Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The new AD will be...

Started by markaroni, November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RexMentor on November 22, 2017, 06:07:47 am
Kevin Scanlon -- business man. If so, then he knows it make no business sense for Arkansas to continue paying (what is it? 6 figures?) the War Memorial Stadium Commission to play a "home" game 300 miles from the campus in front to 20,000 fewer people and have to deal with the recruiting restrictions because the game isn't on campus. Kevin Scanlon - business man. We'll find out.

Financially, it doesn't make sense. My question is, if the GOBN is back in charge and they are the ones who pushed Long out and they install Scanlon, is it with the understanding that they don't care what it costs to not only keep games in LR, but better games? I'm not saying that this is the case but if it is, it only seems reasonable that if they want games left in LR, they will remain in LR. 2015 was the last time we played an SEC opponent in WMS. I'm not sure we will see 2 games scheduled in LR, but we might see 1 continue to be played there and it might be a P-5 opponent, SEC or not.
Go Hogs Go!

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:35:56 am
Oh, Yay!  Someone with no experience as an AD but, by gosh, at least he's in the GOB network!  Another step back for Arkansas!  How humiliating!

Mr. Scanlon is Executive Vice President and Director of the Private Client Group. He joined Stephens in 1987. Previously, he was chief operating officer for two Stephens Inc. subsidiaries, Stephens Sports Management, and Stephens Insurance Services before joining the Private Client Group. Prior to his appointment as the Head of the Private Client Group, his previous Private Client Group responsibilities include Managing Director for Growth and Development, and Managing Director for the Professional Strategies Group. He began his career in the securities industry with Merrill Lynch in 1981 where he was a Senior Financial Consultant.

It seems that other than hiring and firing coaches, an AD's main responsibilities are in financials and making sure the Athletic Dept. is fiscally responsible.  This includes fundraising (made easier by a winning football team) and setting and sticking to enormous budgets. 

If this is true and Scanlon is the man, I would say he has a leg up on most regarding the main duties of the AD.  He just needs experience in hiring coaches.  But in football, could he do worse than JL?       
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on November 22, 2017, 06:23:14 am
I'll believe it when i see it.

OP has 3 post, he's trolling

I don't know if a decision has been made, but the Board Members of the Razorback Foundation did meet with Scanlon on Friday.  That is fact.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

PharmacistHog

Some of you will bitch and moan no matter who is hired as ad or coach. Some of you need to learn to enjoy life a little bit. Bitter, miserable, and mad at the world has gotta be a crappy way to live.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

1highhog

Quote from: markaroni on November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am
A coworker of mine, his wife works for Stephens here in Little Rock. Yesterday she came home and told her husband (my coworker) that "Kevin" Scanlon is leaving Stephens to take an AD job at Arkansas. Just telling you what I was told. Believe what you want.

Lol, I love it.  When something significant like a firing and hiring is taking place at the U&A the members of Hogville has to go up by at least a 1,000 or more.  I don't think I've ever seen so many new members coming on here and giving "inside" information, cracks me up.

parallaxpig

Quote from: markaroni on November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am
A coworker of mine, his wife works for Stephens here in Little Rock. Yesterday she came home and told her husband (my coworker) that "Kevin" Scanlon is leaving Stephens to take an AD job at Arkansas. Just telling you what I was told. Believe what you want.

But we don't have a search committee announced yet...
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 22, 2017, 06:26:51 am
Mr. Scanlon is Executive Vice President and Director of the Private Client Group. He joined Stephens in 1987. Previously, he was chief operating officer for two Stephens Inc. subsidiaries, Stephens Sports Management, and Stephens Insurance Services before joining the Private Client Group. Prior to his appointment as the Head of the Private Client Group, his previous Private Client Group responsibilities include Managing Director for Growth and Development, and Managing Director for the Professional Strategies Group. He began his career in the securities industry with Merrill Lynch in 1981 where he was a Senior Financial Consultant.

It seems that other than hiring and firing coaches, an AD's main responsibilities are in financials and making sure the Athletic Dept. is fiscally responsible.  This includes fundraising (made easier by a winning football team) and setting and sticking to enormous budgets. 

If this is true and Scanlon is the man, I would say he has a leg up on most regarding the main duties of the AD.  He just needs experience in hiring coaches.  But in football, could he do worse than JL?       

To piggyback on your post,  the "hiring coaches" that you referred to can be resolved addressed by using firms, dealing with alumni/former players and their input, and the GOBN so many have referred to.  He would be a solid choice.  He has every positive aspect that my favorite has (Scott Varady) but the addition of the former player aspect.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawgon

Quote from: 1highhog on November 22, 2017, 06:36:39 am
Lol, I love it.  When something significant like a firing and hiring is taking place at the U&A the members of Hogville has to go up by at least a 1,000 or more.  I don't think I've ever seen so many new members coming on here and giving "inside" information, cracks me up.

The dude is really devious since he registered in 2008 with the express purpose of trolling the board almost ten years later.

Tortfeasor

I just hope whoever the new AD is gets along with the other coaches, i.e., Van Horn and Anderson. Don't want to run anyone else off.

Kevin

I love the hire. running an athletic department is all about big money. And how to use it & not waste it. He will do a great job.

some of you guys need to get a life. this is a great hire.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hog911

Oh, Yay!  Someone with no experience as an AD but, by gosh, at least he's in the GOB network!  Another step back for Arkansas!  How humiliating!

Well the yankee connections have worked out great, huh? Personally, I would rather take a chance with one of our own, at the very least we know they care!

pigz

You guys have a good time frig dancing

Razorfox

I am so confused by people on this board.  Almost everyone got what they wanted with Long's firing and now there are rumors that someone with Arkansas ties and significant experience in business and the sport industry may get the job and people are still not happy. 

Honestly, are there any names out there that meet all the qualifications that people want?  Or is it some made up person and people are just going to be upset no matter what. 

HotlantaHog

He's super qualified and anyone who writes him off as just a good ole boy is missing the point. I also think that while he has deep ties to Little Rock, the hire has nothing to do with WMS. It's all about bringing improvements across the board to UA's athletic program, importantly including the football program.

https://www.stephens.com/private-wealth-management/our-team/kevin-scanlon/

That he knows Arkansas and played for the school is a plus, not a minus.

HogRick

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:48:55 am
To the best of my knowledge, he has never hired a guy to go 11-28 in the SEC, and give him an insane, unnecessary buy out. Nor Hired Crazy John L Smith to line his pockets with cash to help him out of debt, or brought a sports program's APR up to last place in a decade. That is all true. I am sure, due to the positions he has held and the people he has worked with he has dealt with the media. Also, lets be honest here. If Long had not done, what he had no choice but to do, in firing Bobby P., over half the sports media that praises him now, would not be able to pull him out of a lineup. If it is Scanlon, none of us know for sure, he will do fine.
[Exactly and well put.....I'm hoping this is true and think he'd be a great AD. ]

Athog

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:48:55 am
To the best of my knowledge, he has never hired a guy to go 11-28 in the SEC, and give him an insane, unnecessary buy out. Nor Hired Crazy John L Smith to line his pockets with cash to help him out of debt, or brought a sports program's APR up to last place in a decade. That is all true. I am sure, due to the positions he has held and the people he has worked with he has dealt with the media. Also, lets be honest here. If Long had not done, what he had no choice but to do, in firing Bobby P., over half the sports media that praises him now, would not be able to pull him out of a lineup. If it is Scanlon, none of us know for sure, he will do fine.

Don't forget hired a guy who drove the program over a cliff on a motorcycle with a blonde on the back!!

ur

Totally for this hire. I will take the GOBN over the CN of the previous regime, unless they give us a Grobe (Skip).

menehune

Quote from: RexMentor on November 22, 2017, 06:07:47 am
Kevin Scanlon -- business man. If so, then he knows it make no business sense for Arkansas to continue paying (what is it? 6 figures?) the War Memorial Stadium Commission to play a "home" game 300 miles from the campus in front to 20,000 fewer people and have to deal with the recruiting restrictions because the game isn't on campus. Kevin Scanlon - business man. We'll find out.

You DO realize that the University of Arkansas athletic department and the Razorback Foundation make tons of money from investments and donations, right? ...Enough money to pay for ALL other sports without charging each student an activity fee and still enough to have quite a comfortable cash balance!!!

The money "lost" by playing in Little Rock is one of those non-financial investments that reaps dividends, both in donations and in statewide support and buy-in to the program.  Why is that so hard for many of y'all to understand?

TrueBlue

One thing is for sure about Kevin, he WANTS TO WIN. Unlike Integrity Long and his last place APR boasting.

Having a guy that has Razorback blood running through his veins is not a bad thing.

A fun trivia tidbit: Scanlon broke Joe Namath's passing records for yards and TD's in Beaver County, PA. Also, Lou Holtz said he was one the best quarterbacks he ever coached.

Razorfox

Quote from: menehune on November 22, 2017, 07:33:40 am
You DO realize that the University of Arkansas athletic department and the Razorback Foundation make tons of money from investments and donations, right? ...Enough money to pay for ALL other sports without charging each student an activity fee and still enough to have quite a comfortable cash balance!!!

The money "lost" by playing in Little Rock is one of those non-financial investments that reaps dividends, both in donations and in statewide support and buy-in to the program.  Why is that so hard for many of y'all to understand?

I figure that playing a game or two in Little Rock each year is akin to a corporation donating to certain high profile charitable causes.  It may be a direct cost in the bottom line of the ledger, but there is a benefit in public perception that theoretically makes that money back and more 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: MissippHog on November 22, 2017, 04:20:46 am
Hogville last Tuesday:
"Jeff Long needs to be fired!  He's a yankee carpetbagger and doesn't understand Arkansas athletics.  He'll never be one of us.  We need someone who understands Arkansas!"

Hogville this Tuesday:
"Oh, great.  Looks like the GOBN is back full force by hiring an ex-Razorback with ties throughout the state." 
Ironic, ain't it?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Razorfox on November 22, 2017, 07:00:30 am
I am so confused by people on this board.  Almost everyone got what they wanted with Long's firing and now there are rumors that someone with Arkansas ties and significant experience in business and the sport industry may get the job and people are still not happy. 

Honestly, are there any names out there that meet all the qualifications that people want?  Or is it some made up person and people are just going to be upset no matter what. 

This.

A LOT of people on this board just want to be unhappy and bitch/complain.

WilsonHog

First of all, I have no knowledge that Scanlon will be our next AD.

That being said, he is a former Razorback player with deep ties to our State who has been a very successful businessman.   He has been at the top of my list since the position came open, so I hope the rumors are true.

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 05:40:08 am
I've got nothing against Kevin Scanlon and don't buy in to the "can't be from the North" garbage that fills this board.  I don't doubt he is "one of us" but also don't think the AD had to be "one of us" to succeed.   As for the post above saying Cooper will be part of the GOBN, he doesn't want to be part of it, but he very much would like to be someone HIRED by it in the future.

Oh, don't be so sure Dad.......but getting hired would be the first step!

TrueBlue

hoghearted

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 22, 2017, 05:24:10 am
Good gawd, The GOBN phobia has gotten ridiculous. Take a pill....or a dozen.

Amazing, isn't it? Funny the complainers don't offer up a wish list of their own, candidates they feel could do a good job.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hawgon

If it is Scanlon, here are a few things I know.  It isn't about career advancement.  He already has a nice career.  It isn't about money.  He'll be taking a pay cut.  It isn't about notoriety.  Nothing he has ever done suggests that he wants that.  It isn't about being a pawn for some GOBN.  He already has made what they call "frick you" money.  He'll not be taking orders from anyone just because he wants or needs a job and/or the money.

If he takes the job, it is because he loves the Hogs and thinks he can help. 

Pork Twain

Bwahahahaha...  You guys are getting exactly what you wanted, a good ole Arkansas boy and the crying has already started.

Now on a serious note, it would seem that he is very qualified (if you think prior AD experience is a requirement, nobody would ever be hired and you likely do not fully grasp the role of an AD) and very successful and has Arkansas blood.  I think he would be a great hire.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jkstock04

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 22, 2017, 07:37:59 am
One thing is for sure about Kevin, he WANTS TO WIN. Unlike Integrity Long and his last place APR boasting.

Having a guy that has Razorback blood running through his veins is not a bad thing.

A fun trivia tidbit: Scanlon broke Joe Namath's passing records for yards and TD's in Beaver County, PA. Also, Lou Holtz said he was one the best quarterbacks he ever coached.
All this sounds excellent.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 07:43:20 am
Oh, don't be so sure Dad.......but getting hired would be the first step!

Everyone also seems to have a different definition of just who is a member of the GOBN. He's in!

hogmolar

Quote from: greenie on November 22, 2017, 01:31:28 am

Sports management?  Please tell me what sport he managed.
Has he ever hired/fired D1 coaches?  Has he dealt with the media?  Has he been responsible for the promotion and well-being of hundreds of student athletes?  That's like saying Jimmy Sexton would be a great AD because of his tremendous sports management experience.
Look, he may turn out to be a great AD, but it's not because he has any experience that proves it.

There's only one reason to hire a guy like this:  he'll do what he's told.
Being a COO of a company like Stephens he has experienced all of what you said.  Yeah maybe who he has hired and fired weren't labeled D1 coaches but they were labeled executives.  I am sure he has dealt with the media in some capacity in his position. 

What most of the people on here don't understand is that people who are in these positions are leaders or they wouldn't be in this position.  It would be like saying that the COO of Apple would not be able to be a COO of Walmart because he doesn't understand groceries.  Give me a break.

Scanlon's current job is to manage people under him who know investments and and to manage funds in which they trust him with.  Too me he seems to have been very successful. The AD position is much the same. Manage people under him who know sports and manage the funds that people trust him with.  He will be successful here as well.

I promise you this Nick Saban could leave his position now and be a successful CEO of any company you put him in.  It is all about leadership.   

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 22, 2017, 06:41:58 am

But we don't have a search committee announced yet...

Did they say they were going to announce it? I guess they should, but I don't need to know, so you?

ricepig

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 22, 2017, 07:50:06 am
Everyone also seems to have a different definition of just who is a member of the GOBN. He's in!

You get a GOBN, you get a GOBN, you get a GOBN.......

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoghearted on November 22, 2017, 07:46:12 am
Amazing, isn't it? Funny the complainers don't offer up a wish list of their own, candidates they feel could do a good job.
They were doing the EXACT same thing when they were asking for Long's head because he was a damn yankee with no Arkansas ties.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Fay-hog

Hoggish1

Well, someone with experience wasn't the cat's meow, right?

elksnort

Maybe Arkansas can start their own network, like Texas and BUY have. Of course it would be called GOBN, soon to rival ESPN..Deltahog can be their version of ESPN's Marty Smith.

Sooie71923

AD experience is overrated. Ask 2 of the best in the game.. Alvarez and Broyles.

HF#1

If you knew Kevin, you'd know that if this is true, it's fantastic news. He might be the most qualified, capable person we could possibly get.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Großer Kriegschwein

I don't know what works better, GOBN or an athletic director making decisions on an island all by himself.
This is my non-signature signature.

HF#1

This isn't and won't be the same GOBN network of the Houston Nutt/Broyles days. These are no nonsense people who want to win badly. They want us to be on the national scene in football and basketball.

And honestly, these people were darn on by Jeff Long multiple times and got sick of it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

online-with-swine

Love the hire if true.  Now let's hurry and get him on the job, we have a coach to hire.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 08:19:09 am
This isn't and won't be the same GOBN network of the Houston Nutt/Broyles days. These are no nonsense people who want to win badly. They want us to be on the national scene in football and basketball.

And honestly, these people were darn on by Jeff Long multiple times and got sick of it.

One could hope after being shut out of the athletic department for a decade they've prioritized.

I think we'll see a slam dunk hire in both positions and they will be announce next week.
This is my non-signature signature.

HF#1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 22, 2017, 08:21:21 am
One could hope after being shut out of the athletic department for a decade they've prioritized.

I think we'll see a slam dunk hire in both positions and they will be announce next week.

They are tired of donating money only to see an absolute train-wreck product on the field. And the Chancellor is leading the way.

HouSwine

KS would be a great pick!
I even could see the value of games in a modern stadium in Little Rock.
As long as the lights and electric work. And no falling concrete.

Bkhardicars

If true, great hire. Leadership is leadership no matter what the vocation. NIck Saban , Lou Holtz, guys like that, could run any Fortune 500 company. I say this as an HR professional having worked for the largest company in the world.

hawgon

The chancellor, with his last job being at Ohio State, undoubtedly understands what a winning football program will do for a school as a whole.

HF#1

Quote from: hawgon on November 22, 2017, 08:36:08 am
The chancellor, with his last job being at Ohio State, undoubtedly understands what a winning football program will do for a school as a whole.

This is 100% accurate. When the dust settles, you will see very little remaining of Jeff Long's tenure.

TebowHater

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 06:28:33 am
I don't know if a decision has been made, but the Board Members of the Razorback Foundation did meet with Scanlon on Friday.  That is fact.

He is on the board of the Razorback Foundation. The RF had a board meeting. That is all there is to that. For that matter, you could say the RF board likely met with your leading candidate Scott Varady last week, too (along with any/everyone else who attends those meetings).

He would be a great hire if he would take the job, but no decision has been made. They are forming the search committee this week per the leaky BOT member.

https://twitter.com/trey1037TheBuzz/status/932277250397007873

MC_Hog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 22, 2017, 01:07:28 am
Sounds like we'll be going back to playing more games in Little Rock if true.

I live in Central Arkansas & I hope we never play another game in WMS. Honestly it embrassing to even have to play games in that run down stadium. The 50's &60's are long gone.