Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mississippi State

Started by trippigs, October 05, 2006, 09:22:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trippigs

I spent today doing business on this campus and, to my suprise, found it quite nice and not at all deserving of it's poor reputation. The folks were friendly, parking was easy and the campus buildings were well marked with universal style signage (made it easy to find stuff). There is a brand new Barnes and Noble store directly across the street from the football stadium which would be a good place to visit  before a game. I never found a concentrated area of bars and clubs but neither do you find that in Tuscaloosa, Oxford or Auburn. Starkville seems to be a regular small southern town with a soul that happens to be dominated by a University. Found some decent BBQ @ Little Dooey and Italian food @ Stromboli's. I kind of liked the historic downtown area. All in all, it was a pleasent suprise.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I lived in Starkville for 10 long years after college.  It is a decent southern small town.  The people there are great, and the food is good but that's about it.  As far as college towns go it would rank 12th out of the 12 team SEC.  No real bar or club scene to speak of.  Just a few places spread out over town.  I did meet the Mrs. at one of these places so I can't complain too much.  Nothing else to do in town. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

T-hawg

I'm thinking of taking the wife and kids down there for the Nov 18th game. Would tit be a trip that would make it worth wild?

Thanks,

T-hawg
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

trippigs

I have never attended a game there but think it could be a good place for a family outing. Don't imagine you would have to contend with too many, if any, rude MSU fans...they are already beat down pretty bad. There is a new dedicated tailgate area just south of the football stadium that they are proud of. Give it a whirl...

msudawgs64

Quote from: twinpigs on October 11, 2006, 08:40:09 pm
I have never attended a game there but think it could be a good place for a family outing. Don't imagine you would have to contend with too many, if any, rude MSU fans...they are already beat down pretty bad. There is a new dedicated tailgate area just south of the football stadium that they are proud of. Give it a whirl...

you got that right brotha, now can you spare a dime..LOL

well you will always find rude fans wherever you go but I would hope that most, if not all, State fans would have a lot of humility right now, I know I have loads to share. 

Yes, the area you are referring to is called The Junction..Here is a link for it.  Looks pretty nice.

http://gameday.msstate.edu/junction/

And yes, I would consider it more family friendly than a lot of other SEC schools, probably due to the small size of Starkville, I enjoy going up there every so often but even I don't think I could live up there for an extended amount of time.  Little too slow pace for me.

Did you see the one area that has all of the bricks laid out with names on them.  That was a fund raising thing years ago and my dad purchased one in my name, he graduated from there in 1961, gave generously back to the university, so even though I got a degree elsewhere, I will always be a part of MSU.

God rest his departed soul he is not witnessing what is happening right now to his beloved Bulldogs football.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.