Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Other Side of Coaching

Started by Mike Irwin, November 20, 2017, 08:26:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Martygit

And then, there are just posters
RIP OTR, REV

Martygit

Just so you know- I don't seem to be able to change "posters" to what I really typed which was "a$$holes" from an iPad
RIP OTR, REV

Justagp

I admit after the Auburn game last year, CBB lost my respect as our HC, and I hoped for an immediate departure. That being said like most on here I feel compassion for the man - I can't imagine how difficult it must be to lose time and time again then have to meet the press and once again have to deal with all your failures. I don't believe he was ever a fit in Fayetteville, but I do wish him much success and happiness wherever he may land.

As for the 3 - 4 negative posters on this thread; I hope you don't ever find your job on the line - what goes around comes around...

hog of steele

I can't speak for everybody. So I will just say, class is free. And being rich does not mean you don't deserve basic human respect. CBB should be and will be fired in a few days. There is no need to call anybody names. There is no need to be nasty. Is nastiness the worse sin to beset humanity? No. But it isn't needed. It doesn't help and I bet it is hard on families.

hog of steele

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on November 21, 2017, 09:19:52 pm
Just so you know- I don't seem to be able to change "posters" to what I really typed which was "a$$holes" from an iPad

I am guessing that is an amazing website based autocorrect. Beautiful.

texas tush hog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 21, 2017, 08:50:59 am
The only place he is off, possibly, is by saying majority.  Lots of people who actually had to deal with him in more than a 'meet and greet' fashion seem to feel that way about Long.  To be fair, others don't, but he isn't some great guy that got caught up in palace intrigue.  He absolutely mistreated some good people who didn't deserve it; some others got what they deserved.  It's his inability to distinguish and his manner that got him.

Correct, the man was a first class jerk, and that's being nice. The first time I met him I despised him and it went downhill from there. Bielema was a great guy, who you could not help but like. Just was not the man for the job. I can take the vitriol for Jeffie, but not so much for Bielema.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on November 21, 2017, 09:33:26 am
It doesn't matter if he made 100 million a year. He's still a human being, and as such deserves respect as any other. BB is a good guy. Does he deserve to lose his job? Yes. Does he deserve the absolute hateful crap? Absolutely not.

Exactly. He deserves respect because he acts like a human being unlike some on here apparently.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 21, 2017, 12:07:58 pm
You're gonna have a problem garnering a lot of sympathy for individuals who have made the kind of money that Bielema has made during his tenure here. Typically, the larger issue with losing a job is loss of income. Yeah, he's going to lose income, but he should have plenty stored up for this rainy day that's just ahead. You can call it class envy, or whatever, but it really is hard to spin up much sympathy.

Sympathy and respect for someone that by all indications is a nice person has NOTHING to do with how much money they make. I've worked for people that were super rich and nice and had my respect. I've worked for others that were super rich and big [CENSORED] bags and I didn't respect them as much or at all. One can be tough on the job though and still earn my respect. It's all on how they go about treating people in general. It's the proverbial "not what you say but how you say it" that matters to me.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RideTillIDieHawg

Everyone keeps talking about what a great guy he is.....but what does it say about your character when you are making $4 million a year and can't dedicate yourself to your job or apply the same discipline you ask of your players to yourself?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 22, 2017, 06:01:59 am
Everyone keeps talking about what a great guy he is.....but what does it say about your character when you are making $4 million a year and can't dedicate yourself to your job or apply the same discipline you ask of your players to yourself?

Just because he didn't win enough doesn't mean he wasn't dedicated to his job.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 22, 2017, 07:18:10 am
Just because he didn't win enough doesn't mean he wasn't dedicated to his job.

Certainly agree with you.  He just wasn't a good fit here for whatever reasons.  I have to say I've never wanted to see anyone succeed here more than I wanted him to.  Great guy, represented the school well, good sense of humor.  Bet they miss him at the SEC meeting this year.  ;) 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Mr Jade

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 22, 2017, 06:01:59 am

He dedicated himself to the job, he was just dedicated in the wrong fashion about the wrong things. He made some strange decisions and had some strange ideas, but that doesn't mean he wasn't dedicated or didn't care.

Bielema has looked progressively rougher over the last two seasons. You don't look more and more stressed and hopeless when you don't care. Bielema cared, he just couldn't fix the problem. That's not a personal attack and anyone that thinks he didn't care about the players or the Razorbacks is a fool.

Because you don't have the skill doesn't mean you don't have the heart.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

WilsonHog

Someone mentioned it above; maybe it is a "class warfare" kind of thing.

I've never envied major college coaches. I wouldn't want a job that required me to work seven days a week for half the year. I wouldn't want a job where I got kudos for scheduling "family time" at my office so that my wife and kids could see me. I wouldn't want a job where thousands of people, many of whom couldn't even diagram a play on a white board, criticize me daily.

I don't begrudge what coaches make, for all of those reasons. I could not care less how much our new coach makes; get all he can get, I say.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:28:00 am

I've never envied major college coaches. I wouldn't want a job that required me to work seven days a week for half the year. I wouldn't want a job where I got kudos for scheduling "family time" at my office so that my wife and kids could see me. I wouldn't want a job where thousands of people, many of whom couldn't even diagram a play on a white board, criticize me daily.

I don't begrudge what coaches make, for all of those reasons. I could not care less how much our new coach makes; get all he can get, I say.
Totally agree with all of this. I guess if you have a passion for coaching and you are good at it, you gravitate to the level where you make a lot of $ but the pressure has to be high.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:28:00 am

Bert didn't do these things either. Main reason he's getting fired and why our team sucks.

budcampbellfan

I respect him as a human being.  That has nothing to do with any of this.

Arkansas did not hire him or Long to be human beings or great guys.  They were poor at their jobs.  The teams had no discipline, could not/would not finish games.  We did not hire a dad for the players to "love them."  That's ok but they were not hired for that.  They were hired to win championships or at least compete for one.  Not even close.  Go cry baby somewhere else.

I doubt very many of you whinners even knew him except on TV.  And if you did, so what?  He failed.  He did not know what he was doing from all results.  I wish him the best but glad he's being given another year.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

ifghog

He has made more money than us...so what??? Why begrudge him. He didn't get it done here but so what. Thats what people who won at the major d1 level get paid. He deserved it.  Guess what he didn't perform as well here so his next contract wont be as big. .its how the world works. I hate it didnt work out. I liked him because he was genuine. Hard to find that anymore. I wish him the best. Some of you guys are just miserable. I hate it for you and your families.   

jkstock04

The idea of begrudging someone because they have become wealthy is hilarious. That's 100% missing the point here. Understand, I love capitalism and the idea of it. Where I get sideways is when the pity card/nice guy stuff starts. For one thing our last coach got thrown in the fiery pit of fan and media hell for his off the field misdoings...Bielema seems to get a pass because he's a "nice guy." I take issue with that.

Then....this morphs into "well he's a really great coach, he just couldn't get it done at Arkansas because it's such a tough job." I have an even bigger issue with this notion. Both Houston Nutt and Petrino proved it is possible to have moderate to good success here. Maybe not championship great...but good seasons are a possibility. You just take a look at the D. Nowkhah deal the other day...we are in danger of this becoming our permanent perception aka Vanderbilt among media and younger generation fans.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: budcampbellfan on November 22, 2017, 11:50:36 am
I respect him as a human being.  That has nothing to do with any of this.

Not me. Makes millions to be the face of the program and looks like an unshaven good year blimp.

clutch

Quote from: hog of steele on November 21, 2017, 09:06:01 pm
There are a couple here that say the animosity wasn't toward the coach. I just read a post that called him Shrek. The animosity was and still is for the coach. Even after he is fired some folks can't just be nice.

I agree. There was definitely a lot of animosity towards him that just seemed like too much. You think he is a bad coach? Fine. You don't feel sorry for him because he's made millions? Fine. However, all the personal attacks, calling him fat, shrek, dumb, slob, etc., does nothing but make the fan base look bad.

I do feel for him, not because he is going to lose his income, but because as a coach you develop a lot of close relationships with your players and staff. Guys at this level have quit worrying about money long ago. Sure, they want to make as much as possible, but they aren't doing it for the money. They are doing it for the players and because they want to feel the sense of accomplishment that comes with being successful at the highest level. He's going to feel the feeling of failure for the first time in his life. He's going to leave here with the regret of unfinished business that he can never finish. He's going to leave with the feeling of letting down a lot of players that he's worked his tail off for the past few years. He's going to leave here knowing that he's hated by many of the fans that he wanted so badly to give a winning product to. He represented our university very well in most aspects. Unfortunately, the one he's judged on is the one he failed at.

clutch

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2017, 08:16:15 am
The idea of begrudging someone because they have become wealthy is hilarious. That's 100% missing the point here. Understand, I love capitalism and the idea of it. Where I get sideways is when the pity card/nice guy stuff starts. For one thing our last coach got thrown in the fiery pit of fan and media hell for his off the field misdoings...Bielema seems to get a pass because he's a "nice guy." I take issue with that.

Then....this morphs into "well he's a really great coach, he just couldn't get it done at Arkansas because it's such a tough job." I have an even bigger issue with this notion. Both Houston Nutt and Petrino proved it is possible to have moderate to good success here. Maybe not championship great...but good seasons are a possibility. You just take a look at the D. Nowkhah deal the other day...we are in danger of this becoming our permanent perception aka Vanderbilt among media and younger generation fans.

Petrino got vilified by the media and the fans because his misdoings where so public. They were made worse because people didn't like him. That's something he brought on himself. He was unfriendly to many people. A large portion of that group was media members. You don't want your missteps reported, then you better befriend the media.

Bielema has given the media and fans unbelievable access. He makes himself and players available multiple times a week. He treats everyone with respect when he talks to them, and makes them feel like he is interested.

I have no idea if Bielema really has the personal issues that a few on here claim. I do think he likes to drink a little, but he's a grown man and can do as he pleases. You can be a good person and enjoy a few drinks. I think the stories of him being an excessive alcoholic are probably embellished quite a bit. I find it funny that these stories only arise about him when people are angry with him. You didn't hear the stories out of Wisconsin until he left them. You didn't hear much about them here until things went way south win/loss wise. If you did hear it before then, it was from the few vocal minority that hated the guy from the get go, and they were carrying those stories forward from his Wisconsin days.

Like I said, I don't know whether the stories are true or not. I just have a hard time believing them because they only seem like people piling on. I've seen the guy out in public quite a few times and never seen him slobbering drunk. Just seems like people throwing stuff out there hoping that it sticks in case the record wasn't enough to get him booted. 

Wants2Win

he did every thing he was supposed to other than win football games. Fire him. Move on.

Polecat

I can't imagine how horrible it must be to make around $20 million over 5 years and then to get a 7 figure severance package. Poor guy. Hope he can find a way to survive this
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Polecat on November 23, 2017, 10:54:58 pm
I can't imagine how horrible it must be to make around $20 million over 5 years and then to get a 7 figure severance package.

They may have to downgrade to a 6 bedroom house, with a smaller pool.

This is my non-signature signature.

husker71

did somebody put a gun to the bots and make them approve and offer this contract to BB.   You are bitching about the wrong people here.  BB did what all of us would have done    taken their offer and either accepting or rejecting it. 

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 23, 2017, 10:56:00 pm
They may have to downgrade to a 6 bedroom house, with a smaller pool.

Don't think he fits in a smaller pool.

tomw

There are things more important than a game...or a record..keep it classy or dont post..no one on this board could have done any better...or you would be coaching instead of griping

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 09:02:12 am
Here's what I don't get.

Bielema has had plenty of critics since the day he was hired, and plenty more since then due to his won/loss record. By all appearances, his time as the Razorbacks' head coach is about to come to an end. 

Shouldn't that be enough? Shouldn't it be enough that he's going to lose his job, that he's going to have to uproot his family and sell his home, that his professional reputation has taken a huge hit while in Fayetteville?

Unfortunately, for some of our fans it isn't. They certainly lack the class to simply wish the man well and move forward. It's like they hold some personal grudge against him.

Bret Bielema is not the first football coach who has failed at the University of Arkansas. He will not be the last one to fail, either.

This season was hard enough just because of how the games went—and it was obvious that Bielema was headed out—but all the above-and-beyond criticism was hard to keep reading here. Then there were the chest beaters who wanted congratulated because they said Bielema was the wrong hire from the beginning. And all the people who couldn't cheer for the Hogs because they were afraid one quality win would extend his contract. Geez. All this was slowing inching toward the internal fighting present during the late Nutt days (even though the reasons were totally different) where people were called out just for wanting us to win, not lose. I didn't want to go through that again.

I'm glad it's over too, and I wish Bielema well. Now, everyone take a deep breath and move on.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 09:02:12 am
Unfortunately, for some of our fans it isn't. They certainly lack the class to simply wish the man well and move forward. It's like they hold some personal grudge against him.
Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 25, 2017, 12:16:39 am
This season was hard enough just because of how the games went—and it was obvious that Bielema was headed out—but all the above-and-beyond criticism was hard to keep reading here. Then there were the chest beaters who wanted congratulated because they said Bielema was the wrong hire from the beginning. And all the people who couldn't cheer for the Hogs because they were afraid one quality win would extend his contract. Geez. All this was slowing inching toward the internal fighting present during the late Nutt days (even though the reasons were totally different) where people were called out just for wanting us to win, not lose. I didn't want to go through that again.

I'm glad it's over too, and I wish Bielema well. Now, everyone take a deep breath and move on.

This is/was approaching those final HDN days, when fans were spending most of their time bitching at each other. And yeah, some people being critical of those who actually wanted our football team to win a game. That was ridiculous. Our fan base is truly made up of lunatics.

I turned on Bielema part way through last year, but I was keeping an open mind. I was hoping to rebound this year, but it wasn't to be. Now that he is gone, the part I'm happy about is that Arkansas has new leadership coming. I'm not spending any more energy piling on our former coach. I also wish him the best.

HogHomer

Quote from: RideTillIDieHawg on November 22, 2017, 10:48:09 am
Bert didn't do these things either. Main reason he's getting fired and why our team sucks.
You think Bret didn't do these things. But you have no clue and are reaching. You probably have never stepped foot in the facility so you would have no idea how much a coach does or does not do.

BallHog1

Quote from: zuko on November 20, 2017, 10:55:41 pm
I can't buy it Mike.  BB getting 3.4 million a year with a net worth of 8 mil and could get another 14.5 mill in the buyout. So, how can you expect me to take my hanky out and cry along with that whole group. I can't. The guy who gets up every morning to eek out a living for his family won't see that 3.4 mil in  al lifetime. They didn't deliver and have to be held accountable and it's hard for me to accept being accountable is getting rewarded 14.5 mil for being fired. So, no tears from me. BB won the popularity contest but didn't win enough games. Looking forward to new people with a fresh start hopefully with SEC personnel but no novices, please. Have a good day.
Really just sounds like you're jealous..