Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Donovan to OKC

Started by The_Iceman, April 02, 2015, 01:57:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 26, 2015, 09:23:46 pm
I could potentially agree with that but perhaps he's not worried about Durant but someone or something else or maybe he does know Durant's wishes.

They're good friends, which is likely why Ollie was offered the job right away. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 26, 2015, 09:56:50 pm
They're good friends, which is likely why Ollie was offered the job right away. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I had read about their friendship. Considering that friendship is why his name was mentioned as a possibility to begin with. That would certainly make sense that he might know his intentions.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

latrops

April 27, 2015, 08:21:21 am #102 Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:38:15 am by latrops
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 26, 2015, 09:15:12 pm
Unless he believes/knows that Durant wants out of OKC, I can't believe Ollie turned down that job.

I'm not sure it's as great a job as it is made out to be.  Certainly, you have the short term guaranteed star power of Durant and Westbrook, which all but guarantees they are a contender next season.  Beyond that, who knows?  The problem is, expectations are NBA Championship or bust, while the team hasn't really even been that close since losing Harden (injuries have been a factor).  I'm not saying it is a bad job, at all.  But the extremely high expectations coupled with the uncertainty beyond next year are cause for concern.  I can see why someone would be hesitant to leave a good, stable situation for that job right now. 

As far as what Durant is going to do after next season....I'm not sure even he knows for sure.  What all happens with the team over the next year may be a big part of what decision he ultimately makes.

Piggage

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 26, 2015, 09:12:45 pm
Sportscaster here believe Eddie Monster is gone.

We managed to misspell Donovan and Munster in the same thread. We're talking about the coach of the Flarrida Gaters, right?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 22, 2015, 02:34:13 pm
I've heard it both ways.

I've heard that it was made clear to the coaches that Allen wouldn't be a Hog and I've heard that Mike never really made a strong attempt to land Allen. All we can take away from this is that KeVaughn Allen won't be a Hog. And it's a damn shame.
I was told they they pretty much understood it was a longshot with him so Mike went in another direction. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 27, 2015, 09:59:24 am
Not a difficult concept to grasp.

unless you have a bias against CMA.... then they'll never understand, no matter the reason or facts...

Hawg Red

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 27, 2015, 09:59:24 am
I was told they they pretty much understood it was a longshot with him so Mike went in another direction. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

So both are true, is what I get out of that.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  19h 19 hours ago

With Brooks out, all signs point to OKC pursuing Billy Donovan http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25159485/with-brooks-out-all-signs-point-to-okc-pursuing-billy-donovan ... via @cbssports
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NoNC4Tubs

jbcarol

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine  ·  6h 6 hours ago

ESPN sources say Oklahoma City has opened discussions with Billy Donovan about its coaching position. Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12784227/oklahoma-city-thunder-billy-donovan-begin-formal-discussions-coaching-position ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 29, 2015, 07:35:11 am
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12784227/oklahoma-city-thunder-billy-donovan-begin-formal-discussions-coaching-position

Boom lets get him out of the SEC

I don't think this helps us with KA, but it gets a great coach out of the SEC, and possibly good players as well.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2015, 08:38:04 am
I don't think this helps us with KA, but it gets a great coach out of the SEC, and possibly good players as well.

Getting Billy D out of the SEC is a bigger win for us than getting KA IMO. He makes that program.

hoglady

I sure won't miss Donovan on the Florida sideline.
I love The Thunder, though - guess I'll have to learn to like Donovan if he ends up there.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PonderinHog

Does he need help packing ???

grayhawg

Pel for Gators Coach!!!!!!!

bighog2255

Quote from: grayhawg on April 29, 2015, 10:34:50 am
Pel for Gators Coach!!!!!!!

They would certainly "lay down and have a good bleed"!!

Can the OP please change this thread to correct the spelling of Billy's name? Been driving me crazy!

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  52m 52 minutes ago
Per @pat_dooley, UF sources confirm that Donovan is in talks with Thunder.

After reading http://Yahoo.com  report, it appears that Florida coach Billy Donovan's interest in the Thunder is serious.

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  12m 12 minutes ago
Updated, Donovan, Oklahoma City Thunder in talks - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150429/ARTICLES/150429626?tc=cr ...

jbcarol

Pat Dooley @pat_dooley  ·  1h 1 hour ago
UF is aware that Billy Donovan is talking to OKC and is like everyone else waiting to see what happens.

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  13m 13 minutes ago
A "formal offer expected soon" for #Gators Billy Donovan to become next OKC Thunder coach, per @WojYahooNBA: http://bit.ly/1Kt81Dw

Nipsey Mussle

What makes NBA teams so sure that college coaches will do well there?

The only former college HC's I can think of currently in the NBA are Quin Snyder and Brad Stevens.

Too early to tell for Snyder. Stevens has shown some promise in Boston, considering the talent. Still, I can't exactly anoint him until he wins a playoff game.

Other than Larry Brown, which college HC has excelled, err been competent, in the last 30 years in the NBA?

I can think of many who have tried and failed to make that jump. Pitino and Cal immediately spring to mind.

The_Iceman

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 29, 2015, 12:17:54 pm
What makes NBA teams so sure that college coaches will do well there?

The only former college HC's I can think of currently in the NBA are Quin Snyder and Brad Stevens.

Too early to tell for Snyder. Stevens has shown some promise in Boston, considering the talent. Still, I can't exactly anoint him until he wins a playoff game.

Other than Larry Brown, which college HC has excelled, err been competent, in the last 30 years in the NBA?

I can think of many who have tried and failed to make that jump. Pitino and Cal immediately spring to mind.

What Stevens did with that Celtic roster was nothing short of spectacular.

Hawg Red

I think the right college coach is as good as hiring any NBA assistant or retread NBA coach.

Some college coaches aren't cut out for the NBA, but some can succeed. We're starting to see it with Stevens. No one expected them to make the playoffs (even in the East) this year. Now there's talk of Kevin Love being interested in the Celtics. Jury's still out on Quin Synder, but he has an excellent assembling of young talent. They won 25 games and finished dead-last in the West before he was hired. They saw a 13-game improvement in his first season. In the West. Nothing to sneeze at.

Watch Cleveland fire Blatt if they lose in the 2nd round and hire Calipari.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 12:41:39 pm

I have been rooting for this situation.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 29, 2015, 01:22:29 pm
I have been rooting for this situation.

It's just too perfect of a match. LeBron is a Calipari supporter and doesn't really want an actual coach. He just wants someone to answer coaches' questions and help him manage the egos. LeBron is the coach of whatever team he plays for. Blatt has no purpose with that team. Losing Kevin Love for the rest of the playoffs makes it much easier for the Cavs, from a publicity standpoint, to fire Blatt.

Will be interesting to see who Kentucky hires if this happens. One would think they could hire just about anyone, but that's not a job for everyone. Even for many elite coaches. Different level of expectations. Tough gig.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 01:29:15 pm
It's just too perfect of a match. LeBron is a Calipari supporter and doesn't really want an actual coach. He just wants someone to answer coaches' questions and help him manage the egos. LeBron is the coach of whatever team he plays for. Blatt has no purpose with that team. Losing Kevin Love for the rest of the playoffs makes it much easier for the Cavs, from a publicity standpoint, to fire Blatt.

Will be interesting to see who Kentucky hires if this happens. One would think they could hire just about anyone, but that's not a job for everyone. Even for many elite coaches. Different level of expectations. Tough gig.

I don't think their fans would be patient with a low key, develop talent style coach. They got spoiled with these one-and-done talents. Would be an interesting coaching search, indeed.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 12:41:39 pm
I think the right college coach is as good as hiring any NBA assistant or retread NBA coach.

Some college coaches aren't cut out for the NBA, but some can succeed. We're starting to see it with Stevens. No one expected them to make the playoffs (even in the East) this year. Now there's talk of Kevin Love being interested in the Celtics. Jury's still out on Quin Synder, but he has an excellent assembling of young talent. They won 25 games and finished dead-last in the West before he was hired. They saw a 13-game improvement in his first season. In the West. Nothing to sneeze at.

The jury is still out on Snyder/Stevens. I will say Snyder did a lot better than I would have predicted in his first season.

As a Cavs fans, I hope to God we don't hire Cal. That has nothing to do with anything about his personality, either. Blatt is very likely a better NBA coach.

So tell me about all these successful former Ncaa HC's that did well in the NBA ranks?

MikePiazza

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 29, 2015, 01:31:53 pm
The jury is still out on Snyder/Stevens. I will say Snyder did a lot better than I would have predicted in his first season.

As a Cavs fans, I hope to God we don't hire Cal. That has nothing to do with anything about his personality, either. Blatt is very likely a better NBA coach.

So tell me about all these successful former Ncaa HC's that did well in the NBA ranks?

This article is a little dated but it gives you the gist.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22626163/college-coaches-to-nba-how-theyve-faired-the-past-20-years
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Adam Stokes

Snyder was grabbed by the Jazz because of how well he develops his players, and as a Jazz fan it has been quite remarkable was he has been able to do with them, even with many injuries and losing Kanter to trades.  They finished the season 21-11 at the end of the season but had simply dug themselves too deep a hole the first half.  They should be a playoff team next year.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 29, 2015, 01:40:19 pm
This article is a little dated but it gives you the gist.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22626163/college-coaches-to-nba-how-theyve-faired-the-past-20-years
Good article..Lon Kruger is a great example, for sure.

I just don't get the fascination NBA GM's, or maybe owners, have with college coaches.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 29, 2015, 01:58:12 pm
Snyder was grabbed by the Jazz because of how well he develops his players, and as a Jazz fan it has been quite remarkable was he has been able to do with them, even with many injuries and losing Kanter to trades.  They finished the season 21-11 at the end of the season but had simply dug themselves too deep a hole the first half.  They should be a playoff team next year.
Jazz management was absolutely awful but apparently they got it right with Snyder. Didn't their GM get fired? They should've either kept Milsap/Jefferson or traded them. Then, they get a D-league player for Kanter.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 29, 2015, 02:33:05 pm
Good article..Lon Kruger is a great example, for sure.

I just don't get the fascination NBA GM's, or maybe owners, have with college coaches.

Given how few college coaches are hired/offered NBA jobs, can we really say there is a fascination?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 02:40:23 pm
Given how few college coaches are hired/offered NBA jobs, can we really say there is a fascination?
Arguably the two biggest jobs in the NBA are being offered to college coaches (if the Cal stuff is true).

The Lakers offered the world to Coach K.

Wait, did you move your position from "college coaches are as good as any for the NBA" to "no fascination."

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 29, 2015, 02:46:44 pm
Arguably the two biggest jobs in the NBA are being offered to college coaches (if the Cal stuff is true).

The Lakers offered the world to Coach K.

Wait, did you move your position from "college coaches are as good as any for the NBA" to "no fascination."

It's my opinion that the right college coach is as good of a risk to take (which what most NBA coaching hires are) as anyone else that isn't an already-established NBA head coach. There's 30 NBA teams and you just mentioned 3 job offers to college coaches. Plus the 2 already in the NBA (Stevens and Synder). College coaches are a minority of the targets for NBA head coaching jobs. My position or opinion has not changed, but I really don't see any kind of fascination with NBA front offices pursuing college coaches. In fact, I think they're very, very selective when they do so. There's much more of a fascination with hiring coaches who have struggled or had moderate success at other NBA stops and "up-and-coming" assistants.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 02:40:23 pm

They get hired/offered all the time.

Izzo, Pitino, Cal, Coach K, Brad Stevens, Tarkanian, and many, many more.

TNhawgfan

In an interview on Knoxville's sports animal, Gainesville writer Frank Frangie said John Failphrey would be the most likely replacement for Donovan if he leaves. In his words, "I think John is the best choice and would be named the head coach immediately." Go for it Gators - he's a winner!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 29, 2015, 02:56:53 pm
They get hired/offered all the time.

Izzo, Pitino, Cal, Coach K, Brad Stevens, Tarkanian, and many, many more.

Didn't say they don't. Just that they are far fewer of them offer than NBA assistant coaches and coaches with prior NBA head coaching experience. That's fact. There is no fascination. Doesn't mean they won't get offered or hired from time-to-time, but just look around the NBA. Most of those coaches did not coach college basketball. Most NBA head coaching candidates are not college head coaches. Why try to argue that point?

All candidates considered
, few college coaches are offered NBA head coaching jobs.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  5m 5 minutes ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Billy D talks to Bob Stoops about living in Oklahoma. Two are good friends: http://tinyurl.com/nyxnkvc

jbcarol

Trent Shadid @Shadid13  ·  14h 14 hours ago

Here's why I'm unsure if Billy Donovan to the #Thunder is a good move. From @DarnellMayberry: http://okne.ws/1QCIdco ...

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

We'll see where Donovan/Thunder talks go, but the feeling among some in Florida last week who had talked to Billy D was that he was leaving.

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  3h 3 hours ago
ESPN reporting Billy Donovan weighing options, expected to decide within 48 hours whether to leave #Gators for OKC: http://bit.ly/1Kt81Dw

greasy_corner

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 29, 2015, 03:00:01 pm
In an interview on Knoxville's sports animal, Gainesville writer Frank Frangie said John Failphrey would be the most likely replacement for Donovan if he leaves. In his words, "I think John is the best choice and would be named the head coach immediately." Go for it Gators - he's a winner!
[/quote
Quote from: jbcarol on April 29, 2015, 03:17:10 pm
Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

We'll see where Donovan/Thunder talks go, but the feeling among some in Florida last week who had talked to Billy D was that he was leaving.

It will stink to lose a good conference opponent.

Meh, screw the gaytors

thebignasty

Kristers Zedaks  is going to take the SEC by storm now.

-Blu

Looks like he's about 75% gone.  Going to be interesting to see who Florida hires and who stays/decommits. 

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 23m23 minutes ago

DEVELOPING: Thunder are nearing agreement with Billy Donovan to make him their new head coach. (via @ESPNSteinLine)

Marshfieldhog

Lol, that would be too good to be true

hoglady

Can't even imagine that Florida would consider that.
Pelphrey is not capable of running a program - it's not a question of whether he's a good coach or not. He's really not head coach material. He can't handle the players, he can't handle the academic side of it - he just doesn't have it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

0% chance Pelphrey replaced Donovan. That's ridiculous.

-Blu

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 02:55:40 pm
It's my opinion that the right college coach is as good of a risk to take (which what most NBA coaching hires are) as anyone else that isn't an already-established NBA head coach. There's 30 NBA teams and you just mentioned 3 job offers to college coaches. Plus the 2 already in the NBA (Stevens and Synder). College coaches are a minority of the targets for NBA head coaching jobs. My position or opinion has not changed, but I really don't see any kind of fascination with NBA front offices pursuing college coaches. In fact, I think they're very, very selective when they do so. There's much more of a fascination with hiring coaches who have struggled or had moderate success at other NBA stops and "up-and-coming" assistants.
1. In terms of GM's having a "fascination" with college coaches (undeservedly), we're just arguing over semantics at this point. To me, it's a fascination because they are looking at two college coaches to fill the two best vacancies, in spite of evidence showing college coaches to be busts in the pros (including Cal already having a history of shooting blanks in the NBA).
2. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Give me the up and comer assistant vs. the college coach any day.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 29, 2015, 03:00:23 pm
Didn't say they don't. Just that they are far fewer of them offer than NBA assistant coaches and coaches with prior NBA head coaching experience. That's fact. There is no fascination. Doesn't mean they won't get offered or hired from time-to-time, but just look around the NBA. Most of those coaches did not coach college basketball. Most NBA head coaching candidates are not college head coaches. Why try to argue that point?

All candidates considered
, few college coaches are offered NBA head coaching jobs.

It's a lot closer to half than you think.