Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Marshall Henderson

Marshall Henderson to Guest Bartend at Oxford Bar

QuoteShockingly not sticking around Iraq where he now plays basketball, Henderson is scheduled to make a celebrity guest appearance behind the bar at The Levee tonight.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on May 03, 2015, 07:44:46 am
... Mark Ingram

Mike Strange @Strangemike44  ·  May 1

Mark Ingram, former #Vol long snapper, is the new athletic director at UAB, per http://Al.com .

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  24m 24 minutes ago

Win the press conference? New UAB AD Mark Ingram had no chance. http://ow.ly/MB1YN

QuoteScarblog: Ray Watts put Mark Ingram in a no-win situation Tuesday.

The UAB president let the new UAB athletics director face question after question that Ingram couldn't answer.

Can football really come back? Will the new AD have input into the decision? What conference will UAB move to if football doesn't return? Etc., etc., etc.

On an occasion that's usually a celebration, Ingram faced more of an interrogation than any introductory press conference Bartow Arena's Green and Gold Room has ever witnessed. Ingram didn't create the ongoing confusion that is UAB athletics, but he willingly walked right into the middle of it by taking this otherwise desirable job at this unusually tense time.

Watts gladly let him. The president sat there on the dais, showing no hint of leadership by taking no questions himself, while Ingram got grilled.

If you were looking for signs that Ingram's background as a former walk-on long snapper at Tennessee who's worked in the administration of four Football Bowl Subdivision schools meant he might be the perfect man to bring football back to UAB, you might've walked away disappointed.

Ingram actually said he played college football so long ago, it was hard to remember, but "my mom has the photos to prove it."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Jameill Showers

Kate Hairopoulos @khairopoulos  ·  May 5

Showers sat behind Tannehill, lost starting job to Manziel, then transferred to UTEP, then got hurt, then got chance. http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/dallas-cowboys-already-adding-undrafted-free-agents-including-a-qb-and-several-wrs.html/ ...

jbcarol

... Sylvester Croom

Tennessee running backs coach Sylvester Croom

QuoteThere was no telling where Jalston Fowler would land in last weekend's NFL Draft.

The former Alabama standout was the top fullback, but it's a specialty position these days. As Day 3 started with the fourth round, Fowler was nervous.

The Titans took him with the ninth pick of the fourth round ― 108th overall. If there was a reason to believe, it was Tennessee running backs coach Sylvester Croom. The former Alabama player and assistant coach always had positive feedback for the Mobile product.

"I talked to coach Croom and every time I saw him, he was like 'I'm trying my best to get you. I'm trying my best. I'm trying my best,'" Fowler said.

After seven rounds of the draft, Fowler was one of four fullbacks selected. He was also the first...

jbcarol

... Tony Nathan

Dave Hyde ‏@davehydesports

Tony Nathan shows its never too late, keeps his promise to Alabama coach Bear Bryant.  http://fw.to/atGiEHl

QuoteFormer Dolphin Tony Nathan keeps his promise, graduates from college at 58

ell, Tony Nathan kept his promise. He earned his college degree. He donned the cap and gown Saturday and cried during Alabama's commencement ceremony. His former teammate, Gus White, saw and congratulated him.

"His daughter was graduating, too,'' Nathan, 58, said.

A few college professors introduced themselves and said they were proud of him.

"I think they went to school when I played there,'' the former Miami Dolphins running back said.

The promise: In the winter of 1979, Nathan sat in coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's office to request dropping some college classes in his final semester. That was how it worked at Alabama. The Bear had final say on players' academics.

A couple All-Star football games caused Nathan to miss school, he was behind in classes and the professors were unforgiving. They suggested he withdraw from the courses. Nathan wasn't graduating that spring anyway due to football's demands.

"Promise me you'll get it done,'' Bryant said that day to Nathan.

Nathan promised. Who knows? Maybe he meant it, too. He was 22 and talented and about to become a third-round draft pick of the Dolphins and marry his college sweetheart, Johnnie.

He went and lived the life he dreamed, too. Football? He had an eight-year NFL career, scored 29 touchdowns and was a key component in Dolphins teams that made two Super Bowls.

Family? Johnnie and he raised three beautiful daughters. They pushed education in the Nathan household, too. First, Nichole, now 35, graduated from South Florida. Then Natalie, 32 and the youngest, Nadia, 27, graduated from Alabama.

"It's your turn, Dad,'' his daughters said.

And then his wife, who also left Alabama without a degree, completed hers.

"It's your turn,'' Johnnie said.

jbcarol

... Lee Mayberry

Matt Zimmerman retweeted
WholeHogSports @wholehogsports  ·  58m 58 minutes ago

Lee Mayberry graduates today, nearly 27 years after enrolling at the University of Arkansas http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/may/09/mayberry-graduating-27-years-after-ua-debut/ ...

QuoteThe 44-year-old former Arkansas basketball star enjoys the anonymity. He can glide through campus and blend in with the 26,000 students at the university he helped guide to the forefront of the college basketball world in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

"I'm an old guy," Mayberry said. "Their parents were probably here when I was playing."

Now, more than two decades after being selected in the first round of the NBA Draft, Mayberry is back at Arkansas to complete the American Studies degree he never earned during his first stint with the Razorbacks.

An 18-credit hour course load this spring has allowed him to graduate Saturday, which will get him one step closer to his dream of coaching at the collegiate level...

Jeff Long @jefflongUA  ·  58m 58 minutes ago

Jeff Long retweeted WholeHogSports

#NeverYield Lee!!!

jbcarol

... Courtney Fortson

Jefferson Davis High ‏@jdvolschamps

Former Vol, Courtney Fortson, overseas playing basketball and making a big name for himself! Great Job Courtney!
7:29 PM - 8 May 2015

jbcarol

... Tony Mitchell

"The Alabama basketball team is better off without Tony Mitchell"

Matt Zenitz @mzenitz  ·  19h 19 hours ago

Former Alabama basketball standout, castoff named MVP in Italy http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/05/former_alabama_basketball_stan.html ...

QuoteLega Basket Serie A is the top professional basketball league in Italy, one with rosters populated by several former college basketball standouts who have played — and contributed — in the NBA, such as Samardo Samuels and MarShon Brooks.

The best player in that respected league this year has been a former Alabama castoff.

Tony Mitchell, a 6-foot-6 forward who played with the Tide from 2009-12, was named league MVP Friday.

Samuels finished second.

Playing for Dolomiti Energia Trento, Mitchell's average of 21.3 points per game is second-best in the league, behind only former Memphis Grizzlies, Philadelphia 76ers and Indiana Pacers forward Sam Young.

jbcarol

... Tiny Richardson

Antonio Richardson ‏@tinyrichardson

Wanted to take this time to send a letter and thank everyone for the love over the years! It's been a great ride!

jbcarol

... Jeff Warren

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  May 8
#Mizzou teammates recall rugged teammate Jeff Warren, who died Friday at age 44 - Columbia Daily Tribune http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/teammates-recall-rugged-teammate-warren-who-died-friday-at-age/article_74679195-ccb1-5afd-9fbd-d13dae8e67a8.html ...

Kim Anderson @CoachAndersonMU  ·  May 8
Sad day for Mizzou Basketball with the passing of Jeff Warren. Join me in remembering this great man. Prayers to the family.

byron chamberlain @bc_chamberlain  ·  May 8
RIP to my friend Jeff Warren. We were in the same freshman class at #Mizzou He was good guy! #MizzouMade #MIZ

QuoteNames such as Smith, Peeler, Booker and Crudup come to mind first when remembering Missouri basketball in the early 1990s.

Jeff Warren was never a star like them, but he was a pillar of Norm Stewart's program during that era, starting for 2½ seasons, helping inspire a surprising run to the Big Eight Tournament championship in his senior season and serving as a friend and mentor to teammates.

"When you say great, that's probably an understatement of how good a guy he was," said John Burns, who played for four years with Warren at Missouri. "Great teammate, great person, great husband, great father. Just a good guy."

News of his death Friday morning at age 44 after a 10-month battle with lymphoma hit former teammates hard.

"It's very strange, this whole thing," Jed Frost said when reached by phone Friday afternoon. "Jeff is a person you could talk to about anything. He's a person that would help you. He's a person that just is as solid and as strong as you could possibly imagine."

He's remembered much the same way from his days wearing a Missouri basketball uniform.

Warren, a 6-foot-8 forward from Litchfield, Mich., played for the Tigers from 1989-93. A three-time Academic All-Big Eight selection, he set a school record for field-goal percentage as a sophomore when he converted 67.6 percent of his shots — a mark that stood until 2012, when Ricardo Ratliffe eclipsed it — and averaged 9.0 points and 5.8 rebounds over his final two seasons.

But it was his work ethic and rugged play that made him stand out.

"Jeff was one of those guys that would play through anything," said Melvin Booker...

Warren, who is survived by wife, Susan, and two sons, lived in different parts of Missouri since his playing days ended, returning to Columbia often for player reunions and getting together with some of his former teammates for golf outings in the summers.

He was living in Kansas City, working in medical equipment sales, last summer when doctors discovered a cancerous mass in his stomach. Burns said he underwent multiple rounds of chemotherapy and radiation and received a stem cell transplant from his sister in January, but none of it had the desired impact.

He went to Houston last month for one more treatment, hoping to slow the disease, but it proved unsuccessful.

"After he came back from Houston a month ago, we all kind of knew," Frost said.

In the last week, he moved into hospice care.

"He told me goodbye a couple weeks ago," Burns said. "He knew his time was coming. He said, 'Hey, I'm not a quitter, though.' He said, 'I know it's coming. I'm at peace with it. But I'm going to show my boys you don't quit.' "

jbcarol

... Kelenna Azubuike

Michael Stone @UKMichaelStone  ·  May 9

Congrats to my man @KAzubuike7 on graduating today! He made himself a promise when he went pro to finish! 🎓

A knee injury ended Azubuike's pro aspirations

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Jesse Palmer

Good Morning America @GMA  ·  10h 10 hours ago

... Jesse Palmer is officially joining the @GMA family as a special contributor!

jbcarol

... Peyton Manning

"Dave, you are to comedy what I am to comedy." - Peyton Manning to Letterman

jbcarol

... Felix Jones

Rainer Sabin @RainerSabinDMN  ·  17m 17 minutes ago

Source says Cowboys are working [out] RBs Ben Tate and Felix Jones. Both are aiming to resurrect their careers.

jbcarol

... Billy Baggett

Jim Kleinpeter @JimKleinpeter  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Former #LSU FBl (sic) star Billy Baggett dead at 85 @tigerdroppings, @lsufball, @geauxlsu http://s.nola.com/y1qKKql  via @nolanews

QuoteFormer LSU running back and Tiger Hall of Famer Billy Baggett died Wednesday morning in Lake Charles. He was 85.

William Boyce Baggett played at LSU from 1948-50, and was the team's leading rusher in his final two seasons, helping LSU to an 8-2 record in 1949. He averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 1949 and 6.5 yards per carry the next year.

"Billy Baggett was a great man and a tremendous supporter of LSU," Tigers Athletic Director Joe Alleva said in a release issued by LSU sports information. "He was one of the great players of his generation and he was passionate about LSU football. Billy was just as supportive to academics and the LSU Law School. He loved LSU. He's going to be missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Baggett was drafted by the NFL Los Angeles Rams in 1951 but did not play for them. He Played one season with the Dallas Texans - the only season of that NFL franchise's existence - and then entered LSU Law School, where he graduated in 1953.

A native of Greenville, Texas, he founded the Baggett-McCall law firm in 1958. He served as president of the Louisiana State Bar Association in 1980, president of the Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association in 1966 and in 1967 and as president of the Southwest Louisiana Bar Association in 1967. He also served on the Association of Trial Lawyers of America's Board of Governors from 1972 until 1975.

He is survived by his wife, Kara Baggett, three children -—

jbcarol

... Rudell Crim, Razorback DB, Case Manager

Richard Davenport @ArRecruitingGuy  ·  17h 17 hours ago

Richard Davenport retweeted Rudell Crim

Rudell is a special young man. Could see during recruiting process and at Arkansas. He remains that today.

Rudell Crim ‏@Finanza_

Moments like this make every second, every hard day, every sleepless night, every tear, and more...
https://instagram.com/p/29hrH2If-2/
4:01 PM - 21 May 2015

rcrim_jr17 hours ago
QuoteMoments like this make every second, every hard day, every sleepless night, every tear, and more worth it! The days I had with these young men change my life! Being able to work with these young men showed me why I been through everything I been through up to this point in life. I didn't only change these young men lives but they change my life as well each and everyday. I'm thankful to have been a part of this amazing history made by these young men!! I'm sad but excited to how amazing these young will continue to become and help change our world. Great group of young men and great great team staff I worked with as well ! Everyone has a story. Just don't be afraid to share it never know who live it may change !! #OurYouth #Thankful #Blessed #Changes #TellYourStory #CaseManager

Case Manager
Camp Outlook Juvenile
March 2015 – Present (3 months) Connell, Washington

jbcarol

... Jeronne Maymon

GoVolsXtra @GoVolsXtra  ·  May 21

GVX Audio: Catching up with Jeronne Maymon http://bit.ly/1ejjRpf 

QuoteThe 6'8" 260 lb power forward from Madison, WI, who will be one of several notable Vol alums at Mark Pancratz's VFL Legends Elite Skills Camp this June, spent the past year playing for the Hapoel Eliat B.C. of the Israeli Basketball Premier League.

Despite the distance from his family, Maymon felt it was a valuable step in his career.

"I think if you have a strong mind and you're strong-willed and you're ready to go over there and take care of business, it won't be that bad," Maymon said. "As far as the people and the place and the environment, I think it was a very good transition."

More than anything, Maymon feels blessed to be able to play. During his time at Tennessee, knee injuries and other issues made his future as a player very uncertain.

"I've been through a lot as a player, and I think it's a blessing for me to still be able to be playing right now," Maymon said.

The answer, Maymon said, has been in hard work, perseverance and the support of others.

"My mom always told me, 'never let how you feel dictate how you play', so I go out there and give my all regardless of how I feel."

Maymon, who played under Coach Cuonzo Martin during his time at UT, still talks to the coach regularly today and believes Martin has helped tremendously in developing his basketball career.

"Me and Coach Martin talk often," Maymon said. "He helps me, cuz, you know, he played overseas, and I call him to ask him a few questions—you know, how I can better myself as a person and a player. And he really helps me a lot."

Maymon also keeps in contact with several Vols overseas and continues to rely on the UT family as his career progresses.

He has kept regular contact with fellow players like Ron Slay—another Vol alum who will be at Mark Pancratz's VFL Legends Camp in June—and former teammate Josh Richardson, who took a leading role as a senior with the Vols this season.

jbcarol

... Damien Wilkins

The surprise of the week was learning that Damien Wilkins continues to play professionally. His good — but not great — college career ended with Georgia's 2003-04 season. He averaged 12.6 points as a senior playing for Jim Harrick.

QuoteWilkins, who went undrafted, played nine seasons in the NBA. This past season, he averaged 20.2 points for the Iowa Energy of the D League. He is the nephew of Dominique Wilkins.

NBA consultant Ryan Blake cited Wilkins as an example of a player who got himself into such good condition he remains a viable prospect at age 35.

"He's a guy who's going to have a lot of interest in the summer leagues," Blake said.

jbcarol

... Eric Berry

Terez A. Paylor ‏@TerezPaylor

#Chiefs coach says Eric Berry has completed cancer treatments, waiting on results: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article22361349.html ...
12:55 PM - 26 May 2015

QuoteChiefs coach Andy Reid said Eric Berry's recovery from Hodgkin lymphoma continues to go well.

"Eric is doing well," Reid said Tuesday, the first day of organized team activities. "He's going to get his big end-of-the-school (year) exam down here. He's been through all the treatments, so now the doctor is going to sit down with him and go over exactly what the results of all that are.

"So we don't have that, and Eric doesn't have that quite yet, but everything up to this point has point has been very positive from the doctor and from Eric. So I think we're heading in the right direction with that."

Reports about Berry's status have been positive. In early April, Berry's younger brother Evan — a sophomore defensive back for the Tennessee Volunteers — told reporters in Knoxville that Eric only had three treatments left, and that he didn't see them affecting Berry, who "wasn't worried" about his diagnosis.

Hodgkin lymphoma accounts for about 10 percent of lymphoma cases...

jbcarol

... Former Auburn football assistant coach Bud Casey

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog 11h11 hours ago

Former Auburn football assistant coach Bud Casey dies http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_4316fa1c-05b2-11e5-98a6-cf615ea3e3de.html ...

QuoteDothan native Travis "Bud" Casey had a vibrant personality, was quick to crack a joke and always appeared at ease with anyone he met.

Dothan native Travis "Bud" Casey had a vibrant personality, was quick to crack a joke and always appeared at ease with anyone he met.

After getting out of coaching, Casey served as a consultant and helped with fundraising at Troy University. He also took part in a local talk show — called the Bud and Amos show — on local cablevision in Troy with Mike Amos up until his stroke.

Blakeney and Casey coached together as assistants at Auburn (1981-1992) under coach Pat Dye, and continued their friendship when Casey became a fundraiser at Troy.

Casey was inducted into the Wiregrass Sports Hall of Fame in 2004 and later served on selection committee of the organization.

At Auburn, Casey was the running backs coach and was the chief recruiter for the Tigers in the Wiregrass. At Auburn, he coached such running backs as Bo Jackson...

jbcarol

... Jessie Pate

Rod Walker ‏@rwalkeradvocate 2h2 hours ago

Sad news. Jessie Pate, one of best high school players in Mississippi history, passed this morning. He was 41. #Murrah #Arkansas

Best big 3 in Mississippi history... Othella , Ronnie and Jesse

Jesse Pate was 4th leading scorer in Murrah history, trailing Othella Harrington, James Robinson and Ronnie Henderson. #RIPJesse

Jesse Pate scored 2,546 career points and averaged 22.7 points per game in 3 seasons at Murrah. (2 state titles)

You know you're one of the greats when they don't even need to say your last name.... Jesse was one of those.

david sanders ‏@davidsanders98

@rwalkeradvocate one of the best ever!!! Wanted to play just like him. RIP!!!
11:12 AM - 29 May 2015

Rod Walker ‏@rwalkeradvocate 35m35 minutes ago

Rod Walker retweeted david sanders

And you did.

jbcarol

... Tyler Hayes

Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 10m10 minutes ago

Ex-Bama LB Tyler Hayes was arrested today for violating probation, per the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office website http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/05/troubled_former_alabama_lineba.html ...

QuoteFormer Alabama linebacker Tyler Hayes was arrested Friday after violating probation, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office website.

Hayes was one of four players dismissed from the Tide's team in 2013 after, according to arrest warrants, attacking and robbing two Alabama students in two separate incidents.

jbcarol

... Marquis Estill

The Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year from Richmond was recruited to the University of Kentucky by Tubby Smith where he played three seasons from 2000-2003

QuoteEstill declared for the NBA Draft following his junior season. After going undrafted in the 2003 NBA Draft, Estill decided to play basketball overseas. In 2003, Estill signed to play for Messina of the Italian League. In 25 games played, he averaged 10.8 points and 7.8 rebounds for the season. Estill played for Udinese of the Italian league the following season where he averaged 8.7 points and 8.3 rebounds in 14 games.

Still went on to play basketball in Japan, Dubai and Argentina before returning to Kentucky as an undergraduate assistant. Still returned to his alma mater in 2012 to join John Calipari's staff. This allowed Estill to work on earning his undergraduate degree that he never received after leaving Kentucky early.

Estill graduated from the University of Kentucky with former players Jon Hood, Jarrod Polson, and Twany Beckham in May of 2013.

After returning home from playing basketball overseas, Estill worked as a car salesman in Lexington before starting his coach career. After finally earning his degree at Kentucky, Estill became an assistant boy's basketball coach at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in Lexington.

jbcarol

... Dylan Favre

Patrick Ochs ‏@PatrickOchs 24h24 hours ago

Fmr #HailState, SSC QB Dylan Favre is going international. @Patrick_Magee caught up w the QB: http://www.sunherald.com/2015/06/02/625

QuoteFormer St. Stanislaus star quarterback Dylan Favre's football career is going international.

Favre was announced Tuesday as one of 45 members on the U.S. national team set to take part in the International Federation of American Football World Championship from July 9-18 in Canton, Ohio.

This year's tournament will feature seven countries, including Canada, Japan, Mexico, France, Brazil, Australia and Korea.

Favre had never heard of the event before a former teammate of his at Mississippi State, running back Nick Griffin, told him about it while the two were taking part in tryouts for the Canadian Football League.

"It's funny how it happened. It was so quick," said Favre, who played the last two seasons at Tennessee-Martin after playing at MSU and Pearl River Community College.

Favre should get plenty of playing time. There is only one other quarterback listed on the roster, Mount Union's Kevin Burke.

Favre started his college career at Mississippi State, receiving a redshirt in 2010 and playing in nine games in 2011.

Dylan Favre is the nephew of former Southern Miss and NFL legend Brett Favre, a native of Kiln.

jbcarol

... Heath Shuler

Annual DishR on Heath Shuler

QuoteHeath Shuler, former quarterback for the University of Tennessee football team, is selling his 7,000-square-foot Waynesville, N.C., mountain estate at auction on June 25.

The property is assessed at more than $1.7 million and includes its own trout creek and [cement?] pond.

Journal Media Group

QuoteShuler, a former N.C. congressman who is now a senior vice president for Duke Energy, built the 7,230 square-foot home in 2006 on 11 acres, according to J.P. King Auction Co., which will conduct the sale.

Shuler in January purchased a home in Asheville, N.C.'s Biltmore ...

jbcarol

... Von Miller

Nicki Jhabvala
✔ @NickiJhabvala

Von Miller said the Broncos have a fine system for, um, flatulence in meetings. Said he thinks he's been fined the most.
2:55 PM - 3 Jun 2015

"They can't fine me if I walk away," Miller said, via the Post. "It's not healthy. I keep trying to tell them it's not healthy if I just sit there and hold it in. Nobody in the world does that. I just do it more than the average person."

jbcarol

... Laurence Bowers

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik  21h21 hours ago
Bowers keeping busy while awaiting next basketball opportunity - Columbia Daily Tribune http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/bowers-keeping-busy-while-awaiting-next-basketball-opportunity/article_819b3d6e-408a-5757-819e-78aa09566fb4.html ...

QuoteThe former Missouri forward, who just wrapped up a stint playing for Hapoel Holon in Ligat Ha'Al, the country's top basketball league, has a crowded schedule stateside this summer and decided to jump right to it.

He will spend much of June training kids in small groups at a friend's private gym in Columbia and at a pair of camps bearing his name — one June 15-17 at Rock Bridge and another a week later at Jefferson High School in Festus. In late July, he and fiancée, Feven Maleke, will marry in Columbia.

In between, Bowers is expecting to play with an undetermined team in the NBA Summer League — either in Orlando, Salt Lake City or Las Vegas —

jbcarol

... Brandon Spikes

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi  12h12 hours ago
#Patriots have released former #Gators LB Brandon Spikes. His car was found abandoned Sunday & is believed to be involved in a hit-and-run.

#Florida_pipeline

jbcarol

... Charles Barkley

Quote from: jbcarol on July 28, 2014, 09:23:02 pm

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  5h
Charles Barkley offered to pay funeral costs for three children killed in Philadelphia carjacking incident http://ow.ly/zGd10

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 17h17 hours ago

Hall of Famer Charles Barkley has pledged $1 million to Morehouse College's Journalism & Sports Program that started in 2007. @NABJSports

Has become more giving since his salad days. Willing to share a piece of the pie.

jbcarol

... Chris Lofton

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra 16h16 hours ago

Mike Strange: No NBA, but Chris Lofton feels blessed http://bit.ly/1cKgMNH 

QuoteThey were both lightly recruited out of high school, spurned by their dream schools, grateful, in the end, for the scholarships they got.

This week, one of them is starring in the NBA Finals. He's the MVP of the world's premier basketball league.

The other is wearing a walking boot on his left foot, running a camp for kids in West Knoxville. He played in Istanbul last winter. He isn't sure where he'll be when a new season starts.

When I watch Stephen Curry tickle nets for Golden State, I'm reminded of the four years I spent watching Chris Lofton play for Tennessee...

Lofton would love to be in the NBA. But don't feel sorry for him. He doesn't.

He's made good money playing overseas, mostly in Turkey and Spain. At 29, he hopes for a few more seasons, health permitting.

Injuries have hampered Lofton's pro career. The latest is turf toe that shut him down early with Besiktas in Istanbul. He was the team's leading scorer.

"You don't realize how much that big toe means to you,'' he said.

He was the 2007 SEC player of the year, a Wooden All-American and the SEC's all-time 3-point maker. He's No. 4 on Tennessee's career scoring list. He played his senior year secretly recovering from testicular cancer treatments...

jbcarol

... Jadeveon Clowney

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 25m25 minutes ago

Good news out of Houston involving @clownejd. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Jadeveon-Clowney-back-in-Week-1/9bef541d-dd83-4fff-8b43-0eb3d7586509 ...

Quote"I think he's gonna be there for the opening game (of the regular season) against Kansas City," O'Brien said via NFL.com. "I think he's going to make it back, and I'm really looking forward to that. He's working very hard to get back."

Texans No. 1 overall draft pick from 2014 landed on injured reserve after undergoing microfracture surgery on his right knee in December. Clowney, who spent this offseason rehabbing, has been able to take part in some weight room activities. He has not yet been cleared by doctors...

jbcarol

... Michael Bradley

Player. Coach. Agent. It's hard to imagine someone with a greater breadth of basketball experience than Michael Bradley. Anyone.

QuoteHigh school Mr. Basketball. Bit player for Kentucky's 1998 national championship team. College transfer. Dramatic rebirth as an impactful player for Villanova. Early entrant in the NBA Draft. Journeyman on five NBA teams (four based in the U.S. and one in Canada). And then Main Man again for teams in four European countries.

After retiring as a player in 2010, Bradley became a certified agent who specialized in placing college players on European teams. Then he turned to coaching, first on the high school level and now in college.

This one-man basketball band could be found last week in a windowless office at Eastern Kentucky University's Alumni Coliseum. A man of the basketball world surrounded by barren walls and high hopes.

In this latest incarnation, Bradley is EKU's new Associate Head Coach. Of his duties, he said, "recruiting and player development will be big for me."

His time with UK was a carnival fun house of highs, lows and unexpected twists.

Having scored 2,444 points and grabbed 1,020 rebounds as a high school player from Worcester, Mass., Bradley drew recruiting interest from the coach at UMass, a fellow named John Calipari.

"My high school coach, I don't know if he was trying to get me to play better defensively or not, but he told me Coach Cal liked me offensively, but didn't think I played any defense," Bradley said as he chuckled at this it's-a-small-world connection.

Bradley conceded he was no Marcus Camby as a rim protector. As it turned out, Calipari and Bradley shared a mutual recruiting disinterest.

Bradley was enthralled with then-UK coach Rick Pitino. As he pondered his college choice, Kentucky was coming off a national championship in 1996 and en route to the 1997 Final Four.

"They're turning out pro after pro," Bradley said. "And the style of play is right up your alley with run and gun."

In his recruiting pitch, Pitino envisioned Bradley following Jared Prickett and Scott Padgett as forwards who stretched defenses with shooting, passing and decision-making.

"I really bought into what Coach Pitino was saying, and how he would develop me and how he would better my future," Bradley said. "That was the hook, line and sinker."

Then after Bradley signed with UK and prepared for a move from New England to the Bluegrass, speculation surfaced of Pitino going in the opposite direction: leaving Kentucky to become coach of the Boston Celtics. Week after week, Bradley and his family heard new rumors of Pitino's move to the Celtics. They repeatedly called the UK basketball offices.

"To ask if he was leaving," Bradley said. "And he would always say, no.

"So then eventually it pops, and it happens. And, you know, our family was pretty caught off-guard."

Bradley asked for a release from his National Letter of Intent. UK refused...

jbcarol

... Mark Krebs

Kentucky native abandoned a basketball scholarship at Thomas More College, a Division III liberal arts college in Crestview Hills Ky., to become a walk-on at the University of Kentucky.

Mark Krebs is one of few players to play under three different head coaches as a Wildcat: Tubby Smith, Billy Gillispie and John Calipari. Krebs played as a walk-on for three seasons before earning a scholarship for his fourth and final season at Kentucky.

QuoteKrebs scored a total of 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 33 games played. Krebs was named to the Academic All-SEC team for the 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10 season.

Following his senior season, Krebs' mother passed away at the age of 49 after a nine-year battle with cancer. Krebs had always had an interest in writing, which lead him to write his own book, Beyond a Dream. The book recounted his families' dealings and his mother's courageous fight with cancer. On a book tour to promote Beyond a Dream, Krebs landed a role in Thunderstruck (2012), a basketball movie staring Kevin Durant.

...Krebs also starred in three episodes of the television show, Suit Up. The show follows a crisis manager, who takes the helm of a scandal-soaked athletic department at Glory University...

Mark Krebs was hired by Kentucky Sports Television (KSTV) in 2014 and currently works as a part-time cohost.

jbcarol

... Bart Starr

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 4h4 hours ago

Bart Starr undergoing clinical-trial treatments after strokes, family says | http://ow.ly/Os2zL

QuoteFormer Alabama quarterback and Green Bay Packers Hall of Famer Bart Starr is undergoing clinical-trial stem cell treatment following a series of strokes, his family announced in a statement Wednesday.

Starr, who is 81, suffered the first of his strokes last September, his family announced at the time. Starr's wife, Cherry, told the Arizona Republic during Super Bowl week in January that her husband has had a total of two strokes, four seizures and a mild heart attack and was hospitalized for more than two months.

The Starr family announced his ongoing treatments through the Green Bay Packers:

"Following Bart's strokes, our family began to investigate numerous therapy options. Several months ago we applied for and were accepted into a clinical trial using stem cells. Friday we safely returned home from the first of the two treatments.

"While we welcome everyone's interest and support of Bart's health, at this time, we'd like to allow him a chance to fully participate in the clinical trial and let the results, if any, to speak for themselves. At an appropriate time in the future, our family looks forward to sharing the details of Bart's participation in this most important clinical exploration of what role stem cells may play in the treatment of stroke.

"Until then, we continue to thank you for all of your love and prayers. Your support has given us much strength over the past nine months. Bart joins me in sending our love and appreciation to all our special friends and fans. We are working hard toward the one goal he most cherishes: a return to Green Bay for a Packers game."

Starr, a Montgomery native, played for Alabama from 1952-55. He was a 17th-round draft pick of the Packers in 1956, and went on to lead the team to five NFL championships — including victories in the first two Super Bowls — in a 17-year pro career.

"When we left the hospital, he could not walk or sit up unassisted," Cherry Starr said. "Now he's walking on a walker and standing very erect. He lost 20 pounds and gained back 10 and is getting stronger. I don't know how much recovery he can make with his cognitive ability.

"He's been such a kind, generous, loving man all his life. It's not a good quality of life for him, and it hurts me to see him this way. I wish so much this had never happened."

jbcarol

... Herschel Walker

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 23m23 minutes ago

Herschel Walker says he could still play in NFL at 53 | http://ow.ly/OwWIH

QuoteHerschel Walker is famous for staying in great physical condition, still purportedly doing thousands of push-ups and sit-ups every day and participating in mixed martial arts into his late 40s.

But Walker, now 53, said Thursday he's not necessarily done with football.

"There is not a doubt in my mind, if I played today, I (could) contribute to a team," Walker said.

"Let me tell you the reason why [I can play]. Running backs today don't play every play. They only play, like, a couple of plays and they go out of the game."

"The last time I ran a 40, I ran a 4.3. That was like a year ago. That was when I had not been doing any track work. All I had been doing was [MMA]."

Fun fact: Former NWA resident and Tyson Exec Scott McNair was responsible for Walker being fired on The Celebrity Apprentice.  Leading Schwann's Frozen Food Division at the time, McNair decided that team captain Herschel's healthy chicken recipe was inferior to his competitor.  Donald Trump used the reco as the key talking point in his decision to delicately fire the former Heisman Trophy winnger.

jbcarol

... Trevor Releford

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 20m20 minutes ago

What's up with Trevor Releford? Former Alabama star updates career, reacts to program changes. http://ow.ly/Ox5K4

QuoteIt's a long way from Tuscaloosa, but Europe wasn't so bad for Trevor Releford. The former Alabama basketball star had a promising rookie season playing professionally overseas and the culture shock wasn't too rough.

The fifth-leading scorer in Alabama history is back in Tuscaloosa this summer and was a counselor at Avery Johnson's first basketball camp...

eleford is hoping to get a roster spot with an NBA summer league team, but his health is somewhat of a concern. He suffered a slight tear of his labrum and had a minor knee injury playing in Poland last season. Playing for Wilki Morskie, Releford averaged 18.2 points and 4.6 assists, but injuries limited him to 16 games.

The adjustment to living in Europe was helped by having his girlfriend at his side. Only one thing truly threw him.

"The way they drive over there, it's crazy," he said with a grin. "On the highways, no speed limit. So I'm over there trying to drive regular and they're just hitting their horns telling me to get over. They speed over there."

If things don't work out with an NBA team, Releford is prepared to head back overseas next season. He heard from Israel's Maccabi team that's home to his older brother.  Playing with Travis Releford, a former star at Kansas, would be great, he said.

For now, Trevor Releford is spending his free time working out with Alabama basketball strength and conditioning coach Lou DeNeen...

jbcarol

... Charcey Glenn

Charcey Glenn, the mother of former Auburn and NBA star Charles Barkley, died in her Leeds home Friday morning at the age of 73.

AL.com has confirmed the news with First Baptist Church in Leeds, where Glenn's funeral is scheduled for June 27.

QuoteGlenn was an active member of her community and was involved with the Historical Society and was on the Board of Directors of the Leeds Water Works. She had reportedly been suffering from kidney failure.

jbcarol

... Michael Oher

Former Raven Michael Oher: 'Blind Side' Hurt NFL Career
First-round draft pick says he has battled unrealistic expectations because of 2009's "The Blind Side," which won an Oscar and box office.

Quote"The Blind Side," the Academy Award-winning movie about Michael Oher's unstable childhood on the mean streets of Nashville before he achieved football success, has hurt his NFL career, says the former Baltimore Ravens player.

Oher, now with the Carolina Panthers, was in a scuffle during minicamp with another player. When asked if the altercation means he has something to prove as he tries to resurrect his career, Oher told ESPN preconceptions from the movie have dogged his NFL career.

"People look at me, and they take things away from me because of a movie. They don't really see the skills and the kind of player I am," Oher said. "That's why I get downgraded so much, because of something off the field.

"This stuff, calling me a bust, people saying if I can play or not ... that has nothing to do with football. It's something else off the field. That's why I don't like that movie.''

Oher has battled public and NFL expectations since the movie's depiction of his "other worldly blocking abilities."

jbcarol

... Hutson Mason

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmersonAJC  24h24 hours ago
Hutson Mason joins Colquitt County High School as QB coach. He'll work for Rush Propst.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/former-georgia-qb-mason-turns-to-coaching/nmjJ5/ ...

jbcarol

... Former LSU RB: Kevin Faulk

Being inducted in the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame with Jake Delhomme and others.

Jim Kleinpeter ‏@JimKleinpeter 17 hours ago

Former #LSU RB: Kevin Faulk: to get my degree meant more to my mother than anything else I did. @LaSportsHall

Faulk: I always wanted to be a coach, even before I went to LSU. I love seeing that smile.

jbcarol

... James Kiger, former Auburn center, 40

James Kiger was killed early Friday morning when the Ford pickup truck he was driving struck a guardrail and overturned near Ozark.

QuoteKiger, 40, was not wearing a seat belt when the crash happened around 1:15 a.m.

KIger, from Dadeville, lettered at Auburn in 1995 and 1996. He was a teammate of current Auburn assistant Dameyune Craig.

Cole Cubelic ‏@colecubelic 29m29 minutes ago

Sat behind James Kiger as a freshman center without a clue. Very sad to hear of his passing this morning. Great teammate & Auburn man. #RIP

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Emmitt Smith

No play for Mr. Gray

Emmitt Smith ‏@EmmittSmith22 Jul 1

jbcarol

... Sheldon

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6h6 hours ago

Jets DT Sheldon Richardson suspended without pay for the first 4 games of 2015 for violating NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse

Sheldon Richardson ‏@Godforshort 5h5 hours ago

I apologize for my mistake and for disappointing the people who mean everything to me.

I vow to you, this will not happen again. My team will continue to push forward without me to start the season.

Shane Ray ‏@X_RAYted56 5h5 hours ago

It's funny how quick people are to bash you and your character like they live perfect lives. My bro Sheldon gone be straight best believe.

jbcarol

... Mike Kidd-Gilchrist

Mike Kidd-GilchristVerified account@MKG14

Having a great time at National Stuttering Association Annual Conference...

In 2016, Kidd-Gilchrist (with over $20 million and a free agent contract in the works) will pass Mel Tillis as highest the earning celebrity with a known speech impediment.

jbcarol

... Mark Pope

After two years at the University of Washington, Pope transferred to Kentucky where he was a key member of Rick Pitino's 1996 national championship team.

He spent the next eight years bouncing between the NBA and CBA before enrolling at Columbia Medical School. After two years there, Pope got a call from Mark Fox, a former Washington assistant who had taken the Georgia head coaching job. Fox asked Pope to join him in Athens.

Quote"It was an absolutely torturous decision," said Pope, who spent three weeks going back and forth with his wife Lee Anne (a former assistant to David Letterman) before deciding to change career path. "Two days later I drove down to Georgia for their first camp and as soon as I got on campus it was just so clear, I knew this is what I want to do with my life."

After a year "doing laundry and packing travel bags" at Georgia, Pope joined Jeff Bzdelik's staff at Wake Forest. He spent the last four seasons at BYU, where the Cougars made the NCAA Tournament two times.

"I am the worst player that's had the opportunity to play for the best coaches," Pope said via phone on Friday from his office in Utah. "Just look at the guys I've had a chance to work and play for."

Rick Pitino, his head coach at UK: "Just his aggressive posturing in every facet of the game. That's something that's part of my DNA now."

Larry Bird, his head coach for the Indiana Pacers in the NBA: "He had incredible ability to take all these different variables that were important in a game and boil them down to a piece that was the most important and communicate that to his players."

Billy Donovan, who coached him as an assistant at UK: "Just his professional daily grind and demeanor. He does it without being a huge personality. He's dialed in all the time."

George Karl, his head coach with the Milwaukee Bucks: "He is so willing as a coach to be innovative. And when you're innovative as a coach you're setting yourself up to be crushed. But he almost coveted the scrutiny."

Now, it is Pope's turn to apply what he's learned and to be innovative. A junior college just 10 years ago, Utah Valley has been on the fast track of late, growing from 10,000 students to 34,000.

"It's the largest university now in the state of Utah," Pope said. "It's on this incredible growth plate."

A member of the WAC, the Wolverines were just 11-19 last season. Dick Hunsaker stepped down after 13 years as head coach. In stepped Pope.

"This is what most of us are shooting for, the opportunity to take a big swing at this profession," he said. "We're in a good league, but not one so top-heavy that we can't be a player in it. We're going to figure things out this year as we go and then it's going to be full steam ahead."

jbcarol

... Van Heflin, Sr.

...Vanderbilt had never had a black quarterback who started consistently until Heflin's father, whose name also is Van, broke the color barrier in 1978.

Quote"My dad was a great high school quarterback, and there were plenty of colleges that recruited him, but they wanted him to play cornerback or running back because of his race," said Heflin, who wears No. 7 just like his dad did at Vanderbilt. "He went to Vanderbilt because they were willing to give him a chance at quarterback."

His father took advantage of that opportunity. In his two years as a starter, he completed 140 of 279 passes for 1,732 yards and seven touchdowns.

Two weeks ago, Heflin, a rising senior at Eagle's Landing High School in McDonough, Ga., shared a lasting moment with his father at Vanderbilt Stadium. Heflin was there for the Commodores' summer football camp.

"We walked out on the field, and he showed me where he put a move on a guy to keep from getting sacked in a big game," Heflin said. "Then he showed me the spot in the end zone where he threw a long pass for a touchdown. You could tell it was emotional for him. It was very nostalgic."

The elder Heflin said he did not read the newspaper or watch local television sportscasts during his time as Vanderbilt's starting quarterback. He didn't want to be distracted by what was being said or written about him being a trailblazer.

And he didn't care to hear the commentary claiming he was a better runner than passer.

"That used to really get to me," the elder Heflin said. "It was crazy because nobody wanted to give me credit for being a great passer. I could pass with the best of them and run and do all the different things a quarterback needs to do. After we played Alabama and I threw three touchdowns, everybody was like, 'Whoa, maybe he can throw.'"

Heflin, who is similar in size to his dad at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, is starting to attract more and more interest from college recruiters.

"I would love to go to Vanderbilt; it's a special place for me obviously because my dad played there," said Heflin, who is especially impressed with coach Derek Mason. "(Mason) is real cool. I like the way he bonds with his players; I really do. I think it would be a great place to play. My dad loved playing there, and that's saying something considering the way things were back then."

jbcarol

... Tyler Smith

knoxnews ‏@knoxnews Jul 4

Tyler Smith hasn't let 2010 incident at Tennessee define him http://bit.ly/1RWNxoY 

Quote"We're coming home from beating Memphis (in Memphis)," Smith said, referring to himself, Cam Tatum, Melvin Goins and Brian Williams. "We're out for New Year's, and the next day I'm not even on the team. It was a reality check. I let my friends and Tennessee fans and my family down. I rented a place and went away for two or three weeks."

Smith didn't sulk. He was hurt but not overwhelmed. Smith had already experienced hardship and a lot of change. Raised by his mother in Forth Worth until he was 15, he moved to Pulaski (about an hour southwest of Nashville) when his father came back into his life at that age. He committed to play for Buzz Peterson at Tennessee, but the Vols fired Peterson in the spring of 2005. So he went to Hargrave Military Academy, then played his freshman season at Iowa.

But Smith's father, Billy, was sick, and dying of lung cancer. Smith eventually got a hardship transfer to Tennessee. His father died a little more than a month before Smith made his Tennessee debut.

Smith was already a father when he arrived at Tennessee. That would play heavily into the incident a little more than two years later that cost him his spot at Tennessee and led to a reconsideration of how to think about life.

Smith was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm with an altered serial number, both misdemeanors. A month later, he pled guilty to both charges and was given two years probation.

When Smith was asked the reason the incident happened, he offered two types of answers. One is a limited explanation of the circumstances that led to the misdemeanor charges against him. The other is the big picture answer of the good the incident inspired.

In November of 2009, many of Smith's personal possessions were stolen from his off-campus home, he said in The Tennessean interview. As he was about to go to police, he said he began receiving text message threats against the life of his child. The messages said he should not go to the police. He did not call the police about the theft, instead buying a gun for protection.

Police found two guns in the vehicle they stopped, but Smith said the second gun must have already been in the rental car. He immediately acknowledged ownership of the other.

Police found the story plausible. But then-UT coach Bruce Pearl dismissed Smith a week after the incident...

Pearl said Smith is "more misunderstood than any Vol I had" because of the New Year's Day incident.

"Tyler is a great kid," said Pearl. "There was a very unfortunate set of circumstances surrounding that incident, and Tyler absorbed almost all of the fallout.

"He coulda/shoulda been in the NBA rather than playing in Europe. He's a great father, a hard worker and I hope when he's done playing professionally that the Tennessee family will embrace him and treat him like a Vol For Life."

Smith hasn't given up on playing in the NBA, but he's also prepared for life away from basketball.

"Every player who ever touches a basketball wants to play in the NBA," Smith said. "I've got a family to take care of and some goals and dreams. I would love to make the NBA, but I don't have to. I am happy with what I've accomplished in my life. And I'm very aware it could be gone at any time.

"I'm very grateful, very grateful, for where I am."

When Smith's basketball career ends, he wants to give back to his community and to Tennessee. He lives in Franklin, less than 60 miles from Pulaski, just south of Nashville.

"Middle Tennessee has never had a huge AAU (basketball) circuit," Smith said. "Me and (former Vol) Josh Bone have been trying to work some things together."

jbcarol

... Danny Wuerffel

Jim Kleinpeter ‏@JimKleinpeter Jul 6

Ex #Saints QB Danny Wuerffel keeps ministry in NO post Katrina @onlygators, @gatorcuntry http://s.nola.com/4ar0uvD  via @nolanews

Quote"It's going to be a really, really exciting time coming up," Wuerffel said.

Wuerffel is now executive director of Desire Street Ministries, which was founded by Mo Leverett in 1990 to help the 9th Ward neighborhood. The headquarters moved to Atlanta following Katrina, but Wuerffel said Desire Street has never forgotten about its commitment in New Orleans.

Wuerffel said on Aug 22., the organization will break ground on a new community center, medical clinic and early childhood development center on 3600 Desire Pwky. The project, called Desire Community Square, will be run by local non-profit organizations Abundance of Desire, Daughters of Charity and Kids of Excellence.

The project has long been mired in red tape, so Wuerffel and his staff necessarily didn't target the 10th anniversary of the storm as a breakthrough year.

In the years since the school closed, they helped launch St. Roch Community Church in the 8th Ward and reopened Desire Fellowship in the 9th Ward. Wuerffel happily stated that five students from Desire Street Academy graduated from college in May.

Wuerffel is proud of those accomplishments, but has long hoped to get a bigger project off the ground. Over the years, some have questioned the organization's commitment to New Orleans, something Wuerffel understands but thinks is misconstrued.

"One of the things I learned playing football is you've got to do the best that you can and not worry too much what people say, and that's true in a lot of aspects of life," he said. "I do know that the amount of energy, time and money that we've invested in New Orleans over the past year is considerably more than anybody is aware of, and the amount of energy that we're putting in to try to get this project through is enormous, and I'll be really thrilled and really proud of Desire Street and all we've been able to do....

"I also understand whenever you're not physically somewhere, and when all the energy used to be in one location and now we're growing regionally, I can understand why some people might be disappointed. But I'm very grateful for our board and our team and all the people that have continued to invest in New Orleans and Desire Street, and we'll continue to do that in the years to come."

Of course, the road to get to this point is certainly nothing like Wuerffel thought it would be when he retired from the NFL in 2002...