Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In your opinion, what went wrong?

Started by Sho Nuff, November 21, 2017, 12:53:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 05:27:01 pm
Without a doubt his worst hire, and it was obvious from day one.  It was ironic, too, because I always kind of viewed BB as the college version of Rex Ryan...long on bravado, short on coaching.  It made sense that he'd go out and hire a charismatic guy off Ryan's staff...if the assistant to the assistant does count as coaching staff.

Replacing Charlie Partridge, an absolute stud recruiter, with Rory Segrest was also an atrocious hire.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig Worshipper

Choosing to play power football in the SEC with Arkansas' inherent recruiting disadvantages would only have worked with a disciplined Jim Grobe-like aggressive redshirting program for linemen.
Coach Bielema let his ego get the better of him and was very undisciplined in his approach right from the start here.

I really like the guy and wish him well but he has no one to blame for failure but himself.

pigskenG

We usually get out recruited by Ala, LSU, AU, TA&M, GA, TN, FL . ..
and we go back and forth with Ole Miss, Miss St, SC, KY . . .
and we do better than Vandy.

So, what's our won - loss record with these teams ?

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on November 21, 2017, 05:28:28 pm
Choosing to play power football in the SEC with Arkansas' inherent recruiting disadvantages would only have worked with a disciplined Jim Grobe-like aggressive redshirting program for linemen.
Coach Bielema let his ego get the better of him and was very undisciplined in his approach right from the start here.

I really like the guy and wish him well but he has no one to blame for failure but himself.

It would have worked fine if he had recruited/developed a better OL. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoginsavga

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 21, 2017, 01:52:30 pm
Any offense will work if you have the personnel.  He never had the personnel.

If this is true why are there no teams running the wishbone today? Why no single wing teams? My theory is because the defenses caught up with those offenses. If you don't have an innovative coach his team will eventually begin losing to teams with inferior talent that has better game plans.

IronHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 21, 2017, 05:27:15 pm
He was in over his head from the very beginning. He has no good sense for evaluating talent. Zero. Once Partridge bounced, the talent from Florida dried up. Pittman quit recruiting when Chaney left. Petrinos players were essential to our 3rd year and the mild success we had over the last half of the year.

No good at evaluating Talent. Horrible preparation for games. Horrible in game management....in over his head...badly.

PRJ

The Viking kid is gonna be good for the next coach 😄
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 21, 2017, 12:53:21 pm
Besides losing too many games, what went wrong with Brett?  He seemed to be on the right track until the last 2 games of last year.  This year has been a train wreck.  I understand that we have experienced an inordinate of injuries to key players.  However, we looked bad at the very beginning of the season.  What do you think happened that caused us to spiral downward?
Signs showed well before last 2 games of last year. See Toledo game 2 years ago, see Texas Tech game same year. See La Tech game, see Auburn game, see 4 of 5 Miss St games, see all 5 Texas A&M games, et al.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Wildhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 21, 2017, 05:31:40 pm
Signs showed well before last 2 games of last year. See Toledo game 2 years ago, see Texas Tech game same year. See La Tech game, see Auburn game, see 4 of 5 Miss St games, see all 5 Texas A&M games, et al.

There were some positive signs the second half of 2014.  The Toledo game is when he lost me.  The Texas Tech game the next week only reinforced that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 05:28:16 pm
Replacing Charlie Partridge, an absolute stud recruiter, with Rory Segrest was also an atrocious hire.

But not quite as glaring IMO given that we've never been worth much on the DL in recent history...save for a few exceptions.  On OL, however, we've usually been pretty decent historically.  Much easier to sign decent OL than DL...especially DT.

The other thing is that it's very possible that buys like Segrest and Anderson were his best options at the time.  People already have a hard time admitting how difficult it is the convince SEC talented players to come to Fayetteville.  That goes for coaches too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

IronHog

Picking Allen over Mitchell

Playing Jones over Peters

That's Rutgers

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 21, 2017, 05:33:40 pm
But not quite as glaring IMO given that we've never been worth much on the DL in recent history...save for a few exceptions.  On OL, however, we've usually been pretty decent historically.  Much easier to sign decent OL than DL...especially DT.

The other thing is that it's very possible that buys like Segrest and Anderson were his best options at the time.  People already have a hard time admitting how difficult it is the convince SEC talented players to come to Fayetteville.  That goes for coaches too.

Not sure about DL coaches, but I know for a fact that there were much more qualified OL coaches that wanted the job.

Also, keep in mind that Partridge didn't just recruit DL.  He's responsible for Alex Collins, after all.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 05:35:33 pm
Not sure about DL coaches, but I know for a fact that there were much more qualified OL coaches that wanted the job.

Also, keep in mind that Partridge didn't just recruit DL.  He's responsible for Alex Collins, after all.

Partridge doesn't even need to be mentioned.  It's goes without saying.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 05:35:33 pm

He got about half a good season out of Alex Collins

Too fat and sloppy

buldozer

What went wrong? CBB is a terrible coach. Its that simple. A good coach:

1) recruits good players and is a good recruiter
2) Hires great assistant coaches
3) Evaluates great talent and puts it on the field in the best suited positions
4) Is dedicated and eats, breathes and lives with his program (no time for partying)
5) Sets the example of work ethic and dedication for his coaches and players
6) Connects with the average fan and major donors alike
7) Shows confidence and gives all around him confidence
8)Motivates players, fans and donors
9) Holds coaches and players accountable and is not afraid to make changes

CBB exhibited little if any of these traits when you look at him closely

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on November 21, 2017, 05:37:06 pm

Too fat and sloppy

Entirely different discussion, but I'll just say that I disagree and leave it at that.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

The current OL coach for Penn State, Matt Limegrover, was interested in our job after Pittman left. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

OL recruiting

Defensive recruiting

Style of play with acquirable talent

ballz2thewall

it appears to be a simple failure of leadership.
The rest of the frog.

jbigs77

He got tired and he got lazy. He just couldn't hide his lying eyes.

pignatious

Recruiting busts, losing Pittman, lack of preparation, huge ego, laziness, bad hire in Anderson, dc ineptitude last year, lack of halftime adjustments. He was just completely over-rated as a coach. Knew after Missouri and VT he was done. Lack of team motivation was apparent. He can't inspire anyone at this point. Should have been replaced last year.
Freedom is never free.

HogBreath

Quote from: Uncommon on November 21, 2017, 01:33:02 pm
I've never gotten why offensive line play was put as Bielema's thing by the media.  Offensive line play is WISCONSIN's thing.  Bielema has never coached an offensive line in his life.  How would he know the ins and outs of it.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be held responsible.  Just saying I don't get why he was identified as an offensive line guru.
Well, he danged sure couldn't hang his hat on his great special teams coaching.  And you saw his defenses,  a troop of girl scouts would have done as well.  Nothing left for the dude.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

JaketheSnake

Enos?  He was brought in to revamp our passing game, but we now have zero offensive identity.  We don't do anything well.  Maybe we screen okay this season. 

And that OL coach.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 21, 2017, 08:16:32 pm
Enos?  He was brought in to revamp our passing game, but we now have zero offensive identity.  We don't do anything well.  Maybe we screen okay this season. 

And that OL coach.

The question is...was he left alone to actually revamp the offense? 

GolfHog

Everything. He was in over his head from the start. Without Alvarez he just didn't know what he was doing. All hat, no cattle.

Sho Nuff

I didn't officially turn on him until the South Carolina game this year.  It was clear that he had no plan.

SchrodingersHog

Besides losing too many games, what went wrong with Brett?  He seemed to be on the right track until the last 2 games of last year.  This year has been a train wreck.  I understand that we have experienced an inordinate of injuries to key players.  However, we looked bad at the very beginning of the season.  What do you think happened that caused us to spiral downward?

He seemed to be on the right track last year, until the last two games, because the SEC was way down last year.  He was in over his head from year one.  The first clue was the Rutgers game.

pigbacon

In no specific order:
- losing Pittman
- Pepsi over Coke
- Being Bret Bielema
- Rutgers
- Borderline Erotic
- We hired a newlywed
- throwing the "A"
- front facing hog logo
- absent hog logo from helmets/awful uniforms
- wearing pullovers late August in 90 deg heat
- uncommon

hog.goblin

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 01:03:09 pm
He was done when the 14 and 15 OL classes were busts. 

Pittman saw it and got out of dodge

Razorback2010

Losing Sam Pittman and then not hiring an adequate replacement.  Starts and finishes with the Offensive Line.  Ours has been terrible the last two years.  We can't run the ball, and we can't protect the quarterback.  The 2015 Offensive line... has  3 players playing in the NFL, and Ragnow will be the 4th.  Who off this line will play snaps in the NFL?  Maybe Froholdt... and that's a big maybe. 

rtr

How about the Rutgers game in 2013?
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

Quote from: IronHog on November 21, 2017, 05:37:06 pm

Too fat and sloppy
Alex Collins was the best thing CBB did for this program.  Without him imagine what the record would have been.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Batesville Hogfan

Weak defense. Teams that score 40-50 pts per game can afford to be average or even weak on defense but pro style teams have to be above average there. Only semi-good year CBB had at Ark was the year our defense allowed under 20 ppg. He also totally whiffed on Anderson at OL Coach.

hawaiianhogster

I do know this. As the season wore on I could see the toll it has taken on BB. His facial expression changed more from happy and confident to worried and sad to hopeless. To me he appeared to be gaining weight each week. I could tell by watching the game on TV he was in trouble. That's how obvious it was to me. Whether it was because his team never lived up to his expectations, the injuries, the young team, or just feeling bad for the team. Only BB knows what he is feeling.

moses_007

Bielema's running back by committee plan just flat sucked this season.  One series Whaley would be the runner, next series it would be David Williams, next series Hammonds, etc.  It didn't matter to our coaches if one of them was really doing great or not...they continued with this same running back rotation bull.  What the hell were they thinking?

And to top that off, every time a player made a big play, that player immediately came out and was subbed.  What the hell?  Why didn't they leave the player that was hot in the game and let him make 4 or 5 great plays?  I just don't get it.

I think this totally proves the ineptitude of this coaching staff.  Bielema doesn't have a clue what he's doing.  He needs to take his millions and buy him a car dealership and sell new cars.  He might be successful at that.

UA1985

When CBB lost Sam Pittman, he failed to replace him with a coach who would support using road grader linemen in simple straightforward blocking schemes. Wallace, Merrick, Gibson and others would be more effective in that system. We had established an identity as the largest oline in football and it was effective against all but the top defenses. I think good RBs found it appealing too.

Now, our oline doesn't whip anyone, not even the nonconference opponents.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 01:05:13 pm
Awful OL recruiting/planning.

If we had a good OL, we're not talking about Bielema getting fired right now.

A good many players recruited were good prospects.  They just failed to live up to their billing.  It happens.  It just happened to too many all at the same time.  :(

nichc85

It has been interesting to read all the views on what went wrong. Most all the problems have been addressed. I like Coach Bielema but the number and magnitude of the problems make a change necessary.

First, let me say that he has been around a lot of good coaches in his career. He came here knowing what it takes to be successful. He had coached under CEO type coaches until Wisconsin where I think he had AD interference. He vowed he would hire assistants and let them do their jobs including total control of player evaluation and playing time. Mistake!

Having spent a career as a coach and school administrator you delegate as much as possible but you ultimately are responsible for the success or failure of the program.

Johnny Gibson shows up at his office and says give me a chance. Huh? He does and what do we see? I just think he allowed assistants way too much latitude in who played. They had favorites and Coach Bielema  got blamed for that. Not assertive enough with assistants.

Secondly he was very much a player's coach. Why?

First, I think he is a good guy who wants people to like him. Secondly, lack of depth. When a starter makes mistakes and fails in the mental aspects of the game (fails to do his job as he has been coached to do) he had two choices 1) chew his butt out aka Saban. 2) try to appeal to his pride and show him his mistakes and how they impact the result.

He couldn't do 1 successfully because  if the player didn't respond well there was no depth to replace him that gave us a shot at winning. The other alternative never worked.

moses_007

Hot wife, new kid, hanging out until the wee hours of the morning at a certain private club in Fayetteville.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seebs on November 21, 2017, 01:21:05 pm
Frankly, the coddling of the players and not hitting as much as we are allowed to hit in August. We are soft and weak when facing game situations. Did you see the pillows on the lineman's helmets this past August?

I know the CTE stuff is front and center, but we are soft and when we get hit we squish.

Practice rules are now being watched and regulated by the NCAA. They want it softer. A LOT of teams use all sorts of stuff like soft helmets during practice.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 21, 2017, 01:14:17 pm
Moving on from Chaney which cost us Pittman which lead to our offensive line being a weakness instead of a strength.

Yes, Chaney is doing well at UGA. Of course you knew Pittboss would. Everybody hated Chaney on this board, but the college coaching community did not share your oppinion.

TheRazorback500

RW3, Pulley, and Cornelius happened. If they'd been healthy all year we might not be having this conversation.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

RideTillIDieHawg

Bert just isn't a good game coach and his style breeds weak minded players.

When he was hired if you looked at his Wisconsin record against Top 25 teams it was not good at all. He largely created his record by taking over a solid program and then consistently beating bad teams. When it came to crunch time he lacked the game management skills and clutch performance.

Moving to the SEC almost every game was tough. He had good assistants when he first got here and if he'd won just half the games he was leading at halftime he'd still be our coach.

HogBreath

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on November 22, 2017, 05:48:42 am
RW3, Pulley, and Cornelius happened. If they'd been healthy all year we might not be having this conversation.
I think all three of those guys were healthy for the Mizzou game last season.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

FANONTHEHILL

I'll commnet next week.  Mark out some time.  It will be a long post.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteRW3, Pulley, and Cornelius happened. If they'd been healthy all year we might not be having this conversation.

That could have possibly gotten us one more win, but it's not reasonable to suggest that in the game of college football "if only we had not had any injuries the entire year, then we could have been good".

Every team we played this year had injuries also.  I doubt we were much above the average in terms of lost games to starters due to injury.  It was a little worse than average or normal, but injuries are always part of the game, every season.

Plus guys still playing while injured and not able to be at their best has a negative impact as well, and that impact is harder to see.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 22, 2017, 06:31:21 am
I'll commnet next week.  Mark out some time.  It will be a long post.

Can't wait.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 21, 2017, 05:27:15 pm
He was in over his head from the very beginning. He has no good sense for evaluating talent. Zero. Once Partridge bounced, the talent from Florida dried up. Pittman quit recruiting when Chaney left. Petrinos players were essential to our 3rd year and the mild success we had over the last half of the year.

No good at evaluating Talent. Horrible preparation for games. Horrible in game management....in over his head...badly.

PRJ

This I agree with.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

CokeHog

All of the above!

Plus whatever the hell he has the team doing at halftime that leads to basically zero adjustments to the game in the second half!
Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoginsavga on November 21, 2017, 05:30:27 pm
If this is true why are there no teams running the wishbone today? Why no single wing teams? My theory is because the defenses caught up with those offenses. If you don’t have an innovative coach his team will eventually begin losing to teams with inferior talent that has better game plans.

Very well said. With the speed and quickness of today's SEC defenses, power running offenses will no longer work. Even Saban figured that out and changed from Bama's traditional power running offense to a form of the spread offense. A power running offense like Bret wanted to run will not work in the SEC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Batesville Hogfan

#1-Bad defense. If you're going to run a pro style offense then you have to play good defense. Other than one year, our defense has been bad and sometimes really bad.

#2-Bad assistant coach hires recently, especially OL, DL, and LB coaches.

#3-Inability to successfully recruit TX. For the most part, it doesn't appear that he ever really tried.