Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lunney

Started by nobballconcept, November 21, 2017, 08:27:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 21, 2017, 10:02:57 pm
If he had higher aspirations he would have left years ago. That was my point. Some people are motivated by more than just money and power. I realize that's a difficult concept.

Of course he's not irreplaceable. Everyone is replaceable. The question is whether it makes sense to replace him.

Not difficult to understand that at all, but not having higher aspirations is about as non-HC'ing material as working a room is HC'ing material.  I appreciate his commitment to the UA, but such doesn't necessarily mean it's in our best interest to retain him. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

texas tush hog

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 10:06:49 pm
I would like to keep Smith because of his recruiting and we have had good WR most of his years here.

But Kodi is a Gus guy and I'm sure Kodi is okay moving back home

Gus will probably bring Kodi, Timmy, Rhett Lashlee, and possibly J.B. Grimes. In state recruiting would be solid. No room for Lil Barry.

King Kong

Quote from: swineology on November 21, 2017, 08:51:55 pm
He gone, look at our WR's

Dog Poop

Thanks for proving you are clueless

texas tush hog

Quote from: jdlew on November 21, 2017, 10:02:27 pm
Lunney can stay if he wants to...This big push for Arkansas people running the program...there will be a spot for him here...

I wouldn't count on it if I were you.

King Kong

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 10:11:39 pm

Gus will probably bring Kodi, Timmy, Rhett Lashlee, and possibly J.B. Grimes. In state recruiting would be solid. No room for Lil Barry.

First off. I doubt that's who he brings. Second not a single one of them coach TE's. Larry Porter his current TE coach is not a Malzahn guy.

Kodi and Tim yes. But OC is most likely Chip or Drinkwitz. Lashlee and Malzahn have run their course. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Herb Hand who is also Malzahn guy all the way back to Tulsa.

Calvin Swine

I hope he's allowed to stay.  TE has been one of the constant good things about the past 5 yeas.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 08:31:36 pm
What's so special about Lunney?

4th and goal from the 4, six seconds to go.  twas special

hogfaninrogers

Would have been nice ,to have seen what Lunny could've done as the  interim head coach, If we would have fired Bielma about three [CENSORED] weeks ago 😜

King Kong

Quote from: hogfaninrogers on November 21, 2017, 11:04:11 pm
Would have been nice ,to have seen what Lunny could've done as the  interim head coach, If we would have fired Bielma about three [CENSORED] weeks ago 😜

Zero value added

hogfaninrogers

Zero value added ?

hogfaninrogers

Good old boy network could've seen what he could've done with the team and possibly shipped t him off somewhere to a third world country program somewhere ,where they don't even play with inflated footballs and maybe you could prove  yourself and u can come back in a few years 'that's the value  i.e. Mike Anderson

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 21, 2017, 08:49:54 pm
STOP IT!  Why?  The only way that happens is if the new coach has an assistant who defects!  Why would a new coach need a lead recruiter in the state of Arkansas?  Lunney will be GONE when the new coach comes in!  Why should we care any way?

Maybe because the rest of us are human beings and we care about other human being losing their jobs.  Believe it or not, there are things in life that are actually MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOOTBALL.  Let that sink in for just a moment.  Thanx!

cosmodrum

He will be retained if the multimillionaire versions of Earl, Red and Skinny want him to be retained.
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

wikipedia brown

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 10:11:08 pm
Okay first. Gragg didn't play for Lunney. That was Petrino. You must be thinking of Sprinkle.

We Lunney got here Sprinkle was a WR and Derby a QB. Who the heck do you think taught them to play?
also you can give him credit for Austin Cantrell and Cheyenne o'grady.  The tight end position has never been lacking as long as he has been here.

nichc85

Gone. He got retained once. New coach will want a clean sweep.

moses_007

Quote from: nichc85 on November 22, 2017, 03:26:14 am
Gone. He got retained once. New coach will want a clean sweep.
Frankly he isn't that good.  Look at the kids he's coached at quarterback and tell me he's done a good job.  I don't see it.

factchecker

Quote from: swineology on November 21, 2017, 08:51:55 pm
He gone, look at our WR's

Dog Poop

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 03:34:30 am
Frankly he isn't that good.  Look at the kids he's coached at quarterback and tell me he's done a good job.  I don't see it.

I really hope these are jokes.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/barry-lunney-jr/

QuoteBarry Lunney Jr., a former Arkansas starting quarterback, is entering his fifth season as tight ends coach at his alma mater. A member of head coach Bret Bielema's first staff at Arkansas, Lunney has strengthened the program's reputation as #TEU over his four years.

Lunney's work his not only resulted success as Razorbacks, but also caught the interest of NFL personnel. Highlighted by Hunter Henry being the first tight end taken off the board in the 2016 NFL Draft, Arkansas is the only program in the country to have a tight end taken in each of the last three drafts dating back to 2015.
From 2014 to 2016, Lunney helped develop Henry into the best tight end in the nation. On December 9, 2015, that became official when Henry was named the John Mackey Award winner following his junior season. Henry joined D.J. Williams as former Razorbacks to win the award to make Arkansas the only program to have multiple winners in the award's history.
Lunney serves as the team's primary recruiter in the state of Arkansas. The Razorbacks signed 10 players from the Natural State in the 2015 recruiting class, the most in-state signees since 2008. Arkansas' haul also featured the nation's best class of tight ends.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

moses_007

Guess I was wrong.  I thought he was QB coach.  My bad.

LZH

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 10:11:39 pm

I thought Lashlee took the HC job at UConn or somewhere like that.

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 01:16:43 am
Maybe because the rest of us are human beings and we care about other human being losing their jobs.  Believe it or not, there are things in life that are actually MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOOTBALL.  Let that sink in for just a moment.  Thanx!

Says the guy who is still defending a below average lame duck coach on a football message board at 2:15 am.

Tim Harris

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 10:17:39 pm
First off. I doubt that's who he brings. Second not a single one of them coach TE's. Larry Porter his current TE coach is not a Malzahn guy.

Kodi and Tim yes. But OC is most likely Chip or Drinkwitz. Lashlee and Malzahn have run their course. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Herb Hand who is also Malzahn guy all the way back to Tulsa.

If Gus does get the job I think it will be Horton, Hand, and Drinkwitz.

Hope he takes a look at Michael Smith as he has done a great job recruiting for us in LA.

MJ2

He needs to be retained and the acting AD should publicly double his salary Saturday a.m.

hawgXi

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 21, 2017, 08:42:01 pm
Like him but Lunney needs to go somewhere else for a bit.  He needs expand his resume and maybe try and catch on as a coordinator somewhere.  I think eventually he could be a head coach.

lunney went out west to coach as co-offensive coordinator at san jose state w/ fitz

lunney was also coached WR & QB for tulsa's high powered offense in 2000- 2002

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawgXi on November 22, 2017, 11:11:53 am
lunney went out west to coach as co-offensive coordinator at san jose state w/ fitz

lunney was also coached WR & QB for tulsa's high powered offense in 2000- 2002

At the risk of putting words in his mouth, maybe a stint as an assistant at a big boy program would be very beneficial to him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

FANONTHEHILL

Seen Lashlee mentioned and that he would come with Gus. He's not "with Gus".
He's currently the OC at UConn.  He might come back to NWA, but he's already trying to make a name for himself apart from Gus.  My #1 tandem is Brent Venables as HC/DC and Lashlee as OC.

Staying on topic, I like Lunney and hope he would be retained if/when a change is made.
If Malzahn came and brought back Horton, I'd been a huge supporter of that also.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 11:15:27 am
Seen Lashlee mentioned and that he would come with Gus. He's not "with Gus".
He's currently the OC at UConn.  He might come back to NWA, but he's already trying to make a name for himself apart from Gus.  My #1 tandem is Brent Venables as HC/DC and Lashlee as OC.

Staying on topic, I like Lunney and hope he would be retained if/when a change is made.
If Malzahn came and brought back Horton, I'd been a huge supporter of that also.

Yeah, wouldn't mind trying Venables out.

King Kong

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 22, 2017, 08:41:04 am
If Gus does get the job I think it will be Horton, Hand, and Drinkwitz.

Hope he takes a look at Michael Smith as he has done a great job recruiting for us in LA.

I'm all for Michael Smith being retained. But Kodi is a Gus guy and a NWA guy. I don't see how he doesn't come here. (All under the assumption it's Gus)

Maybe Tim can coach TE and Kodi to RV and Smith stays at WR. Or Smith to Rb coach like he did at Kansas State.

They would also add a 10th coach this year. I assume Gus would use that on defense but I don't know

WaltonCollege

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 10:11:08 pm
Okay first. Gragg didn't play for Lunney. That was Petrino. You must be thinking of Sprinkle.

We Lunney got here Sprinkle was a WR and Derby a QB. Who the heck do you think taught them to play?

My bad I meant sprinkles not Gragg...Mondays amarite?

But yeah I could take or leave lunney. I thought Little Gragg and O Grady and Cantrell would have much bigger impacts the last two years. They have not.

PorkRinds

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 03:34:30 am

Wait what? He didn't coach anyone at QB.

rusvegashog

If he wants a job I would want him here.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 01:16:43 am

Not to a coach that is feeding his family with it.

jabohog

Quote from: nobballconcept on November 21, 2017, 08:27:46 pm
Is Lunney retained by any or all new HC?  Feel like he has done a good job. Keeps some in state contacts in place for recruiting  and bleeds hogs.
I'm thinking Lunney is in line for the HC job. It will probably come down to that and still be better than Bert.

HogMantheIntruder

Where is all the hate coming from? "Lil Barry"??? WTH is that? If you don't think he's going to be retained or that he shouldn't be, that's fine, but the guy has been all Hog and a damn good TE coach. There's ZERO reason to trash the guy. SMH
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on November 21, 2017, 08:31:22 pm
I would think so. Smart move. If it is Gus, which it may or may not be.... I would especially expect to see him stay in some capacity. That would bring Gus, Horton and Lunney all to the recruiting trail.
lunney and horton hate each other apparently.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RazorPiggie

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 21, 2017, 09:04:09 pm
Henry, Gragg, and Derby. All NFL tight ends made Lunneys job easy. He lost them and how have our TEs been since? All I'm saying is I'm just sayin

Our offense this year has been terrible. Not because of the TEs. QB can't get them the ball.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I think Michael Smith would be a more important hold over. His LA recruiting makes him valuable
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Snouty

We should have enough faith in a new coach to trust him to decide who to hire as assistants.  None of us know whether Lunney would be a good fit with the new coach. 

farmhawg

Needs to be a clean sweep.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!