Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Much has been said about the fourth and two play

Started by Piggfoot, November 20, 2017, 07:42:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Does anyone have a clip of the play that they would share.
I understand the play was designed for Nance but apparently he was injured and the coachs thought Pettway could do it.
I just listened to Allen say he thought it was a good play and that they were going to score but when the play began Allen thought Pettway was going to do one thing and he did another.
This is awful. As team leader and captain of the team Allen should have made certain Pettway knew his route. The play was critical. Unforgivable.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 20, 2017, 07:42:38 pm
I understand the play was designed for Nance but apparently he was injured and the coachs thought Pettway could do it.
I just listened to Allen say he thought it was a good play and that they were going to score but when the play began Allen thought Pettway was going to do one thing and he did another.
This is awful. As team leader and captain of the team Allen should have made certain Pettway knew his route. The play was critical. Unforgivable.

Seriously man. Give it a rest. All you do is bash players and it is very tiring. Can you please go troll someone else's players. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wild Bill Hog

Why should the players be expected to know what to do when the coaches don't?

PorkSoda

erm, the WR was blocked from running that route, so he shortened the route, but Allen was already putting the ball in the air. 

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The 4th and 2 play is pointless.

The real problem is the two 3rd and 3's that they didn't even try to run the ball. If you can't sack up and get 3 yards when it counts by overpowering the D for just one play you don't deserve to win.

Both times they chose to go to a glaring weakness the team has had for 2 seasons instead of doing what we were told would be our bread and butter and the identity of the football program. I just hate how this team plays and wilts at any sign of adversity.

Bielema choosing to go for it on 4th and 2 is just another example of the predictable unpredictability that has plagued his entire career at Arkansas. We scapegoated Jim Chaney when the problem was the HC all along.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

jgphillips3

Perhaps, when the WR for that play got hurt immediately before the play, they should have changed the play call.  I know.  Crazy talk...

cjack

You should definitely change the first sentence of your signature to 100% behind coaches. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

East Clintwood

What I find strange about the call is that Bert said in his comments that they decided at halftime to go for it on the next critical down.

Really?  They decided to go for it without knowing any of the circumstances -- game time, position, score, etc.  Just we're going for on the next 4th down play?  4th and 2 or 4th and 25?  Doesn't matter, we're going for it.

This is what they do at halftime instead of making adjustments?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jgphillips3

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 20, 2017, 07:51:46 pm
This is what they do at halftime instead of making adjustments?

It would explain some things wouldn't it.

hog.goblin

So your suggestion is that before each play, Austin should have a meeting with each player on the field and make sure they know what they are going to do.  Otherwise he is a poor leader?

HogBreath

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 07:49:20 pm
Perhaps, when the WR for that play got hurt immediately before the play, they should have changed the play call.  I know.  Crazy talk...
Exactly...what a bunch of dumb arce coaches.  Idiots.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bphi11ips

I wonder what Texas fans would have said had James Street overthrown Randy Peschel.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hog.goblin

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 08:41:00 pm
I wonder what Texas fans would have said had James Street overthrown Randy Peschel.

"Thank goodness for the (eminent) pass interference call."

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

TeufelHog

"The real problem is the two 3rd and 3's that they didn't even try to run the ball. If you can't sack up and get 3 yards when it counts by overpowering the D for just one play you don't deserve to win."

^^^^THIS^^^^

. . . and it's been this way ALL YEAR and most of last season.  We've had fundamental problems controlling the line of scrimmage against lesser opponents for 2 Years running.  Absolutely unacceptable.

Moe wins

Should've ran downhill with Williams on 3rd down. And if needed, run downhill with Williams on 4th.

Same numbskull play call as the dribble play on 4th down. Same numbskull call on steamboat with Storey.

It seemed so obvious to me, that we were able to power at them for short yardage when we wanted to. I don't understand why Enos feels the need to get cute when it's short & crucial.

Shrevepork

HogBreath

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 20, 2017, 08:17:21 pm
So your suggestion is that before each play, Austin should have a meeting with each player on the field and make sure they know what they are going to do.  Otherwise he is a poor leader?
Maybe even this coming week before the big Mizzou tilt, AA and some of the other players, can all get together and rehearse some of these plays. 

Maybe even run the routes with AA even going so far as to throw the football to the designated pass catcher.  Heck, get some of the defensive guys and let them try to stop the play.

I'd even get Coach B, Coach Enos and Coach Rhoads to attend the meeting and lend their considerable expertise.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

code red

l am certain Williams could have got it.  Not Allen's fault.  Williams got screwed on carries this year cause Burp plays his favs.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hoglady

Quote from: Moe wins on November 21, 2017, 04:22:12 am
Should've ran downhill with Williams on 3rd down. And if needed, run downhill with Williams on 4th.

Same numbskull play call as the dribble play on 4th down. Same numbskull call on steamboat with Storey.

It seemed so obvious to me, that we were able to power at them for short yardage when we wanted to. I don't understand why Enos feels the need to get cute when it's short & crucial.

Williams was having a good day - I agree he was our best chance for success.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Razorfox

Unforgivable?  Good gosh, I would hate to think how much anger and bitterness someone like you could harbor if someone actually did something horrific to you. 

Seriously, every Christian teaching as well as many other religions and even secular psychology says that forgiveness is a good thing for everyone involved.  I would encourage you to look into it. 

hogginbama

Its about the read from the receiver and the QB. It is not as simple as the backyard games where it was "Jimmy, run to the trash barrel and cut right". Depending on the position of the DB there are a few options. That is why it takes a while for the QBs and receivers to get on the same page. In this instance, with the DB being between Pettway and the goal line, facing the line of scrimmage I can understand Allen reading it as Pettway blowing right by him, hence the longer pass. It looked as if Pettway got to the point of the DB and read it as a back shoulder throw.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

HF#1

They put all their eggs in one basket when they needed 2 yards. No check downs, no outlet receivers, no escape. The kicker is, it wasn't even to Nance or Stewart or anyone who has produced at that position. It was Pettway.

It was a summation of Bielema's coaching career at Arkansas in one play.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Piggfoot

November 21, 2017, 09:06:06 am #23 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:17:23 am by Piggfoot
Quote from: Razorfox on November 21, 2017, 07:36:41 am
Unforgivable?  Good gosh, I would hate to think how much anger and bitterness someone like you could harbor if someone actually did something horrific to you. 

Seriously, every Christian teaching as well as many other religions and even secular psychology says that forgiveness is a good thing for everyone involved.  I would encourage you to look into it. 
Then I suppose you should have forgiven me for my statement instead of posting a holier than thou remark.

The play was a critical play.  Bielema had already said at halftime should the need arise they were going to go for it on fourth down. There was ample time in the locker room to discuss everyone's responsibility even with the backups. If not then a timeout should have been called.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

lakecityhog

Foot, there is an old saying that goes--- If you find yourself in a hole----QUIT DIGGING!!!!!

BallHog1

Seriously??? Does Allen need to show everyone where the bathroom is and how to flush? Or is that the coaches job?
If the player didn't run the play the way it was designed, that's on him...nobody else.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LJHOG

kodiakisland

Quote from: Razorfox on November 21, 2017, 07:36:41 am

Hyperbole. I would encourage you to look into it.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hog.goblin

Quote from: HogBreath on November 21, 2017, 05:07:42 am
Maybe even this coming week before the big Mizzou tilt, AA and some of the other players, can all get together and rehearse some of these plays. 

Maybe even run the routes with AA even going so far as to throw the football to the designated pass catcher.  Heck, get some of the defensive guys and let them try to stop the play.

I'd even get Coach B, Coach Enos and Coach Rhoads to attend the meeting and lend their considerable expertise.

I believe this is normally referred to as "practice" - and it's a play they practiced many times according to Enos.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: BallHog1 on November 21, 2017, 09:58:41 am
Seriously??? Does Allen need to show everyone where the bathroom is and how to flush? Or is that the coaches job?
If the player didn't run the play the way it was designed, that's on him...nobody else.

How do you know AA didn't make the wrong read?  All we truly know is that the play didn't work.  AA hasn't been on the same page with the receivers all season but we have no way of knowing why and probably never will until FANONTHEHILL give us some inside scoop when the season ends.

SamBuckhart

If it had worked it would be a great call. Too bad that 15 wasn't running the Wild Hog.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

SemperFi

If you're going to roll the dice then go with what you know and not that stupid play which in most cases would be a 50/50 chance at success. The Wild Hog has proven it's worth in the playbook and not sure why they didn't give that a shot. Austin Allen has not thrown the deep ball well all season, even when he's had time to throw it. That play was doomed from the get go.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

N HOG

All of this ignores the obvious fact that going for it in that situation was imbecilic.

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 21, 2017, 11:09:00 pm
I'm more perplexed by this coaching staff calling for a field goal from the 2 yard line while down 7 in the 4th quarter against TCU.