Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sumlin out at A&M

Started by TexHog188, November 21, 2017, 06:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

East Clintwood

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2017, 08:05:23 pm
lol, I suppose saban is underachieving because he doesn't with a championship every year?  how many championships has harbough won at michigan.  damn under acheiver.  same with urban meyer. 

none of those guys are good enough to coach mighty arkansas.

What I'm highlighting is that we already know quite a bit about Gus's and Sumlin's abilities.

Gus with # 5 to10 recruit ranking and SECw schedule at Auburn equals about 8 wins/yr

Gus with #22 to 27 recruit ranking and SECw schedule at Ark equals about 6/6.5 wins/yr

Same with Sumlin although I think Sumlin is the better recruiter and is more likely to successfully recruit Texas than Gus is to recruit Alabama/Georgia.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

rljjr

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 07:40:20 pm
He would have had a better record than CBB here but not by a whole lot. Look how much he underachieved with A&Ms recruiting advantages.

That's bc recruiting advantages are a myth. The more we perpetuate them the more the younger kids will believe it. It's just not so. The Aggies are who we think they are. Middle of the road with the occasional uptick.

Boardon Hamsay

We should get Bazzel in on designing a UofA BOT/GOBN vs aTM BOR SW Classic Coaching Search Trophy.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I think Sumlin would be a good hire.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hoggish1

ShadowTheHedgehog

Let's hope the Aggies really Agg their next hire. Plz!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Snouty on November 21, 2017, 06:40:13 pm
I'd be surprised if A&M beat LSU.

Were you surprised the last time they didn't beat them.  LOL

Hoggish1

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2017, 06:48:38 pm
maybe they are hoping that one of these schools that fired their coach early will "steal"  him and we wont have to pay the buy out

ding, ding, ding...  ;)

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on November 21, 2017, 06:51:57 pm
The minute they fire Sumlin they owe him like $10M in one lump sum.

Yes, and that's pocket change for them, so?

hog.goblin

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 07:40:20 pm
He would have had a better record than CBB here but not by a whole lot. Look how much he underachieved with A&Ms recruiting advantages.

A&M has always underachieved with A&Ms recruiting advantages

If Sumlin had avoided QB drama he would be looking at an extension right now

Hogwarrior

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 21, 2017, 06:48:38 pm
maybe they are hoping that one of these schools that fired their coach early will "steal"  him and we wont have to pay the buy out

Why do people keep talking about BB's buyout?  Do any of you pay any attention to any other sports news other than the Hogs?  Post like these tell me you don't!  JL and BB's buyouts are peanuts in today's world of college sports.  Don't trust me, click on the link.  You may be a little more informed prior to jumping on the money post by those who don't have a clue about the business side of college sports! 

https://amp.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

Hoggish1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 21, 2017, 07:40:25 pm
The way those FSU fans have gone full retard after one bad season I can see Jimbo bolting.  I mean, the guy is 82-23 at FSU with double digit wins 6 out of 8 years (the other being 9 wins and this year 4-8 (likely)) and has a national title. 

Any coach half way sporting a brain can get 9 wins at FSU.  Fisher won't get rid of his retard D-coordinator or his double retard O-line coach. (maybe I've got those two backwards in the retard dept. but you get the point...)

Watch what happens at FSU if they get Frost.

Swestwill66

GM and Summy are real similar. They both have outstanding recruits with average results.

Swestwill66

Maybe Gus should go to A&M and Sumlin go to auburn.

26.2Hog

31to6

Quote from: rljjr on November 21, 2017, 08:31:56 pm
That's bc recruiting advantages are a myth. The more we perpetuate them the more the younger kids will believe it. It's just not so. The Aggies are who we think they are. Middle of the road with the occasional uptick.
Nah. Aggies have always had a talent advantage. Look at all the 1st round picks Sumlin has sent to the NFL.

But at the end of the day, Aggie gonna Aggie.

Losing 4-5 games a year with top-10 recruiting classes and only getting to a Cotton Bowl with a Heisman winning QB is the most Aggie thing ever.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Calling All Hogs

Aggies quickly forgot what an upgrade Sumlin was over their last coach. Please let the next one be another Mike Sherman.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: tusked on November 21, 2017, 06:51:57 pm
The minute they fire Sumlin they owe him like $10M in one lump sum.

That is basically pocket change to Texas A&M.

It seems like I recall one of their fans posting before on a SEC Board over on another message board that they have around 20 or 30 Millionaires sitting in just one section of their stadium.

moses_007

Another SEC football coach bites the dust. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 21, 2017, 09:05:59 pm
Aggies quickly forgot what an upgrade Sumlin was over their last coach. Please let the next one be another Mike Sherman.

Aggies should be a perennial top 15 team. Something is bad wrong over there and has been for decades.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 21, 2017, 06:40:22 pm
This is what we should've already done.
This literally is what we have done. Sumlin is not officially out, but everyone knows its coming. Same with Bret.

hog.goblin

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 09:28:00 pm
Aggies should be a perennial top 15 team. Something is bad wrong over there and has been for decades.

many many decades

Pecos Hog

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 21, 2017, 08:25:29 pm
What I'm highlighting is that we already know quite a bit about Gus's and Sumlin's abilities.

Gus with # 5 to10 recruit ranking and SECw schedule at Auburn equals about 8 wins/yr

Gus with #22 to 27 recruit ranking and SECw schedule at Ark equals about 6/6.5 wins/yr

Same with Sumlin although I think Sumlin is the better recruiter and is more likely to successfully recruit Texas than Gus is to recruit Alabama/Georgia.

So, you think that Gus would be no better than what we have now with Bert?   I'm not buying it.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 21, 2017, 10:00:02 pm
So, you think that Gus would be no better than what we have now with Bert?   I'm not buying it.
Just about anyone would be better than what we had the last 5 years.11 sec wins in 5 years is a disgrace.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 07:32:37 pm
We're getting Sumlin.

I kid, I kid...

We're not, but UCLA may or possibly Wash State if Leach leaves to take a better job(not us).

Pecos Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 21, 2017, 10:04:16 pm
Just about anyone would be better than what we had the last 5 years.11 sec wins in 5 years is a disgrace.
Ditto

Everyone has a right to their opinions, no matter how ignorant.

Pecos Hog

Kevin Sumlin is a great coach.   Aggies may be reaching here.    You wonder if they already have something lined up.   They can certainly afford to get a great coach....its certainly going to be costly.     

Very tough to average 8+ wins/year in the SEC West like Sumlin did.   Even harder to take it to >9 wins/year.    I can only think of one active coach in the SEC with an average over 9 wins/yr (another one got fired last year!).   And Gus is very close to that number too.   

hog.goblin

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 06:23:18 pm
Morris?

Sumlin 2.0 - except perhaps the drinking problem - and not saying that's a bad thing.  They'll fire Morris after winning 8.8 games every year too.

NuttinItUp

8 wins has been Sumlin's floor. He could get 9 wins this year if they beat LSU and win bowl game. Why are they firing him?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 21, 2017, 10:27:42 pm
Kevin Sumlin is a great coach.   Aggies may be reaching here.    You wonder if they already have something lined up.   They can certainly afford to get a great coach....its certainly going to be costly.     

Very tough to average 8+ wins/year in the SEC West like Sumlin did.   Even harder to take it to >9 wins/year.    I can only think of one active coach in the SEC with an average over 9 wins/yr (another one got fired last year!).   And Gus is very close to that number too.   

This.

Why are the Ags getting rid of him? His record is very good.

TeufelHog

Wonder what Kiffin could do at aTm?

BroyledNutts

I would be curious to see if Sumlin could get those higher value recruits that say Fayetteville doesn't have enough of the right "culture" to come here ...

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 21, 2017, 07:58:54 pm
How many double digit win seasons and national titles does Gus have as head coach again?

Gus as a Head Coach:
Arkansas State   9-3
Auburn             12-2
Auburn               8-5
Auburn               7-6
Auburn               8-5
Auburn               9-2

So, really, given the talent he has had to work with, Gus is a major underachiever.  His record is only slightly better the BB's.  Yes.  Let's sign Gus and see how he does here.

hog.goblin

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 21, 2017, 11:32:14 pm
This.

It's the Aggie way.  They've had a historically good run off success.  Time to downgrade coaches.

Farmer Hogget

Kevin Sumlin @ A&M:

11-2
9-4
8-5
8-5
8-5
7-4 so far this year.

Yeah, he's another winner.

Farmer Hogget

Everyone is griping about 7 - 5 and 8 - 4 seasons yet all this talk about coaches who have these records is all at once more appealing than the coach we have now?  I think not.  If Arkansas is going to fire BB, they need to be prepared to throw some money at a good coach with proven defensive play.  Arkansas isn't losing because of the offense they run, they're losing because they can't play defense and haven't had a coach in years that cares about defense.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 21, 2017, 11:32:14 pm
This.

Kevin Sumlin @ A&M:

11-2
9-4
8-5
8-5
8-5
7-4 so far this year.

Yes!  GREAT record.

Farmer Hogget

Also, the average rank of recruiting classes in the past 5 years according to Rivals is as follows:

#7  Auburn
#9  Texas A&M
#25  Arkansas

So, Gus and Sumlin have only achieved mediocre numbers with much higher recruiting classes.  They would not be a good fit at Arkansas.

hogginbama

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 21, 2017, 11:31:22 pm
8 wins has been Sumlin's floor. He could get 9 wins this year if they beat LSU and win bowl game. Why are they firing him?

You say Sumlin has a good record with a low of 8 wins and a possibility of 9 with top 10-15 recruiting classes. Then you want to fire our guy who has gone 7, 8, 7 with a major downfall this year with 25ish ranked classes. His first year was a given by everyone after having to rehab the program from the debacle known as JLS. It was said by many high posters on here that 6-7 would be the best this season could offer because of the player turnover and could possibly be worse if hiccups happened. If 8-9 is good for too 10-15, why is 7-8 not good with 23-25 ranked classes?

You giys and your flip flooping have confused me again. Damn it sucks getting old.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Boarme

Quote from: hogginbama on November 22, 2017, 12:24:02 am
You say Sumlin has a good record with a low of 8 wins and a possibility of 9 with top 10-15 recruiting classes. Then you want to fire our guy who has gone 7, 8, 7 with a major downfall this year with 25ish ranked classes. His first year was a given by everyone after having to rehab the program from the debacle known as JLS. It was said by many high posters on here that 6-7 would be the best this season could offer because of the player turnover and could possibly be worse if hiccups happened. If 8-9 is good for too 10-15, why is 7-8 not good with 23-25 ranked classes?

You giys and your flip flooping have confused me again. Damn it sucks getting old.
BB is getting fired not just because of the record.  He is getting fired for the lack of progress.  He is getting fired for the way last year ended.  He is getting fired because his Arkansas teams quit in the face of adversity.  How many more blow out losses do you want?

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Boarme on November 22, 2017, 01:20:01 am
  BB is getting fired not just because of the record.  He is getting fired for the lack of progress.  He is getting fired for the way last year ended.  He is getting fired because his Arkansas teams quit in the face of adversity.  How many more blow out losses do you want?

Kevin Sumlin @ A&M:

11-2
9-4
8-5
8-5
8-5
7-4 so far this year.

This is not progress.  This is sustained mediocrity.

Boarme

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 01:22:56 am
Kevin Sumlin @ A&M:

11-2
9-4
8-5
8-5
8-5
7-4 so far this year.

This is not progress.  This is sustained mediocrity.
I didn't say Sumlin was better or not.  I stated why BB will be or should be gone.

Athog

Quote from: greenie on November 21, 2017, 08:01:32 pm
Maybe aTm will now join in on the Chip Kelly sweepstakes.

Texas AM has deep pockets! They right in a recruiting hot-bed too!! They will hire someone who ca be swayed by money!!

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

TDHawgs

Great with Sumlin gone maybe Bielema can finally win against A&M.. .. the unfortunate part for Bielema is that he won't get that chance.

HotlantaHog

If BB had Sumlin's record, no one at Arkansas would be even talking about firing him. He wouldn't even be on the hot seat.

Jeff Long would still have a job as well.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:20:33 am
Also, the average rank of recruiting classes in the past 5 years according to Rivals is as follows:

#7  Auburn
#9  Texas A&M
#25  Arkansas

So, Gus and Sumlin have only achieved mediocre numbers with much higher recruiting classes.  They would not be a good fit at Arkansas.
You don't appear to know much about football.   Gus's record is not mediocre. Far from it.  It's  actually next to best in the SEC (actually, he's been proven to be highly successful wherever he's coached).   Only Saban has a better winning percentage among active SEC Coaches with more than a few seasons.    I'd take an BCSNCG game every 5 years or so.   

And I don't get these people that say that we would continue to have lower ranked recruiting classes after you bring in a new coach.    The coach who's doing the recruiting makes a difference.   If Gus - or Mike - is our new coach watch for our recruiting class rankings to go up.

returntoglory

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 21, 2017, 08:45:36 pm
Why do people keep talking about BB's buyout?  Do any of you pay any attention to any other sports news other than the Hogs?  Post like these tell me you don't!  JL and BB's buyouts are peanuts in today's world of college sports.  Don't trust me, click on the link.  You may be a little more informed prior to jumping on the money post by those who don't have a clue about the business side of college sports! 

https://amp.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

I've seen this article a couple of times, but without seeing the budget (which may be available) for the athletic departments (not just football), how can we know if that 15 mil is just sitting around?