Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC East Football Recruiting Battles heat up

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 06:56:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  7h 7 hours ago

Nation's No. 1 athlete from Georgia ... de-commits from Alabama http://on-ajc.com/1yBHnH1

QuoteThe No. 1 receiver out of the state of Georgia (maybe anywhere) has backed off his commitment to Alabama.

Demetris Robertson, who is rated as the state's No. 4 overall prospect for 2016, announced his plans on Twitter on late Friday night.

Could UGA land Robertson? The Bulldogs appear to have a good shot, as assistant Mike Ekeler traveled to Savannah Christian Prep earlier this week to observe Robertson on the first day of the NCAA's spring evaluation period.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound Robertson had originally committed to Alabama last summer.

He is rated as the nation's No. 1 overall prospect at the "athlete" position but likely to play receiver in college.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

'16 Sevier County Bears 3-star QB Deuce Wallace gave a verbal to Vandy.

Would be biggest move from Sevier County to Nashville since Dolly Parton.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

'16 Webb City 3-star OT Trystan Castillo gave a verbal to Mizzou.

jbcarol

College of the Canyons 2-star OG Egidio DellaRipa gave a verbal to Vandy.

jbcarol

Michael Casagrande @ByCasagrande  ·  16m 16 minutes ago
Robert Washington commits to Florida, switches to Syracuse minutes later. http://ow.ly/M7i8x

four-star running back from North Carolina

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  6h 6 hours ago

Weekend review: UGA target abruptly commits to Vols http://on-ajc.com/1HKe4DP

QuoteBrodarius Hamm named Auburn and UGA as his co-leaders just over a week ago.

This past weekend, the 3-star offensive lineman from Spalding High School abruptly committed to ... Tennessee.

I'm not sure anybody saw that coming.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  8h 8 hours ago

NEW: Mark Richt jokes about Michigan weather for football camp http://on-ajc.com/1FxomqV

QuoteUGA's Mark Richt joked about the Michigan weather when he was asked if he planned to attend Jim Harbaugh's football camp next month.

"Hey, I don't know how many guys wanna go up there and freeze their tail off, but if that's what they want to do that's up for them," Richt told Macon.com's Seth Emerson...

Harbaugh has upset other coaches, particularly the entire SEC, for taking advantage of an NCAA loophole to serve as a "guest coach" at summer camps more than 50 miles away from Michigan's campus. Harbaugh will attend nine camps in seven days this summer, and then has invited representatives from every high school and college in the nation to come to Michigan camp in mid-June...

jbcarol

SportsTalk @sportstalksc  ·  17h 17 hours ago

#STRecruiting: USC commitment Freeman not close to shutting things down http://goo.gl/fb/ZQ14bo

QuoteRB CJ Freeman of Greensboro committed to USC in late March but it won't be until late this year before the Gamecocks know if they have him for certain...

"I'm solid right now with my commitment but I'm going to take a few unofficial visits to other schools that have offered," Freeman said.  "Virginia Tech was my number one school before South Carolina.  I definitely enjoyed the spring game.  They have a new person on their staff named Kevin Jones.  He played there and in the league.  He was one of the main ones talking to me.  He told me he wanted me and that I can be a true running back there.  I may take another visit to Virginia Tech.  I'm still solid with my commitment.  The visit was good, and I may take another visit, but right now it didn't make me reconsider."

The Gamecocks are doing all they can do to make sure Freeman doesn't slip away.  He said he hears from them practically every day.

"Me and Coach Sands have a real good relationship," Freeman said.  "I'm going to visit there this summer, maybe for the Showcase Camp."

Freeman is also looking at visiting Auburn, ...

jbcarol

'16 Southwest Miami unrated CB Christopher McWilliams gave a verbal to Florida.

jbcarol

Thomas Goldkamp ‏@ThomasGoldkamp

It's early, but Florida's 2016 recruiting definitely makes you scratch your head a bit.
3:24 PM - 3 May 2015

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  13m 13 minutes ago

Roquan Smith, who is committed but not signed by UGA, will officially be recruit when he attends 1st class w #Dawgs: http://on-ajc.com/1FJx4m2

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  4h 4 hours ago

#UGA 5-star football signee Terry Godwin @TerryGodwin_4 will work out for Atlanta Braves on May 28 at Turner Field: http://on-ajc.com/1E3Hbxl

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  May 3

The Randy Shannon effect: 11 of the 20 in-state recruits landed by #UF since January have come from South Florida.

jbcarol

Recruiting Rewind: UGA recruit 'almost signed' with Auburn http://on-ajc.com/1EcIavp

QuoteRoquan Smith, who is headed to UGA, surprised a lot of people when he initially committed to UCLA over the Bulldogs in front of ESPN cameras on February's signing day.

We know how all of that turned out. The linebacker from Macon County High School held off from signing with UCLA after nearly getting burned with a coaching change by the Bruins. He ultimately committed to UGA, where Smith will be an official recruit when he enrolls in classes in a few weeks.

But before there was UCLA or UGA, there was another place that Smith thought he headed. Smith, who was tight-lipped during the entire recruiting process, admitted to the AJC this week that he could've been Auburn-bound.

"I never really told anyone publicly who my leader was — once upon a time, Auburn was my leader," Smith said. "They were really in it. For a moment, I thought I would be signing there.

"Auburn led for me early in my junior year for a time. I don't know what really happened there. They changed some defensive coaches, and the DC (Ellis Johnson) wasn't recruiting me that hard. He wasn't on me that much, so I looked more at the schools that were on me."

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  21h 21 hours ago

#UF has landed OT Stone Forsythe (6-7, 325), who was offered Monday. #Gators now have 10 commits for 2016.

3-star from Winter Garden West Orange

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  15h 15 hours ago

Louisville offered a 7th grader RT @teewebb9: Pumped! Just got my 1st D-1 offer 4 FOOTBALL from the Louisville Cardinals!

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  May 15

QB Dwayne Haskins has committed to Maryland over Florida and others.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  May 14

.@247Sports has rated new #UF commit Mark Thompson as a four-star prospect with a 93 grade. #Gators

Juco RB

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  5h 5 hours ago

Congrats to one of nation's top WRs, Josh Imatorbhebhe @Ball4Him_24 of North Gwinnett HS (Ga) on USC commit. I thought he was Florida bound

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  15h 15 hours ago

DB Chad Clay didn't finalize #UGA choice until Jeremy Pruitt & Thomas Brown attended his HS spring game on Saturday: http://on-ajc.com/1ec9pjy

QuoteThe father of UGA's newest football recruit tried to do everything he could to beat the Bulldogs.

Now Chad Clay, who committed to UGA over Ohio State and Florida on Monday, will be trying to do the opposite to the archrival of the Bulldogs, Georgia Tech.

Clay's father, Willie "Big Play" Clay, played for Tech from 1988-91 and still leads the ACC school in career interceptions. The Jackets offered his son a scholarship, too, and finished fourth in the sweepstakes.

Chad Clay is a four-star recruit from Peachtree Ridge High School. He is rated as the state's No. 22 overall prospect...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Ben Cleveland: UGA 5-star OL commit talks recruiting http://on-ajc.com/1EWGVzG

5-star OL commit Ben Cleveland of Stephens County (Ga) HS

QuoteUGA's 2016 football recruiting class already has a dozen members, including a few big names.

And one of the biggest names is Ben Cleveland, a 5-star offensive lineman from Stephens County High School. He's rated as the state's No. 6 overall prospect.

It was Cleveland, along with 5-star quarterback Jacob Eason, who quickly bonded at UGA's Dawg Night prospect camp last summer. Both elite recruits ended up committing to the Bulldogs together that weekend...

jbcarol

'16 5-10, 170 3-star Richmond Benedictine WR Donaven Tennyson gave a verbal to Vandy.

jbcarol

NEW: College coaches give opinions on a "dark side" of recruiting --> http://on-ajc.com/1ek3Pvo

QuoteOne of this year's biggest recruiting stories was college football assistants taking other jobs only a day or two after national signing day. It happened at high-profile places such as UCLA, Texas, Florida and Ohio State, among other schools.

This was immediately after those assistants had convinced kids to sign letters of intent with colleges that they were leaving...

UGA fans know all about this type of situation because of Roquan Smith, who is headed to the Bulldogs. Smith committed to UCLA on signing day, but held off signing the paperwork because of a report that defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich had accepted a job with the Atlanta Falcons. Smith said Ulbrich told him that he had turned down the NFL job offer, but Ulbrich ended up taking it after signing day. Smith later committed to UGA.

Arkansas coach Bret Bielema: "Unfortunately, I've seen that for a number of years. I've lost five or six coaches to the NFL. I lost my running backs coach about a week after signing day to the New Orleans Saints. It's one of those things unfortunately that is out there. I don't how much you can control it, or curtail it. But I think that's more along the lines with the people that you're signing with, you know. If you're a head coach and you've got a reputation for being a little bit dishonest or maybe not being truthful during the recruiting process, then it's going to show up again and again and again in other areas of your program. So, the part that our guys realize is that we're the same dog every day. We're going to put things in a way that are consistent. We're not trying to fool anybody, or make anybody look silly. We're just trying to put our best foot forward, and help you understand that this is something you can be a part of."

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  May 21

Gamecocks drop in on O-line target in Jacksonville http://scne.ws/9vtFjG  #thestate

QuoteOffensive lineman Jordan Johnson of Jacksonville, Fla., received a visit at school Wednesday from South Carolina recruiters Shawn Elliott and Steve Spurrier Jr.

USC is one of his offers along with Louisville, Miami, Ole Miss, North Carolina, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Georgia Southern, Central Florida and Georgia Tech.

"They couldn't really talk to me because of some rule or something," Johnson said. "They were just shaking my hand and saying, 'What's up?' They are one of my top schools. When I went up there for the spring game, coach was like I could be a big factor for them, possibly start, because they've lost a lot of linemen."

Johnson (6-3, 260) is planning to visit a few camps this summer at USC, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida and Wake Forest...

jbcarol

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  ·  3h 3 hours ago

On the blog: La. athlete Ca'Ron Baham is MU's 4th commitment for the Class of 2016- http://bit.ly/1EqgrG8 .

Ca'Ron Baham, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound athlete from John Ehret High School in Marrero, La., announced via Twitter on Saturday that he committed to Missouri's class of 2016.

Baham is a three-star recruit according to 247Sports.com, Rivals.com and Scout.com and does not have a star rating on ESPN.com. He's the No. 60 athlete in his class according to Rivals and 247 ranks him as the No. 62 athlete in his class.

He also has offers from mid-major schools and Arizona and Arkansas among the Power 5 conferences...

Coach Gary Pinkel @GaryPinkel  ·  3h 3 hours ago

#MizzouMade: Marrero, LA! GP

jbcarol

SportsTalk @sportstalksc  ·  2h 2 hours ago
SportsTalk retweeted #⃣BEGREATBRUCE
#STRecruiting: 2017 QB Bruce Judson of Cocoa, FL & Ohio State commitment plans to visit Clemson this summer.

#⃣BEGREATBRUCE @4way_lilbruce  ·  4h 4 hours ago
Schools I will visit summer☀️🌴
Ohio State🅾
Georgia🐶
Florida🐊
Florida state🍢
Clemson🐅
Alabama 🐘
Auburn 🐅
Kentucky🐈🔵⚪️#BBN
Miami🙌🏾🔶

jbcarol

Florida lean ('17 CB Marco Wilson)

[vine]eqOtVZjlUti[/vine]

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  9h 9 hours ago

NEW: Nick Saban tries to court UGA RB commit http://on-ajc.com/1FD2wAR

QuoteThe new Alabama target is BJ Emmons, a 4-star running back from Morganton, N.C. He has been committed to UGA since last December. Emmons is rated as the No. 4 overall prospect out of North Carolina, and he's UGA's only commitment at running back for the 2016 class.

Saban called Emmons to deliver the news last Friday.

"BJ was ecstatic about it, and that's not knocking anybody who has already offered," Emmons' coach at Freedom High School, Brandon Allen, told the AJC.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  2h 2 hours ago

UF football lands another JUCO commit - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150527/articles/150529708 ...

QuoteFor the second time this month, Florida football has dipped into the junior college ranks for a recruit.

Offensive lineman Branton Autry verbally committed to UF on Wednesday, choosing the Gators over Arkansas, Arizona State, Baylor, Oklahoma and Ole Miss, among others.

The 6-foot-5, 320-pound Alabama native plays for Coffeyville C.C.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 3h3 hours ago

With addition of 5-star DT Julian Rochester @D1_Prospect123 UGA now has commitments from 4 of state's top 10. In May: http://on-ajc.com/1eB3u7E

jbcarol

'16 Theodore 3-star RB, Lamical Perine gave a verbal to Florida.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi May 30

Another Florida WR target, JUCO prospect Taj Williams, has committed to TCU.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 12h12 hours ago

What does Jacob Eason['s father] think of UGA's QB transfer? http://on-ajc.com/1IeR3Z3

QuoteJacob Eason heard the news about UVA QB Greyson Lambert's decision to transfer to UGA on Wednesday. He discussed it with both the Bulldog coaches and his father.

"Jacob and I talked to Georgia about it, and we think it's a great move," his father told the AJC. "The only thing that matters is winning games. And if this guy can help us get one more win, then it's all worth it."

Eason is the nation's No. 1 QB prospect, and he's committed to UGA. Eason will [plan to] enroll early in college with the Bulldogs next January, and he'll be eligible to compete for UGA's QB spot for the 2016 season. Meanwhile, Lambert will have two seasons to play [two] for the Bulldogs.

Mecole Hardman Jr. ‏@iiAm_Mesho

Georgia just waiting on @skinnyqb10 to get there! Because when he get there the QB battle over with 😂🏈

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  4h4 hours ago
Alabama commit earns UGA offer at camp http://on-ajc.com/1T1W8tZ

QuoteUGA offered one of Alabama's recruits on Thursday.

Netori Johnson is a rising junior from Cedar Grove High School who committed to Alabama last week.

On Friday, the 6-foot-5, 330-pounder worked out at UGA's 7-on-7 camp for offensive line coach Rob Sale — and he was later rewarded with an offer. Johnson, with his rainbow-colored hair, did the linemen session of the camp.

"They brought up to Coach Richt's office," Johnson told the AJC. "Coach Richt said that he liked me a lot, and that I had a scholarship offer from the University of Georgia."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  3h3 hours ago
Did UGA offer another 8th-grader a football scholarship? http://on-ajc.com/1T3c6DX

QuoteAnother eighth-grader is claiming an extra early scholarship offer from UGA. Callaway rising freshman Keiondre Jones posted on his Facebook page Friday evening that he had been offered by UGA.

Jones is a 6-foot-4, 260-pound offensive lineman who will be a freshman later this summer at Callaway High School.

Jones worked out with his team on Friday at UGA's 7-on-7 camp. He caught the attention of UGA offensive line coach Rob Sale, who singled out Jones for some additional footwork drills with two other linemen that were being evaluated for offers. UGA's Mark Richt took a knee a few feet away to watch closely...

Think about the emerging trend the way recruiters do. Especially ones that hear success stories from five-star prospects about always remembering their first offer when their National Signing Day rolls around...

jbcarol

'16 2-star Rock Bridge Safety Bryce Banks and 2-star Atlanta McNair ATH Christian Holmes both gave a verbal to Mizzou.

jbcarol

Coach Joggerst ‏@OFallonFootball

Congratulations to kicker Tucker McCann class of 2016 on his commitment to Missouri today. They are getting a great one! #Mizzou #SEC
10:30 AM - 8 Jun 2015

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 2h2 hours ago

We've updated our Trey Baldwin commitment blog with some thoughts from Baldwin- http://bit.ly/1T9D8JU .

With Baldwin's commitment, MU's class of 2016 midpoint moves across the state line to Hoxie, Ark.

QuoteFor the fifth day in a row, Missouri added to its recruiting class of 2016.

[3-star] Trey Baldwin, a 6-foot-3, 223-pound athlete from Cypress Falls High School in Houston, committed to the Tigers on Tuesday. Baldwin, who transferred from West Orange-Stark High School in April, visited Missouri last week.

He played wide receiver, running back and linebacker last fall for the Mustangs, who went 13-3 and lost to Gilmer in the state championship game. Baldwin said Missouri is looking at him as an outside linebacker and he plans to graduate high school early...

Baldwin is the Tigers' ninth commitment for 2016 and continues a string of pledges that reaches back to Friday, when Rock Bridge defensive end Tre Williams committed. Christian Holmes, a cornerback from Atlanta's McNair High School, followed Saturday, Rock Bridge defensive back Bryce Banks committed Sunday and kicker Tucker McCann from O'Fallon (Ill.) Township High School committed Monday.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 5h5 hours ago

The long version of how UGA landed Jacob Eason http://on-ajc.com/1cPq1MG

QuoteLAKE STEVENS, WASH. – How does the University of Georgia somehow land a decorated high school quarterback all the way from the state of Washington?

Washington and Georgia are almost on opposite sides of planet, located 2,724 miles apart. Jacob Eason, the nation's No. 1-rated quarterback, didn't grow up as a UGA fan but somehow found a way to the Bulldogs.

How did it happen? Eason's father, Tony Eason, sat down with the AJC to tell the real story, and it all starts – out of all things – with the NFL's New York Jets.

"Jacob had seen everything, and I know he was young. The hospitality of the coaches, and how nice they were down there at Georgia — I think he wanted to just make their day, and he wanted to please them (by committing). And I think that is what he's going to bring to Georgia. He is going to want to play his heart out for Georgia to win a title for those guys. He wants to do it for the people of Georgia. It has been a long time, since 1980. His goal is to bring that trophy back to Georgia."

The most amazing part of the story was that when UGA changed offensive coordinators, Eason and his family didn't even blink. Why is that? Mostly it has to do with Eason's unwavering faith in Mark Richt...

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 14h14 hours ago

I just wrote this story in 35 seconds: Manvel OL Mackenzie Nworah makes 10 commits for MU's Class of 2016- http://bit.ly/1e6Sv6b .

With Nworah's commitment, MU's class of 2016 midpoint moves to the middle of a patch of pasture just outside of Bradford, Ark.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 7h7 hours ago

In-state QB becomes UGA's first 2017 commitment http://on-ajc.com/1Tgq7yp

QuoteMcEachern QB Bailey Hockman announced on Twitter Friday morning he has committed to UGA.

Hockman, the son of McEachern High School coach Kyle Hockman, becomes the first member of UGA's 2017 recruiting class. 247sports rates him as a 4-star prospect and the No. 2 pro-style prospect in the country among rising juniors.

jbcarol

Mechanicsville Atlee 3-star Safety JJ Givens gave a verbal to the Gamecocks.

jbcarol

Nashville, IL OT Royce Newman gave a verbal to Mizzou.

jbcarol

'17 Chapin Hi TE Will Register gave a verbal to SC.

jbcarol

'16 Greater Atlanta Christian 3-star OT Devin Cochran gave a verbal to Vandy

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 13, 2015, 08:27:10 pm
Nashville, IL OT Royce Newman gave a verbal to Mizzou.

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 25m25 minutes ago

247Sports up and gave new MU commit Royce Newman four stars- http://247sports.com/Player/Royce-Newman-84051 .... He did not have a rating when he committed Saturday

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 2h2 hours ago

On the blog: Top UK football target Kash Daniel told @tomleachKY today that he's done with visits, has made decision http://bit.ly/1J20PAY

Quote[4-star] Paintsville linebacker Kash Daniel said Tuesday morning that he knows where he wants to play college football and is finished with recruiting visits.

Daniel — the state's top uncommitted player in the class of 2016 — made the statements on Tom Leach's radio program.

"I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go to school," Daniel told Leach. "I think it's a good decision for me."

Daniel visited Kentucky and South Carolina last week, and his decision is expected to come down to those two schools. He was scheduled to visit Florida later this week, but he said he will no longer take that trip.

He plans to announce his college decision July 4.

Daniel said he will pick a school that "feels like home," and noted that he's "pretty dead set" on his choice...

jbcarol

Marcus Lattimore makes big impact on USC's recruiting weekend

QuoteMarcus Lattimore shared a message with campers that included how, in five years, he went from being the No. 1 high school running back in the nation to two knee injuries in college and retired from the NFL. Lattimore, USC's career leader in touchdowns, encouraged players to cherish their football moments and surround themselves with accountable teammates, and prayed that they remain injury-free in their coming seasons.

His talk resonated with many of those in attendance. Defensive back J.J. Givens of Mechanicsville, Va., committed to USC during the Gamecock Showcase on Saturday and said Lattimore's encouragement had an impact on his decision.

"He even said that when he went down with his ACL injury, they kept pulling for him and wanted nothing but the best for him," Givens said. "That separated them. I haven't heard that from any other school. They really want the best for me. Even if I were to get hurt or anything outside of football, they would have my back."

Cade Carney, running back, Mocksville, N.C.: "I actually got to chill with him on the bus for a long time. I have never met someone with as big a name as him that was so down to Earth and interested in some high school recruit like me. He's as real as they come. To hear a true living testament of Carolina's commitment to their players is special."

Michael Pinckney, linebacker, Jacksonville, Fla.: "I loved it and Marcus is great. He is very inspirational. He puts everything in God's hand and is just a blessing. He loves the position he has been put in and embraces everything that comes his way."

Kelvin Harmon, wide receiver, Palmyra, N.J.: "It meant a lot how important football was and how quick it can all be taken away, especially hearing it from someone so young and talented like him."

jbcarol

Marc Weiszer ‏@marcweiszer 6h6 hours ago

Georgia-UCLA football series for 2025-2026 should help land recruits now entering second and third grade.

jbcarol

In SEC, only Vandy signs less in-state talent than Kentucky

QuoteKentucky signed more players from Georgia (50) than it did from its own home state of Kentucky (49) over the last 10 years.

Florida is second behind Georgia when it comes to producing SEC talent. Texas is third, followed by Alabama. Atlanta is the top metro area when it comes to producing SEC players. Dallas is No. 2 with Miami at No. 3.

Among SEC schools, only Vanderbilt signs fewer in-state players than does Kentucky. Just 19.2 percent of UK's football signees over the past 10 years have come from Kentucky. Only 17.5 percent of Vanderbilt's signees have come from Tennessee.