John Pelphrey, Travis Ford revisit their roots as high school hoops legends

QuoteFord, a star guard at Madisonville North Hopkins High School (Class of 1989), and Pelphrey, a star forward at Paintsville High School (Class of 1987), were among those honored as part of the 2015 Centennial Class of the Kentucky High School Basketball Hall of Fame.

"It's pretty amazing, it really is," said the former South Alabama and Arkansas head coach who just completed his second stint as an assistant at Florida. "As a kid growing up in the state, you just want to be a part of high school basketball and have a chance to be good enough to go to a Sweet 16 and maybe compete for a state championship. Some of these things don't even come on your radar."

Their college paths met in Lexington. Pelphrey was part of "The Unforgettables," who helped restore the Kentucky program in the early 1990s after probation. Ford spent one year at Missouri before transferring to UK where he roomed with Pelphrey.

"John was always somebody I looked up to," Ford said. "He was kind of a mentor to me coming up through the ranks."

With Billy Donovan leaving Florida for the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder, Pelphrey said Saturday he will more than likely step out of coaching for a year to watch his kids play high school basketball before deciding his next career move.

jbcarol

John Pelphrey appears content to spend next season away from coaching.

Pelphrey told Kentucky.com following his induction into the Kentucky basketball high school Hall of Fame that he's going to take a year off to spend time with his family.

Quote"More than likely, I'm not going to be coaching next year," Pelphrey told Kentucky.com. "A couple of people have reached out in terms of broadcasting. We'll have to wait and see if anything materializes there."

Pelphrey's son, Jaxson, is a starting baseball player (first baseman) going into his senior year at P.K. Yonge High. His daughter, Grace, is a sophomore basketball player at P.K. Yonge.

"I'm going to try with the time I have be a champion of my circumstance for my family for however long it lasts," Pelphrey said. "It's a unique opportunity. I want to look back on it and say that year off from coaching, I did a great job with it.

"I'll get back in at some point in time, somewhere hopefully at a great place and continue to have an opportunity to work with young men and be around the game that a I love so much."

Gideon Cohen ‏@Gideon_Cohen Jul 13

Congrats to new client @johnpelphrey, enshrined into Kentucky HS Basketball HOF this weekend

Excited to welcome Kentucky hoops legend @johnpelphrey and former MLB All-Star @PrestonWilson44 as @ifmanagement [Representation for broadcasters—anchors, announcers, analysts, reporters, retired coaches and athletes—across the sports and news industry] broadcasting clients!

Dr. Starcs

Gonna lay down and have a good bleed for a year.

jbcarol

John Pelphrey Retweeted
David Scott ‏@ESPNprDScott 15h15 hours ago

John Saunders was on call for John Pelphrey's 1st game as collegian (w/ @DickieV). Now w Pelphrey on his game-analyst debut @SECNetwork

jbcarol

Pelphrey update

Former UK player John Pelphrey was the analyst on the SEC Network telecast of the Blue-White Game. When Billy Donovan went to the Oklahoma City Thunder this season, Pelphrey decided to stay in Gainesville, Fla., where his son, Jaxson, is a high school senior.

After trying television work for a season, Pelphrey said he would re-assess his career options.

QuoteAccording to Rupp Arena's turnstile count, attendance for Madness was 19,480. The turnstile count for the Blue-White Game was 12,373. (UK includes every person in the arena — fans, players, coaches, cheerleaders, trumpet players, ushers, security — in announcing an estimated official attendance. That's why Blue-White's attendance was 15,007, which UK touted as the second-largest crowd for a Blue-White Game. UK also said the 15,007 surpassed the average home attendance last season of all but 13 Division I teams.)

To explain the greater popularity of Madness, Pelphrey cited the tradition and spectacle surrounding the event.

Nosboar Accubond

When did he start working for the SEC network? He's working the MS State game

dsgreen

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on November 13, 2015, 09:11:27 pm

Went Donovan left for the NBA, new coach didn't keep him on.

SuperSid4Ever

Did he do a decent job commentating?

BadHog

Wow - two ex UA men's bb coaches working for the SEC network. Guess that coaching gig just didn't work out but they managed to coach here for a decade. Hmmm....
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

fanofthehog

He was alright, talks a little too much.

mao

Did he show up on time? Did he have a good bleed? Sheesh

fineswine

Sorry I missed it.  I would have enjoyed listening to his valuable insight into the reason each team should implement the three man weave when in the half court.

Nosboar Accubond

He was ok. Seemed like he was trying too hard to be entertaining. Lots of comments like "let it all hang out!"

Music City Razorback

So let me get this straight.  Billy Donovan says we shouldn't have let him go, but the only job he could get coaching basketball was working again for Donovan.  Donovan leaves and now he's out of coaching.  This makes me appreciate MA that much more. 
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

ArkieBrat

Quote from: Music City Razorback on November 14, 2015, 07:47:28 am
So let me get this straight.  Billy Donovan says we shouldn't have let him go, but the only job he could get coaching basketball was working again for Donovan.  Donovan leaves and now he's out of coaching.  This makes me appreciate MA that much more. 

Yep, that is damn straight.  ;)
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

MissippHog

First thing I thought of. 

Dr. Starcs

Failphrey gonna ride that billy d butt train as long as he can.

1hawgballer2

Grant follow Biilly boy to the Thunders, it appears the new coach didn't keep anyone except the player they recruited

Kevin

Just like all the hog assistant riding ma's butt.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2015, 07:24:06 pm
Just like all the hog assistant riding ma's butt.

If hog assistants are riding your ma's butt, what does that have to do with Pelphrey?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on November 13, 2015, 09:11:27 pm

Just another job they can call for him to be fired at next?
I think he'll do okay in the media until he gets placed on the hot seat

latrops

None of us have any idea what coaching options he had.  He didn't get the job done at Arkansas, but it is illogical to think that given his age and experience, including a relatively successful run at South Alabama and years spent working alongside Billy Donovan, there would be no interest in him.  I expect that he could again get a job as a head coach at a Sun Belt level school or be hired as an assistant at a larger program.  I imagine he had and/or will have options.  They are all likely a step down from where he has been though, so who knows if he will ultimately choose to continue his coaching career.

tasteslikechicken

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 15, 2015, 07:30:39 pm
If hog assistants are riding your ma's butt, what does that have to do with Pelphrey?
+1  lol'd at that one!

jbcarol

Pelphrey was back in Rupp Arena on Tuesday night as part of the SEC Network crew telecasting Kentucky-Boston U.

QuoteThe former Paintsville High star was head coach at South Alabama and Arkansas, as well as a long-time assistant in two different stints for Billy Donovan at Florida. Pelphrey did not follow Donovan to the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder and decided to take a year off from coaching.

The Boar War

Clearly Donavan wasn't made aware of Coach K's record for his first three years at Duke.  Lord knows we were subjected to it on a daily basis.

jbcarol

Kentucky Basketball ‏@KentuckyMBB Nov 24

Unforgettable John Pelphrey (also calling the game tonight on the @SECNetwork) is your honorary Y tonight.