Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LeGerald Vick

Started by Thepigdoctor, May 05, 2015, 10:27:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Thepigdoctor

Supposed to announce who he'll be visiting towards the end of the week and AAU coach said 50% chance he stays with the 2015 class. Would be huge for this staff to land him, but competition is incredibly fierce, every big name school is on him.

Inhogswetrust

Can someone explain to me how players can bounce back and fourth as a recruit listed in one year or the other? I assume academics but is there other things involved? Thanks.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:31:24 am
Can someone explain to me how players can bounce back and fourth as a recruit listed in one year or the other? I assume academics but is there other things involved? Thanks.
I would also like to know the answer to this.  I'll hang up and listen.  Woo Pig.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:31:24 am

A player can choose to go to a prep school, I believe, if they are completing their graduation requirement early. In Vick's case, I believe he is trying to graduate and become eligible this year. Otherwise he'll complete his graduation requirement on schedule and play for a prep school.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 05, 2015, 10:38:02 am
A player can choose to go to a prep school, I believe, if they are completing their graduation requirement early. In Vick's case, I believe he is trying to graduate and become eligible this year. Otherwise he'll complete his graduation requirement on schedule and play for a prep school.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! Does anyone know any other potential reasons?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Hopefully the work we did recruiting him early will help us this time around. There is definitely playing time and opportunities available to him here at our 3 guard spot.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:42:20 am

Here's a link. It's basically as simple as it sounds, getting high school over with but getting an extra year of basketball in to better your game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/reclassification-trend-in-high-school-basketball-delivers-disparate-results-for-athletes-looking-to-gain-an-edge/2014/01/13/380cc422-7c64-11e3-95c6-0a7aa80874bc_story.html

HOGINTENNESSEE

May 05, 2015, 11:09:24 am #7 Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:17:37 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:42:20 am

A lot of times kids can get bigger programs or a better scholarship by going Prep School out of HS (assuming it's not a grade/score issue). However, this year's second signing period class is very weak overall. Just due to need Vick can go to a better program than SMU right out of HS.

Kevin

prep school can only help you academically with your test score.

as far as the class requirements, the player must have all his ncaa core classes done by his original graduation year.

so, i would say he is ncaa qualified, but was going to prep school, to try & get recruited at a higher level.

since, he is ncaa qualified, he can do either
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 05, 2015, 11:18:31 am
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Kansas-Kentucky-Louisville-others-contact-LaGerald-Vick-37117232

Assuming those are JR year highlights, I could see his reason for considering a year of prep school to bulk up, but as noted by HOGINTN, solely based on need, he's going to be prized as a 2015 recruit already.

Hawg Red

Kansas has offered.

Guess we'll just have to wait until he releases his visits.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 05, 2015, 05:38:24 pm
Kansas has offered.

Guess we'll just have to wait until he releases his visits.

Going to be a lot of guys after him.  KeVaughn Allen as well.  Hopefully with our prior connections we can land at least 1 of the 2, then if we land Izundu, that's a really good class.  A great class if you think about what we were looking at after Qualls and Portis first announced.

Hawg Red

I think Izundu and Allen is the more likely scenario. Still don't have a good feel for where we're at with Outlaw.

lumphog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 05, 2015, 05:48:42 pm
I think Izundu and Allen is the more likely scenario. Still don't have a good feel for where we're at with Outlaw.
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner......this is the way I see it unfolding. The call today is very telling & Kingsley  & Kapita will play a big role in getting Izundu.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 05, 2015, 05:48:42 pm

I agree that Izundu and Allen seems like the most likely scenario.

Last information on Outlaw was reported a couple days ago by RD, he said he was finishing up finals and would schedule visits after that.  With Allen and Vick in play, Outlaw and Dixson probably moved down on the priority list.  Izundu seems to be the big focus now, then once/if Allen gets that release we'll probably put on a full court press for him. 

lookawayquick

Allen and Izu would make for a nice recruiting class. Keep grinding CMA!

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on May 05, 2015, 06:52:15 pm
I agree that Izundu and Allen seems like the most likely scenario.

Last information on Outlaw was reported a couple days ago by RD, he said he was finishing up finals and would schedule visits after that.  With Allen and Vick in play, Outlaw and Dixson probably moved down on the priority list.  Izundu seems to be the big focus now, then once/if Allen gets that release we'll probably put on a full court press for him. 

rlamb

If Kentucky, Kansas and Louisville are recruiting Vick hard. Wouldn't like are chances.

Swinesong1

Quote from: rlamb on May 05, 2015, 10:42:54 pm
If Kentucky, Kansas and Louisville are recruiting Vick hard. Wouldn't like are chances.
are chances what?

benji

WhatsitHOGabout

Quote from: Swinesong1 on May 05, 2015, 10:58:41 pm
are chances what?

"Chances are, 'cause I wear that silly grin
the moment you come into view;
chances are you think that I'm in love with you."

Swinesong1

Quote from: WhatsitHOGabout on May 06, 2015, 03:38:47 pm
"Chances are, 'cause I wear that silly grin
the moment you come into view;
chances are you think that I'm in love with you."
You silver tongued devil.

Hog and Eggs

Recent SMU decommit LaGerald Vick's visit schedule:
Kansas State this weekend, Kansas next Wednesday/Thursday, Kentucky after next weekend.

Scott7703

Would have loved to have landed this kid but I'm not sure we will have room without asking someone to leave. Kids got major talent though.

Hog and Eggs

It's interesting. I wonder who the staff would rather have, Allen or Vick?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on May 08, 2015, 02:22:26 pm

Appears the decision has been made for them. We'll likely never know. Vick does fill more of an immediate need and creates less of a jam in the backcourt (from a numbers standpoint).

Scott7703

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on May 08, 2015, 02:22:26 pm

Just my opinion but I think of they both are genuinely interested you have to find room for them both. They are both really talented.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 08, 2015, 02:28:29 pm
Just my opinion but I think of they both are genuinely interested you have to find room for them both. They are both really talented.

I'd lean this way as well. At this point, coming off 27 wins, you have to find a way to continually stockpile talent to keep things going and moving forward/upward. Vick and Allen are both talents that help that happen.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 08, 2015, 02:26:27 pm
Appears the decision has been made for them. We'll likely never know. Vick does fill more of an immediate need and creates less of a jam in the backcourt (from a numbers standpoint).

I think you're right. And I wonder if the staff isn't ok with that. I mean, I think that becomes a really difficult decision if they both want to come. It's true, Vick probably better fills what you're looking for. But, Allen is an in-state kid who is also very talented.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 08, 2015, 02:29:44 pm
I'd lean this way as well. At this point, coming off 27 wins, you have to find a way to continually stockpile talent to keep things going and moving forward/upward. Vick and Allen are both talents that help that happen.

Who do you get rid of? I know everyone says Miles. How long can you get away with shoving guys out the door before you start to get a bad reputation and that hinders your ability to recruit long-term?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on May 08, 2015, 02:31:47 pm
Who do you get rid of? I know everyone says Miles. How long can you get away with shoving guys out the door before you start to get a bad reputation and that hinders your ability to recruit long-term?

Miles is a 5th year senior with a degree in hand. I don't think that has any effect on recruiting. Once a kid has his degree, there's a strong argument to be made that you don't owe them much after that. And, really, aren't you doing the kid a favor if you know he isn't going to play much? You're giving him a chance to actually get out there and play for his final season elsewhere. I don't know if "shoving guys out the door" is really an accurate description of how it works. You have a realistic conversation with them and let them make the choice. They'll almost always choose to move on. And this type of thing happens just about everywhere. In a perfect world, everyone on scholarship gets to play. But we don't live in a perfect world. The best thing for either side is to get the kid in a better situation on-court.

But....I don't see Mike doing this. That could be because he knows he doesn't need to. We still have two spots to fill. Realistically, we're down to 2-3 guys in the running for those spots. There's a good chance we don't even fill all of our spots.

latrops

I'm not sure about the rules concerning a recent commit like Thomas, but either he or Miles would be the obvious choices.  Miles is a 5th year senior that doesn't figure to be a major contributor, while Thomas has only been committed for a few days and could land elsewhere.

That said, I don't expect anyone committed or on the team to be displaced.  Still have two to fill and nothing really solid from anyone else, yet.

Scott7703

Without naming names I would look at upper class man who have little to no chance to contribute

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 08, 2015, 02:38:28 pm
Miles is a 5th year senior with a degree in hand. I don't think that has any effect on recruiting. Once a kid has his degree, there's a strong argument to be made that you don't owe them much after that. And, really, aren't you doing the kid a favor if you know he isn't going to play much? You're giving him a chance to actually get out there and play for his final season elsewhere. I don't know if "shoving guys out the door" is really an accurate description of how it works. You have a realistic conversation with them and let them make the choice. They'll almost always choose to move on. And this type of thing happens just about everywhere. In a perfect world, everyone on scholarship gets to play. But we don't live in a perfect world. The best thing for either side is to get the kid in a better situation on-court.

But....I don't see Mike doing this. That could be because he knows he doesn't need to. We still have two spots to fill. Realistically, we're down to 2-3 guys in the running for those spots. There's a good chance we don't even fill all of our spots.

Perhaps...I'm just trying to look at it from the point of view as the player. Obviously, as you say, I would also much rather play my final year then sit the bench. We don't live in a perfect world, but you also want to run your program with integrity regardless of what other schools do. I mean we rant all the time on here about what other programs do in building their teams. With that said, it's true, we do have 2 spots left with absolutely no guarantees with Allen, Izundu, or anyone.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on May 08, 2015, 02:48:25 pm
Perhaps...I'm just trying to look at it from the point of view as the player. Obviously, as you say, I would also much rather play my final year then sit the bench. We don't live in a perfect world, but you also want to run your program with integrity regardless of what other schools do. I mean we rant all the time on here about what other programs do in building their teams. With that said, it's true, we do have 2 spots left with absolutely no guarantees with Allen, Izundu, or anyone.

I don't think there's any integrity lacking in suggesting to a player that the best situation for them might be elsewhere. Does a player lack integrity when they ask to transfer? As long as it's handled the right way (helping find the player a landing spot, etc.), I don't think there's anything wrong suggesting a player move on. Now, if the player just simply doesn't want to leave and they're okay with riding the bench, at that point, I don't think there's much you can do if they're a good student/kid. It would look bad only if the player absolutely did not want to move on.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 08, 2015, 02:52:28 pm
I don't think there's any integrity lacking in suggesting to a player that the best situation for them might be elsewhere. Does a player lack integrity when they ask to transfer? As long as it's handled the right way (helping find the player a landing spot, etc.), I don't think there's anything wrong suggesting a player move on. Now, if the player just simply doesn't want to leave and they're okay with riding the bench, at that point, I don't think there's much you can do if they're a good student/kid. It would look bad only if the player absolutely did not want to move on.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily saying there is. I'm more making general comments. I think you're right. I think as long as you are giving them an option it's fine. I think it becomes a little more.....questionable when you are telling them to move on.

jackflash

If a players wants to transfer I am OK with that. Running kids off when they done nothing wrong not my thing.

rude1

Quote from: jackflash on May 10, 2015, 09:20:32 am
If a players wants to transfer I am OK with that. Running kids off when they done nothing wrong not my thing.
I believe in this also, which is the danger in over signing when you have no idea if a player is wanting to leave. This is bad for a program to do this unless you are one of the big boys of the sport and can select the players you want. Contrary to popular belief you can't just keep signing players, then choose your favorite 13 and tell the others to take a hike. It is ok to over sign when you have already discussed with a player or players the need for them to possibly move on for a chance to play and they have agreed.

Hogimus Prime

Blah really hoped Vick had some interest in the Hogs.  IMO he would've been a great fit for the Hogs.

bigdaddyhawg

Soooo, it seems the theory being put forward by some on here that Vick had serious interest in the UA and that we were a serious contender for his services was, well, a pipedream, to put it nicely, in the least, and a complete farce to cover Mike, in the worst.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 11, 2015, 10:10:54 am
Soooo, it seems the theory being put forward by some on here that Vick had serious interest in the UA and that we were a serious contender for his services was, well, a pipedream, to put it nicely, in the least, and a complete farce to cover Mike, in the worst.

Troll out, troll out, troll out.  That's ludacris!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 11, 2015, 10:21:11 am
Troll out, troll out, troll out.  That's ludacris!

Hahahaha... ludacris??  Really??

Or maybe you're being sarcastic, and in that case I'm sorry for being slow to catch on.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  9h 9 hours ago

Very impressed with new Kansas pledge LaGerald Vick. Very good athlete at 6-4. Shoots it well, quick off his feet & potential as defender.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 21m21 minutes ago
Kansas commit LaGerald Vick will reclassify to the 2015 class

With the addition of Vick to 2015, Bill Self & KU will have three ranked recruits. Joins five-star Cheick Diallo & four-star Carlton Bragg.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net