Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tough year=tough schedule

Started by mckinneyhog5, November 21, 2017, 01:31:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mckinneyhog5

W-L Record of the teams that we lost to.  60-17
3 teams ranked in top 10 and 5 ranked in top 20. Only team that we lost to not ranked. A$M who sits at 7-4.
Tough year to have a down year.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

menehune

Truth!  But prepare to be slammed as an apologist rather than some who simply provided the unvarnished truth.

Kevin

besides playing tcu, this is a normal year in the sec west.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jst01

Tough time to have a down 5 years. The competition will always be strong. Get better players and win more games.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 01:31:49 pm
3 teams ranked in top 10 and 5 ranked in top 20. Only team that we lost to not ranked. A$M who sits at 7-4.
Isn't it pretty similar to this every year though?  That's part of being in the SEC West.

We also almost lost to a bad 5-6 Ole Miss team and a terrible 2-9 Coastal Carolina team.

elksnort

Quote from: menehune on November 21, 2017, 01:55:57 pm
Truth!  But prepare to be slammed as an apologist rather than some who simply provided the unvarnished truth.
Well, why does one even start a thread then? Do you expect everyone to agree? Of course not.

Barely defeating the mythical flying chickens ought to tell you all you need to know about this year's team.

SooieGeneris

We DID play a very tough schedule, and have some key injuries. However, everyone in the SEC West has a very tough sked and everyone in football has injuries.

When we got a break in the schedule and had easier games we: slopped around vs Fla. A&M, but that was ok as it was the opener and we still won handily.

Then slopped around vs NM State and had to come from down 31-7 to beat an OM team  in the midst of an NCAA mess with an interim coach.

Then had to come back from a 13 point deficit in the 4th quarter against a team playing a 2nd string QB, with 4 freshmen starting in the O Line.

Coastal Carolina has ONE WIN on the season and most of their losses were of the blowout variety. They have been blown out in their games since that game.

This team clearly has not been motivated or shown any fire in  most games and with all the defensive changes, we shot up to 111th in the FBS in defense out of 130 teams.

There has been nothing to indicate improvement in any area, it is time to move on!
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Not just who you are losing to but how you are losing.  Not just who you are beating but how you are beating them.  Swap the order of our game with OM with when KY played them.  We got Ta'amu for his first start, KY got him the game after.  Play them again with the kid having a few starts under his belt and they don't beat themselves in the second half.  It's all relative.  You are your record period.  Let's stop trying to explain it away.  Good coaches find ways to win.  Good coaches find a way to motivate.  This team seemed to only give a $hit when it was evident the coach was on his last legs.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pigmania

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 21, 2017, 02:00:54 pm
Isn't it pretty similar to this every year though?  That's part of being in the SEC West.

We also almost lost to a bad 5-6 Ole Miss team and a terrible 2-9 Coastal Carolina team.
Maybe Arkansas should make a request to be moved to the SEC East where it would be a little easier to get more wins.

mckinneyhog5

I'm not defending BB but looking at the schedule who SHOULd we have beat? Name the teams and explain why we should have won. You can scratch off Auburn and Alabama because one of them will be in the playoffs. TCU has lost 2 games and ranked 10.  SC? Nope LSU? Nope Miss State/A&M? maybe split 1-1. So, out of our losses take one out of the L column and add it to the W column.
Let's also say we add Missouri to the W column and we'd finish at 6-6. Still wouldn't be good enough for most. Not ranked in the top 25 to start year. Lost our #1 RB to retirement before season started. Didn't return any WR besides Cornelius, who went out with injury early second half of A&M game. AA goes down, Ragnow out for year and defensive injuries.
Like I said tough year to have all these issues go against you. Of course the SEC west is always tough but this year is unusually tough with Miss State playing lights out and add SC from the east to the mix. IMHO there was not anyway BB was going to survive this year but I don't know of many coaches that could have taken the same situation and got us to 8 wins.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Kevin on November 21, 2017, 01:57:35 pm
besides playing tcu, this is a normal year in the sec west.

^^^This.

Plus the fact that overall, the SEC is not particularly dominant this season other than Bama. At the beginning of the year, almost everyone looked vulnerable. Auburn was coming off a weak season, LSU, A&M was and still is A&M. OM was/is a dumpster fire. You can't blame the schedule when we consistently have one of the Top 5 or 10 most difficult schedules EVERY YEAR in college football. It's to be expected.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

bphi11ips

I said it in June. No apology now.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

dfwalumdad

yes! i'm sure that must be it! you've figured it out friend.

given that we've averaged 2.2 conference wins annually over 5 years, i guess you could say every year's tough in the SEC.

sorry friend but you just can't escape the man's record.

it's got to be exhausting to be you.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 21, 2017, 02:35:49 pm
^^^This.

Plus the fact that overall, the SEC is not particularly dominant this season other than Bama. At the beginning of the year, almost everyone looked vulnerable. Auburn was coming off a weak season, LSU, A&M was and still is A&M. OM was/is a dumpster fire. You can't blame the schedule when we consistently have one of the Top 5 or 10 most difficult schedules EVERY YEAR in college football. It's to be expected.
So, since it's "expected to be tough" every year what are your expectations for the next coach? Minimum 8 wins a year?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 02:38:15 pm
yes! i'm sure that must be it! you've figured it out friend.

given that we've averaged 2.2 conference wins annually over 5 years, i guess you could say every year's tough in the SEC.

sorry friend but you just can't escape the man's record.

it's got to be exhausting to be you.
So, how many games do we win next year with a new coach?

Also, why should it be exhausting? Rational conversations aren't exhausting to me. I know it takes more thought than posting memes.

Dropkick

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 02:32:11 pm
I'm not defending BB but looking at the schedule who SHOULd we have beat? Name the teams and explain why we should have won. You can scratch off Auburn and Alabama because one of them will be in the playoffs. TCU has lost 2 games and ranked 10.  SC? Nope LSU? Nope Miss State/A&M? maybe split 1-1. So, out of our losses take one out of the L column and add it to the W column.
Let's also say we add Missouri to the W column and we'd finish at 6-6. Still wouldn't be good enough for most. Not ranked in the top 25 to start year. Lost our #1 RB to retirement before season started. Didn't return any WR besides Cornelius, who went out with injury early second half of A&M game. AA goes down, Ragnow out for year and defensive injuries.
Like I said tough year to have all these issues go against you. Of course the SEC west is always tough but this year is unusually tough with Miss State playing lights out and add SC from the east to the mix. IMHO there was not anyway BB was going to survive this year but I don't know of many coaches that could have taken the same situation and got us to 8 wins.
Who, pray tell, assembled the team and staff that wasn't supposed to win any of those games.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Dropkick on November 21, 2017, 02:43:38 pm
Who, pray tell, assembled the team and staff that wasn't supposed to win any of those games.
The HC? Again, I'm not defending BB but people who thought we were going to have an 8-10 win season this year need to reevaluate their expectations.
What happens next year with a new coach and he only wins 6 games? Will it be time for pitchforks again?

sickboy

I don't understand how some people can't separate fact from agenda. You can admit that we have an insanely hard schedule, and still believe that Bielema isn't the right guy for the job.

Dropkick

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 02:47:52 pm
The HC? Again, I'm not defending BB but people who thought we were going to have an 8-10 win season this year need to reevaluate their expectations.
What happens next year with a new coach and he only wins 6 games? Will it be time for pitchforks again?
I agree patience will be needed. I believe 5 years was enough patience in BB's case.

8-10 wins was unrealistic but 4 or 5 is unacceptable.

I really like Bielema, wanted him to succeed and initially thought he would get it done. I hope he has better luck at his next stop.

HogPharmer

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 02:41:22 pm
So, since it's "expected to be tough" every year what are your expectations for the next coach? Minimum 8 wins a year?

Adapt or die. That's the way it is in the SEC, particularly the West. Based on you basically excusing our record this year, 4-8 should be acceptable every year no? The schedule is ALWAYS this difficult. That was my point. Like sickboy said, you can still admit we have a difficult schedule, but you can't excuse the fact that CBB just isn't cutting it here. There is no magic win number. And, especially for this year, if you listen to/read some of the few intelligent posts on here, it's not about our losses to get to our current record. It's the fact we haven't even competed in the majority of games. Give me a coach that gives us a chance against Auburn, LSU, South Carolina and occasionally Bama and he'll turn out wins.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: sickboy on November 21, 2017, 02:51:53 pm
I don't understand how some people can't separate fact from agenda. You can admit that we have an insanely hard schedule, and still believe that Bielema isn't the right guy for the job.
Never stated he should stay, just looking back at this season and how tough it was compared to last year.
Win % of SEC teams that beat us last year 59.6% includes Missouri
Win % of SEC teams that beat us this year 77.9% does not Include Missouri
We had a much tougher schedule this year.

aloha_kid

Bump!

hawkhawg

Quote from: sickboy on November 21, 2017, 02:51:53 pm

or hating and attacking someone because they are not very good at their job.

HogPharmer

I understand you aren't defending BB, BUT I want a coach where we don't automatically put L's on the schedule for 1/2 our conference games before the season even starts.

jgphillips3

And Petrino gets slammed for not being able to beat Alabama and LSU in 2011 when they had once in a lifetime quality defenses in the same year...SMH...

HeathWimp

So, in your opinion, should Bielema get Year 6?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Uberanubis

\

here is some unvarnished truth, if we were a better football team then some other team would get to hang their hat on this garbage. excuses. we play in the toughest conference in football. you come to play or go the F home.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Boston RedHogs

And what exactly was the total point differential through those games??

It's one thing to lose. It's quite another to be humiliated during those losses.

And when the hell did we as Arkansas fans begin rationalizing sub-par seasons????

From Tusk Till Dawn

I never had high expectations for this year before it started.  Thought 7 wins was probably the high water mark.  What is interesting is most here didn't either so the piling on is kinda weird.  We didnt have much depth to begin with and then the injuries starting stacking up.  I agree with all your facts, and there's plenty more (50% of all games played were against ranked opponents) but imo we should always be atleast a 500 team.  I could give the benefit of the doubt and give him one more year but it would have to have some known stipulations (ex. 8 reg season wins, staff change, etc).  Most people say they would boycott the games but they wouldn't.  If we won the first 4 or 5 games the temp would go down in HV.  But with all that said, I think a change would be good too, for everyone.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 02:42:35 pm
So, how many games do we win next year with a new coach?

more than four how's that.....more than four at least 2 sec games. that would be a 100% improvement over your hero bertrum.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on November 21, 2017, 08:59:17 pm
And what exactly was the total point differential through those games??

It's one thing to lose. It's quite another to be humiliated during those losses.

And when the hell did we as Arkansas fans begin rationalizing sub-par seasons????

we have a small minority of very vocal fans with a vested interest in proving we can't win in the sec. for some reason.

do i think it's a conspiracy? no i just think by nature they are losers.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 09:34:25 pm
we have a small minority of very vocal fans with a vested interest in proving we can't win in the sec. for some reason.

do i think it's a conspiracy? no i just think by nature they are losers.
I think we can win in the SEC but historically that has only happened in spurts and I believe that will be the case going forward too.  We have 6 seasons of 9 or more wins in 25 years.  Our overall record in SEC is under 500 and that was the case before CBB also.  But I'm sure the promise land is right around the corner, or the next one.  I hope so anyway.

Garon111

I don't have any idea about next year.  All I know is, I've seen all I need to see with B.B. on our sideline.  This man must go!  Quit trying to use the uncertainty of the future as a reason to maintain status quo.  BB freaking cost them the game Saturday and I for one am tired of watching it.  Please move on!

dfwalumdad

November 21, 2017, 09:53:55 pm #34 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:19:39 pm by dfwalumdad
Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 21, 2017, 09:44:07 pm
I think we can win in the SEC but historically that has only happened in spurts and I believe that will be the case going forward too.  We have 6 seasons of 9 or more wins in 25 years.  Our overall record in SEC is under 500 and that was the case before CBB also.  But I'm sure the promise land is right around the corner, or the next one.  I hope so anyway.

both petrino and nutt had an over 50% conference winning record in the sec.

bert's winning percentage in the sec is 28%.

i was born in the morning son but it wasn't yesterday morning.

texas tush hog

Gus or Norvell WILL win 8 or more next year, take that to the bank. Bielema would not, he is not a good coach. Rode Alvarez coat tails for years and fooled Jeffie and it cost Jeffie his job, thank God.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 09:53:55 pm

bert's winning percentage in the sec is 39%.

Good to know that you'll be happy with the next coach going .500 in the conference. I was starting to worry that people on here were expecting regular 10 win seasons. Just want the new coach to have a chance of succeeding before the pitchforks come out.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 09:56:35 pm
Gus or Norvell WILL win 8 or more next year, take that to the bank. Bielema would not.
So win all of our OOC games and go 4-4 in the SEC. I think that will be a good start but also an attainable one. We have a lot of players returning next year and barring injuries like we suffered this year the next coach should do well.

texas tush hog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 09:58:44 pm
Good to know that you'll be happy with the next coach going .500 in the conference. I was starting to worry that people on here were expecting regular 10 win seasons. Just want the new coach to have a chance of succeeding before the pitchforks come out.

Gus or Norvell could very well win 10 next year, but 8 is an almost certainty with the returning talent and the favorable schedule.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 09:53:55 pm

bert's winning percentage in the sec is 39%.

Then you obviously know that the SEC era wasn't just Petrino and Nutt. 

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 10:03:06 pm

Gus or Norvell could very well win 10 next year, but 8 is an almost certainty with the returning talent and the favorable schedule.
Only 3 true SEC road games at Auburn-gonna be tough, Miss Sate-another tough one, and Mizzouri-always unpredictable. We also play A&M in Arlington. We also add Vanderbilt from the east which is not as hard as SC.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 09:58:44 pm

yes son i expect more than 1 sec win. 2 would be a 100% improvement over your boy bertospher.

my god son look at how far your expectations have fallen. before bert it had never occurred to a razorback coach that they could win no SEC games and keep their job.

you're approaching this as if it could be worse. for that to be true you'd have to go back to 50-52 and the otis douglas era.

it can't be worse child. he is the worse coach since joining the sec. those are the facts and they are not in dispute.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 21, 2017, 10:07:18 pm
Then you obviously know that the SEC era wasn't just Petrino and Nutt.

great ford won 40% of his SEC games bertrum won 28% do we really need to keep going ?

dfwalumdad

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 10:09:01 pm
yes son i expect more than 1 sec win. 2 would be a 100% improvement over your boy bertospher.

my god son look at how far your expectations have fallen. before bert it had never occurred to a razorback coach that they could win no SEC games and keep their job.

you're approaching this as if it could be worse. for that to be true you'd have to go back to 50-52 and the otis douglas era.

it can't be worse child. he is the worse coach since joining the sec. those are the facts and they are not in dispute.
Ok, ok, I'm officially intrigued.  What's the win totals of the next coach for years 1-2.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 10:09:01 pm

Trying to talk about the next coach so try and keep up son.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 21, 2017, 10:18:02 pm
Ok, ok, I'm officially intrigued.  What's the win totals of the next coach for years 1-2.

i have no idea, all i can tell you is that only one coach has never won at least a single SEC game. even john l. won 2.

the law of probability would suggest that our next coach will do better.

snoblind

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 21, 2017, 02:41:22 pm

It will be nice to have a coach who can actually win 8 games in the regular season.  Gave your boy 5 years and he could not do it once, one conference record .500 of better.

Biggus Piggus

What disappoints me about Bret Bielema is how completely his leadership failed. I had two things going into this season:

* The story from the insiders. Offensive line fixed, skill positions restocked, brilliant move to new defensive scheme. We were going to be an all-around balanced football team.

* The obvious number of moving parts. The offense's dependence on experience at wide receiver. A nagging doubt that the five best offensive linemen were ever going to get on the field, in the right positions. Shortage of players who fit in a 3-4 defensive scheme. Special teams, always.

I got sucked in enough by the insiders to believe that it - at least - was going to be fun to watch. It was never fun to watch. Not once. This Arkansas team was not ready to begin the season and got worse as its depth disintegrated.

This was the second consecutive season in which Bielema was totally mistaken about how ready his team was to play football. It looked as though players' development was ruined by putting them at the wrong positions, then being forced to rescramble the roster to address disasters. Nothing kills continuity more than poor leadership. Players cannot develop the skills and knowledge they need if the plan is in constant flux. What happened over and over - Coaches made poor decisions, players suffered for it, and coaches either were embarrassed into adjusting, or remained stubborn and kept on the wrong path.

The worst misfit about having Bielema at Arkansas was his Big Ten mentality, but not in the way you believe. Wisconsin is a fine university with high academic standards, in a conference full of similar schools. Big Ten teams do not have to persuade players that off-field performance standards should be high. Arkansas is not going to get that caliber of student playing football, sorry. If your head coach yanks players around because he doesn't like their study habits or degree of obedience, at Arkansas you're going to end up with many of the best players not playing. And Arkansas cannot afford to do that.

Bielema wrecked his team's chemistry with this never-settled conflict between those who sucked up to Coach and those who thought it was stupid to bench some of the best talent. It just so happens that this was a really bad season to have his team fall apart. Schedule was too difficult + exposed all the weaknesses early on.

It is hard to judge the talent level on the Arkansas roster after this gross mismanagement. Razorback football could improve simply from someone throwing out the conflicting standards, putting in sounds schemes, putting players at positions where they fit, and playing those who earn playing time with their ability. This football program was badly mismanaged by a head coach who seemed to be only partly engaged, overconfident, lacking a sense of urgency about serious problems, lacking a shred of self-discipline.

I hope enough players are left for the next coach to reassemble a team. Bielema was a bigger disaster than Bobby Petrino was, by far. Bielema was a fraud. The deeper he got into the SEC challenge, the slower he adjusted, the faster our opponents outflanked us with talent, schemes and game plans. Our time of being competitive against Alabama and capable of trading blows with LSU is long past. Bielema started falling behind last season and never recognized it. His inability to recognize the seriousness of his shortcomings makes his entire time at Arkansas seem like a scam.

Bret Bielema destroyed his own credibility, and that is why he has to go.
[CENSORED]!

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 21, 2017, 10:34:51 pm
i have no idea, all i can tell you is that only one coach has never won at least a single SEC game. even john l. won 2.

the law of probability would suggest that our next coach will do better.
Because 1969, 1991, 1995 or any year in history is just like 2017.