Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU Basketball

Started by razorbackchamps94, January 20, 2015, 07:39:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  56 minutes ago
FINAL SCORE: #LSU 84, Auburn 61. This one was bloody. Martin with 25 and 12, Patterson with 16 and 7 assists. LSU is 20-8, 9-6 in SEC.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Sheldon Mickles @MicklesAdvocate  ·  2 hours ago

#LSU still on brackets of http://ESPN.com , http://CBSSports.com  experts http://blogs.theadvocate.com/fullcourtpress/2015/02/27/lsu-still-brackets-espn-com-cbssports-com-experts/ ...

QuotePalm lists LSU, which will host Ole Miss on Saturday in a key Southeastern Conference matchup, among his teams "on the bubble."

Palm has LSU as a No. 9 seed, which is where the Tigers were earlier this week...

Lunardi still has a No. 10 seed LSU...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  1 minute ago
#LSU up 66-56 [on Ole Miss] at the final TV stoppage with 3:31 to go. Second half has been a snapshot of how well the Tigers can play. Impressive.

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  1 minute ago
FINAL RECAP | #LSU surges back from offensive struggles, barrels past Ole Miss 73-63 http://s.nola.com/MSOzGBM  via @nolanews

Todd Politz @tpolitz  ·  2 hours ago
Today, @LSUbasketball overcame halftime deficit for 6th time in 2014-15; t2nd-most in season since 1975-76. Most: 7 (1986-87)

jbcarol

Scott Rabalais @RabalaisAdv  ·  11 hours ago
#LSU hoops column: Tigers starting to look dangerous after winning 3rd straight. http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11725957-123/rabalais-tigers-starting-to-look ...

QuoteThere have been times when LSU looked like it couldn't be bothered to match its opponents intensity and desire. But Saturday, the Rebels were, like the Tigers, in much need of an NCAA résumé-boosting victory.

Now LSU is again the proud owner of four wins over RPI Top 50 teams (at least as of Saturday), adding a two-game season sweep of Ole Miss to earlier wins over Georgia and at West Virginia.

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  1 hour ago

Hard-charging #LSU doesn't need any help to get motivated for Vols http://s.nola.com/Ey6oz7R  via @nolanews

QuoteA Feb. 5 loss to Auburn began a stretch of three games in five days stretch put everybody connected to the LSU program in time-to-switch-gears mode.

Since then the Tigers (21-8, 10-6 SEC) have played at a different level of consistency and have landed on very solid footing for NCAA Tournament consideration.

They try to extend their current upswing at 6 p.m. Wednesday when Tennessee (14-14, 6-10 SEC) visits the PMAC for the final home game of LSU's home season.

Since the 81-77 loss to AU -- a team that is in a fight to avoid a 13th or last-place finish in the SEC -- LSU is 5-2 and is on a current three-game winning streak...

jbcarol

Shelby Mast @BracketWAG  ·  1 hour ago
I have @LSUBasketball as a lock for the bracket, that might change if this game continues the way it's going

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  45 minutes ago
FINALSCORE: Tennessee 78, #LSU 63. The Tigers have a new clunker for their collection and now head to Arkansas in likely must-win mode.

Nipsey Mussle

jbcarol

Josh Ward @Josh_Ward  ·  4 hours ago

LSU safety Jamal Adams expressed frustration with some LSU fans after last night's basketball loss: http://theadvocate.com/news/11762737-123/lsu-safety-jamal-adams-sounds ...

Fans left early.  The football player was supporting the basketball team.

JamalAdams™ @TheAdams_era  ·  15 hours ago

I know its not all LSU fans. I'm grateful for all the support. I just understand what it's like on the other side, as a pressured athlete.

JayBell

I had been happy to see the top 6 teams in the SEC taking care of business all season.....until this week.  A&M and LSU's losses could cost them dearly next Sunday.

jbcarol

LSU at No. 18 Arkansas

WHEN: 1 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: Bud Walton Arena

Fayetteville, Ark.

Radio: WWL 870-AM/105.3-FM, WDGL-FM 98.1 (Baton Rouge)

TV: ESPN

Records: LSU 21-9, 10-7 SEC; Arkansas 24-6, 13-4 SEC

SU (21-9, 10-7 SEC)

Probable starters

G Tim Quarterman (6-6 So.) 11.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 4 apg, 76% FT (79-104)

G Keith Hornsby (6-5 Jr.) 13.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 39.3% 3-pt. FG (66-168), 79.1% FT (53-67)

G Jalyn Patterson (6-1 Fr.) 6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.3 apg, 34.4% 3-pt. FG (33-96)

F Jarell Martin (6-10 So.) 16.6 ppg, 9 rpg, 51% FG (180-353), 71.5% FT (123-172)

F Jordan Mickey (6-8 So.) 16 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 51.7% FG (187-362), 106 blocks

--- OR ---

F Brian Bridgewater (6-5½ So.) 2.2 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 55.3% FG (26-47)

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/03/lsu_at_arkansas_chalk_talk.html

jbcarol

#LSU rises off the mat and uses Keith Hornsby's 3 at the buzzer to top Arkansas http://s.nola.com/Wd72kbC  via @nolanews

Keith Hornsby @KHornsby4  ·  39 minutes ago
Biggest shot of my life! GEAUX TIGERS!!!! #lsubasketball

"ah, but don't you believe them."

jbcarol

#LSU off the bubble on CBS, ESPN projected brackets after knocking off 18th-ranked Arkansas http://s.nola.com/I86stIi  via @nolanews

Big day for #LSU winds up with No. 4 seed at SEC Tournament this week

jbcarol

Ron Higgins @RonHigg  ·  18 hours ago
LSU gets what it deserved. Played awful.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: jbcarol on March 14, 2015, 11:10:58 am
Ron Higgins @RonHigg  ·  18 hours ago
LSU gets what it deserved. Played awful.
Completely agree, the shot clock violation after the timeout was just awful.

Bo Mattingly says Eric Musselman is the best HC on the entire LSU coaching staff.

intelligence

https://vine.co/v/OY7bF16ZMQO

pathetic that this wasn't reviewed. its obvious offensive basket interference, and therefore LSU should have won.

jesterzzn

Rump Roast

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

SamBuckhart

That looked ok to me. Maybe we could employ the scientific method and try to get it reversed.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Rawker

Quote from: jesterzzn on March 20, 2015, 10:54:05 pm
Perhaps, but tis LSU so I care no sh*ts.

Agreed. LSU is the team that will ALWAYS severely underperform or just plain blow it, but will find it in themselves to beat the Hogs.  For that, they can s**k it.

Nipsey Mussle

If they don't miss their last 12 fg's and last 6 ft's, then calls like that wouldn't matter. If you take recruiting out of the equation, Johnny Jones is the worst coach in the SEC.

hoglady

I can't find much sympathy for a team that blew their lead the way LSU did - then bricked 7 free throws in a row ending the game. If you brick 7 free throws to end a game - you will lose 99% of them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawginbigd1

I wondered if it was watching it, however it doesn't matter, you miss 6 consecutive free throws to ice the game and you deserve to lose! They said it in the studio, there is not 10 and probably more like 6 teams in the field with more talent than LSU! Tiger fans should be furious with their underachieving team!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: intelligence on March 20, 2015, 10:47:35 pm
https://vine.co/v/OY7bF16ZMQO

pathetic that this wasn't reviewed. its obvious offensive basket interference, and therefore LSU should have won.

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

southarkhog06

not sure about gt but it definitely looked like he walked

razorJAcker

I don't know about goaltending, but college basketball officiating in general is the worst officiating in any sport, at any level.  It seems there are rarely any games without at least a few atrocious calls.  The officials abuse the ability to review plays, using it way too much, giving teams unnecessary free timeouts, and half the time they get the call wrong anyway.

There's also a huge lack of common sense in officiating.  For example, Providence's coach just got called for a technical.  What'd he do?  His team was down 8 with under four minutes left with their season on the line, and he slammed his chair down in the huddle trying to fire up his guys.  He didn't look at the officials, he wasn't talking to the officials, he wasn't even anywhere near an official.  Yet one arrogant d-bag official who feels like he has to go out of his way to leave his impact on the game has to run over from the baseline and make a big scene out of something that nobody would have ever known happened otherwise, giving Dayton two free throws in a close game down the stretch in the NCAAT.

College basketball officiating makes me want to  :puke:.

/rant

hoglady

Quote from: razorJAcker on March 21, 2015, 12:03:43 am
I don't know about goaltending, but college basketball officiating in general is the worst officiating in any sport, at any level.  It seems there are rarely any games without at least a few atrocious calls.  The officials abuse the ability to review plays, using it way too much, giving teams unnecessary free timeouts, and half the time they get the call wrong anyway.

There's also a huge lack of common sense in officiating.  For example, Providence's coach just got called for a technical.  What'd he do?  His team was down 8 with under four minutes left with their season on the line, and he slammed his chair down in the huddle trying to fire up his guys.  He didn't look at the officials, he wasn't talking to the officials, he wasn't even anywhere near an official.  Yet one arrogant d-bag official who feels like he has to go out of his way to leave his impact on the game has to run over from the baseline and make a big scene out of something that nobody would have ever known happened otherwise, giving Dayton two free throws in a close game down the stretch in the NCAAT.

/rant

I agree - I was for Dayton, but that official should just pack his bags and be sent home after that call. What a total power hungry jerk!! Watched a lot of basketball never seen anything like that called.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MissippHog

intelligence

This chit got nothing to do with hating the corndoggers, i'm just saying they got jobbed. the player touched the ball when it was still on the cylinder, and thats basket interference

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: razorJAcker on March 21, 2015, 12:03:43 am

/rant

Now I don't watch a lot of basketball other than the Hogs and my sons' teams.  I used to coach and watch a ton of college basketball on TV; no NBA.

In general the problem with officiating is that the skill level of the officials, no matter the level, seems to be about 30% of the skill level of the coaches and players for whom they are calling games.  It's really quite a shame that after the hundreds of hours of practice and preparation that players and coaches have the outcome of their endeavors so strongly affected by such sub-par officiating.

It's sad.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Rocky Mountain Living

March 21, 2015, 08:17:11 am #132 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:28:17 am by Rocky Mountain Living
Quote from: Sow Lancelot on March 21, 2015, 06:32:36 am
Now I don't watch a lot of basketball other than the Hogs and my sons' teams.  I used to coach and watch a ton of college basketball on TV; no NBA.

In general the problem with officiating is that the skill level of the officials, no matter the level, seems to be about 30% of the skill level of the coaches and players for whom they are calling games.  It's really quite a shame that after the hundreds of hours of practice and preparation that players and coaches have the outcome of their endeavors so strongly affected by such sub-par officiating.

It's sad.

Officiating is crap on purpose.

Why?

Controversy = $$$

Exactly the same reason why they won't allow instant replay reviews on Soccer goals.

Controversy makes money and gets people talking....

For example: see Politics on TV and the money it generates  (24 Hr News Channels can sell commercials)

News and Sports are the only type of programming that make BIG MONEY anymore....most people don't DVR that type of programming to skip commercials

1highhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 20, 2015, 11:34:22 pm
I wondered if it was watching it, however it doesn't matter, you miss 6 consecutive free throws to ice the game and you deserve to lose! They said it in the studio, there is not 10 and probably more like 6 teams in the field with more talent than LSU! Tiger fans should be furious with their underachieving team!

No doubt, LSU has great talent on that team.  When they played us in the Bud, they played lights out and if they played that way they could just about beat anyone.  But Coaching wise, hmmmm.  And talk about being hot and cold, this spells LSU.  Is their team Junior and Senior heavy or are they a young team, if they're young, then watch out for the next few years, they'll be tough to get by.

jgphillips3

It's close.  Hard to tell in that video if he did touch it but it certainly could have been called and probably would have been called goaltending if it were against one of the royalty teams like Duke or Kentucky who were about to go down.

HogWild7886

nationwish

It seemed like his teammate thought that at least there was a good chance he touched it based on the way he reacted.

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta @RandyRosetta  ·  Mar 20
Stoyline of #LSU's final loss very similar to how Tigers' season unfolded: Rewind http://s.nola.com/iBuC5VM  via @nolanews

QuotePITTSBURGH -- So many good things for so long. Then way too many missed shots.

That's a good nutshell description of  LSU's loss to N.C. State Thursday night at the CONSOL Energy Center in an NCAA Tournament game. It also fits pretty well for the Tigers' rollercoaster season.

LSU's 2014-15 season came to a close with a 66-65 loss when Wolfpack forward BeeJay Anya tossed in a last-ditch left-handed jump hook that hung on the rim before dropping through the net with :00.1 on the clock.

That was the exclamation point on an 18-3 State run in the game's final 8:36.

Familiar storyline for sure. A plot line that the Tigers recycled too many times.

And no matter how it's shaped, explained or described, the conclusion remains the same: This one hurt and will for quite a while...

Like it did on occasion throughout the season, LSU's shooting touch from the floor disappeared. And has been the case in way too many games, every Tigers' trip to the free-throw line in crunch time was disastrous.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  12h 12 hours ago
I had Villanova in the national title game. Johnny Jones' coaching ripples through time to destroy my bracket.

jbcarol

The pressure will be on LSU basketball coach Johnny Jones next season now that the Tigers have added another top-50 prospect to an already loaded 2015 recruiting class.

QuoteBrandon Sampson, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Baton Rouge who had originally committed to St. John's joins a recruiting class that already includes Ben Simmons, the consensus No. 1 recruit in the nation, and Antonio Blakeney, a talented shooting guard from Orlando who at one time was committed to Louisville. In mid-December, the Tigers will welcome Craig Victor, a 6-9 transfer from Arizona. Victor also is a former top 50 recruit.

Keith Hornsby, Tim Quarterman and Josh Gray all return for Jones, who is 61-37 in three years as the LSU coach, including 29-25 in the SEC.

jbcarol

LSU Basketball @LSUBasketball  ·  May 1

Friday, @LSUCoachJones announced former Tenn. & Ole Miss coach Al Pinkins will join @LSUBasketball staff. http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=210064150 ...

Poor l'il Pinkins

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: jbcarol on May 03, 2015, 07:46:19 am
LSU Basketball @LSUBasketball  ·  May 1

Friday, @LSUCoachJones announced former Tenn. & Ole Miss coach Al Pinkins will join @LSUBasketball staff. http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=210064150 ...

Poor l'il Pinkins
Maybe Pinkins can prompt Johnny Jones to show his 2nd career facial expression.

jbcarol

Glenn Guilbeau @LSUBeatTweet  ·  25m 25 minutes ago

Aaron Epps in "role like Jarell Martin" in 2015-16, Johnny Jones said. Recovering from hernia surgery now, though. http://www.thetowntalk.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2015/05/04/lsu-coach-predicts-epps-will-good/26905123/ ...

QuoteEpps, who's 6-foot-9, 208 pounds, played in 14 games at the wing position and started two games last season, averaging 1.3 points and 1.4 rebounds per game.

"Epps is probably going to have the opportunity to play more of a role like Jarell Martin did this season," said Jones before speaking at the LSU Tiger Tour Stop at Alexandria's Riverfront Center Monday night. "He's going to play both the 4 and the 3 position for us. Last year he didn't have a chance to develop as much as we would've liked because he had some injuries where he couldn't be 100 percent."

Epps, who had a knee cartilage injury last summer, told The Town Talk Monday night that he had sports hernia surgery last Thursday and will be out for 6-8 weeks...

jbcarol

Rob Dauster @RobDauster  ·  2h 2 hours ago

LSU's '25 is coming' campaign doesn't try to hide they're monetizing Ben Simmons, and why it might be a good thing: http://wp.me/p1aWjM-2dz6

LSU has wasted no time in trying to capitalize on the talent of incoming recruit Ben Simmons, a consensus top two prospect in the Class of 2015.

This passage comes from a release that LSU sent out on Thursday morning:

QuoteThe LSU Athletics Department announced Wednesday the beginning of its newseason ticket summer sales campaign for the upcoming 2015-16 men's basketball season.

This year's campaign will focus on the arrival of the nation's No. 1 recruit, Ben Simmons, and his chosen jersey number "25."

Through this "25" campaign, fans wishing to become season ticket holders will have the opportunity to lock in their season tickets for the 2015-16 men's basketball season in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. Season tickets start at just $100.

Letsroll1200

Arkansas finished second!!!!!

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 12h12 hours ago

Jay Bilas: "With those two guys (Mickey and Martin), you wonder why LSU didn't win more." Answer: Johnny Jones

jbcarol

Gone are All-SEC forwards Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey, both taken in the first 33 picks of the NBA draft, but Jones returns a solid nucleus as well as the nation's third-ranked recruiting class — led by Ben Simmons — to push expectations to levels we've seldom seen in the middle of the summer.

QuoteSpeaking of the draft, NBADraft.net already has three of your players projected as first-round picks next season — Ben Simmons, Antonio Blakeney and Tim Quarterman. Does it concern you it might put some undue pressure on them and your team considering you're trying to get ready for your season?

I looked at Kentucky last year, and I'm sure there were a lot of notable players on that draft board last summer from that team. That wasn't a deterrent for them. Two or three of them made all-conference and four went in the NBA lottery, so excitement builds for a kid like Tim Quarterman, who people wondered why he had a scholarship as a freshman. But through his development, he became an impact player as a sophomore. So now that he's on somebody's draft board is exciting for us in knowing that what we're doing is working and guys know that they can get to their dream from here.

How much easier, not easy, has it become to recruit when you have back-to-back 20-win seasons and the third-ranked recruiting class in the nation?

One of the questions we get is, "You guys have pros?" Or, "How many guys have you sent to the pros?" We've only been here three years, and we have three guys drafted and that speaks volumes because not a lot of programs can say that. I think we had as many guys drafted this year than both the Big 12 and Big East conferences. When you look at those numbers, it's a great positive because people look at us and say, "Hey, they develop their talent, they're winning, they're competing at a high level," so it's encouraging. That's why a lot of interest continues to be shown. When you have a guy like Ben Simmons coming in and see where he's already being projected to go next year, it helps in terms of our recruiting.

The SEC seems like it's becoming a who's who of college coaches with a guy like (Kentucky's) John Calipari there and (Auburn's) Bruce Pearl coming back (last year) and now this year with (Mississippi State's) Ben Howland, (Tennessee's) Rick Barnes and (Alabama's) Avery Johnson coming in. How competitive is it getting?

We lost some good coaches, like Billy Donovan at Florida taking an NBA job, and we lost Cuonzo Martin at Tennessee two years ago. I think the SEC should be a destination job. It was for Billy for 19 years, and he won two national championships. That says a lot, and the new coaches coming in speak volumes of the level of respect that people have for the SEC. Look at Avery. He was an NBA coach and got to the finals. Rick Barnes and Ben Howland, what they've done at this level for a long time speaks volumes for their abilities.

jbcarol

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas 18m18 minutes ago

Jay Bilas retweeted LSU Basketball

Good business, good ad, and proves players have major economic value. It's not just the uniform, but who's in it.

LSU Basketball@LSUBasketball

131 days until we suit up! Be there: http://lsul.su/1516MBKTix 

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas 5h5 hours ago

Woke up, and I felt like ballin'. Ain't even got up out the bed and the money callin'. I gotta go to work.

jbcarol

Sheldon Mickles ‏@MicklesAdvocate 4h4 hours ago

#LSU freshman Simmons to attend Gatorade athlete of year ceremony http://blogs.theadvocate.com/fullcourtpress/2015/07/07/lsu-freshman-simmons-to-attend-gatorade-athlete-of-year-ceremony/ ... @AdvocateSports @SportsManias

jbcarol

Sheldon Mickles ‏@MicklesAdvocate 2h2 hours ago

#LSU men's basketball names Brendan Suhr as associate coach http://blogs.theadvocate.com/fullcourtpress/2015/07/28/lsu-mens-basketball-names-brendan-suhr-as-associate-coach/ ... @Sportsmanias