Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

chavis to a&m

Started by ballz2thewall, December 30, 2014, 11:32:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

that's what "they" report.  a few boards are reporting it. 

several articles on it.  google it.
The rest of the frog.

collegestationhog

Everyone here in College Station is saying its a done deal. I know Chavis has done an amazing job at LSU, but im not extremely impressed with the hire.

ballz2thewall

the defense was lousy today.  not very good at all, total game considered.

could be the looming cloud. dunno.  he's been a hot commodity for a while.
The rest of the frog.

collegestationhog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 30, 2014, 11:39:14 pm
the defense was lousy today.  not very good at all, total game considered.

could be the looming cloud. dunno.  he's been a hot commodity for a while.
There were a few years that LSU defense was nasty and a nightmare to face, but last few years it doesn't seem that way.

ballz2thewall

i don't really know what to buy into when i read the lsu homer's criticisms of miles, etc.

tonight, some of the offensive series were a mystery.  baffling. 

basically everyone, homers and non homers, think the tigers should be better.

it's hard to tell on the outside.
The rest of the frog.

SquidBilly

He's a good DC as long as he has elite talent to work with.  But does that make him a great DC?  Look at what Robb Smith did here this year in comparison.  He came in and started work with a defensive staff he had little to no prior experience with.  He took basically the same players we had last year that didn't seem to be able to stop anyone and he's worked wonders in one season.  Have yet to see Chavis do that. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 30, 2014, 11:54:36 pm
He's a good DC as long as he has elite talent to work with.  But does that make him a great DC?  Look at what Robb Smith did here this year in comparison.  He came in and started work with a defensive staff he had little to no prior experience with.  He took basically the same players we had last year that didn't seem to be able to stop anyone and he's worked wonders in one season.  Have yet to see Chavis do that. 

Chavis going to A&M is going to cost us more than it will LSU.

lechon

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 30, 2014, 11:54:36 pm

SSHHHHH... keep it down..we need to get him signed to a new contract
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

SquidBilly

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 30, 2014, 11:58:10 pm

Chavis going to A&M is going to cost us more than it will LSU.

How so?

texas tush hog

ballz2thewall

i tend to take a different view with most coordinator changes. there are exceptions.  when changing philosophies on offense, from power to finesse for example, a coaching change is noticeable.

on defense, it's less drastic.  most of the changes are player oriented and not due to schemes in my opinion.  of course, it's all related. too; the defense is very heavily influenced by the offense that the team runs.

at a&m; if sumlin keeps the same offensive scheme going, i'm not sure how much difference a coordinator will make.
The rest of the frog.

SquidBilly

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 31, 2014, 12:02:10 am
The price of Robb Smith just went up exponentially.

True, but Long and Bielema should have already been having those discussions regardless of this.  We need to start paying our assistants at a level where it will only make sense for them to leave for HC gigs. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 31, 2014, 12:13:23 am
True, but Long and Bielema should have already been having those discussions regardless of this.  We need to start paying our assistants at a level where it will only make sense for them to leave for HC gigs. 

Let's hope you're right. But ticket prices will have to rise accordingly, along with donation requirements.

popcornhog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 30, 2014, 11:32:21 pm
that's what "they" report.  a few boards are reporting it. 

several articles on it.  google it.

Not saying it isn't gonna happen, but fyi it isn't being reported yet by any legitimate media outlets.
WPS

SquidBilly

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 31, 2014, 12:16:02 am
Let's hope you're right. But ticket prices will have to rise accordingly, along with donation requirements.

Not necessarily.  The money from the SEC should increase this year due to the SEC network.  And we were already showing a profit as an athletic department anyway.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: collegestationhog on December 30, 2014, 11:37:58 pm
Everyone here in College Station is saying its a done deal. I know Chavis has done an amazing job at LSU, but im not extremely impressed with the hire.

Why would that not be an amazing hire..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  3 hours ago
Story: #LSU has sued former DC John Chavis for breach of contract  School asks for $400,00 buyout, other monies
http://bit.ly/1Dj29HG  #TAMU

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  3 hours ago
So, bottom line (so far), Texas A&M stands by its man in new DC John Chavis -- said disagreement is w/ LSU and that it owes LSU nothing.

To be clear: John Chavis will absolutely be at A&M this coming season. A&M stands by him in the lawsuit, & will pay buyout to LSU if needed.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kate Hairopoulos @khairopoulos  ·  15 hours ago
Chavis will coach during upcoming spring season, says school spokesman Jason Cook. A&M wouldn't comment further, citing active litigation.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kate Hairopoulos @khairopoulos  ·  17 hours ago
Attorney for John Chavis releases statement echoing A&M's. Says A&M inclusion in suit w/ LSU was necessary to resolve "dispute LSU created."

jbcarol

Glenn Guilbeau @LSUBeatTweet  ·  11 hours ago

We have a name for LSU-Texas A&M Rivalry ... The Buyout Bowl. My Column: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/columnists/glenn-guilbeau/2015/03/01/buyout-bowl-lsu-texas-rivalry-getting-picy/24238745/ ...

QuoteBATON ROUGE – After one of his team's finest efforts last, LSU football coach Les Miles waxed on as only he can following his team's 23-17 victory at Texas A&M last Thanksgiving night.

"I think it's a tremendous rivalry," he said. "We need a trophy. Somebody needs to come up with a trophy. There's so much petroleum right? On both ends. Maybe some kind of big petroleum something."

Someone in the audience made a suggestion.

"No, not a barrel," Miles answered with joking disdain. "A wrench or something."

It's only about three months later, and Les got his wrench all right — and a whole lot of gasoline.

The wrench's name is John Chavis, and he has ratcheted up this rivalry...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  1 hour ago

Chavis begins job of improving Texas A&M defense - complete w/ life-sized head shot of Chavis: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Chavis-begins-job-of-improving-Aggie-defense-6111335.php ... @HoustonChron

QuoteCOLLEGE STATION - The John Chavis era of defense at Texas A&M roared to a start on Monday night in the indoor complex with the same four words yelled about 10 times: "Get down! Let's go! Let's go! Get down! Let's go!"

Chavis, 58, was in hot pursuit of a cluster of A&M defenders during a drill early in the Aggies' first spring practice. Clearly a new day has dawned defensively around the Bright Football Complex.

"We were standing out there before practice ... and he said, 'Coach, I can't tell you how excited I am for today,' " A&M fourth-year coach Kevin Sumlin said. "I told him, 'I can't tell you how excited I am, too.' "

Chavis, who spent the last six seasons at LSU, filed a lawsuit on Friday against his old school and his new school, after LSU claimed he still owes $400,000 from his previous contract...

jbcarol

Aggies everywhere had to be excited watching video of 58-year-old defensive coordinator John Chavis running the players through drills.

Quote"He's been excited since he's been here," Sumlin said. "We've had a lot of great conversations. He told me today, as we're standing out there before practice, he's looking at those white helmets. He said, 'Coach I can't tell you how excited I am.' And I said, "I can't tell you how excited I am, too.'"

Sumlin said the practice went at a teaching-type pace for the first day, with the players in helmets and shorts, so Chavis didn't get to see Sumlin's high-powered, fast-paced offense.

"It was kinda interesting at the end, I said, 'Hey,' but before I could say anything, he said, 'Coach, that was good,' but he said, 'We can go faster than that, don't worry about.'

"I said, 'All right, be careful what you wish for, we can go real fast here.'"

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  19 minutes ago

SEC morning links http://es.pn/1KxnsOS

QuoteJohn Chavis got the opportunity to address his pending legal issues on Thursday, not that Texas A&M's new defensive coordinator went into much detail about the legal wrangling over whether he owes LSU a buyout after joining Kevin Sumlin's coaching staff in January. The gruff veteran coach immediately shot down questions about the subject when asked about the issue following Thursday's practice. (Video of Chavis' interview available at link above as well as summary of the issue). The longtime SEC assistant was very complimentary of Texas A&M and the resources at the program's disposal in his first media appearance. But he clearly didn't want to discuss the lawsuit, which has been a bitter subject over the last week -- particularly in Baton Rouge...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  33 minutes ago

For those claiming John Chavis never smiles, I offer:

Chavis on Chavis: Texas A&M's new DC goes deep on a variety of topics (Aggies Blog): http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/03/chavis-on-chavis-aggies-new-defensive-coordinator-goes-deep-on-many-topics/ ...

QuoteChavis: "In our system, we want to be good at defensive end, & it didn't take us long to figure out we've got some pretty good talent there"

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  Mar 6
John Chavis assesses Aggieland http://es.pn/17Yv5fv

QuoteWhat drew "The Chief" to Aggieland? In a word: resources.

"What wouldn't be appealing?" Chavis said. "I mean, we're talking about a university, look what's going on — look at what's going on with the facilities. This is a university that's wanting to invest, not just wanting, but has invested in its program. If you look at that stadium it's a place where you can recruit, there's no doubt about that; there's a wealth of talent in Texas, so why wouldn't you want to be a part of this program at Texas A&M?

"To be quite honest with you we're building to win championships. That's what it's all about. I want to be a part of a championship program. There's no question you can win them here at Texas A&M and that's what we're looking forward to."

Chavis, who retained all three Texas A&M full-time defensive assistants that were on staff prior to his arrival – Terry Price, Mark Hagen and Terry Joseph – said the chemistry with his new staff is "really good" and that they're "excellent football coaches." The talent needed on the roster to succeed exists in Chavis' mind; the biggest thing he said he will work on is the unit's confidence. The Aggies ranked last in the SEC in yards per game allowed and rushing defense each of the last two seasons.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  3 hours ago
Latest suit paints picture of John Chavis' final days at #LSU & reason he left: It was the Les Miles clause - http://bit.ly/1DhZjrK

Chavis says #LSU owes him $200K; LSU serves Chavis w/motion seeking answers for his January dealings w/ #TAMU

QuoteIn the amendment, filed in 272nd District Court in Brazos County, Texas, Chavis claims LSU owes him more than $205,000 in unpaid incentives and vacation time and that the school unlawfully doctored his 2012 contract, making it void.

Meanwhile, LSU filed its own amendment to a lawsuit it filed two weeks ago. The school is seeking answers for Chavis' involvement with Texas A&M before A&M officially announced his hire Feb. 13. The school served, or plans to serve, Chavis with the motion of discovery, according to documents filed in the 19th Judicial Court in East Baton Rouge Parish and obtained by The Advocate late Friday night.

The amendments come two weeks after Chavis, in the initial lawsuit, asked a judge to decide whether he owes a $400,000 buyout to the school. LSU countersued the same day, filing its lawsuit in East Baton Rouge Parish, claiming Chavis owes the buyout for breaching his contract.

In the new filing, Chavis continues to claim that he owes no buyout, but he also argues the university owes him back pay, unlawfully altered his contract and breached the deal in multiple ways...

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  5h 5 hours ago

AM RT: #LSU challenges jurisdiction of Chavis' suit & takes swipe at #TAMU. "Aggies dire need for defensive help.." - http://bit.ly/1Bofpth

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  9m 9 minutes ago

Grantland: The John Chavis effect http://tinyurl.com/mm883sr

QuoteWhy did the longest-tenured coach in the SEC, a career assistant, leave LSU for Texas A&M? Obviously there's the money aspect of it. But maybe he saw the writing on the wall. Maybe he saw that no matter how good LSU's defense was going to be in 2015, the offense was going to hold the Tigers back from winning a championship.

"To be quite honest with you, we're building to win championships," Chavis told reporters earlier this month. "That's what it's all about. I want to be a part of a championship program."

Chavis clearly has his work cut out for him at Texas A&M. The Aggies have finished last in the conference in total defense the past two seasons. But there are pieces there, and if he can work his magic in Year 1, Texas A&M could be a championship contender...

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  48m 48 minutes ago

John Chavis finds a new football home in Aggieland http://es.pn/1CAOjR4

QuoteCOLLEGE STATION, Texas -- For nearly 30 years, John Chavis had only two football addresses, which in the coaching world is about as rare as taking an extended vacation in the fall.

He coached for 21 years at his alma mater, Tennessee, and spent the last six at LSU. Along the way, he was showered with other opportunities, both college and pro, but his loyalty always got the best of him and he never could bring himself to leave. So when he upped and left LSU for Texas A&M following the Tigers' Music City Bowl loss to Notre Dame last season, it wasn't written off as yet another coach bolting for yet another job...

What Chavis will say is that his exit from LSU had nothing to do with his relationship with LSU coach Les Miles, nor did it have anything to do with money or any of the Tigers' struggles on offense.

"You hear some of the things being said about why I left and my character being attacked, that it was about money or the offense there," Chavis said. "That's disappointing because it was never, ever about any of those issues. And let me tell you this: Coach Miles and I had a great relationship, and we still do. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a coach and as a man."

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  Apr 13

A glimpse of John Chavis' attack drill http://es.pn/1CAT6lB

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  24h 24 hours ago

Sumlin said Myles Garrett comes to practice with a smile on his face because Chavis' approach is: Get up the field. It's just, "Go."

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  Apr

Sumlin said DB Noel Ellis almost died last offseason from Type I Diabetes but is back practicing regularly (missed last season w/ illness).

jbcarol

Former LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis wants the school's lawsuit against him dismissed

QuoteMore filings were made Wednesday in the messy divorce between LSU and former defensive coordinator John Chavis.

Chavis, now in the same position at Texas A&M, wants LSU's lawsuit against him in Louisiana court dismissed and argues that Texas is the proper venue for the case.

The latest filings are mild compared to past documents in what's been nearly two months of litigation-filled sparring between LSU and Chavis over the coach's buyout. The school says he owes a $400,000 buyout, while Chavis and A&M claim he does not.

Chavis and his lawyers filed two documents Wednesday.

He responded to LSU's lawsuit in the 19th Judicial Court in East Baton Rouge Parish, asking the court to throw out the suit or, at least, temporary stop it until Chavis' own suit against the university is resolved.

jbcarol

SportsDayDFW @SportsDayDFW  ·  Apr 26

John Chavis' new scheme, intense Attack Drill impacting Texas A&M's defense | @khairopoulos http://d-news.co/M7F83 

QuoteA&M defensive players were introduced to new coordinator John Chavis' Attack Drill during this spring season.

Players had to fight through three blockers, one at a time, in an effort to reach a tackling dummy. Internet footage of the drill Chavis has been running for 25 years shows just how physical and intense the test can get.

"It's a tough drill — there's nowhere to hide," Chavis said. "You've got to be a man, got to go through it, got to work..."

jbcarol

C. John Chavis @CJohnChavis  ·  26m 26 minutes ago

Aggies have scored 4 runs since the kid in our box threw the BP ball into the field. #RallyKid

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  22h 22 hours ago

On-going legal fight between John Chavis and LSU continues http://es.pn/1F7HPjf

QuoteBehind all the hoopla that surround spring practices, there's been a very awkward back-and-forth between Texas A&M defensive coordinator John Chavis and his former employer, LSU...

The parties have field dueling suits against one another. LSU claims that Chavis, who left the Tigers for A&M after the 2014 season, owes the school $400,000 for breaking his contract early, while he and A&M claim he doesn't.

Well, it seems all this bickering could come to an end over the summer, as a judge could rule to dismiss LSU's lawsuit against Chavis at a hearing on June 29 in the 19th Judicial Court in East Baton Rouge Parish, according to court records. Chavis wants the lawsuit either thrown out or temporarily stopped until his own suit against the school is resolved.

Chavis is arguing lis pendens, which protects against duplicate litigation at the same time and searching for similar relief. He claims that both suits are identical to one another...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  May 12

Kevin Sumlin on hire of DC John Chavis: It was a great fit for us and a great fit for him. The buy-in (from team) ... has been great.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  May 21

Kevin Sumlin spoke in Midland on Wednesday -- good stuff here via the Midland Reporter-Telegram: http://www.mrt.com/sports/article_bca181a2-ff6f-11e4-9937-2fb581d02890.html ...

QuoteThis season with a more veteran team, a new defensive coordinator in John Chavis and a highly-touted recruiting class, led by top recruit and former Allen quarterback Kyler Murray, some prognosticators are calling the Aggies one of the sleeper teams to watch in 2015.

"I came into a .500 situation and if you would have told somebody four years ago that we would have won 28 games in three years in the SEC West, I think they would have been pretty happy with it," said Sumlin before speaking to local members of the 12th Man Foundation at the Petroleum Club of Midland.

Sumlin smiled and pointed out that about a quarter of the Big 12 head coaches -- Beaty, West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen and Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury -- used to be assistants for him.

The biggest coaching hire in the offseason was getting John Chavis to leave LSU for the defensive coordinator position at A&M.

"John Chavis has been a thorn in my side for the last three years," Sumlin said. "I'm tired of losing to John Chavis, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. He's a hell of a coach, he's got a lot of SEC knowledge from LSU to Tennessee and he does a great job."

jbcarol

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/102058/100-things-were-looking-forward-to-in-2015

QuoteJohn Chavis (and his lawyers?) returning to the Bayou with the Aggies

No, there won't be a judge in a robe pounding his gavel at midfield with high-priced litigators roaming the two sidelines on Nov. 28 when new Texas A&M defensive coordinator John Chavis returns to LSU. But with all the lawsuits out there between Chavis and his former employer, maybe there should be. Either way, Chavis gets his chance to show everybody on the Bayou what they're missing. -- C.L.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 11h11 hours ago College Station, TX

John Chavis tells @TexAgsRadio part of the plan of slowing Johnny Manziel w/ A&M vs. LSU was "forcing Johnny to go to his left."

John Chavis told @TexAgsRadio he didn't know much about tradition of Aggie Ring prior: That is truly special .. It kind of gives you chills.

Chavis to @TexAgsRadio on Myles Garrett: He's even better than I envisioned.

Chavis on @TexAgsRadio: We have a chance to have the two best defensive ends in college football (Myles Garrett & Daeshon Hall).

jbcarol

Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS Jun 12

Will John Chavis hiring finally give Texas A&M a strong defense and hurt LSU in the process? http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25212639/john-chavis-hire-can-cure-texas-ams-defensive-woes-hurt-sec-foes ...

QuoteSumlin knew his Texas A&M defense needed serious help. Who better to turn to than John Chavis, the LSU defensive coordinator who had shut down Sumlin's offense better than anyone in recent years?

"It's kind of like when I was at A&M (in 2002 as an assistant coach), we beat Oklahoma and they were No. 1, and the next year I was working for Bob Stoops," Sumlin said recently from the SEC's spring meetings. "If you can't beat him, hire him."

The Chavis-Texas A&M marriage figures to be one of the more fascinating subplots this season in the SEC West. Not only does the change mean Texas A&M might finally have a solid-to-strong defense, the Chavis hiring resulted in bad blood over his departure at LSU. Chavis is suing the Tigers -- and also the Aggies for technical reasons -- over his claim that he doesn't owe a $400,000 buyout that LSU is seeking.

The unusual lawsuit has seen LSU contend that Chavis owes the buyout for breaking his contract early. Chavis and Texas A&M claim no buyout is owed, and Chavis states that LSU owes him more than $205,000 in unpaid incentives and vacation time. The latest hang-up that's producing legal rhetoric is whether the case should stay in Texas or be moved to Louisiana.

Texas A&M is not a proper defendant in the case and the court "should not condone this collusive gamesmanship," LSU lawyers wrote in a court filing this month. "Chavis' delaying maneuver is a bald-faced attempt to keep an improper Texas defendant in this lawsuit and to bootstrap remand to a venue where that defendant is king."

Ah, college football...

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 13h13 hours ago

Brent Zwerneman retweeted John Chavis GolfClsc

John Chavis's charity golf tourney on Friday in Tennessee -- folks can bid for items online, check @ChavisGolf:

John Chavis GolfClsc ‏@ChavisGolf

The whole package so far (hoping 2-3 other come through by tomorrow),

A reminder. If anyone online wins any of the A&M gear, @CoachJohnChavis will also sign it if the winner wants.

jbcarol

Greg G. ‏@a_GG_ie  Jun 26
Killing time during lightning delay @ChavisGolf tourney. So here's #TheChief and I.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 20m20 minutes ago College Station, TX

New Texas A&M DC John Chavis allows his defenders one more day of play time before real fun begins in camp: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/08/countdown-to-camp-with-stomachs-firmly-won-hearts-and-minds-of-defenders-next-on-john-chaviss-to-do-list ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol