Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The new AD will be...

Started by markaroni, November 22, 2017, 12:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

markaroni

A coworker of mine, his wife works for Stephens here in Little Rock. Yesterday she came home and told her husband (my coworker) that "Kevin" Scanlon is leaving Stephens to take an AD job at Arkansas. Just telling you what I was told. Believe what you want.

Farmer Hogget

Oh, Yay!  Someone with no experience as an AD but, by gosh, at least he's in the GOB network!  Another step back for Arkansas!  How humiliating!

Hognipotent

He's very sharp, if this is true he is a great hire. I hope you are right, he would be a perfect balance of ceo type with great Arkansas connections

southarkhog06

This is the thing I was afraid of, BB and Long had to be fired, I get that, but now we are going back to good ole Arkansas boys running the show. this could be a catastrophe.

greenie

If true, it's kind of funny since they called Jeff Long a bean counter.  Scanlon is a professional bean counter.  His qualification is that he can be manipulated by the GOBN while satisfying the calls for an "Arkansas man".  I hope he is indeed a great guy and develops into a great AD...he's certainly never done anything like it before, so only time will tell.

Sivad

So we're turning over this massive specialized operation to someone who has ZERO experience in the field?

mckinneyhog5

Sounds like we'll be going back to playing more games in Little Rock if true.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

regi

Kevin Scanlon has worked in Sports management for years, he has worked with Coaches, NFL and NBA players and helped them negotiate contracts and settlements. You all could find this stuff out, with a simple Google search for goodness sake. He played for Arkansas, but was born and raised in Pennsylvania. That still make him part of the GOBN? I mean, how would someone from little ole Arkansaw....manage a Coaching search, hiring and firing. Our brains can not think above huntin and fishin. Maybe we could hire pocket sports talk host Bo, to be the search committee of one?

regi

Quote from: Sivad on November 22, 2017, 01:01:22 am
So we’re turning over this massive specialized operation to someone who has ZERO experience in the field?

No

regi

Quote from: greenie on November 22, 2017, 12:53:42 am
If true, it's kind of funny since they called Jeff Long a bean counter.  Scanlon is a professional bean counter.  His qualification is that he can be manipulated by the GOBN while satisfying the calls for an "Arkansas man".  I hope he is indeed a great guy and develops into a great AD...he's certainly never done anything like it before, so only time will tell.

He actually has kind of done something like it before.

cosmodrum

Why are people surprised at this? They're getting the band back together. LSU will be in LR again, we will have AT LEAST two games there, our coach will be Gus, and anyone that doesn't drink sweet tea and have a gun rack will be booted from the BAC.

Yee. Haw.
Go away, batin'

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:13:09 am
No

Please, enlighten us to the years of experience Kevin Scanlon has as an Athletics Director.  I'll hang up and listen.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:14:53 am

Like, I've kind of run my own multi-million dollar company. . . kind of.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 22, 2017, 01:17:55 am
Why are people surprised at this? They're getting the band back together. LSU will be in LR again, we will have AT LEAST two games there, our coach will be Gus, and anyone that doesn't drink sweet tea and have a gun rack will be booted from the BAC.

Yee. Haw.
You forgot, We're all getting laid!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

rwspear

regi

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 01:19:26 am
Please, enlighten us to the years of experience Kevin Scanlon has as an Athletics Director.  I'll hang up and listen.

You want hang up or listen unfortunately. So please continue your walk of despair over the Cliff with pocket Sports talk guy. Or like I tell my son, Google it.

greenie

Sports management?  Please tell me what sport he managed.
Has he ever hired/fired D1 coaches?  Has he dealt with the media?  Has he been responsible for the promotion and well-being of hundreds of student athletes?  That's like saying Jimmy Sexton would be a great AD because of his tremendous sports management experience.
Look, he may turn out to be a great AD, but it's not because he has any experience that proves it.

There's only one reason to hire a guy like this:  he'll do what he's told.

Cylinder

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:12:45 am
Kevin Scanlon has worked in Sports management for years, he has worked with Coaches, NFL and NBA players...

Football, sports management, personnel management, boardroom experience, ties to the donor network...

Sivad

Well that should certainly allay all fears.

regi

Quote from: greenie on November 22, 2017, 01:31:28 am

Sports management?  Please tell me what sport he managed.
Has he ever hired/fired D1 coaches?  Has he dealt with the media?  Has he been responsible for the promotion and well-being of hundreds of student athletes?  That's like saying Jimmy Sexton would be a great AD because of his tremendous sports management experience.
Look, he may turn out to be a great AD, but it's not because he has any experience that proves it.

There's only one reason to hire a guy like this:  he'll do what he's told.

To the best of my knowledge, he has never hired a guy to go 11-28 in the SEC, and give him an insane, unnecessary buy out. Nor Hired Crazy John L Smith to line his pockets with cash to help him out of debt, or brought a sports program's APR up to last place in a decade. That is all true. I am sure, due to the positions he has held and the people he has worked with he has dealt with the media. Also, lets be honest here. If Long had not done, what he had no choice but to do, in firing Bobby P., over half the sports media that praises him now, would not be able to pull him out of a lineup. If it is Scanlon, none of us know for sure, he will do fine.

sickboy

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:12:45 am
Kevin Scanlon has worked in Sports management for years, he has worked with Coaches, NFL and NBA players and helped them negotiate contracts and settlements. You all could find this stuff out, with a simple Google search for goodness sake. He played for Arkansas, but was born and raised in Pennsylvania. That still make him part of the GOBN? I mean, how would someone from little ole Arkansaw....manage a Coaching search, hiring and firing. Our brains can not think above huntin and fishin. Maybe we could hire pocket sports talk host Bo, to be the search committee of one?

So, he's a yankee.

East Clintwood

Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 22, 2017, 12:51:20 am
This is the thing I was afraid of, BB and Long had to be fired, I get that, but now we are going back to good ole Arkansas boys running the show. this could be a catastrophe.

You mean something like the last 6 years?  That kind of catastrophe?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

regi

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 22, 2017, 01:52:31 am

Hey, the wins will, Coach B is sure of it...

Tusks

Get off Scanlon's arse. He's more successful than 99% of the posters on this board and more than qualified to be an AD.

It's a great pick and I think he'll do well.  Probably the best AD the hogs have had since the 90s.  Thats when JFB, with the help of White, started slipping.

Enough of the administrators doing a mans job.  They started ruining things when White got his hands into the program.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Arkiebarkie

We have to unite all Arkansas fans that's through out the state.  Jeff just was destroying our loyalty. Shoveling
Everything to NWA. I live in Fayetteville and was raised here. But I have traveled the state on business
Meeting many fans. They love the Razorbacks and feel they are being cast away. I'm an older fan, who thinks we are losing Arkansas greatest asset, the loyal Razorback fans from all over this great state!
Strength is in numbers, stay together brothers and we will take this program back! WPS.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: regi on November 22, 2017, 01:31:22 am
You want hang up or listen unfortunately. So please continue your walk of despair over the Cliff with pocket Sports talk guy. Or like I tell my son, Google it.

Soooo, in other words, he doesn't.  End of story!  Thanx for playing!

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: tusked on November 22, 2017, 01:54:08 am
Get off Scanlon's arse. He's more successful than 99% of the posters on this board and more than qualified to be an AD.

It's a great pick and I think he'll do well.  Probably the best AD the hogs have had since the 90s.  Thats when JFB, with the help of White, started slipping.

Enough of the administrators doing a mans job.  They started ruining things when White got his hands into the program.

No one is suggesting he's successful.  But, BB, whom all of you hate, was extremely successful at Wisconsin.

This is a horrible decision.  Just the GOBN taking over and making Arkansas look like the backwards institution everyone says it is.  Humiliating!

Tusks

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 02:30:22 am
No one is suggesting he's successful.  But, BB, whom all of you hate, was extremely successful at Wisconsin.

This is a horrible decision.  Just the GOBN taking over and making Arkansas look like the backwards institution everyone says it is.  Humiliating!

Humiliating?

Have you met the football program the last 5 years?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

factchecker

I'd love Scanlon to be our AD.

Highly succesful in his current position.

Great connections with current and potential boosters $$$$.

FORMER RAZORBACK!

Experience working with athletes:

QuoteKevin Scanlon
Kevin Scanlon helps athletes become millionaires.
The 37-year-old COO of Stephens Inc.'s sports management division has seen his agency reach elite status with the National Football League. Only one other national firm had a better college draft this year, when Stephens saw two athletes it represents drafted in the NFL's first round, and another two picked in the second. That meant healthy checks for those players, and they were all signed by the start of training camp.

"This has been a really good year for us," Scanlon says.

Last year, Scanlon's negotiations helped make defensive end Wayne Martin and quarterback Stan Humphries two of the highest paid players in the NFL. The company represents various athletes, most with Arkansas connections, in various professional sports. Also, coaches like Nolan Richardson, Danny Ford and Lou Holtz are signed with SSM, which handles contracts and/or investments and financial planning.

Scanlon, who quarterbacked the University of Arkansas Razorbacks to the Sugar Bowl in 1979, joined Stephens in 1987. Professional team general managers praise Scanlon's negotiating abilities, and the players sure can't complain about the contracts they're landing.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/people/lists/profile/286/kevin-scanlon

Most important----- he is NOT Tommy Tuberville or Houston Nutt.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

moses_007

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 22, 2017, 01:17:55 am

Yee. Haw.
+1.  Great stuff.

moses_007

Kevin was a former Razorback quarterback.  I've forgotten when he played, probably in the Broyles years sometime.  He will do well with his business background.  He has become an Arkie although he wasn't born here.  Frank Broyles wasn't born here either.  That doesn't matter a least bit where you're born.  I was born in California, but I sure aint a Californian.

FANONTHEHILL

November 22, 2017, 03:41:27 am #31 Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:58:29 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 03:15:08 am
Kevin was a former Razorback quarterback.  I've forgotten when he played, probably in the Broyles years sometime.  He will do well with his business background.  He has become an Arkie although he wasn't born here.  Frank Broyles wasn't born here either.  That doesn't matter a least bit where you're born.  I was born in California, but I sure aint a Californian.
He is from Beaver Falls,  Pennsylvania.  He signed with Lou Holtz when Holtz was the HC at NC State.  Holtz left NC State to coach the NY Jets.  After 1 miserable year there, he was hired at Arkansas.  Scanlon transferred to Arkansas at that time.   He played here for 2 seasons, 78 & 79.  I am totally on the fence on this if he is the right hire.  His is old school Razorback and a great guy from what I'm told, but he hasn't been an athletic administrator.  Although his experience as a player rep is a step in that direction, there is a lot more to it than that.   I do know he met last week with members of the Razorback Foundation Board and was this was likely the direction that things would go.   
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

moses_007

Well he's right here, why take so long in announcing him for the job?  He should have been announced on Monday like Pork predicted.

SquidBilly

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 03:49:13 am
Well he's right here, why take so long in announcing him for the job?  He should have been announced on Monday like Pork predicted.

If it is Scanlon, which will be great if true, he has a job at Stephens that requires a little longer time for him to transition out.  He heads up the private client arm which means he is dealing with big money people who have a lot of big money investments with Stephens.  He's going to have to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for those people.

southarkhog06

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 22, 2017, 01:52:31 am

Go back and find a post where I said anything about keeping Long.

Just because Long needed to go, does not mean we need a return to GOBN in the BAC.

moses_007

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 22, 2017, 04:04:12 am
If it is Scanlon, which will be great if true, he has a job at Stephens that requires a little longer time for him to transition out.  He heads up the private client arm which means he is dealing with big money people who have a lot of big money investments with Stephens.  He's going to have to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for those people.
True, but he could still be announced and everyone would know who the new AD is, even if he doesn't start until Jan. 1.

MissippHog

Hogville last Tuesday:
"Jeff Long needs to be fired!  He's a yankee carpetbagger and doesn't understand Arkansas athletics.  He'll never be one of us.  We need someone who understands Arkansas!"

Hogville this Tuesday:
"Oh, great.  Looks like the GOBN is back full force by hiring an ex-Razorback with ties throughout the state." 

texas tush hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 03:41:27 am
He is from Beaver Falls,  Pennsylvania.  He signed with Lou Holtz when Holtz was the HC at NC State.  Holtz left NC State to coach the NY Jets.  After 1 miserable year there, he was hired at Arkansas.  Scanlon transferred to Arkansas at that time.   He played here for 2 seasons, 78 & 79.  I am totally on the fence on this if he is the right hire.  His is old school Razorback and a great guy from what I'm told, but he hasn't been an athletic administrator.  Although his experience as a player rep is a step in that direction, there is a lot more to it than that.   I do know he met last week with members of the Razorback Foundation Board and was this was likely the direction that things would go.   

He played qb for a Sugar Bowl Football team and had a 9-1 record beating Texas and if not for a 3 point loss to Houston the next week, would have played for a National championship.. This GOBN junk is getting stale coming from a bunch of Razorback wannabes who never, in most cases never played college football, and definitely never played or coached at Arkansas. Kevin is one of us.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

It worked for years when Frank was still in good health... This in no way is indication that another Houston Nutt fiasco is probable.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mike_e

Are some of y'all griping because he's not a NWA guy and are afraid that he won't sell the farm to get Gus back here?

He ain't death or taxes so he's not a sure thing but aside from those two not much else is.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

texas tush hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 03:41:27 am

FANONTHEHILL, some day your son, Cooper, as a member of the "A" club, will have to endure all the GOBN insults on this board, because, as a former player will be one of the GOBN .

plumbhog

Haven't even thought of that. But you are so right. Things could right back to sucking as bad as they did all those years before Long and CBB came in and took us to places we've never been before!
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

SquidBilly

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:35:56 am
Oh, Yay!  Someone with no experience as an AD but, by gosh, at least he's in the GOB network!  Another step back for Arkansas!  How humiliating!

When I read posts like this all I see is ignorance and close mindedness.  That "GOBN" that everyone seems to like to criticize are the ones who foot the bill for the nice facilities we enjoy and keep the athletic department funded.  And to suggest that Scanlon is a puppet for said "GOBN" is insulting to a guy who has worked his way up to a very important position within one of the largest investment banks in the country.  Warren Stephens has him heading up the private client arm at Stephens Inc.  No way he gets that position just because he used to play for the Hogs or he knows the right people.  Stephens had to believe he was the best person for the job to give him that responsibility.  He may not know everything he needs to know but he'll have people working for him to help get him up to speed.  But I can tell you one thing, the job will not be too big for him.  You cannot be as successful as he's been in the investment world unless you have a whole lot of confidence and decisiveness.

Al Boarland

I'll wait to see what the committee says. I highly doubt prez already has made a selection without going through the process.

Torqued pork

Good gawd, The GOBN phobia has gotten ridiculous. Take a pill....or a dozen.

CallMeAl

Frank Broyles was never an AD before he was hired. If this was the train of thought back then, there would be only one national championship at the University of Arkansas.
Hog since birth.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 22, 2017, 04:22:31 am

He played qb for a Sugar Bowl Football team and had a 9-1 record beating Texas and if not for a 3 point loss to Houston the next week, would have played for a National championship.. This GOBN junk is getting stale coming from a bunch of Razorback wannabes who never, in most cases never played college football, and definitely never played or coached at Arkansas. Kevin is one of us.

I've got nothing against Kevin Scanlon and don't buy in to the "can't be from the North" garbage that fills this board.  I don't doubt he is "one of us" but also don't think the AD had to be "one of us" to succeed.   As for the post above saying Cooper will be part of the GOBN, he doesn't want to be part of it, but he very much would like to be someone HIRED by it in the future.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

RexMentor

Kevin Scanlon -- business man. If so, then he knows it make no business sense for Arkansas to continue paying (what is it? 6 figures?) the War Memorial Stadium Commission to play a "home" game 300 miles from the campus in front to 20,000 fewer people and have to deal with the recruiting restrictions because the game isn't on campus. Kevin Scanlon - business man. We'll find out.

jkstock04

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:35:56 am
If you disapprove then this must be a good thing...all I need to know.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HAWG MAFIA

I'll believe it when i see it.

OP has 3 post, he's trolling