Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Donovan to OKC

Started by The_Iceman, April 02, 2015, 01:57:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scottwillrazbackfan1

Billy D hired his replacement.. Can anyone say "Anthony Grant"... Makes you wonder.

HOGINTENNESSEE

https://mobile.twitter.com/byDavidGardner

This guy paints a different picture on how close the deal is or isn't

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 29, 2015, 11:51:44 pm
It's a lot closer to half than you think.

Based on.....what, exactly?

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 29, 2015, 11:24:43 pm
1. In terms of GM's having a "fascination" with college coaches (undeservedly), we're just arguing over semantics at this point. To me, it's a fascination because they are looking at two college coaches to fill the two best vacancies, in spite of evidence showing college coaches to be busts in the pros (including Cal already having a history of shooting blanks in the NBA).
2. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Give me the up and comer assistant vs. the college coach any day.

Calipari and Pitino tried their hand at the NBA 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Calipari was within the first 10 years of his head coaching career when the Nets hired him. His name and reputation among NBA players has grown tremendously. The NBA is a player's league. Calipari has shown the ability to get high-level talents to buy into a team concept, and that's something that would serve him well in the NBA. This is something he has gained since his first NBA stint.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see a very small handful of college coaches, the elite of the elite, being offered NBA jobs as a fascination. I guys like Scott Drew were being offered jobs, I'd see where you were coming from. It's only logical that Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, and Donovan are considered for jobs in the top basketball league in the world, as they're some of the top coaches in the world.

As for Quin Synder, I'm not sure what we can even consider him. Is a college coach that got an NBA job? Because he was hired by the Jazz as the Hawks head assistant coach. Before that, he served the same role for CSKA Moscow in Russia (Sonny Weems' team). Before that, he was an assistant with the Lakers. Before that, he worked on the 76ers staff. And before that he was a head coach in the D-League. So he's had 5 jobs in the professional ranks since coaching Missouri (6 counting the Jazz). He's had more experiences as a professional coach (in some form) than at the college level, where he was an assistant at Duke and head coach at Missouri.

Breems

Stinks for Florida. Donovan was probably the best coach in the SEC.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Quote from: Breems on April 30, 2015, 09:15:23 am
Stinks for Florida. Donovan was probably the best coach in the SEC.

Probably?

hoglady

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on April 30, 2015, 05:59:09 am
Billy D hired his replacement.. Can anyone say "Anthony Grant"... Makes you wonder.

Well - I would sure take Grant over Pel,
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ChicoHog

From this am CBS sports.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25168210/report-thunder-billy-donovan-nearing-agreement

I hope he goes.  UF should always be good based on location but I think they may struggle for a little with him gone.  He is a great recruiter. 

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  20m 20 minutes ago
Per source, Billy D-Thunder deal not finalized, no decision reached.

Folks, I wasn't refuting @WojYahooNBA report, just refuting an OKC TV report that said the deal was done. Sheesh.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  33m 33 minutes ago

Yahoo Sources w/ @YahooForde: Florida's Billy Donovan is finalizing a multi-year deal to become the head coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Iceman

Marshall or Archie Miller are my predictions for a replacement.

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on April 30, 2015, 11:44:12 am
Marshall or Archie Miller are my predictions for a replacement.
Quote from: MikePiazza on April 30, 2015, 11:50:33 am
Richard Pitino?

I could see Miller or Pitino. I don't think Marshall is leaving.

latrops

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 29, 2015, 02:33:05 pm
Good article..Lon Kruger is a great example, for sure.

I just don't get the fascination NBA GM's, or maybe owners, have with college coaches.

Where else do you get someone with "upside"?  Is the track record for the Derrick Fishers and Brian Shaws and Steve Cliffords and Byron Scotts any better than the college guys'?  Most of these coaches, even those that get fired, can coach fine.  Those that struggle tend to do so because their team is young or key players are injured or the team simply lacks enough talent overall.  Ultimately, there aren't enough great, established coaches to go around.  Even those great coaches tend to have a HOFer or two to work with.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2015, 06:32:04 am
https://mobile.twitter.com/byDavidGardner

This guy paints a different picture on how close the deal is or isn't

He's since changed his tune. 

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

Billy Donovan has informed Florida AD Jeremy Foley that he is leaving for Oklahoma City Thunder, source told ESPN.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

razorhogLR

latrops

Quote from: hoglady on April 30, 2015, 09:18:08 am
Well - I would sure take Grant over Pel,

Grant's 1 NCAAT team in six years trumps Pels 1 out of four?

Either way, I don't assume a major dropoff is guaranteed.  Whether it is Pel or Grant, they will be working with more talent and a better recent history than they had at Arkansas and Alabama.  Florida isn't a rebuild lacking recent tradition....it is ready made to compete whoever the coach is.  It is also possible that these guys learned from some of their mistakes and would/could do a better job with another opportunity.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

Who's got next at UF? An early list of candidates to replace Billy Donovan - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150430/ARTICLES/150439980?tc=cr ...

QuoteFlorida assistant coach John Pelphrey — Donovan is reportedly pushing for Pelphrey to replace him, and Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley has a strong relationship with the former Kentucky standout player. Pelphrey began his second stint as a UF assistant in 2011, and hiring him would be a nod to keeping UF's ninth-ranked 2015 recruiting class together. But would it benefit the program long term?

Some longshot candidates to replace Billy D -- Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall and Villanova's Jay Wright. Would need to pony up $$$$

bighog2255

Quote from: latrops on April 30, 2015, 12:30:08 pm

Either way, I don't assume a major dropoff is guaranteed.  Whether it is Pel or Grant, they will be working with more talent and a better recent history than they had at Arkansas and Alabama.  Florida isn't a rebuild lacking recent tradition....it is ready made to compete whoever the coach is.

Yes Florida has had lots of success, but that was mainly because of Billy. No matter who their coach is, their facilities and fan base for basketball is terrible. The "O-dome" is a dump. Billy has done more with less than any school that has had recent success. Their is almost certainly going to be a drop-off

The_Bionic_Pig

One recruit *Noah Dickerson* already stating he may not attend U of F with no Donavan.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: latrops on April 30, 2015, 12:30:08 pm
Grant's 1 NCAAT team in six years trumps Pels 1 out of four?

Either way, I don't assume a major dropoff is guaranteed.  Whether it is Pel or Grant, they will be working with more talent and a better recent history than they had at Arkansas and Alabama.  Florida isn't a rebuild lacking recent tradition....it is ready made to compete whoever the coach is.  It is also possible that these guys learned from some of their mistakes and would/could do a better job with another opportunity.

That's a little misleading.

Grant has the better record:

Grant has three tourney appearance in 9 years and Pel only 2 in 9 as head coaches.
Grant overall is .637 and Pel is only .542 as head coaches.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 30, 2015, 12:33:25 pm
Yes Florida has had lots of success, but that was mainly because of Billy. No matter who their coach is, their facilities and fan base for basketball is terrible. The "O-dome" is a dump. Billy has done more with less than any school that has had recent success. Their is almost certainly going to be a drop-off

Usually is when a very good coach leaves. The old axiom of never follow the legend but follow the guy that follows the legend is usually true.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 12:38:59 pm
Grant has the better record:

Grant has three tourney appearance in 9 years and Pel only 2 in 9 as head coaches.
Grant overall is .637 and Pel is only .542 as head coaches.
Neither Grant nor Pel will replace Billy the Kid (still an acceptable nickname?). Any discussion is an exercise in futility. Howland, Barnes, Avery Johnson have been hired by sub par SEC programs...but UF settles for Pel? Not happening....
I'll guess Archie Miller

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

UNCLE BACK

We must get Kevaughn now!

dbhog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 30, 2015, 12:44:07 pm
Neither Grant nor Pel will replace Billy the Kid (still an acceptable nickname?). Any discussion is an exercise in futility. Howland, Barnes, Avery Johnson have been hired by sub par SEC programs...but UF settles for Pel? Not happening....
I'll guess Archie Miller

CBS Sports says Archie Miller (Dayton), Richard Pitino (Minnesota) or Chris Mack (Xavier)

dbhog

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 30, 2015, 12:52:12 pm

Ain't happening.  Florida will probably not let him go to an SEC school in order to be released from his letter of intent.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: dbhog on April 30, 2015, 12:53:59 pm
Ain't happening.  Florida will probably not let him go to an SEC school in order to be released from his letter of intent.
Usually a coach leaving before a kid ever gets to campus warrants a release to any school.

Inhogswetrust

I'll guess Archie Miller

You are talking about the same AD that hired Ron Zook..........................enough said.

Inhogswetrust

I'll guess Archie Miller

I agree. However I thought it was interesting the other poster I responded to said what he said. I wouldn't put anything past Foley though. He has been known to take risks.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 30, 2015, 12:57:06 pm
Usually a coach leaving before a kid ever gets to campus warrants a release to any school.

This. It's normally only transfer they get strict on.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on April 30, 2015, 12:25:04 pm
He's since changed his tune. 

Clearly the ESPN source was greater than his SI source

earshot

Please let it be Pelphrey!

intelligence

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 12:57:36 pm
You are talking about the same AD that hired Ron Zook..........................enough said.

I think there was an AD at arkansas who hired HDN and Pel... can't remember the guys name

40MINSOFHELL

Doug

If you follow me on Twitter, check out my latest Tweet. If you don't follow me, link is below.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

The_Iceman

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 30, 2015, 12:52:12 pm

When Kevaughn committed to Florida, Arkansas was a program that had very little momentum. Since then, we were the SEC Regular Season and SEC Tournament Runner-Ups. We Got to the NCAA Tournament and won a game. We have a brand new practice facility about to open, the fan support is rising, and a lot of scoring opportunities next season just opened up.

He may just not want to come to Arkansas, and that would be understandable. There are a lot of good programs out there that want him. But hopefully we will at least talk to him if he opens back up.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Doug on April 30, 2015, 02:00:14 pm
If you follow me on Twitter, check out my latest Tweet. If you don't follow me, link is below.

LOL! They be  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  36m 36 minutes ago

Here's the Thunder release on Billy Donovan being named coach: http://tinyurl.com/n4vay27

poloprince

BillY D said he was sick of recruiting.
$PoLoPrInCe$

dhornjr1

I'm a little surprised he took the OKC job. He must feel confident that they will re-sign Durant and Westbrook.

Or, he may know something about where the Thunder will be drafting this year. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Oklahoma City "defy the odds" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and get the #1 overall pick.

Hog1952

When the going gets tough it's time to cut out....just ask Meyer.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 30, 2015, 07:53:47 am
Calipari and Pitino tried their hand at the NBA 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Calipari was within the first 10 years of his head coaching career when the Nets hired him. His name and reputation among NBA players has grown tremendously. The NBA is a player's league. Calipari has shown the ability to get high-level talents to buy into a team concept, and that's something that would serve him well in the NBA. This is something he has gained since his first NBA stint.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see a very small handful of college coaches, the elite of the elite, being offered NBA jobs as a fascination. I guys like Scott Drew were being offered jobs, I'd see where you were coming from. It's only logical that Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, and Donovan are considered for jobs in the top basketball league in the world, as they're some of the top coaches in the world.

As for Quin Synder, I'm not sure what we can even consider him. Is a college coach that got an NBA job? Because he was hired by the Jazz as the Hawks head assistant coach. Before that, he served the same role for CSKA Moscow in Russia (Sonny Weems' team). Before that, he was an assistant with the Lakers. Before that, he worked on the 76ers staff. And before that he was a head coach in the D-League. So he's had 5 jobs in the professional ranks since coaching Missouri (6 counting the Jazz). He's had more experiences as a professional coach (in some form) than at the college level, where he was an assistant at Duke and head coach at Missouri.

Since when is Kevin Ollie elite?

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 30, 2015, 05:24:43 pm

Guy that won a National Championship?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 30, 2015, 05:24:43 pm
since he won a national championship.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: poloprince on April 30, 2015, 02:45:31 pm
BillY D said he was sick of recruiting.

Wait until he has to try to replace Durant and Westbrook at some point. Recruiting might be a piece of cake compared to that!

Dr. Starcs

Wonder if billy d felt Scotty b was given enough time? 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2015, 05:45:28 pm
since he won a national championship.

Really. Are you gonna stick with that or is that sarcasm? He meant as a COACH. He didn't win one as a player at Uconn or as the coach yet.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 30, 2015, 06:34:55 pm
Really. Are you gonna stick with that or is that sarcasm? He meant as a COACH. He didn't win one as a player at Uconn or as the coach yet.

He won a national championship as a coach 13 months ago.